Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cythereal posted:

Huh. I just rewatched the trailer and it looked to me like the same suit as in the rest of the trailer, just in lovely lighting.

You're fuckin' blind bruh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Black Panther gets a best picture nod... But not Logan or The Dark Knight. :laffo:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

Logan was cool but I don’t think it’s fair to put it anywhere in the same league as The Dark Knight. X-24 was exceedingly lame.

They're both "prestige" films in the genre compared to basically everything else.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Almost Blue posted:

I'm almost certain that footage is from costume tests to see how they'll look on camera with different lighting. Weird that they released it as a teaser.

They sort of did the same thing for Joaquin Phoenix's Joker.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

K. Waste posted:

Seems almost like a career reboot. First he'll do another zombie movie, then he'll do his next 300.

Wasn't there a bit where Snyder said he wanted to do a movie about George Washington during the American Revolution, 300 style?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

$90 million is plenty for Snyder to play with.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah that's too bad. Ben was a great Bruce/Batman.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'd be ok if WB/DC comes full circle with Armie Hammer and casts him as the new Batman. I thought he and Cavill paired well on screen in The Man from Uncle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

You know that scene in The Patriot when Mel Gibson is continually hacking away at that British soldier with his tomahawk? That's basically the Yondu slaughter scene, except GotG depicts that kind of scenario in upbeat fashion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yondu would have used the arrow to shoot Star Lord so he didn't gently caress up the attempt to get the gauntlet off Thanos.

Yeah, this. Yondu don't gently caress around.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tarantino-esque violence is totally appropriate for a Disney Marvel film, I agree.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Never seen any of the Fast and Furious movies. All I know about them is that the one with Ludacris starring in it, has a Ludacris song featured during a sequence in the film.

They do the Avengers-style crossover better than Avengers in Fast Five. Tokyo Drift is my favorite.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

There is something funny in here about calling it a crossover instead of just a sequel and how that reflects on the MCU, but I can't quite put it into words because I'm not SMG.

Fast Five is the culmination of all Fast films in the Fast & Furious Cinematic Universe that came before it, bringing in the other superheroes from The Fast and Furious, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Tokyo Drift and Fast & Furious to join Dom and Brian, forming a superteam to take on Hobbs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I watched Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition last night and gently caress it's still so good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Megasabin posted:

We will probably do the same thing for Batman vs. Superman

Make sure it's the Ultimate Edition.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Does anyone actually care about seeing Captain Marvel instead of just Infinity War 2?

I was pretty hype when they announced Brie Larson was cast. I tried reading Captain Marvel comics to educate myself, but holy poo poo they're bad. And then all the subsequent trailers and clips that have come out significantly lowered my expectations. It looks rote as gently caress, and Brie Larson seems like she's sleepwalking through the role. Also her vocal fry is far too noticeable for me and I hate it, but I guess it's era-appropriate?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Movie Fight
https://twitter.com/brielarson/status/1091578878160588807
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkiP8j2FBq4&hd=1

To make it fair, I cropped the Aquaman sequence from the extended trailer and tried to make it similar in length to the clip Brie Larson tweeted out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The blood rave opening scene remains the best opening scene in any comic book movie imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I've never noticed how awkward Black Widow's running looks in that clip. Lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I love the example too. poo poo is spot on, lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Chiming in to gush over Alita too, as I already have been in its own thread. Straight up, it's an all-around great moviegoing experience; a fun story pulled straight from the manga and OVA remixed into a good rear end movie that embraces and reveres the source material. All the action is super clean in the film, and it has some of the best set pieces in recent years that easily tops a lot of the action in most bigger blockbusters imo. And Rosa Salazar is so good as Alita. She's so drat likable, charming, and turns in a really amazing performance. A++ deffo recommend.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like the best example of what I'm talking about is what the heart scene ends with.

Most of that scene is, in fact, extra as hell. Alita literally rips out her own heart and hands it to Hugo like "MY HEART IS REALLY GODDAMN EXPENSIVE, WE CAN SELL IT AND GET ME A CHEAP REPLACEMENT." But then the way his :stare: reaction just makes her loving deflate and go "sorry, I can be a little intense sometimes :ohdear:" is genuinely loving hilarious, because it's such a low-key little joke thrown into this over-the-top bizarre romantic scene.

Alita's heart beating in her hand, out of focus during that whole scene had me laughing in a "what the eff" kind of way lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

No real source, but apparently Armie Hammer is in finals talks to be the new Batman. https://revengeofthefans.com/2019/02/18/armie-hammer-is-in-final-talks-to-be-the-batman-exclusive/

Hope it's true, since he got snubbed with George Miller's JL movie. He'd be great in the role imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If anyone has a vero account, I'd love to see a screen cap of his message to Ben.

https://www.newsarama.com/43977-zack-snyder-says-goodbye-to-the-best-batman-ever-ben-affleck.html

:unsmith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Alita seems to be doing pretty good at the box office :unsmith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Terminator 2 came out in 1991. Shame on all of you.

[edit] Not one mention of Demolition Man either. The gently caress dudes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

T2 was mentioned by two different people on this page though?

e: dammit, on the previous page

It should be mentioned by everyone.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

My favourite Captain Marvel review is the one that says it stumbles in a few spots but only because it’s so incredibly ambitious.
(timestamped for relevancy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9hwGZFPSmw&t=1522s

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Titanic came out when I was in 5th grade I think. All the girls in my class liked it, and I liked it too. All my buds thought I was a loser for liking it, but I was able to talk to the girls about the movie. Big brain.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The producer of the Harry Potter movies is spearheading the big budget adaptation of Attack on Titan for Warner Bros, so that's likely the next one we'll be seeing. Last I read, the director of the It remake is slated to direct the first of what I'm assuming will be a series of films if they'll be following the Harry Potter model, i.e., cast 3 young leads to be Eren, Mikasa, and Armin and follow them through the story.

[edit]

The MSJ posted:

Marc Webb is directing the American version of Your Name.

Oh poo poo, that's news to me and got me excited.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

this could be good. I like Marc Webb, and if they throw all of the work they currently have done into a big deep hole with a fire at the bottom and start over anew without using terrible Native American stereotypes i could see it working.

Yeah I looked up that's it's a remake changing the setting to Chicago and a Native American countryside. Wat. My excitement dropped lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I read a spoilered plot synopsis of Captain Marvel on reddit and it sounds booooring. Hope it's a fakeout and lot different than the summary suggests, but if not :rip:https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudiosSpoilers/comments/asuqti/captain_marvel_plot_leaked_in_douban/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think Fist of the North Star deserves another shot at a live action adaptation.

Hell, just take the 1986 animated movie plot and go with it. It'd be so good now.

Directed by Zack Snyder. Performance capture The Rock as Kenshiro.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Burkion posted:

The Rock would not make a good Kenshiro

Says you.
https://twitter.com/Artgerm/status/974512059151925250?s=19

I know he would be bad. That makes it great.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

love this shot so much

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:laffo:

[edit]

Robot Style posted:

Cool thing about this shot - just before the explosion that kills doomsday, there's a few radial shockwaves that ring out from his body - these were originally intended to be the thing that woke up the motherboxes for Steppenwolf to find, and the opening of Justice League would have revisited this moment, similar to how BvS showed the ending of Man of Steel from a different POV.

Man, what the gently caress WB? If the fabled Snyder cut of JL ever gets released, and it opens like BvS revising a moment from the previous film, I'll :gizz:

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 23, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Samovar posted:

What is good about it?

Wonder Woman bias. I love it because she is front and center with Batman and Superman behind her in the first ever shot of DC's "trinity" on film. When it plays out in the movie, WW's theme is also blaring as the camera zooms in on them. It also just looks great; I like the lens flare caused by sparks from Batman's hosed up batwing and all the texture in the shot from the debris/fire surrounding the 3 heroes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Samovar posted:

Hmm. I find the line from the lensflare to separate most of WW and Batman in an odd fashion.

It looks cooler in motion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

It doesn't have glowing poo poo all over it.

It's a flat shot of what was presented to be a killing blow to the film's big bad villain. There's zero drama in the screencap, and it lacks any sense of struggle or conflict; it's just a dude staring at dude who is kneeling. There's no sense of depth, no contrast, etc., etc. Basically everything poo poo with Marvel's "house style" — it just looks boring and static. There's nothing cinematic/dynamic about the scene.

It's even worse in motion tbh. The forest makes for a boring backdrop, much like the airport during the big fight in Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I really don't mind Infinity War, it's a fun and entertaining movie, but taking that scene out of context really just shows how lazy the filmmaking is. There's so many cool images you could have conjured up for that scenario. I mean poo poo, after delivering the blow, Thor literally just plops down in front of Thanos with a comical THUD sound effect. There's nothing dramatic about it.

Imagine a cool, slow panning over-the-shoulder shot from behind Thor with his cape billowing about in the foreground as he slowly makes his way to an out-of-focus Thanos keeled over, writhing in agony. Do something with the set dressing too. The moment when the axe strikes Thanos, maybe have it set the surrounding forest ablaze from the lightning, or turn the trees into smoldering stumps with embers or something. Just loving something to make the background look more cinematic and interesting, making it a proper backdrop to the culmination of Thanos' journey. The music sucks too. Change all of that.