Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the Aquaman movie just now. The first 12 minutes could have almost entirely been axed and replaced with a quick shot plus exposition and would have better been spent on expanding just about any other scene in the movie, and the dialog in it like "where I come from, the sea carries our tears away" dialog was the worst. I think it contains the least focus on who the protagonist is as a person for any comic book movie I've seen, but other than that the rest of the movie was great. It was better than Man of Steel and definitely Suicide Squad, but not as good as Wonder Woman or most Marvel movies. I looked up the Wikipedia entries for the villains "Black Manta" and "Ocean Master" and the film origins are so much better. I liked the whole "underwater seven kingdoms of rapidly speciated humans" concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Aquaman should've been an hour longer to justify all that exposition and gone for The Fellowship of the Ring's run-time

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Not making Aquaman 2 about the Atlanteans rising up to gently caress up the surface world's carbon-centric industrialized society in the 2020's era of rapidly accelerating ocean warming/acidification/ice loss would be an act of pure cowardice imo.

I mean showing the effects of using the sea as our garbage dump is nice and all but it only represents the barest fraction of the absolute climate change shitstorm brewing in the oceans as we speak.

Diplomatically, it makes more sense to go from doing nothing toward diplomacy and sanctions first than go to war, but that'd still probably entail sinking fishing vessels while ensuring minimal casualties by having dolphins and whales ferry the shipwreck survivors to land

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s really weird how people say Thanos wouldn’t have won if Civil War hadn’t split the Avengers when the things that actually let Thanos win were Quill getting upset and Thor not aiming for the head.

I haven't seen Endgame but this seems pretty right

All through Infinity War I was internally shouting "Destroy the stone! Destroy it! Don't gamble with it!" and I'm not sure I even remember what happened at the end of Dr. Strange that makes him not want to destroy the Time Stone

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Spider-Man: Homecoming was so much better than I was expecting it to be, because I was think thinking there might be another long "Uncle Ben dies and he gets bit by a radioactive spider" rehash at the beginning. The Washington Monument scene and the scene where he gets scolded by Tony Stark were great. I liked how the villain did the trick where he aimed for the environment, taking out the support beams, in a reversal of a fake-out usually employed by the hero, as in aiming at the roof of a cave to make it cave-in above the villain's head. MJ reminds me of Janna from Star vs. the Forces of Evil.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 1, 2019

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: sorry, wrong thread

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

We should end all U.S. advertising for the military that could possibly reach children and answer "what about recruitment numbers" by bolstering pay and benefits for enrolled military members. Pay is currently $10.23/hr for the lowest rank, low enough that they're on food stamps

https://work.chron.com/average-salary-us-soldier-9060.html
https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/recipient/eligibility

$20/hr after the new minimum wage sets in would work. This is tangentially related, but economic incentives for ambition should be for improvement of one's lifestyle above a baseline needed to live; socially acceptable material greed and not need.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj7c3vBZ7jA

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

LMAO it's true, if I watched my son turn to ash and then 5 years later come back it would gently caress me up forever. People would have horrific PTSD, politics would completely change (for the 4th or 5th time, after the alien invasions and sentient robots and such), yikes. All this poo poo would be screamed about in some awful Cinemasins video if it wasn't MAHVEL

I'm guessing that the odds are high that the snap would completely change the balance of Congress through sheer randomness, with the sample size being small enough for more members of one party to get snapped than another, especially with a 50/50 Senate, so there's that. It's not really something that would ever come up in-universe unless it has to do with one political party being anti-mutant or pro-superhero registration though

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

All good points. SHAZAM even had a scene in a toystore where there's one of those floor pianos.

I'm willing to bet the gratuitous lifting is aimed towards people who haven't seen poo poo like Taxi Driver, too.

Shazam was fantastic and also really funny. The one joke that was a groaner was the "It's Moran" joke. That same week, I saw an "it's Wesley, not Weaseley" joke from a villain in Home on the Range. It's a "you had to be there" joke that only works in reality because it relies on the universe not bending itself to the will of an author to set the joke up.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It feels like they could have used a different, original character in place of Spider-Man with different suit abilities for Tony Stark's sidekick and they wouldn't have had to change much about the story, only the action scenes. Otherwise, it may have been better to have Spider-Man's first movie before Iron Man's so that he gets the suit upgrades during college, not high school.

Edit: I meant that the first movie still would've been in high school, just that it would've been longer before Iron Man steps in. They still could've avoided repeating the origin story by acting as if it were a sequel to the origin story in the first two films.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 22, 2019

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

CharlestonJew posted:

that scene was mega-dumb, agreed

It was a little odd that he didn't know "target X" would literally target them for a world of hurt when he ran into a similar problem with his suit in the first movie

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It seemed too unrealistic that once Ultron had the ability to transfer himself into any robot body and have his conscience live on, that all the robot bodies happened to be in one location. They say that once you put something on the Internet, it's never really gone, even if you try to delete it, so I don't know why a sentient AI with Internet access would be any different.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm watching Wolverine: Origins and I'm annoyed by the trope where people looking for revenge argue about "who gets to kill him" so they split up taking him on individually instead of taking him on together and then some of them get killed

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Guy A. Person posted:

lol I still can't believe Vision did nothing in the first film then died and never came back

His relationship with Wanda seemed kinda creepy because I thought of Jarvis as a middle-aged butler and I had figured Wanda and Quicksilver were about 16 in Age of Ultron for some reason, even though their actors were about 25. That took everything out of the scenes where all he does is nearly get murdered, even though I was mistaken about their ages.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, that's where I'm at. Like, now that you mentioned it I'm not so sure myself. Maybe they did show up.

Time to rewatch Aquaman, I guess :v:

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/aquaman/278207/aquaman-what-are-the-seven-kingdoms-of-atlantis

Brine Kingdom was my favorite kingdom because crabs are cool. Go crabs.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AnotherIckyGander-mobile.mp4

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 8, 2019

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I am watching the Justice League movie right now

It has the same problem as the start of the Green Lantern movie, which I stopped watching 15 minutes in, but to a much lesser extent. Starting with the Justice League movie without having origin story movies for half the team led to a lot of distracting and unnatural exposition dumps. I like Teen Titans Go Cyborg better than the most melodramatic Cyborg who broods even more than Batman, and they've also got Aquaman doing the same thing in this movie.

It was a little weird that they're called Mother Boxes, but then I saw that Steppenwolf had a Sephiroth-Jenova kind of thing going on, so there was that. Why did they not even show any worry about where the Mother Box went after Kal-El was resurrected? They had all hands on deck in that moment, but all they needed was a sixth person to hold onto it and hide it like Alfred.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 8, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I kinda want to write about a superhero team with Italian food themed superpowers: using mozzarella cheese as a rope, turning into marinara sauce Alex Mack style, turning into dough and being stretchy like Plastic Man or Clayface. Those powers work well for a disaster rescue team, fitting through tight spaces like rocks in a cave-in, and they'd have gadgets like superheated pizza rollers that can cut through metal. It'd be story-of-the-week most of the time with Scooby Doo-like explanations

- controlling animal-shaped globs of pasta to make them attack park-goers and agitate animals into attacking park-goers to try to get the park shut down so that the city will be more willing to lease a mining company mineral rights. One of the human-shaped globs starts asking "Why am I here" and then becomes a roommate for a while
- mold and mushrooms that can eat through concrete and metal, as a convoluted form of a business owner burning down the property to collect the insurance money
- a serial killer uses a shrinkwrap gun (for no real reason other than it's vaguely related to a frozen pizza theme) to target journalists, union leaders, and activists on a list
- The one with dough powers turns traitor and sabotages their weapons. The individual stories connect with the governor of the state developing the mold and mushrooms into a doomsday weapon that can eat the metal at the Earth's core while demanding that the U.S. government, in a much more utopian alternate timeline, let the state secede
- The one with dough powers, Dough Man, usurps the governor and tries to turn the state back into a corporate paradise, Singapore authoritarianism style, while promising elections that never come as the media praises him, as the end-villain

- Sauce Man is afraid of a lot of things, like heights, mortgage payments, his mom dying from liver failure, and bears, but he never gives up. If he got an arm severed by a serrated pizza pan, he'd leave his arm behind in order to turn to sauce while holding the citizen and flow out of harm's way, and then he'd keep on going. He's a civil engineer who can take anything apart and put it back together. He's not adept enough at hiding his secret identity or who he cares about enough that they make good hostages.
- Mozzarella is a pharmacology student who takes an interest in Sauce Man's disaster rescue activities. She can shoot rope made of cheese, which works for acrobatics or trapping. She is initially sometimes lacking in confidence enough to let petty villains get away, or overeager to take on villains more powerful than she can handle. She lives with her elderly parents, who taught her the importance of fighting for someone she doesn't know, and changes bedpans in the evenings.
- Dough Man is a stoic negotiator who isn't afraid to let villains shoot the hostage when it strategically makes sense. In fact, he's realized that people care a lot less about minimizing casualties than stopping the villain, so he'll let other people take care of that work while he gets the credit. After having an arm after having it pinned under some rubble, when no one helped him, one of his arms is permanently made from dough. He was already feeling burnt out, and after that he stopped caring about helping anybody else. He's got "printer carrying" mentality about hero-work that's ready to metastasize.

Side characters:
- Pepperoni Surprise uses topping-related gadgets, such as pepperoni spinning blades for slashing tires of getaway vehicles and cutting ropes. She's almost always cheerful, and she brings homemade goods on stakeout missions. She's studying to be a chef while working as a waittress part-time.
- Breadstick Cannon works in another area of the city, so she doesn't show up as often as the other heroes. She specializes in gadgets like serrated pizza pans. She's more brutal than analytical, but she's very dedicated to an idea of making the world a safer place. She's a single mom who works at an antiques shop at a mall that also sells leather goods. She sides with Dough Man all the way, defending him at his worst as a lesser evil.
- Deep Fry (hot oil and french fry weapons) and Firebird are experienced vigilantes who turned to lawlessness after a warehouse was genetically modifying people into hummingbirds so they'd transfer goods faster. After Dough Man takes over the city, Sauce Man and Mozzarella need to distract the people guarding the doomsday device in order to minimize the fighting while they get to the controls. Deep Fry and Firebird show Sauce Man and Mozzarella the ways of subterfuge.
- Upper Crust, a villain with the power to petrify people into crust (pretzel dough, specifically) by laying a hand on them.

I vaguely think about it once in a while but I have better things to do than to expand on it

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 8, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Chairman Capone posted:

I think another reason movies won't get to that point is that pretty much any comic book movie draws inspiration from a small number of "key" stories. Even if the movies aren't direct adaptations, the stories they're looking to for tone, plot, character inspiration, etc., is a fairly small subset of the output. Like with Batman - take away Year One, Dark Knight Returns, and Killing Joke, and that's most of the comics inspiration for the last thirty years of Batman movies. No one's ever going to look to some issue from 1975 where the Joker has to steal Batman's giant penny to make up for getting tricked by a Ponzi scheme or whatever.

Yeah, that plot sounds more typical of a middle-of-season episode of a TV series.

I'd like to see a movie that's just a series of low-stakes short stories or whatever with a cinematic budget

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched Batman Returns for the first time yesterday. It's weird how the Penguin was apparently a very evil baby, but there are traces of a Frankenstein allegory with regard to his act, but he had wanted to throw all Gotham's first-born in the sewer all along. The "but I saved millions of dollars in property damage" line also feels dated at a time when even the average voter seems fed up with putting property over lives.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

i don't understand what you're saying. that's the joke. if anything it seems very topical?

Oh. I'll rewatch the related scenes

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched Superman III (1983). I thought the first half was better than a lot of Superman I or II. Then it turned terrible at the part where the almost-Kryptonite inexplicably turned him evil. Even a cliche mind control story would've been a step-up from that kind of a cop-out. Then there was the part where Richard Pryor's supercomputer became self-aware at the end. Most bad movies are terrible or bland all the way through, but Superman III has the biggest shift in quality as I perceive it. I wanted to say "Boo! This sucks!" right along with Superman's in-universe audience. The ending where Richard Pryor refuses the job offer kind of seems like it reflects 1980s opinions about people on unemployment and the chronically unemployed. In the first half, I actually liked all the gags like the crosswalk men fighting each other. I liked the problem-solving scenes with "How is he going to get them all down? Carry them one at a time?" then he rips a tanker with a ladder on it right out of the ground, or "How is he going to carry a lake? Oh, right, freezing breath". It averages out for an all right movie.

edit: also I liked how Lana Lang seemed to have a crush on Clark Kent but not Superman. I liked their continual Freudian misunderstandings where one of them is talking about food or chores and the other thinks they're talking about relationships or vice versa. Also, Clark Kent is the kind of guy who'd eat dog food if he found out he liked the taste before being told what it was

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I mean they have school uniforms in New York City, beyond that I guess I don't know, I've never heard of the term magnet high school before

Magnet schools exist for purposes of concentrating high achievers in one building, and they also exist for racial integration. When space is limited and grades don't suffice to select qualified applicants, they include a lottery system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_school

There are also public boarding schools, but they seem rarer

I'd need to go back and watch the thing to see if there are any explicit hints about whether it's charter or public, but I interpret magnet as a subset of public. Regardless, any movie that includes a police officer as a secondary character is necessarily taking a political stance, whether they want to or not, including if it's a "safe" stance.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 27, 2020