Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

kinda building off the Captain Marvel "woke washing" conversation that was going on

remember how last year we saw that CIA tweet that was pretty outstanding evidence for Black Panther being a CIA psy-op? Now remember that Captain Marvel is an Air Force pilot. I bet we're going to see a bunch of awful military collabs for this movie. like Wonder Woman was a military hero as well but it was the Amazonian military which, last I recall, doesn't have multiple forever wars ruining the planet as we live and breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

“Yeah you need to talk to Helen in HR if you want to get that wokeness approved, we’ve almost reached our woke limit for the month and anything after that is gonna be wokeness pro bono and we just can’t afford that if we’re gonna keep this wokeness program going through the fiscal year. If she says yes that’s great but if she says no I’m gonna need you to ramp up the racism.”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

not that we need another joker right this second but the guy who plays the rich rear end in a top hat in Cold Pursuit would be a perfect Joker. He's like a combination of the older son on The Goldbergs and Patrick Bateman.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like the best example of what I'm talking about is what the heart scene ends with.

Most of that scene is, in fact, extra as hell. Alita literally rips out her own heart and hands it to Hugo like "MY HEART IS REALLY GODDAMN EXPENSIVE, WE CAN SELL IT AND GET ME A CHEAP REPLACEMENT." But then the way his :stare: reaction just makes her loving deflate and go "sorry, I can be a little intense sometimes :ohdear:" is genuinely loving hilarious, because it's such a low-key little joke thrown into this over-the-top bizarre romantic scene.

that's probably my favorite scene in the movie for many reasons. it captures that feeling of being a teenager in love and willing to do whatever it takes to be together forever, especially since this is the first time Alita is ever feeling it and it feels so permanent even though she met him like a week ago. So it's this wonderful little character moment, brought to a whole new level because where most teenagers would just say "I would tear out my heart and give it to you to show you how much I love you", Alita is a cyborg and can literally do it.

Alita feels everything so hard in that movie, it's a nice change from most blockbusters/superhero movies where there feels like a level of detachment between the hero's emotional life and what's going on in the movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i dunno man, this is a guy who i really trust and i think if what he says is true then this is a real game changer for superhero film and movies in general.

https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1098090978114719744

https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1098094339580780544

https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1098114474127482880

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Grendels Dad posted:

Cheesy AND fun tone??? GAME CHANGER!!

Also, throwbacks to the 90's! The game is so changed, you guys!

I want you to read those tweets again real close, you loving idiot

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

When I think of 1990s sci-fi the first thing that comes to my head is The Fifth Element, and other big, almost over-produced movies like that (Judge Dredd, Super Mario Bros)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It already beat Ghost In The Shell's total domestic box office after just five days so it looks like the Live Action Anime curse has been lifted

quick, someone green light an Evangelion live action movie before everyone realizes that it would make negative dollars even if it were the greatest blockbuster of all time

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Just wait until Detective Pikachu makes a billion dollars, live action anime will be the next movie bubble after superheroes :ssh:

that's based off a video game though, it has nothing to do with the Pokemon anime

although "blockbuster success video game adaptation" is just as rare as "blockbuster success anime adaptation" so yeah

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Box Office Mojo have a page for video game movie adaptations and the top four box office hits are apparently Tomb Raider (2001), Angry Birds, Rampage and Prince of Persia which is a pretty :whitewater: list.

adjusted for inflation the top three are Tomb Raider, Pokemon and Mortal Kombat which sounds more right, i think those are the only three on that list that are unqualified hits. Angry Birds is pushing it and after that you get to Prince of Persia, Rampage and the sequels to the the top three which were all dire in comparison\

edit: and the Resident Evil movies, which after the first one didn't really bring people in because of the games but because of the film universe.

2nd edit for a fun thing I noticed: when adjusted for inflation, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation made roughly the same amount of money, but MK:A had almost twice the opening weekend gross. In fact, Street Fighter almost makes the top 10 (out of 40!!!) video game to movie adaptations, which means that it was more successful than stuff like Assassin's Creed, Doom, all but one Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Max Payne, Warcraft, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and that new Tomb Raider.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rampage is great.

Pokemon could probably be counted as both, given the anime's a huge part of the franchise's success especially in the West, and a lot of the franchise's well-known traits and the iconic quirks of individual Pokemon are taken right from it. (not to mention both back in the day with Yellow and recently with Pokemon Let's Go, the games have more closely adapted the anime specifically to take advantage of that crossover appeal)

And a NGE movie could do well if played right. Somewhere between kaiju and psychological horror.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new anime movie boom to go part and parcel with the 90s nostalgia kick we're in, since people who grew up with anime are now producing media or deciding what media gets produced. The latest generation of cartoons are often taking lots of unsubtle inspiration from 90s anime and not just indulgent references but in structure, themes and aesthetics. Between Alita's apparent success, Detective Pikachu's likely success, and Dragon Ball Super: Broly taking box offices by complete surprise, a lot of producers are probably going to be taking another look at these Japanimations and seeing if there's any more money to be made from them.

I'm aware that the Pokemon anime is a big deal but the movie is very specifically *not* the anime. Like, it's based off of a very specific game, there's basically no connection to it other than the same set of Pokemon and Pikachu as a primary focus. The anime's success has always been pretty dependent on the games IMO. If Detective Pikachu is successful it's because the games have maintained a presence through the years with stuff like Pokemon Go and the constant stream of new games that Nintendo puts out. I would also hesitate to call Alita a success yet. It's definitely not a failure and there's a possibility that it over performs in Japan and China and warrants a sequel but no one is looking at the numbers it's pulling and saying "yes we need to make movies like this". Dragon Ball, on the other hand, i have no idea how that happened and I could absolutely see someone trying to reverse engineer that for another hit. Honestly, we're about due for a Hollywood production of Dragon Ball that isn't a total loving embarrassment.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 21, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

That in itself is pretty bad because those films are all 18 to 24 years old. It's not like the video game industry has slowed down any since then either, or like Hollywood has stopped trying to cash in on their popularity: there's been over 30 movies based on video games since the original Tomb Raider.

i should point out that those are based on domestic numbers. As it turns out, if you add in worldwide numbers, that list looks way different.

Like, Warcraft, which does not make the top 20 highest grossing video game adaptations when you just count US money, is the highest grossing video game adaptation ever when you add in money from overseas. Seriously, it made just under 11% of it's total haul here in the US, and that's not even the lowest domestic/worldwide ratio, because the last Resident Evil movie had a full 91.5% of its gross from not-us. The list is wildly different when you change that little bit:

Domestic Top 10, when accounting for inflation:
1. Tomb Raider (2001)
2. Pokemon: The First Movie
3. Mortal Kombat
4. Angry Birds
5. Prince of Persia
6. Tomb Raider 2
7. Rampage
8. Resident Evil 2
9. Pokemon 2
10. Mortal Kombat 2

Worldwide Top 10, when accounting for inflation (% of domestic gross included for reference):
1. Warcraft (10.9%)
2. Tomb Raider (2001) (47.7%)
3. Rampage (23.6%)
4. Prince of Persia (27%)
5. Angry Birds (30.5%)
6. Resident Evil 4 (20%)
7. Resident Evil 6 (8.5%)
8. Pokemon: The First Movie (52.4%)
9. Resident Evil 5 (17.6%)
10. Tomb Raider (2018) (21.2%)

edit: i think it should be pointed out that Warcraft, the highest movie on this list, still only made about $433 million, which sounds like a lot until you compare it to other movies, where it will not be in the top 250 by the end of March 2019 (assuming Captain Marvel doesn't completely bomb, which i think would be nearly impossible). To be perfectly frank, there has never been a true "blockbuster" video game adaptation. Warcraft was barely a top 20 movie in 2016 (worldwide, it was #70 in domestic gross), Tomb Raider was 15th highest in 2001. I dunno what the lesson from all of this is, except probably "don't ever make a movie based on a video game unless you're gonna market it to a worldwide audience and not spend a whole lot on it". And Detective Pikachu is gonna be the exception to that rule because Pokemon is a bigger phenomenon than any other video game they've made a movie about (with the possible exception of Super Mario Brothers, which was such a catastrophe on so many levels that it's really not worth looking at it from a business perspective)

fun fact: if Detective Pikachu earns money at half of the rate of Black Panther, it would take 12 days for it to overtake Tomb Raider for the highest grossing video game adaptation ever domestically. Then, if it continued on that pace for 5 more days, it would overtake Warcraft for the worldwide title. I don't think "half of what Black Panther made" is a hard target to hit, that would be top 5 for the year domestically but just top 10 worldwide, and I feel like top 10 for the year is a reasonable goal for Detective Pikachu.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 21, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

wyoming posted:

American Akira sounds about right for our current hellworld.

I'm super bummed that Jordan Peele didn't make this, though what he is making is gonna be dope also. I think Akira has to be close to next on the list, now that GitS and Alita have come out, unless someone really wants to try another big budget American shonen movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

Marc Webb is directing the American version of Your Name.

this could be good. I like Marc Webb, and if they throw all of the work they currently have done into a big deep hole with a fire at the bottom and start over anew without using terrible Native American stereotypes i could see it working.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

alright you guys want to see something dope? This is a little bit of the design work WETA did for NGE back in the day when they were gonna work on the live-action adaptation. It's about 15 years old at this point and I'm sure that no one who was involved in that is around any more but there are some really cool ideas in here. And the jawline on EVA-01 is perfect. I think with the way effects are now, you could do some truly awe-inspiring poo poo with the Angels. Sure you might have to rename Asuka to "Kate Rose" but nothing's perfect. (no one hires WETA to design characters anyways. Big wrecked cities, sure. Giant monsters, obviously. But human women, leave that to someone else maybe.)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

worst MCU movie ever [...] Brie Larson calls for teh death of all white men

i think this is what you call an oxymoron

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LesterGroans posted:

I think they already cast a different actor for Professor X.

some unknown named Jamerick Stewavoy

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i mean if we're being honest the venn diagram of "those people" and "incels" is probably two concentric, nearly-equal circles

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Dark Phoenix trailer has arrived:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-q8C_c-nlM

in the grand tradition of movies heavily featuring the Dark Phoenix, it looks like a train wreck (not a joke about the train she wrecks in the trailer)

also, the answer to "why is Jennifer Lawrence still in this movie?" is jean kills the gently caress out of her with her Phoenix powers early on, which is good because that makeup looks like the most :effort: thing I've ever seen in a comic book movie

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gyges posted:

I got to say, he did put a real good joke in there. In 30 years, people are totally going to remember this shot

Edit: He showed the whole Avengers Assemble twirl so, to be fair, I'll also include this gif too

They should really give Johansson a moment to get those ants out her pants though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWoJhZ7e9qo

the big money-shot in AoU is better shot (much more action) which feels sort of like an apology for how much like rear end that Avengers one looks

but of course Age of Ultron is an overly-long, deeply boring and predictable movie so it still ended up not as goo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

K. Waste posted:

Sandberg isn't quite nailing Snyder-vision, but it's at least refreshing to see a superhero movie that doesn't take place in spring or summer. It's going for broad comedy, but the color palette is so wintry, cold, and ambiguous. I don't imagine it'll end up subverting the power fantasy, but it at least looks interesting.

for a minute I thought it was yet another reference to Big because I thought that movie took place around Christmas but upon further examination Big took place during the Fall so it's a little off.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Goose reminded me of the cats I live with.

Untrustworthy monsters

goose was totally trustworthy the entire time. she "betrayed" Fury to sell the Skrulls being undercover as Kree in that last scene, and just like any cat, Fury got the claws because he wasn't handling her right. Goose is perfect and wonderful, as are all orange cats.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1105907394276515840

I dunno how they're gonna squeeze Captain Marvel in here but I'd be shocked if Brie didn't show up in some capacity. Now get Rami Malek or Lakeith Stanfield to play the villain and we're golden.

edit: just for reference, here is the cast of Short Term 12:

Brie Larson (post-Scott Pilgrim, pre-Room)
Rami Malek (pre-Mr. Robot/Freddie Mercury)
Stephanie Beatriz (pre-Brooklyn 99)
Lakeith Stanfield (pre-Atlanta)
Kaitlyn Dever (after the first season of Last Man Standing)

and John Gallagher Jr. prior to The Newsroom airing, who was arguably the second most popular person in the cast (save the brief appearance from Melora Walters) at the time of filming because of his stage career.

In short, Destin Daniel Cretton can cast the gently caress out of a movie.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 13, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teagone posted:

WB is doing nationwide early screenings of Shazam on March 23rd. Most of the bigger theaters around me have screenings that day at 4PM and 7PM. I can't go though :rip:

i'm really annoyed because I'm flying from LA to Chicago that day which means that I'll be in two different cities that have multiple theaters showing the movie but I'm not gonna be able to see it.

On the bright side, early preview showings like this are generally a sign that the studio is confident in the movie so it's good to know that they think they have a hit on their hands

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Honest Thief posted:

I think all those shots are from the first movies.

Speaking of which, why is this trailer still so devoid of anything? We saw what, Black Widow shooting some targets and antman doing something on a pencil?

There’s no way any of that was from beyond the first hour and a half of the movie, they’re trying real hard to keep this under wraps, but you still need a trailer. Hence, using clips from old movies to pad poo poo out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

lol Maisie Williams is pissed off that New Mutants is getting the runaround

quote:

In a Rolling Stone interviewthis link opens in a new tab with Game of Thrones actresses Williams and Sophie Turner, Williams said of the pending sci-fi film, “Who knows when the f— that’s gonna come out.” She also added, “Hopefully this interview will make everyone hurry up a little bit.”

The actress reportedly confirmed reports the film is supposed to undergo reshoots to “make it scarier,” but it also seems as though the reshoots have yet to actually happen. She added that she recently asked a costar, Charlie Heaton, “What the f— is going on with this movie?” And last month, Williams’ costar Anya Taylor-Joy said, “It’s coming your way at some point.”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teagone posted:

Considering how much ground they had to cover, I think a runtime like that is to be expected lol. BvS Ultimate Edition was a little over 3 hours and played out way smoother than the shorter theatrical cut imo. Give me longer cuts if it means the story flows better.

the theatrical cut is way better than the directors cut and I bet if the editor had cut it down to 2 hours we would have gotten some Harmony Korine-esque music video of mythological figures doing battle and that would be my favorite movie ever

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i feel like every time we get news of a "director's cut" being really long everyone collectively forgets that prior to an editor getting a hold of the movie it's always really loving long. Age of Ultron, BvS, Justice League, they're always long because almost every director is incapable of actually editing their own work

i mean obviously there's an entire other film on the cutting room floor and the cutting down in the case of JL was really bad and there were reshoots that added to the total amount of footage but there was never ever ever a possibility of getting a 3.5 hour movie ever

on the other hand, apparently Endgame is apparently actually 182 minutes long so gently caress all of us

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

do you know how much money they're leaving on the table by making this movie 3 loving hours long? it is just Marvel Studios rubbing their big super-dick in everyone's face

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Sub Zero is legit.

untrue, that movie did not have a single ice ninja or fatality and was thusly a failure

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i believe the phrase is "nhas sex with teenagers" Joker

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teagone posted:

Hey guys, I think Endgame is actually going to make lots of money! I know, what a hot take. Careful, don't cut yourself with how edgy this post is.

:razz:

controversial opinion time: i think it's incredibly obvious that Endgame is gonna make hella bank, but I'm going out on a limb and saying that it's not going to have the highest opening weekend for an MCU movie. Reason: Holy loving poo poo It's 3 Hours Long.

Now obviously, that's not actually going to put off people from seeing it because at this point they could put Robert Downey Junior's Big Swinging Dick on screen for 150 minutes straight and everyone is gonna freak out, but it's definitely going to affect people going to see it multiple times, and it's also definitely going to have less showings overall. Talking with my boss at work today and he originally got the order from his boss to make sure that each screen of Endgame would have 5 shows a day, but he told him that wasn't gonna work because between the 3 hours and 2 minutes of movie, plus the 20 minutes of trailers that show before blockbusters, plus the time needed to clean and show our pre-reel, each showing was gonna need 4 hours, and five shows a day of 4 hours each is 20 loving hours, and there's no way we're keeping our theater open for 20 loving hours, even for Avengers. That's shows starting at 8am and ending at 1am, with something pretty much every 40 minutes since we're likely to have it on half of our 12 screens. You might see some of the biggest theaters in bigger cities doing this (all those 30 screen monstrosities, especially) but a lot of smaller theaters aren't gonna be able to show it as much as a movie that's 2 or even 2.5 hours. Less screening, plus less people watching it multiple times, means less money.

Of course, Disney knows this and doesn't give a poo poo. they can tell movie theaters to do whatever the gently caress they want because any multiplex that wants to fight Disney is a multiplex that will not be showing any of the billion-dollar grossers that they have in the works for this year, and that's a multiplex that is going out of business. Their making a 3 hour long movie is a giant middle finger to theaters because they can.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think he's meaning logistically theaters are going to struggle to get as many screenings in, and it will be hard for people to get that much free time more than once.

yeah, it's not that people won't want to see a 3 hour long climax, it's that it is logistically harder to schedule showings for theaters, and harder to schedule times to go see it for viewers, especially second and third times around

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Because Return of the King didn't make four hundred zillion dollars?

but it probably would have made even more had the people in charge said "this needs to be 150 minutes tops"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You should ask yourself "what couldn't Prince do?" rather than the other way around

celebrate christmas, easter, halloween or his birthday?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'll never forgive them for not using the song "Born To Be Wild" in their trailer for Born To Be Wild. It was the one time it would have been acceptable.

i was super mad when Edge of Seventeen (a very good movie) did not at any point use the song Edge of Seventeen (a very good song)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the goal of Disney's superhero (and animation and Star Wars etc etc etc) output is to maximize their audience for all of their films so they can maximize their money. Their goal is to have everyone go and watch all of their films so all of their films can make over a billion dollars. Disney doesn't do pictures aimed at particular audiences (they have stuff like Black Panther and Captain Marvel which are a little more focussed in one direction or the other but the goal is still audience maximization and making that billion, both of which succeeded), so it makes sense that movies like Deadpool and Logan, both of which were decidedly not aimed at audience maximization (by virtue of being rated R), might not ever enter production during Disney rule. Disney is not in the business of making risks. You look at their schedule of movies this year and the most risky film they have is Artemis Fowl, which is still an adaptation of a well-known YA book. All of their films threaten to make that billion dollars, and so they are not risky in any way.

So, if more media output is owned by Disney, we're less likely to see risks. You could argue that the combination of increasing their output through the Fox studios and increasing their reach through their upcoming streaming service might encourage them to make more risks because they have different avenues of release and can target audiences more narrowly, but do you really think they're gonna do that?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wasnt Homes and Watson also one that was just kind of meh and underwhelming, and not anywhere near as legendarily bad as RT wanted it to look like?

that movie was absolute dogshit

Daddy Thanos posted:

There haven't been any good comedy movies in decades because everyone with the ability to make one is making memes now instead

this is both kinda right and really dumb

on the one hand, you're right there are less great pure comedies because most great theatrical release comedies are either also genre movies or also have a lot of pathos to them and push the boundary of what "comedy" is

on the other hand lol at the idea that the people making memes would be making movies without the internet

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Daddy Thanos posted:

I'm guessing you don't have a truly dank meme source and for that I pity you

without the internet those people would be face down in a pile of their own vomit wishing for attention from someone, anyone, please god someone pay attention to me

so actually not much would change

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Funniest films of recent for me, Deadpool 2, spider-verse, jumanji, game night, and guardians 2.

all of which have strong genre influences. Three superhero flicks, an adventure movie and a mystery.

the best "straight" comedies that I've watched from the past few years: Dope, Uncle Drew, Trainwreck, Neighbors. Honestly I dunno what happened, you had The Hangover and Bridesmaids and Horrible Bosses that were all really successful and then i dunno. I kinda blame TV because as TV became less of a place you go when your career dies/hasn't started yet and more of a place where you get more freedom to do what you want, more people wanted TV/streaming projects.

edit: Popstar is amazing but is also a satire so it's kind of separate from the type of movie I'm talking about

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

Your friend helped that movie win best picture, probably.

His friend should call Jeremy and say "hey, the military is working on a new project and I need some help with this" and spend like 20 minutes asking him minute details about shooting arrows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Guy A. Person posted:

Someone at a bar tonight told me I looked like Jeremy Renner from the side. Which now that I think about it was not really a compliment because dude is like 13 years older than me :smugjones:

hey man if someone tells you that you look like george clooney it's not an insult because he looks 55, it's a compliment because who wouldn't want to look like clooney?

same logic pattern here