Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Good film, big fan of PS: the bad guys won in the first post-credits scene.

Lt. Danger posted:

actually guys, I think you'll find Tony Stark gave up arms dealing back in Iron Man 1, so the global kill drone satellite system must have been created by some nameless bureaucratic minion acting without his knowledge
I think it might've been the guy in the film who made all the drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How can the concluding scene of a film be a "spoiler"?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think the first credit sequence is really a sequel hook so much as "the actual ending of the film". (Spiderman FFH) It reveals what Quentin Beck's backup plan actually was, and that it was completely successful. Mysterio is a renowned hero, the guy who knows his true nature is discredited and even if Beck is dead his team can still "revive" him and continue with their plan once they've rebuilt their gear. It's the conclusion of the story and indispensable to the film.

The second sequence reveals a twist in the film you just watched, although that one is mainly setting up for future films.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 4, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We do see Stark backslide into pro-Ultronism after the snap in Endgame. The film could've done with one more beat about how EDITH was bad but I guess they wanted to focus on Peter instead (which I think the film does well).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

But anyone could watch Catgirl Pocahontas based on positive word of mouth while Sombre BTTF2 has a significant barrier to entry. I'n surprised it's done as well as it has given it has a more limited audience than most Marvel films.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The success of Avatar is very funny insofar as it's difficult for people to justify or explain.
James Cameron is good at making popular films.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm glad Waititi will almost certainly make another good film that will reach a wide audience, and also that he may yet avoid the Live Action Anime Adaptation black hole.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Waititi said he enjoyed working with Hemsworth on Ragnarok and has previously expressed interest in making a sequel.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

well yeah that's why i'd rather see akira, every loving action movie is half-comedy these days
I don't see how that would fit with Waititi's style of semi-improvised emotionally honest comedy. Not surprising he blew it off to make another fun film with Chris Hemsworth.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That seems like very weak evidence on its own.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I imagine Thour will still have Hemsworth as the main character even if he's no longer 'Thor', he brought Waititi on board in the first place and they want to continue collaborating.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone who can wield the hammer is a Thor. It's a name and a title. Captain America is a Thor. Vision is a Thor. Jane is a Thor.

I hope we also get Frog Thor.
I'd accept it for any other Marvel hero but this one seems kindof weird to me because it's just the dude's name. Seems like anyone else with the hammer should just be Name, God of Thunder but idk.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Hollywood's extreme cowardice regarding LGBT issues is because there are some international markets that still react badly to it. Fantasic Beasts strikes me as the most egregious example of this - Dumbledore was retroactively revealed to be gay after the original series was published and yet the prequel films about him basically ignore it.

Capitalism is never going to effect social change, at best it will follow along after it has happened.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Killmonger is presented as a monster, but as a monster arising from Wakanda's unfair treatment of him (and perhaps its indifference towards the suffering of the wider world). I do think it's very deliberate that you can read him as a criticism of African Americans 'going too far' with anti-racism though, that's probably there to appease more right-wing audiences.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Black Widow movie is set before the character died.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Asgard scenes in Ragnarok were pretty incongruous but I haven't seen anything to suggest Waititi didn't have a good time making the film.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

You can tone down the edgelord stuff of adult-themed comics aimed at teenagers and be successful. But you cannot trim it down to the level of PG-13, losing the ultra-violence, blood and language in the process, and still have it be the same thing.
Sure, but being different doesn't mean it will be unsuccessful. A lot of fans are young enough that they won't remember the Blade films anyway.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean looking up videos that depict a condition your character has seems like research as opposed to weird method acting poo poo.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I do think the messaging in Captain Marvel is very insidious. It frames becoming a military pilot as a uniquely empowering thing to do.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yes, and she overcomes that by becoming a successful pilot and using overwhelming force to crush her enemies.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This seems like grandstanding to secure a better deal, I don't think anyone wants the sequel to the $1.1bn film to not happen.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I suggest you click the link in that tweet before reacting to it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

All indications seem to be that negotiations are ongoing. I agree with the take that the original leak was probably Disney trying to deflate Sony's threat of walking away by demonstrating there'd be a hostile fan reaction.

Interestingly I've seen some rumblings that Disney wanted to bring Venom into the fold, which could be another point of contention.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I have a feeling in my stomach that Eternals might be their first huge flop. Those character designs looked weird and this is by far the most obscure set of characters they’ve built a movie around.

I know Guardians of the Galaxy was also obscure, but that had an easy pitch (it’s Marvel + Star Wars) and the Quill character gave viewers a good entry point into this weird corner of the universe.
Most MCU characters were largely unheard of for mainstream audjences before their films. I think there probably has to be at least one disasterously bad film before audience faith in the MCU drops and there can be a flop, and recent films have been pretty well received.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The gauntlet is a magical wishing device, but also the entire story arc is based upon gathering the things you need to use it. It's not like it comes out of nowhere.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You Were Never Really Here was really good. I trust Phoenix to carry a heavily character-focused movie after that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah, I think that's the only time I've really warmed to the character. They maybe should've played up that dynamic more.

e: although I do think the implication that he learnt Japanese so he could drop some sick owns on yakuza members before killing them is really funny

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

PPG is way more violent than Avengers. People don't regularly get their teeth knocked out in the MCU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah in the films he "adopts" girls from the planets he conquers and moulds them in his image.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The toad line seems like a pretty standard anti-joke that was directed weirdly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It was pretty obviously in both studio's interests. Curious what concessions each side made.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Timby posted:

Considering Disney opened by demanding 50 percent of the revenue from all future collaborations (up from 10), I'm guessing they were the ones who took a step back.
If they did I imagine they'd take Feige off the project to work on their other films, which was the original point of contention.

e: guess they met in the middle.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems pretty bizarre to side with either of the massive multinationals in this contract renegotiation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think that's fully confirmed but Feige's statement definitely seems to imply that Holland can show up in both franchises. That's pretty neat.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's weird because it seems like the complaints about Joker are coming more from mainstream pop-culture focused liberals.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm so mad at Taika Waititi! gently caress!!!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the headline of that article is a misquote.

quote:

“I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema. Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”
This seems like a pretty fair assessment that would apply to the majority of blockbuster films. He's not saying the films are poorly made or anything.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Scorsese' comments are entirely reasonable when put into context. But everyone I've seen agree with him (or rather, the distorted headline version) comes across as a huge prick and that probably goes some way to explaining why 'high art' is so distrusted and maligned by the mainstream.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

This is a weird take since Scorsese's movies are, with a few exceptions, pretty popular. He's not a niche director, he's achieved a fair bit of mainstream success.
Sure? That doesn't change how the people agreeing with the misquoted headline "Marvel films are not cinema" come across.

On some level I agree with Scorese in that Marvel films are action blockbusters, but I also think they make much more of an effort to "convey emotional psychological experiences" than the vast majority of blockbuster movies so it seems unfair to single them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

This is a really insightful post. I've found this entire manufactured drama to be more tiresome than anything and honestly this sums it up better than anything I've seen; everyone is arguing past each other because what Scorsese is saying and what everyone is working themselves up over hearing are fundamentally different things.
I don't think it's what Scorsese is saying at all honestly. He said that the films are well made and well acted but objects to their content, that they aren't "convey[ing] emotional, psychological experiences to another human being".