Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bedshaped posted:

When does a comic book become a graphic novel?

When it's a single long-form piece rather than a serial spread over multiple issues. Watchmen is a comic book, Habibi is a graphic novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spacebump posted:

I don't believe that's going to get a theatrical release but I guess it still counts.

I'm honestly going to be surprised if New Mutants comes out at all. Like, Disney has literally no reason to bother releasing that movie instead of just memory-holing it and making their own "New Mutants" movie a decade from now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, its a horror movie that's also a comic book movie so even if you just release it on DVD and on demand it stands a chance to make some money.

Its not like its gonna be any harder to convince people to ignore than than it will be to convince them to forget about Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart.

Money that Disney doesn't really need, that would partly (due to royalties and Fox still presumably being entitled to a chunk) go to the people that current Marvel execs DO NOT LIKE. It wouldn't really be any different from the Corman Fantastic Four getting memory-holed, except that New Mutants looks like a somewhat better movie that was actually at one point meant for human consumption.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think its a question of whether New Mutants stands a chance to be "MCU" or released by Disney. I'm saying, "If someone's releasing Dark Phoenix why wouldn't they release New Mutants too?"

i mean, i'm not really much more knowledgeable than you are on this stuff, but my thinking is that if it gets delayed again past the Disney sale, Fox probably can't release a movie based on an IP they no longer own the rights to, and would have to work something out with Disney (possibly even selling distribution rights for it entirely) for it to see the light of day ever. that won't mean it's an MCU movie, but it will mean that whether the movie comes out or not is more or less entirely in Disney's court.

from Disney's perspective, this deal makes no sense to actually make. if the movie does well, Fox gets a last hurrah instead of going out with Dark Phoenix, which looks like poo poo; if the movie does poorly, Disney has their name stuck to a bomb. the only potential positive is short-term cash, which, they're loving Disney, they don't exactly need short-term cash if the negatives outweigh it.

so if New Mutants doesn't come out before the buyout goes through, I'm thinking it gets sent to the vault where The Day The Clown Cried is being kept.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I love Meloni but fuuuuuck no, he's not the right fit at all. Meloni would make a better Joker than Batman.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Y'all need to go see Alita: Battle Angel if you're sleeping on it

That movie loving rules so goddamn hard

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's also, like, just a regular-rear end good movie. Like it might straight up be the best blockbuster in recent years.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

I came out of the film wishing they leaned way further in on heartfelt/corny anime style. It was a solid 9.0 on the heartfelt-o-meter, but this a film that wanted to be at 11 all the time. Instead was only occasionally at 11. The romance especially could have been more consistently sappy.

I still really enjoyed it, though. Falling short of true anime greatness still leaves it at anime really drat goodness.

Honestly, a lot of what I loved was when the movie would just take a second to briefly not be extra as hell. Like, the OTT stuff is awesome, but it's the calmer and quieter moments that really make Salazar's performance work and hold the movie together.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

That's not really what I meant. I didn't have a problem with the pacing per se, and I agree with you that the calm moments were quite good. But even calm, quiet moments can be extra. I'd call the chocolate bar scene extra, for example.

It's just, the film wasn't quite Robocop and it wasn't quite Speed Racer.

I feel like the best example of what I'm talking about is what the heart scene ends with.

Most of that scene is, in fact, extra as hell. Alita literally rips out her own heart and hands it to Hugo like "MY HEART IS REALLY GODDAMN EXPENSIVE, WE CAN SELL IT AND GET ME A CHEAP REPLACEMENT." But then the way his :stare: reaction just makes her loving deflate and go "sorry, I can be a little intense sometimes :ohdear:" is genuinely loving hilarious, because it's such a low-key little joke thrown into this over-the-top bizarre romantic scene.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gen Z spotted.

I'm a 94 baby and I remember Titanic being... divisive too. Like, yeah, obviously a lot of people loved it, but there were easily as many people who thought it was mawkish crap and/or incredibly boring, and its box office was less "everyone saw it" and more "the people who loved it all saw it like 20 times over the course of a year."

e: also, I'd call The Matrix the exact transition point between 90s blockbuster cinema and 2000s blockbuster cinema. It's the culmination of a lot of trends of the former, and the beginning of a lot of trends of the latter.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

You were 4 lol you don’t remember anything about it

4-5 is kinda where my childhood memories go from incoherent scattered images to coherent Things That Happened, and I remember Titanic creating drama amongst my parents' friends because some loved it to an incomprehensible degree and others hated it and they pretty much drew battle lines.

It kind of sticks in my mind, honestly, because I just really wanted to watch the movie about the huge boat sinking and didn't get why all the adults were fighting over it. Until my parents (who were both on the hate side) rented it for me and I found out that it was a romance movie that had maybe 30 minutes of a huge boat sinking, which made my opinion as a small child... pretty easy to discern, I think.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

quick, someone green light an Evangelion live action movie before everyone realizes that it would make negative dollars even if it were the greatest blockbuster of all time

if loving Battle Angel Alita, a series in which, at one point, a trans man cloned from the protagonist thumb-wrestles a karate Predator so hard that it kills several bystanders, is a Legit Blockbuster then I am fairly sure loving anything is on the table.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

A live-action adaptation of Genocyber.

Necrostorm would probably be down. :v:

e: holy poo poo, y'all had a whole little conversation about old OVAs and Genocyber without me! I love that goddamn series.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

pospysyl posted:

"She remembers why she become an Air Force member and vaporizes Rogg."

Captain Marvel: YVAN EHT NIOJ

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Er... how do you figure that from that? Smith isn't getting kicked out, he's just not coming back because of scheduling issues. Chances are they'll shuffle his character to the sidelines somehow and keep him offscreen, and then if he's available for Suicide Squad 3, "oh poo poo, Deadshot's back!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cease to Hope posted:

how would loose, broad comedies even benefit from a "shared cinematic universe" anyway? are there that many people who are heavily invested in captain caveman canon?

I feel like a lot of this is that Scooby-Doo is a strong enough premise to support a movie, whereas a lot of these shows either kinda aren't, or were just Scooby clones in the first place.

Following from this, the thing to do would be make Scooby stuff and weave the other IPs into it, instead of going Full MCU.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

I would loving love a Hanna Barbara super hero cinematic universe. Get Birdman, Space Ghost, Blue Falcon, Dynomutt and the Johnny Quest team all together. Have them team up against Frankenstein Jr.

Warner Bros. needs to get in touch with me. I've got ideas.

All leading up to the mega-crossover movie, The Venture Bros.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

The Ventures Bros kick rear end, but they're a little too jokey for what I'm envisioning. I want camp, and for that it needs to be played completely straight.

I was mostly alluding to the fact that literally every character in that listing either has an analogue in VB or, in Johnny Quest's case, literally is in the show :v:

e: or, I should say, Action Johnny before Cartoon Network's lawyers descend on me like a pack of ravenous wolves

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cease to Hope posted:

it's funny how it starts out with these legally-distinct-from-the-original creations then the creators realize that cartoon network just owns johnny quest anyway so gently caress it here's race bannon

Actually, it's the other way around- they made the title characters as legally-distinct versions, then realized CN owned it and added Race and Johnny, then CN got angry at them for making Johnny a tweaker so now he's Action Johnny (even though he looks and sounds exactly the same as an old tweaker Johnny Quest would).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cease to Hope posted:

oh, I didn't know the latter part, that's even better

yeah that was what my edit was referring to, the fig leaf of him being "Action Johnny" is in and of itself a really good joke imo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol, ok sorry I thought you meant she wasn't good in it. But I still don't agree: that movie is notorious precisely for bringing Hunger Games fans in and sending them out very mad. She didn't drag it to weekend winner status or anything but there's no question she put butts in seats even when they probably shouldn't have been.

i mean... maybe, but i kinda feel like more of its notoriety comes from being a movie where you see a baby get murdered onscreen and then everyone eats the baby

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy loving poo poo I want to see the Tommy Wiseau Ayn Rand musical

That's like the most trainwrecky five words you could possibly put together

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

Joe Manganiello doesn't really count, and Arrow has sucked for a while now.

To be fair, Arrow has mostly sucked due to not enough Manu Bennett. :v: Like, more things need to have Manu Bennett in them, the fact that he's not a massive action star kinda irritates me.

e: like, he's hot, he's a loving fantastic actor, and he's a really stand-up dude by all appearances. He's the total package and yet Hollywood just refuses to even look at him. He's like a white Michael Jai White.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

Manu was great in Spartacus. That's all I really liked him in. He was an alright Deathstroke I guess, but by virtue of association with Arrow his Deathstroke doesn't count to me. Sorry, Manu.

Counterpoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWR7-Tbnafo

(he was loving amazing on Spartacus, though, yeah)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

Another actor the show failed to utilize well.

I feel like it's a testament to how loving amazing Manu is that he was still pretty much the best actor on the entire show, giving the best performance, in spite of the show actively giving him almost nothing to do

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cease to Hope posted:

okay hold the gently caress up

what

A lot of us listen to We Hate Movies and the hosts of that say a lot of really weird and hilarious poo poo that sticks in our brains

"Regular-degular" is an example of this, along with "gleep-glop aliens" and "dick beer"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
poo poo, a thousand bucks to watch a bunch of movies I don't really like, most of which I've already seen? Where do I sign up?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like Falcon-Cap is more likely than Bucky-Cap, since they've done the former relatively recently in the comics.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Grendels Dad posted:

It's also going to Bucky because there is no country called "Falcon".

There's not exactly a country called "Winter Soldier" either. When Falcon had it he was just Captain America. :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robot Style posted:

Too bad it never will.

counterpoint: Snyder's still apparently on decent terms with WB, and they probably wouldn't be okay with him hyping it up the way he has been, unless they plan on potentially doing something with it.

guerilla-marketing through Snyder himself while they finish it up, and then dropping it out of nowhere when their streaming service starts, would be a loving masterstroke.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robot Style posted:

He might have been satisfied with the state of the edit when he left, but it's nowhere close to being in a releasable state without a lot of work. There were certainly a number of shots from the trailers that were up to a "trailer final" level of quality, but it was only those shots.
Unless it's about a month before a movie comes out, any shots you see in a trailer have been scrambled together in a few weeks while all the other shots in the movie are put on the back burner, and then when the trailer is done, those shots need to be updated to fit the context of the surrounding shots as they become more complete.

When Snyder left the movie, a lot of our work was still being animated and had only very basic lighting renders with little to no FX simulations or compositing, and some of it was still using previs as placeholders. If they released whatever compressed quicktime version of the Snyder cut they happen to have on a hard drive somewhere, it wouldn't look that much better than the Wolverine workprint that leaked in 2009.

Adding new VFX is basically the easiest part of filmmaking to do after the fact, though, provided the groundwork for it already exists (and it sounds like it all does). If they release it, I highly doubt they'll just release what they already have; they'll touch it up and make it look nice first, because there's very clearly enough demand for that to be worth the cost (also, y'know, JL was a pretty big embarrassment for them and "hey there was actually a good movie hiding here" is a good way to turn that around).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Disney's already explicitly said they're keeping Deadpool R-rated, at the bare minimum, probably because they've seen the bonkers amount of money Fox made doing that

e: like, if Fox did something that worked from a suit perspective, there's not really any reason to assume Disney's gonna mess with it. most of those things were probably explicit reasons for Disney buying Fox in the first place. this sucks on a lot of levels, but there's not really any reason to assume things will be that different than they were.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also just a reminder that X2 had Wolverine slicing people left and right, there just wasn't any blood. Is it noticeable? Yes. Just like in Venom. I just think it's weird to be like "well I would have given this movie a better rating if I saw that guy's blood explode"

:shrug: I just think action works better if it's not having to clumsily cut and edit around the after-effects of violence. You pretty much can't do Raid/John Wick kinda stuff at the rating; Mortal Kombat is the literal closest I've seen and I'm fairly sure it's only so because it's pre-Columbine.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's trying so hard to be the next Deadpool with the wacky ultraviolence and the swearing and the blood

I'm getting way harder Punisher: War Zone vibes than Deadpool. The violence pretty uniformly doesn't seem "wacky" so much as you're meant to Beavis-laugh at how brutal it is (that guy got his loving face torn off holy poo poo).

e: honestly, I feel like the marketing is less them being tryhards about it, and more them trying to avoid a clusterfuck. the first two movies were very PG-13 and were pretty heavily targeted at kids. this is not. if they didn't market it this way, and left all the gore and cursing as a surprise, there would be a loving horde of pissed off parents.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 8, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Wemus posted:

How come they kicked Del Toro out and rebooted?

Del Toro and Mignola butted heads on how a third movie should go, and the latter owns the IP, so out the former went. And then Perlman didn't want to come back because Del Toro got kicked out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Daddy Thanos posted:

I literally can't even with how problematic that movie is

pog boyfriend posted:

post your main account

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Last I was aware they never had a personal falling out, they just had different ideas for what to do with 3 and Mignola won out due to owning the IP.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I saw it in theaters and, while it's not technically the worst movie I've ever seen, it's absolutely the longest 2.5 hours I've ever spent in a theater. Like, god drat that movie just feels like it's six hours long for no apparent reason.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

yes i watched the movie too

like, you're not gonna make me rectroactively feel emotional that yondu died. quill is right in gotg1 when he points out that just because yondu isn't the literal worst person doesn't mean he deserves thanks but then gotg2 does a whole 180 on that and it didn't work for me

I mean, you're sort of missing the point. Yondu isn't played as a psychotic murderer, he's played as your everyday action hero who responds to violent aggression with violent aggression. If you're willing to extend that critique to basically the entire genre GotG occupies, then that's fair, but the movie isn't doing anything unique and to act like it is, is a little disingenuous.

Like, the first act of Predator is about Ahnuld and co slaughtering a South American guerilla camp. John Rambo tears bloody swathes through Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Burma. I can think of, like, one action movie that values human life in any reasonable way and actually follows through on it, and that's Terminator 2, a movie where fans constantly bitch about that aspect even if they like the movie (because, shock, it goes directly against the usual tropes they expect).

(My point here is not that GotG deserves a free pass: I actually agree that the trope of "spectacle = mass death" is a little uncomfortable. I just think it's a trope that needs to be attacked as a whole and not just focusing on one specific movie that's frankly lighter on it than most.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

gotg2 ends with a drat viking funeral and everyone going 'you know, in the end yondu really was a cool and good guy', it's unearned schmaltz

Because, by the standards of the genre GotG2 occupies, Yondu didn't actually do anything bad.

This is what I'm saying: in the action genre, killing people who are identified as Bad Guys is almost always considered a morally neutral act at absolute worst (if not an outright good deed), and actual bad deeds can be smoothed over by just having the hero like you enough (coughFastandFuriouscough). There is a gulf between his actions and his treatment after dying if you apply realistic standards to it, but if you apply the standards of the genre, there's no incongruity whatsoever and everything pretty much tracks.