Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cease to Hope posted:

dark universe, yeah

all of these cinematic universe starters kill themselves trying to be avengers right out of the gate. mummy was doomed to be garbage either way but it spent so much time and energy setting up multiple sequels. maybe let's worry about that after you make one movie worth watching.

Since this "shared cinematic universe" nonsense started, only one company tried to do it right: by given a bunch of control to an artist with a strong vision. Then they shitcanned him because the first two movies only made a billion instead of 2 billion dollars.

The rest of these studios don't even that going for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cease to Hope posted:

The Eternals? Really? That is some pretty deep digging into the archives for stuff to adapt.

Next couple years will be slim pickings until they can roll out endless mutant flicks from the Fox buyout.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Serious question, who’s actually left of note pre-Fox buyout for Marvel to use? Guardians were obviously not first stringer material but they were weird enough to have a hook.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I’m glad Disney owns mutants now, it’ll be fun to watch them together with the other Marvel characters.

I’d rather not have Disney own every mildly profitable IP in the world though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jimbot posted:

And the Black Widow/Banner poo poo was awful. "I can't have kids, so I'm a monster." - written by feminist and humanist icon Joss Whedon.

It’s amazing in hindsight how loving awful Whedon was at writing female characters - and somehow fooled people by making those characters good at fighting.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Chairman Capone posted:

Just to be clear, this was Armond White's "critique", which he made less than a week after the shooting, that SMG was defending:

Thank you for the reminder that both Armond White and SMG are poo poo.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I loathe when they do BIGGEST OPEN/DROP EVER! (of these very specific sub-categories)

Biggest opening ever for an arbor day weekend rom-com lesbian targeted IMAX debut!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Guy A. Person posted:

Even if so, what's with this weird trend of thinking filmmakers you don't like have to be morally deficient? Seems unhealthy.

It’s not a trend. There are plenty of mediocre directors out there like the Russos nobody does this too.
People do it to Whedon because he now has a documented history of being a gross faux-feminist. Synder’s visual style and surface level themes are so strong it’s easy for people to draw conclusions about his moral framework.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Boo hoo I can’t make fun of people different from me, says white male.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

teagone posted:

No one is arguing that the movies Scorsese is championing aren't being made. The argument is that the idea of "cinema" to the moviegoing audience these days is comprised of JUST big franchise blockbusters.

When hasn't it been like this? Big dumb movies have been the mainstay of Hollywood for decades. I'd be more concerned if Scorcese couldn't get a film made AT ALL, but despite media consolidation, between Cable TV/Movies/Streaming I'd argue there's a greater range of artistic expression and quality than there was back then.

1984:

1 Beverly Hills Cop Par. $234,760,478 2,006 $15,214,805 1,532 12/5
2 Ghostbusters Col. $229,242,989 1,506 $13,578,151 1,339 6/8
3 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Par. $179,870,271 1,687 $25,337,110 1,687 5/23
4 Gremlins WB $148,168,459 1,537 $12,511,634 1,511 6/8
5 The Karate Kid Col. $90,815,558 1,111 $5,031,753 931 6/22
6 Police Academy WB $81,198,894 1,587 $8,570,007 1,063 3/23
7 Footloose Par. $80,035,402 1,384 $8,556,935 1,384 2/17
8 Romancing the Stone Fox $76,572,238 1,110 $5,105,741 823 3/30
9 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

1980:
1 The Empire Strikes Back Fox $209,398,025 1,278 $4,910,483 126 5/21
2 9 to 5 Fox $103,290,500 N/A $3,966,832 910 12/19
3 Stir Crazy Col. $101,300,000 N/A $8,691,886 813 12/12
4 Airplane! Par. $83,453,539 N/A N/A N/A 6/27
5 Any Which Way You Can WB $70,687,344 N/A $8,024,663 1,541 12/17
6 Private Benjamin WB $69,847,348 N/A $4,739,769 763 10/10
7 Coal Miner's Daughter Uni. $67,182,787 N/A $3,366,443 437 3/7
8 Smokey and the Bandit II Uni. $66,132,626 N/A $10,883,835 1,196 8/15
9 The Blue Lagoon Col. $58,853,106 N/A N/A N/A 6/20
10 The Blues Brothers

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 22, 2019

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

teagone posted:

Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, Footloose, The Empire Strikes Back, Indiana Jones 2, Airplane!, Gremlins, and Police Academy—among whatever else listed there—offer an array of genres represented by various studios with a huge disparity in production budgets. Today, 3 of top 6 domestic grossing movies from 2019 are comic book movies from the same series, and all 6 films are produced by Disney, and all are big rear end, mega-budget tentpoles.

Fair enough, so is the issue it's all super hero movies or is the issue smaller, more thoughtful cinema isn't happening, or that Disney owns everything now? I feel like we're arguing different points.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

teagone posted:

They're all related issues.

But they're not the same. We can lament that movie studios have changed, but I don't think it's stifled artists as much as it has shifted their focus to different delivery outlets.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

A white guy who complains that "PC culture" won't let him make another Hangover movie doesn't have that much to actually say?

Shocking.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Roman posted:

yeah but he's right. woke culture types often cannot process that "protagonists" don't have to equal "good guy" and that the movies aren't endorsing their actions just because they're the main characters

and even when they acknowledge that, they still think that it will instill bad ideas in the average person because they can't be trusted to process those ideas like adults, and that the movies need to scold them instead

People always freak out about anti-heros in film and literature and "sending the wrong message". That's been happening for decades. You trying to put that on "PC culture" just shows you're a dumb poo poo, chud, or both.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The juvenile sex jokes are cringey, but taking a stereotypical black guy role and giving it to a PLANT seems problematic in sooooo many ways.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

There’s a shot of a shopping mall. It’s 80s as gently caress man!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Knight Boat posted:

Patty Jenkins talking about Wonder Woman 1984 again. She mentions the greed of the 80s being a part of the movie and calls it a time when humanity was at its best and worst. She once again brings up not knowing the cost of what we were doing. So yeah, I guess that confirms that it will be an important theme.

Yup I'm sure those themes will come through strong in a corporate punchwoman movie.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Also, it's not like if Disney has a few bad years the company gets broken up or something. They'll shitcan some upper management (with golden parachutes) and start over.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Speaking of this caan someone break down in basic terms what the whole deal with Sony and Spider-man and rights a few months back was? I could never really grasp what the whole situation was there.

Sony flat out owns the film rights to Spider-Man. Sony did an agreement to let Spider-Man appear in Disney movies, when that expired Disney asked for more $, Sony said no, and apparently Tom Holland called the studio heads crying and they saw reason.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Iger presided over the most profitable period in Disney's history, dude's not getting outed because people hated (but still went to see) Star Wars.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

At this point I expect all the theater chains to go under and Disney buys them for nothing, Thus ensuring a thousand years of Avengers sequels.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Spacebump posted:

There’d have to be a change in the law that prevents studios from owning theaters.

I expect that to be gutted just like every other monopoly-preventing regulation has been over the past 50 years.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Miching Mallecho posted:

It's going to be released in Ocotober though. Unless Halloween Kills becomes a surprise billion dollar hit, I think The Batman is going to do fine.

If you're in the US, :laffo: at the thought of theaters being open in two months.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

lol Austin TX just opened theaters this weekend and the showings all sold out. we're hosed here man

gently caress this dumb earth.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Invalid Validation posted:

They couldn’t make money off Spiderman for fucks sake.

I thought all the Spidey films made money, they just weren’t making Marvel money so they threw it all out.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

They should have us all the time and frustration of these endless delays and just say "It will be released two weeks after a vaccine becomes available to the public".

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The Steve at the end of endgame is from the next universe over. He married Peggy and in fact was always the person who married Peggy. He told her he was from the future or an alternate dimension, explained as best he could and they had a happy life.

Steve Prime went one universe to the left when he time traveled, married that Peggy, and was always the one to have married that Peggy.

Steve from one universe to the left went one more universe to the left and did the same thing.

Steve from two universe to the right went one universe to the left, and married the Peggy from the universe of the Steve we saw at the end of endgame.

Imagine four Steves on the edge of a cliff

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Robot Style posted:

They're claiming they hired a new guy to be the face model to better match up with the voice actor's facial capture.

Sounds like somebody's contract didn't cover rights for remasters!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's perfect. Now they never have to stop having first meetings between heroes where they quip at each other.

"Who are you?"
"Spiderman"
"We already got one of those" or "They made MORE?" or "I liked the other guy better" as they wink at the camera.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PlushCow posted:

Yeah they have, why not?

I'd choose Maguire's Green Goblin and Doc Ock, Garfield's Electro, the Lizard (or Giamatti's Rhino??), and Holland's Vulture, Mysterio. There's two from each series, I can count. Sounds great.

The de-aging effects that can be done now look pretty good so you could get some face shots the older actors looking like they did at release.

Yeah, let's put 3 Spidermen and 6 villains in one movie, it'll be 180 minutes of introductions.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Wasn’t the Synderverse was like the Garfield Spider-Man flicks in that they made good money, but they didn’t make Avengers money so the studios shitcanned them?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ruddiger posted:

Oh word, I didn’t see anything in the James Gunn article say anything about them standing up for the editors and PAs and the rest of the shoot/post crew, if he’s fighting for for their deserved portion then yeah, more power to them. Can you quote that part of his statement since I can’t find it?

I don't know much about Hollywood production, but aren't most of the "production" people (like PAs, editors, etc), just paid a flat wage for their work? Why would WW84 coming out on HBOMax vs. theaters matter to them financially?

Space Fish posted:

Where's the threshold for owners cutting out so many people that the industry is remade by a new, rising class of at least tentatively fairer owners?

Somewhere near "collapse of society".

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The talent of the four leads was mega wasted.