Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Patrick Spens posted:

It's funny because in the comics Marvel's stance has been "Everything started 20ish years ago, and also everything that was shown happening happened, including e.g. Charles Xavier being in the Korean war." And DC has done the much dumber thing of repeated universe shattering cataclysms to try and rationalized all the time-expansion nonsense.

There was a recent History of the Marvel Universe mini-series where they literally create a new country that is just a perpetual Vietnam war, and all previous stories that were set in Vietnam happened there.

Also Vietnam still happened as normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gatts posted:

Yeah, like seriously. And then comic book fanatics love Justice League Apokolips War where their heroes are torn apart violently on screen and things are gloomier and grimdark than anything I’ve ever seen from Snyder.

They do? I've seen nothing but hate for that movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

McCloud posted:

Has like 90% on the 🍅 score lol

(And it's poo poo)

(Disclaimer: haven't seen it)

Lmao what

That movie is one of the most nihilistic things I've ever seen, with the movie treating the universe being changed by one man as a good thing.

Those DC Animated Movies have been garbage for a long time, but that one was a whole new level.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like edgy violence, but DC's attempts at it have just made me tired.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Aquaman has had two ideas for him in the comics.

Peter David's hook hand Aquaman that is actually pretty fun.

And then "Gyaaaaagh, I'm not like Superfriends, I'm cool, please stop making fun of how I talk to fish"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

As it is Suicide Squad has a bunch of cool stuff in it, but it's definitely hurt by the edit it was given.

I would like to see the cut Ayer had in mind.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked that Dick still wanted to be with Starfire despite her mutilated body.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hawkman sucks, but Martian Manhunter is a really fun character. The DCAU Justice League is a good sell on him.

https://youtu.be/QZV4EL5wjC4

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's a weird hang up for me but I just feel really weird about Raven having gone from a contemporary with Dick to being a love interest for Damian.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Burkion posted:

Which wasn't even a thing in the New 52 as far as I'm aware. That was just a thing in this weird 15 movie continuity. Is Damien even a thing in whatever is going on in the comics now?

He's leading Teen Titans right now, and for once it's not a rehash of the Marv Wolfman roster.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Everyone should watch Doom Patrol, it's fantastic.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Weren't the Superman movies going to be on there too?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's weird and doesn't help that both characters have the personality of a plank of wood.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

She got fear gassed by Scarecrow

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Critters is the best Batman story of all time.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think next is Armageddon happening before New Mutants comes out so it was nice knowing everyone.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

More like Wonder Weeb lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Man, he beat the poo poo out of Doug Walker

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They won't use Snowflame in the movies because I imagine Hollywood executives would feel uncomfortable with associating their favorite past time with a supervillain

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

teagone posted:

Simu Liu has already won me over based solely on his social media presence. Dude is hilarious. Phase 4 actually has a lot titles I'm legit interested in though: Shang-Chi for sure drat Simu is great :allears:, Thor Love and Thunder because I want to see Portman as Lady Thor, Immortals because drat that cast, and Sam Raimi's Doctor Strange 2.

I remember Immortals

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I actually forgot he was in that movie.

I only saw it because I got extra credit in a history class for seeing it lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only thing I can think of is to make people "Oh, but you still take work from them"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/alexdnz/status/1309276986855096321?s=21

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bucky and Jason Todd happened at basically the same exact time too with almost exactly the same kind of plot.

Bringing back Bucky in that way paid off in the end I think. Jason Todd is, uh, there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Everyone posted:

I haven't read Marvel for quite some time. Which take on Bucky is this (assuming it isn't the MCU version)? I recall the original Bucky came back as Nomad, even getting his own comic book for a while. I recall exactly one story from it: It was some hosed up thing where people would tie animals up in the middle of a road so they'd get hit by cars. Nomad eventually did the same thing to them. So... yeah.. The same character was also Scourge during the original run of Thunderbolts.

The original Brubaker story about him being the Winter Soldier is now just an iconic part of the character.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadli...1234594526/amp/

Looks like somebody decided to poke Alan Moore to see if he changed his opinion on superhero comics and movies.

Again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

rdj 100% says "im a social liberal, fiscal conservative" to people

"Not a big of the problems, but the causes, now those rule!"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"Family values" and reactionary politics go hand in hand.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Margot Robbie's Harley was the highlight of SS, so I logically conclude that Birds of Prey is the better movie by having more Margoe Robbie Harley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sticklefifer posted:

Sorting through the problematic legacy of his mentor while not becoming him is far more interesting and complex character development than Teen Hero Always Does Right Thing, and I'm here for it.

I had to do a double take that you were talking about Spider-Man, because "Always Does Right Thing" really does not sum him up at all.

The character is really a tragedy of bad decisions that frequently hurt his loved ones due to his double life. Even his superheroing career on its own is filled with serious mistakes.