Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

edit: OSCAR NOMS ARE HERE!!

Hello all! Welcome to the discussion thread for all of the awards shows coming up in the next few months (but especially the Oscars because they're the most important). We began last weekend in earnest with the Golden Globes (I'll get to that in a moment), but there are still plenty of shows to get to and movies to talk about, so let's get to it!

The Movies

I'll list some of what I think are going to be the biggest players in the big races this year, i'm not going to get to everything so if you want something in here that's not in here, write it yourself and I'll toss it in.

Black Panther
The best shot a superhero movie has had at winning something serious since The Dark Knight. Everyone loved it, it made a bajillion dollars, it's representative of a more diverse Hollywood that will slowly but surely become the future, but the most important question is: is it really worth nominating for Best Picture?
Best shot at winning: A bunch of technical awards, especially production design. This movie looks great and the Academy is getting more diverse but it's still not going to give its biggest award to a superhero movie.

BlackkKlansman
Spike Lee's latest has been his most commercially and critically successful in a while, and the consensus is that Spike is due something for all that he's done, but if it's a winner, it's likely going to be his Departed rather than truly his best work.
Best shot at winning: Best Picture, and that's still pretty unlikely. This movie does everything very well, but no one thing the best, which means it's likely to be shut out come time to actually hand out the trophies.

Bohemian Rhapsody
The picture of Freddy Mercury painted by Accused Rapist Brian Singer is not ideal, and the movie itself is incredibly cliche but when has that ever stopped the Academy when it came time to give out trophies for acting?
Best shot at winning: Best Actor, which Rami Malek picked up at the Globes already. It doesn't have the stink of awarding Singer in any capacity, and like Jamie Foxx and Reese Witherspoon and so many before them, playing a troubled but great musician is a great way to pick up some hardware.

Crazy Rich Asians
Might as well just copy-paste my Black Panther synopsis for this one. It's diverse, it's great, it made truckloads, and it's one of the best representations of a genre that rarely gets Oscar love (romantic comedy) in quite a while. But again, it will come up short because that is not a type of movie the Academy looks to award
Best shot at winning: the nominations will be the real win for this one. It could get a Best Picture nom, Michelle Yeoh could get a Supporting Actress nom, and maybe a costuming nomination, but aside from that, it's chances are eh.

The Favourite
Alright now this is some real real Oscar poo poo right here. A movie that everyone will complain that no one actually saw outside of LA/NYC in a month when things really start to heat up. Which is too bad, because by all accounts this movie is one of the tops of the year, with three acting performances by three women who could all feasibly win something.
Best shot at winning: one of those actress awards. Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz are up in supporting and Olivia Colman is up in leading and Colman won the Globe (albeit in the comedy section), and all three could be bringing home that trophy.

Green Book
here. we. go. This is a movie where the family of one of the subjects has come out and said that their family member was poorly portrayed, and family of the other is responsible for writing it that way. It's a movie about racism brought to you by a bad Jersey stereotype writing about his dad and the guy who directed Dumb and Dumber. (also the writer loves Donald Trump) and yet,
Best shot at winning: this wouldn't even be here a week ago but the nimrods at the HFPA went and gave it best picture so maybe if the brainworms that ate through their skulls make their way into the academy we're in for a real "treat" come time for the final award. It also got best supporting actor (which seemed, compared to the other awards it won, pretty well deserved because Mahershala Ali is great and also knows how to play the game) and screenplay (if this wins a screenplay award and they let that combination of people talk in front of a microphone I will eat an entire can of Kraft Parmesan Cheese.)

If Beale Street Could Talk
the anti-Green Book. a movie about a black family, from a book written by James Baldwin, directed by the man who directed Moonlight. I have not seen it, but by all accounts it is wonderful and beautiful and I'm very excited to. Barry Jenkins is great.
Best shot at winning: Regina King won best supporting actress at the Globes and she stands a real chance at doing so again on Oscar night.

Mary Poppins Returns
Disney made a sequel to Mary Poppins with the Hamilton guy. People love all of those things.
Best shot at winning: in a normal year, it would probably have Best Song wrapped up by now but Lin is gonna have to wait another year to EGOT, so we'll likely get some production design and costuming nods and maybe a Best Picture nomination if everyone is feeling nostalgic enough.

Roma
Alfonso Cuarón made a beautiful black and white film about living in Mexico. It's wonderful but also it came out on Netflix which the Academy, traditionally is very cool on.
Best shot at winning: It's pretty much got Best Foreign Language Film locked up, and a strong chance at Best Director like the Globes gave it, but that depends almost entirely on whether the Academy is willing to overlook who brought the movie to everyone in the first place.

A Star is Born
I'd just put a video of Lady Gaga singing that note from Shallow here and call it a day but I'm too lazy to find a link. It's the same story told before, but with Gaga. It's amazing.
Best shot at winning: Shallow is going to win Best Song. It's got a decent shot at Best Picture. at one point people were talking up Gaga for Best Actress but I think that moment has passed.

Vice
Everyone loving hates Dick Chaney and loving loves when an actor puts on a bunch of weight and prosthetics. A dark horse for various things IMO.
Best shot at winning: Christian Bale is the front-runner for Best Actor, Best Makeup is a real possibility, and screenplay is a decent shot as well.

Other Movies with the things they'll likely/potentially be nominated for in parenthesis:
Beautiful Boy (Supporting Actor)
Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Best Supporting Actor, Best Actress?)
First Man (Supporting Actress, Score, Various Technical Awards esp. Editing)
The Wife (Best Actress)
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse (Best Animated Feature)

Likely Snubs that will make me very sad:
Eighth Grade
First Reformed
Hereditary
Widows

The Shows

There are a lot of shows coming up, but I'll talk about the few most important shows before giving y'all a big ol' list of everything at the end.

Golden Globe Awards

The Globes are traditionally the first big awards show of the season and the ones with the most questionable results (due to their results being selected by less than 100 foreign members of the Hollywood press who are willing to sell their souls to eat food in proximity to famous people). The awards show is generally pretty fun to watch because the stars get to drink during the reception.

Big Winners:
Green Book - 3 Awards (Picture - Comedy or Musical, Supporting Actor, Screenplay)
Bohemian Rhapsody - 2 Awards (Picture - Drama, Actor)
Roma - 2 Awards (Foreign Picture, Director)

Results are here

Yes, you read those big winners right. And no, I did not get the categories switched around. Bohemian Rhapsody was not nominated as a musical. Actually, the categories were remarkably balanced this year, which each category having its fair share of awards contenders (Vice and The Favourite in Comedy, A Star is Born, BlackkKlansman and Beale Street in Drama), but holy loving poo poo did the HFPA pick the absolute worst pair of movies to give their big awards to. Bohemian Rhapsody was a crowd-pleaser that didn't do its subject justice, got an underwhelming response from critics, and had to deal with a scandal during it's production (when director Bryan Singer, accused rapist, fled the country for a while and someone else had to finish). Green Book was a crowd-pleaser that didn't do one of its subjects justice, got an underwhelming response from critics, and is having to deal with repeated scandals right now (the family of Donald Shirley calling the movie out as a bunch of lies, the writer being a Trump fan who pumped up Trump's false claim on Twitter about Muslims celebrating in Jersey on 9/11). Both also handled the particular identities of their subjects with less than stellar results (Mercury as a queer icon, Shirley as a black man/musical genius). So naturally their production companies rolled out the big guns when it came to wining and dining the HFPA, noted star-fuckers and bribe-accepters. God willing, this is an outlier and not a harbinger of things to come.

BAFTA Awards

The British Association of Film and Television Arts Awards are basically the Oscars for the UK. They primarily celebrate British productions (naturally) but they do have categories for pictures from elsewhere. They don't always line up with the other shows but they do tend to be interesting.

Nominations are here

Spirit Awards

The Independent Spirit Awards are for independent movies! Sometimes smaller pictures don't always get a fair shake at the big shows (although that's less true than it was when the Spirits started) so this show is for those movies.

Nominations are here

Various Guild Awards

Pretty much every individual Academy Award has an entire show dedicated to the guild of people who do that thing, so everything from producers, directors and actors, down to sound editors, makeup/costuming and animated movies have their own show. The Producers Guild Awards tend to be one of the best predictors of the Academy Awards, but all of the guilds are worth watching to see differences between how different positions see films.

Producers Guild nominations are here
Directors Guild nominations are here
Screen Actors Guild nominations are here

Big Ol' List:

JANUARY 2019
Wednesday, January 2 – Online Film Critics Society Winners Announced
Saturday, January 5 – National Society of Film Critics Awards
Sunday, January 6 – Golden Globe Awards (NBC, 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT)
Monday, January 7 – New York Film Critics Circle Awards
Saturday, January 12 – GALECA: The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics’ Dorian Awards
Sunday, January 13 – Critics’ Choice Film + TV Awards
Saturday, January 19 – Producers Guild of America Awards
Tuesday, January 22 – Academy Awards Nominations
Sunday, January 27 – Screen Actors Guild Awards (TNT, 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT)

FEBRUARY 2019
Sunday, February 1 – Association of Cinema Editors Eddie Awards
Saturday, February 2 – Annie Awards
Sunday, February 2 – Art Directors Guild Awards
Saturday, February 2 – Directors Guild of America Awards
Tuesday, February 5 – Visual Effects Society Awards
Thursday, February 7 – Black Reel Awards
Friday, February 9 – American Society of Cinematographers Awards
Friday, February 9 – USC Scripter Awards
Sunday, February 10 – BAFTAs
Saturday, February 16 – Cinema Audio Society Awards
Sunday, February 17 – Motion Picture Sound Editors’ Golden Reel Awards
Sunday, February 17 – Online Film & Television Association Film Winners Announced
Sunday, February 17 – Writers Guild of America Awards
Tuesday, February 19 – Costume Designers Guild Awards
Tuesday, February 19 – Makeup and Hairstyling Guild Awards
Saturday, February 23 – Film Independent Spirit Awards
Sunday, February 24 – Academy Awards (ABC, 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

even though it probably had zero chance to begin with, Mandy being disqualified due to stupid streaming/distribution rules guaranteed my interest was going to wane this year. It is extremely cool though to see The Favorite do so well, as Yorgos Lanthimos is an incredible director. I hope this success helps fund his next few oddball projects.

Toni Collette is going to get snubbed big time which really sucks. Shape Of Water/Get Out was probably a one-off genre year that won't be duplicated anytime soon so we're back to not giving a poo poo about stuff like Hereditary.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m gonna be so mad when Ethan Hawke and Toni Collette get snubbed.

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 10, 2019

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I feel like Hawke has a good shot at a nomination but no chance in hell of actually winning.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Colette is the one that will be the worst snub, because I can see her maybe not even getting any major nominations. And that would be criminal, but performances in horror tend to be ignored.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I had no idea Bohemian Rhapsody had the potential to be such an awards darling. I haven't seen it, but it looks pretty paint-by-numbers.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 10, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

General Dog posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I had no idea Bohemian Rhapsody had the potential to be such an awards darling. I haven't seen it, but it looks pretty paint-by-numbers.

It is (you’d be forgiven for thinking it was a Walk Hard-esque mockery of biopics if you didn’t know the truth), but people love Queen and eat up generic biopics. I don’t think it will be as successful going forward but you never know. (If Bryan Singer rears his ugly rapey head it could get rough)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
This year is pretty weak compared to last year. Call Me By Your Name, Ladybird, The Shape of Water, Get Out, Dunkirk, The Phantom Thread and Three Billboards are all really, really fantastic pieces. Even The Post is at worst, standard, but by no means a bad movie. I'm glad that Shape of Water won, but it was a really impressive pack.

This year, If Beale Street Could Talk really wrecks the competition. I haven't seen Roma yet, and I imagine the two will be close in my mind. I loved The Favourite and enjoyed A Star is Born a lot, but goddamn it, If Beale Street Could Talk.

I'm also hoping that the Golden Globe win and Pixar's bad press pave the way for Spiderverse winning best animated. Getting the Oscar could be a watershed moment for what animated features look like going forward.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Colette is the one that will be the worst snub, because I can see her maybe not even getting any major nominations. And that would be criminal, but performances in horror tend to be ignored.
I'm guessing Hereditary at least gets a cinematography nom. A Quiet Place will definitely get nominated for something, and Suspiria has a shot as well. There is a really, really good chance of three horror noms this year with the big Get Out win from last year.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Annihilation and A Quiet Place will probably get snubbed just like the Blade Runner 2049 director did last year, which further confirms the Academy Awards are loving stupid.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Widows is so loving supreme, where is the love for Widows

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Widows is so loving supreme, where is the love for Widows

My man.

I don't think I saw anything better than Widows this year that would qualify for awards.

Horror really brought it this year but I don't think Suspiria is going to get any love, despite it being the best of the bunch. It's odd to think of Hereditary as the 'safe' horror choice this year, but I think that's where we're at.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Is this the worst season since 2011?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

James Woods Fan posted:

Is this the worst season since 2011?
I think my top three of the likely nominees so far (The Favourite, Beale Street, A Star is Born) is definitely better than 2011 (The Artist, Hugo, The Tree of Life). 2011 really should have dipped into popular movies. Brides Maids and Rise of the Planet of the Apes are definitely better than some of the best picture nominees of that year.

I think this year, the fact that Black Panther is probably a lock for Best Picture sort of opens the floodgates. I really could see Crazy Rich Asians and A Quiet Place being nominated with a nominee list that looks like this:

A Star is Born
The Favourite
Roma
Vice
BlacKKKlansman
Green Book
Black Panther
Crazy Rich Asians
A Quiet Place

But man I would take loving Avengers over Green Book.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

2016 was a really bad season outside of Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea.

Honestly, this year could be phenomenal except the money and Hollywood suckers keep elevating bullshit like Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody. Cut out the fat and you get a slate like Beale Street, BlacKkKlansman, Roma, The Favourite, and which could and should have included First Reformed, Zama, Support the Girls (which is getting so many critics awards but no institutional love), and Can You Ever Forgive Me? Other critical darlings being completely passed over by the institutions despite being at least within their purview: You Were Never Really Here, Blindspotting, The Death of Stalin, The Other Side of the Wind.

Tit for tat I'd say 2018 was a much better year than 2017, but we're just getting flooded with garbage come awards season.

For what it's worth though, I liked Vice and I think Christian Bale's performance is worth awarding, though Ethan Hawke gave the best male performance of the year bar none.

edit: Lionsgate SERIOUSLY dropped the ball on Blindspotting. That movie should have been a Best Picture frontrunner with Daveed Diggs in the Best Actor field and certainly a screenplay nod. It manages to both be a powerful and honest depiction of institutionalized racism but also in the end a kind of crowd pleaser, which helps by being a really strong blend of comedy and drama, that can be palatable to the older Oscar voter crowd. You have Diggs coming off of Hamilton fame, it breaks the fourth wall at times without the full surrealism of Sorry to Bother You. This really should have been the contender instead of loving Green Book.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 13, 2019

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
I’m real butthurt that Mandy is disqualified. It was never going to be nominated for a major acting, writing, or directing category (though in a just world it would have been), but I legitimately think the score would have had a shot. It’s got the most memorable and atmospheric score I’ve heard since The Witch, which is another movie that definitely should have gotten some Oscar noms but didn’t because the academy is dumb and hates horror despite horror being drat near the only genre that’s doing anything creative these days.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mandy was never going to be nominated for anything at all.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

the fact that Black Panther is probably a lock for Best Picture

I really don't think this is anything resembling a fact. This is still the Academy and there's a lot 'safer' choices they could go with. Even Beale Street is more likely to me.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The foreign-language movie category is going to whip rear end this year. Even if Roma is going to win, Shoplifters, Cold War, and Capernaum are as good as most other years' winners.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

I really don't think this is anything resembling a fact. This is still the Academy and there's a lot 'safer' choices they could go with. Even Beale Street is more likely to me.
I meant a lock for nomination.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So is First Man really not going to be a serious contender for Picture or Director? That was a good-rear end movie

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TrixRabbi posted:

Honestly, this year could be phenomenal except the money and Hollywood suckers keep elevating bullshit like Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody. Cut out the fat and you get a slate like Beale Street, BlacKkKlansman, Roma, The Favourite, and which could and should have included First Reformed, Zama, Support the Girls (which is getting so many critics awards but no institutional love), and Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Streaming on Hulu now, and I can't recommend it enough. My favorite ensemble cast this year, and it manages to be funny & empathetic yet unsentimental about the daily grind of wage slaves. I also have to give it props for having the characters drive the cars that completely suit them.

General Dog posted:

So is First Man really not going to be a serious contender for Picture or Director? That was a good-rear end movie
Tonally, it's really what I wanted out of a biopic about Neil Armstrong, but it doesn't really the kind of narrative hooks that let an audience in, so to speak.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TrixRabbi posted:

Mandy was never going to be nominated for anything at all.

I agree with the assessment that it could have gotten a Best Original Score nod, being Johansson's last completed score; he was a pretty loving renowned and loved composer who got Academy attention (but never a win, iirc) for a lot of his more mainstream scores.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Was Sorry to Bother You this year?

Cause that was a trip and a half. I know it'd have no chance but it should.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone explain the hype behind Eighth Grade? My girlfriend and I watched it, after seeing the hype, and we were profoundly disappointed, as the movie was awkward and cringey (which I can understand is part of the teenage experience, sure) with the only good scene being the fact that she was willing to stand up for herself from giving into that guy in the car.

Another movie that's probably getting overlooked is Searching with John Cho. That was actually a great one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some of you might’ve seen the thread for my Oscars voting thing... I got enough signups during the testing that I was able to get everything nice and finished. In fact I redid all the front end since the test version and added some new features, made it work on cellphones better etc.

Once the nominations are announced, I’ll get the data updated and everyone can vote and we’ll see how SA compares to the judges.

Hand Knit posted:

The foreign-language movie category is going to whip rear end this year. Even if Roma is going to win, Shoplifters, Cold War, and Capernaum are as good as most other years' winners.

‘Burning’ is really solid too, this might be the best category of the night if the right films go through.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 15, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's weird how Widows seems to have been forgotten. Before it came out, and then very briefly after it came out, there was a lot of talk about how it would be sure to get nominations Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress (for Davis), Best Supporting Actor (for Kaluuya) and Best Adapted Screenplay at least. Now it seems to have vanished from the conversation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's weird how Widows seems to have been forgotten. Before it came out, and then very briefly after it came out, there was a lot of talk about how it would be sure to get nominations Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress (for Davis), Best Supporting Actor (for Kaluuya) and Best Adapted Screenplay at least. Now it seems to have vanished from the conversation.

Maybe because of its perception as a box office failure?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Widows rips

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The Oscar nominations have been announced:

quote:

Best Picture

Black Panther
Kevin Feige, Producer

BlacKkKlansman
Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, Raymond Mansfield, Jordan Peele and Spike Lee, Producers

Bohemian Rhapsody
Graham King, Producer

The Favourite
Ceci Dempsey, Ed Guiney, Lee Magiday and Yorgos Lanthimos, Producers

Green Book
Jim Burke, Charles B. Wessler, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelonga, Producers

Roma
Gabriela Rodríguez and Alfonso Cuarón, Producers

A Star Is Born
Bill Gerber, Bradley Cooper and Lynette Howell Taylor, Producers

Vice
Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Adam McKay and Kevin Messick, Producers

Actress in a Leading Role

Yalitza Aparicio, Roma
Glenn Close, The Wife
Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born
Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Actor in a Leading Role

Christian Bale, Vice
Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born
Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate
Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

Directing

BlacKkKlansman, Spike Lee
Cold War, Pawel Pawlikowski
The Favourite, Yorgos Lanthimos
Roma, Alfonso Cuarón
Vice, Adam McKay

Actor in a Supporting Role

Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Sam Rockwell, Vice

Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams, Vice
Marina de Tavira, Roma
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone, The Favourite
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Adapted Screenplay

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Written by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
BlacKkKlansman, Written by Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee
Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Screenplay by Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty
If Beale Street Could Talk, Written for the screen by Barry Jenkins
A Star Is Born, Screenplay by Eric Roth and Bradley Cooper & Will Fetters

Original Screenplay

The Favourite, Written by Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara
First Reformed, Written by Paul Schrader
Green Book, Written by Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly
Roma, Written by Alfonso Cuarón
Vice, Written by Adam McKay

Cinematography

Cold War
The Favourite
Never Look Away
Roma
A Star Is Born

Production Design

Black Panther
The Favourite
First Man
Mary Poppins Returns
Roma

Costume Design

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
Black Panther
The Favourite
Mary Poppins Returns
Mary Queen Of Scots

Film Editing

BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Vice

Foreign Language Film

Capernaum
Cold War
Never Look Away
Roma
Shoplifters

Documentary Feature

Free Solo
Hale County
Minding the Gap
Of Fathers and Sons
RBG

Documentary Short Subject

Black Sheep
End Game
Lifeboat
A Night at the Garden
Period. End Of Sentence

Animated Feature Film

Incredibles 2
Isle Of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Animated Short Film

Animal Behavior
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

Live Action Short Film

Detainment
Fauve
Marguerite
Mother
Skin

Original Score

Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Isle Of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns

Original Song

All The Stars, Black Panther
I’ll Fight, RBG
The Place Where Lost Things Go, MPR
Shallow
When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings, Buster Scruggs

Visual Effects

Avengers: Infinity War
Christopher Robin
First Man
Ready Player One
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Makeup and Hairstyling

Border
Mary Queen of Scots
Vice

Sound Editing

Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
A Quiet Place
Roma

Sound Mixing

Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
Roma
A Star Is Born

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 22, 2019

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hi everyone. If you haven't already, see Hereditary. Toni Collette gives one of the best performances of the year. Regardless of what annual awards ceremonies try to tell you, it loving happened.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DC Murderverse posted:

The Oscar nominations have been announced:

So Roma could theoretically win both Best Picture and Best Foreign Film? Has that ever happened before?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

So Roma could theoretically win both Best Picture and Best Foreign Film? Has that ever happened before?

Michael Haneke's Amour.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm annoyed that Hereditary and Eighth Grade got nothing because I enjoy those two movies combined more than any of... those

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Too much Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Vice.

Just clogging up the nominations. Also going to be real sad when Richard Grant loses best supporting actor. He was far and away the best part of that movie.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

lol Black Panther
What will Disney push as somehow awards-worthy next year?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone elaborate why Buster Scruggs is considered an adapted screenplay? Is it because the titular story was a short film script they wrote before the rest of the film?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Shneak posted:

I'm annoyed that Hereditary and Eighth Grade got nothing because I enjoy those two movies combined more than any of... those

That’s the weirdest thing, this was in no way shape or form a bad year for movies, but this is the worst Oscars list in years. In a year with You Were Never Really Here, Three Identical Strangers, Sorry to Bother You, They Shall Not Grow Old, and Blindspotting, we get Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Mary Poppins Returns?

And that’s leaving out the poo poo the Academy would never reward, like Mandy and Suspiria.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 22, 2019

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Franchescanado posted:

Can anyone elaborate why Buster Scruggs is considered an adapted screenplay? Is it because the titular story was a short film script they wrote before the rest of the film?

Come on man, they show the book it was based on in the friggin movie!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a poo poo show as expected. I’ll add ‘Star is Born’ to the ‘too much’ pile, and back the lack of Toni Collette as a snub. At least it was expected, as was lack of Ethan Hawke. Best Foreign Film far more exciting than Best Picture as I thought, even if Burning didn’t get in which is a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Barry Jenkins and Steve McQueen both disrespected lmao

Although I'm very happy for Minding the Gap. Director is real young and talented.