Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Other than Wonder Woman 1984, there's no comic book movies i'm really looking forward to. I haven't felt that way about this genre since before the current MCU started with Iron Man really. Nothing coming out in the next 2 years looks interesting at all.

If they can keep the magic of the Spider-verse alive that will be great. And with Incredibles 2 making over a billion dollars (like holy poo poo I didn't realize this til the other day) they might make a sequel sooner rather than later but if they actually want Brad Bird to direct (i.e. for it to be any good) it will probably be a minimum of 5 years.

Burkion posted:

There's always Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019 to throw your money at

Oh yeah and this will rule.

But yeah with literally every other franchise including Hellboy and Deadpool getting the Marvel makeover poo poo it looking grim for the immediate future.

(oh I guess Joker looks promising, maybe more "prestige" stuff will come out of that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh man, I can't wait for the Avengers themed Oscars "In Memoriam" segment, brought to you by Walt Disney Studio's Marvel Studio's Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4

After they show each picture they do the "turn to dust" effect from IW

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Cameo posted:

I still can’t figure out how he went to prison and came out a Republican, it makes no loving sense whatsoever

I guarantee he 1) wasn't treated nearly as bad in prison as the average prisoner anyway and 2) probably genuinely believes that he deserved to be in prison and that his success is his reward for cleaning up his life, and just flat out doesn't acknowledge that 99% of other people who go through the criminal justice system don't just get the chances he did

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

EPCOT is already getting a GotG indoor coaster and considering they’re actually pretty big on the authenticity of their world showcase if anything it would be shoved into a different section of the park. Considering the obvious tie-in, Animal Kingdom would be the better choice.

There's a lot more ridey stuff at the front of the park near the globe, I think they consider that separate from the world showcase.

Even then, Norway got a Frozen ride when it was obvious it would draw more visitors than what they had there previously.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah Star Wars Land is opening this fall, it's a totally new area so they're probably good on where to put new Star Wars stuff for awhile. I wonder if they'll clear out the existing Star Wars mini-area for some more Marvel stuff tho.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah it’s an interesting choice. The Jedi Training and Star Tours are very popular so if they’re not keeping them there I’d imagine they’re moving them. That would be a gigantic engineering feat and cost for essentially a short move of resources. My guess is they stay out and they just add new stuff. There’s only a bar and a brief jaunt down a normal street between Star Tours and the gate to the new area.

Yeah that's probably a really good point about the engineering cost. I figured they could leverage both into something else and replicate/update Star Tours/Jedi training in the new area, but that's probably wishful thinking to satisfy my OCD about things being grouped properly :ohdear:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Friends Are Evil posted:

So there’s 100% some kinda kayfabe thing going on with Mysterio, right?

Yeah absolutely. Given that his whole schtick is illusion and special effects, he's setting this whole thing up to look like a hero. Presumably he either has an evil ulterior motive, or his stunts end up getting out of control and hurting people. Unless there's a third act switcheroo in the general wheelhouse of what AlBorlantern Corps mentioned above that is.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

having Sandman/Hydroman/Molten Man as fake "special effects" instead of real villains would actually be a genius move in relation to Mysterio and now I hope that's the twist. I can't imagine it going any other way because 4 villains in one movie would be overstuffed as gently caress.

I didn't even actually realize there was a Molten Man. My first thought was actually, "wait is that Sand Man, and Hydro Man? Oh nm I don't think there's a fire guy so it's probably just generic elemental monsters". But yeah that would be great, if you think it's those guys and it's just a fakeout instead.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah there's an all-black suit at roughly 1:53 with a bunch of tactical straps and poo poo on it, and the goggles flip down or something.

Presumably it's either a temporary improvised suit or else some specialized SHIELD suit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It just occurred to me that Happy is still there, I wonder what that means for Tony's survival chance?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

His character arc in the first movie is that he gets harmed by weapons so he decides only HE should have weapons (and also be surrounded by a shell to protect him) and then this escalates throughout the movies.

Like, sure he stopped making weapons to sell to governments for warfare but he also made Ultron right in the middle of his multi-film arc.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

To the extent the Tony/Peter relationship works is that while Tony is trying to mentor Peter, he's actually learning more himself.

Spider-Man tho shouldn't get that speech so long into his heroing in my opinion in either case. At this point he's proven he doesn't really need to hear that, he already is a hero.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

To be fair, Batman is pretty fuckable. One could even argue he's objectively the most fuckable.

Nothing like a guy with daddy and mommy issues am i right :wiggle:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fart City posted:

Yeah I mean if he’s like any other billionaire he’s just gonna make you poo poo on a glass coffee table while he lays under it.

They call that move the "glass bottom boat"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Children are being taught that nothing matters because corporate controlled serial franchises exist" is a nuclear level take, but there are legitimate criticisms about the MCU having no consequences, and therefor saying nothing really interesting or of value.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Noted children's movie franchise the MCU, which began with soldiers being killed in Iraq.

I think y'all are misinterpreting what SSB is saying. He's not saying Spider-Man/MCU is children's media (although to a large extent they are), he's mocking the dumb Twitter guy's idea that happy endings/low consequence conflicts teach kid bad lessons, when almost all actual children's media is low consequence and ends happily.

The more I think about this the more hilarious it is tho. The guy just transparently is upset that his punchman movies aren't as consequential as he imagines. As if the most dangerous and toxic lesson from a franchise where a team of Nietzschean Overmen team up with the CIA to do extrajudicial violence is roughly the same as what Boomers complain about when they mock participation trophies.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol that's good on Sony honestly

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That's literally the "calvary has arrived shot", it's right after an alien war god has teleported directly onto the battlefield in a column of light from the heavens.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

A mountain arrived?

crud

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I finally saw Aquaman last night. It was a lot better than I expected but you also had to fully buy into the campy weirdness and even then they could have gone harder in that direction. There were some genuinely good shots too, especially the diving through a swarm of sea monster sequence.

The score was eclectic as hell tho. You had your typical super hero swelling orchestras mixed with future techno for chase scenes and then a random Pit Bull song that sampled Africa just blasting after a first act defeat.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My favorite random song was the music montage of manta building his suit. Just came out of fuckin nowhere. All of a sudden was in a completely different film

That's another thing, I feel like it was openly homaging a bunch of different films and styles and the references were coming fast and furious*. Like the scene in the desert temple, aside from obviously having some Indiana Jones flavor, was clearly referencing The Fifth Element, right?

*I didn't intend this pun but noticed it after I finished typing

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 18, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The theatrical cut tbf is paced very oddly, it's because they were forced by the studio to cut I think something like 20+ minutes in order to squeeze in an extra screening per day. I read (and have posted in here) and interview with the editor which really impressed me and gave me a lot more respect for how editors work.

I don't think he said this explicitly but IMO his basic strategy was the continue the type of dream-logic flow of the first few scenes through basically all of the first Act. It wasn't that the basic facts were hard to follow it was more that they flowed in such an odd way that it was hard to get your bearings. Anecdotal of course but I went with among others my wife who occasionally goes with us to comic book stuff but doesn't really follow what's part of what universe, and my sister-in-law who doesn't follow this poo poo at all, and they didn't have any problems following it.

After watching a few more times I actually prefer the theatrical cut, the pace grew on me a lot and works since it basically carries from the initial traumatic opening scenes to the Knightmare, at which point things get a lot more focused. I think my ideal cut is somewhere between the theatrical and director's cut.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I didn't say anything about how hard it is to follow or what the characters motivations are. I understood everyone's motivations in Batman and Robin as well.

Genuinely curious, what do you specifically mean by "coherence" in that case?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea just got out of Glass and liked it a whole lot. Really tied the two previous movies together really well.

I didn't think the "explaining what comic books are" thing was even as egregious as all that, it was more "here's when the earliest comics started" which ties into the whole idea that it's part of a tradition of chronicling these things.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CityMidnightJunky posted:

You Snyder weirdos are really bad at processing criticism huh?

There was nothing to "process" in your post. You just said "it bad"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BP should have done more with the battle rhinos, and Aquaman should have done more with the drumming Octopus

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

That Octopus was motion captured by none other than Neil Peart.

Should've been Rick Allen from Def Leppard

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Based on "the rule of thirds (there are three people in the shot)" it's definitely tongue in cheek

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vargo posted:

That wasn't OPS though, it was someone responding to OPS making fun of them.

Oh drat, I misinterpreted that at the time.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

WarEternal posted:

Highlight of seeing Glass was when one of the characters was googling something and the person next to me leaned to their wife and whispered "he's a mastermind".

I haven't seen any other examples in awhile but I immediately was thinking Glass had the most realistic computer use I've seen in a movie at least in awhile. The person doing the googling was opening multiple tabs to save stuff in, and then later another character wrote what looked like a realistic conditional (although the text was too tiny/quick to see what language it was)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aren't Gunn and Snyder already buddies tho? At the very least it makes sense for Gunn to get his perspective on working with WB since he is coming from a different corporate environment. Not that that means all that much either but I could see there being more involvement than the typical EP credit.

We also know that Wan also met with Snyder for Aquaman to keep the vision of the character consistent, and he had similar input on WW and SS. Weirdly, it seems like a bunch of people in the actual industry have a lot of respect for the guy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Sadly those words mean nothing to me.

Either way it definitely feels like I need to do a binge to figure out what the gently caress.

I haven't actually kept up on the series but from the context it sounds like they are not "literally" super powered in the logic of the film universe. Like they don't explain that Dom has the mutant gene and can telepathically control cars or whatever. They just increasingly do poo poo that is so unbelievable that they are basically super heroes, like the example RBA used.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but that trailer literally opens with Idris Elba saying he's the next stage of human evolution and punching through steel doors.

Also apparently they keep "saving the world"? Like, what the hell? I really have to see how they got there from "I can't go to jail for robbing these trucks."

Well holy poo poo then haha I guess they have gone full super powers, my bad

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

In fairness, this is the first one with explicit superpowers, rather than them implicitly being muscle car wizards.

Yeah the latter is the impression I got from this forum, friends who've seen it, and the rare bits I've caught on premium TV. I admittedly didn't watch the trailer, but that's wild that they've decided to go in that direction.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Both will lose actually.

Honestly they deserve to, this is a dismal game

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McCloud posted:

You'd think it'd shapeshift into a movie that didn't look like poo poo

But then it'd be obvious it wasn't a Marvel movie and the jig would be up

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I have zero problems with a three hour movie but i'm pretty sure i'm in the minority here.

I'm down for it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it at least for the first run through. I feel like Marvel and especially Avengers stuff tends to diminish for me on repeated views as the novelty wears off and I can see the seams on the action, I don't think a 3 hour cut would help with that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol why are they in a Chevy logo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

This clip sucks and looks SO boring, but am I the only person that thinks the Iron Man CGI armor is somehow MUCH worse in Infinity War?

Nah, and the Spidey armor is also terrible, they should have at least given it the same texture as the Civil War/Homecoming version.

I think the physical suits Downey wore were more a frame of reference thing, I don't know that he ever had fully realized armor suits in the actual movies (maybe a flipped open hellemet and some shoulders for closeups tho?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I think there was at least one real suit because iirc someone stole it

I know there were real suits but I thought it was explained that they used those to understand the lighting and get the proper physical presence of Downey moving in a suit. But scenes of him actually on screen in a fully body shot were otherwise all CGI.

I may be way off tho, now that I realize my source is me half remembering it explained in a sfx video somewhere