Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

CHECK YOUR NOTIFICATIONS TAB BY PRESSING L2 TO GET YOUR FREE "SORRY WE hosed UP" GIFT!!!!

Mortal Kombat 11 is out now! You should get it, it's pretty good.

Who's in the game?

The launch roster has 25 kharacters. It's possible there may be secret unlockable kharacters, but for now we can't say for sure.
  • Scorpion
  • Raiden
  • Shao Kahn, who was the pre-order bonus. If you missed out on pre-ordering, you can buy him for 6 bucks.
  • Baraka
  • Sonya Blade
  • Skarlet
  • Sub Zero
  • Geras, a new kharacter; a servant of Kronika with time and sand based powers
  • Kano
  • Kabal
  • D'vorah
  • Jade
  • Johnny Cage
  • Cassie Cage
  • Jacqui Briggs
  • Erron Black
  • Kotal Kahn
  • Noob Saibot
  • Liu Kang
  • Kung Lao
  • Jax
  • Cetrion, a new kharacter; an Elder God of nature with elemental powers
  • Kollector, a new kharacter; Shao Kahn's tribute kollector from when he ruled Outworld
  • Kitana
  • Frost, who you will unlock by completing Chapter 4 of the Story Mode. If you can't wait that long, you can spend 6 bucks to unlock her.

The Kombat Pack will contain 6 DLC kharacters, four of which have been revealed
  • Shang Tsung, portrayed by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa from the original Mortal Kombat movie.
  • Nightwolf
  • Sindel
  • Spawn
  • Two more guests. From the sound of the chainsaw at the end of Shang Tsung's trailer, one is probably Ash from Evil Dead.

Diving through the games files has revealed some possible DLC characters, namely Sheeva, Fujin, The Joker, Terminator and Ash

What's the story
The story picks up right after the end Mortal Kombat X, with Raiden torturing Shinnok before beheading him. Raiden vows to take the fight to Earthrealm's enemies instead of being passive. After Raiden leaves the scene, Shinnok's still living head is approached by a new kharacter, whose name has been revealed as Kronika. She says that Raiden has wrecked all of her plans, and she is going to fix everything through time powers. Expect Raiden to be a furious dumbass all across the timestream.

What's with the Krypt, what's this I'm hearing about a terrible grind, etc. etc.

The Krypt is what Netherrealm, and Midway before them, use to unlock extra costumes, fatalities, concept art and other kollectibles. Starting in MKX they also began adding adventure game elements to make the Krypt more of an experience. There are also loads of jump scares.

There have been some changes to the Krypt in 11 that have been poorly received. Chests are now randomized, so you can't just look up the stuff you want to get online and skip everything you don't. It's down to the luck of the draw if you're going to get the one skin you actually want. This is compounded by the fact that there are many more cosmetics to unlock in this game than in previous titles. In Mortal Kombat X, most kharacters had two or three skins. In Mortal Kombat 11, each kharacter has 60 skins, or rather six skins with 10 different colors. They all must be unlocked individually. Kharacters also have 90 pieces of gear, which are sometimes unlocked together but often not. Only about half those are unlocked in the krypt, but it's still a huge amount of poo poo to wade through to get the few things you actually want. There's also concept art and gear augments and tower konsumables cluttering up the chests.

There are now three different currencies to unlock krypt chests. Coins are the most common, and are gained from all in game activities. Coins are used to unlock the majority of chests in the krypt, and are also used for the Shrine of the Gods (i.e., the slot machine) in the Krypt, and to unlock Kharacter Towers in the Towers of Time. Souls are also gained from just playing the game, but come at a much slower pace. To use souls, you need to find Ermac's Amulet in the Lower Pit area of the Krypt. Then, you can spend souls to get items from any of the green glowing objects in the Krypt.

Finally, there are hearts, which are earned as tower rewards and as rewards for performing Fatalities and Brutalities. There are chests scattered throughout the Krypt, often behind puzzles, with a bust of Shao Kahn's head on top of them that you can unlock for 250 hearts. Unlike the other chests in the game, these are not randomized. For a list of whose chest is where, check here.

The grind for all of this was further exacerbated by the launch state of the Towers of Time. The Towers of Time are MK11's version of Injustice 2's Multiverse. There are rotating sets of towers that give out the skins and gear that are not unlocked in the Krypt. Fights in these towers have modifiers, such as acid rain or homing missiles or other fighters coming into help. Unlike previous games, these modifiers almost always help your opponent. To counter this, you are expected to use the konsumables you get from the Krypt or from completing other towers. This makes nearly every fight feel incredibly unfair.

On launch, the balance of the Towers of Time was horrendous. Many fights felt impossible, with modifiers on very short cooldowns. The rewards from completing towers were also paltry. Most of the early criticism of the game focused on how unfun and grindy the Towers of Time and the Krypt were. Netherrealm scrambled to put out a patch to reduce the difficulty and drastically increase the amount of kurrency earned. That patch is out on most systems now, and along with it NRS gave out some free currency to try to make it up to players. You can grab that kurrency from your notifcations tab by pressing L2 on the main menu.

Some more Krypt FAQs

What should I spend my Skeleton Keys on?

Occasionally you will get a skeleton key from a chest. One of the chests right outside of the starting Krypt location is guaranteed to have one. These are used to unlock the circular gates that are scattered around the krypt. Some of these are more important to unlock than others. The first thing you should unlock with a skeleton key is in Goro's Dining Hall. Behind one of the Skeleton Key gates, you will see some swinging axes. You should unlock this gate, as there is a large chunk of the krypt locked behind it.

Once you have unlocked this area, called the Torture Halls on the map, you may want to use one more Skeleton Key here. There will be a gate in front of what appears to be a dead end, but if you put on your blindfold, you will see that there is a breakable wall there. Behind this wall, there is a statue of Reptile from the Mortal Kombat movie. This will cause Reptile to appear and shout at you. After this, Reptile will be stealthed at random areas around the Krypt. If you put on your blindfold and find him, and then hit him with your hammer, you will get a skin for Scorpion. Shao Kahn's 250 Heart chest is located in the same room as the Reptile statue.

Ghosts keep murdering me

The moment you put on your blindfold, swing your hammer. You should kill the ghost, and the first time you do this, you should get a skin for Sub Zero.

What do I get for fixing the bridge over The Pit?

Don't bother unless you're a Kabal fan. Kabal's 250 Heart chest is on the other side, locked behind a Skeleton Key gate.

How do I unlock these flaming chests?

Once you have Scorpion's Spear and the Heart of Blaze, you can unlock these. Wherever there is a flaming chest, there should be a flaming skull hovering somewhere nearby that you can destroy with the spear. That should make the chest unlockable. They cost 100 hearts to unlock. Sometimes they will be invisible unless you are wearing the blindfold. For instance, there is an invisible flaming skull hanging form the hand of the Sub Zero statue in the Warrior's Shrine.

What's up with the busts of all the kharacters and the spikes and the chests?

You can unlock these chests by performing 50 Fatalities on the kharacter in question. This may have been changed in a recent patch, to also count Brutalities and to reduce the number of -alities required, but that's still being tested. In addition to the stuff you get from the chest, after you impale 10 heads, you will start unlocking the doors to Shang Tsung's Throne Room.

And some non Krypt questions.

How do variations work in this game?
Rather than having set variations like MKX, variations can be kustomized now. Each kharacter has three slots with which they can equip new special moves or combo strings. Some of the kustomization options will take up two, or even all three of the slots. Note that while this system will be used for single player and casual online, for ranked and tournament play a different system will be in play. For those modes, each kharacter will have premade variations created by Netherrealm, similar to MKX. At launch each kharacter will have two preset ranked variations, but more will be added over the life of the game.

How does gear work?
Gear is back, but for the most part only as a customization option. Each kharacter has three slots for gear, which vary for each of them. Scorpion, for instance, can equip different masks, spears, and swords; while Baraka equips different headpieces, arm blades, and flags. In addition to gear, kharacters also have different skins they equip for more visual customization. Each piece of gear has augment slots, in which you can equip the various augments you can find from Towers of Time and from the Krypt. These only have an effect in single player activities.

What other system changes are there?
A bunch. Running is gone, movement is back to walking and dashing, though dashes are reportedly toned down from MK9. Meter also works differently; there are separate meters for offensive and defensive moves, and they regenerate over time, not from dealing or receiving damage. X-Rays are out, and appear to have been replaced with a Fatal Blow system. Fatal Blows can be used when you are below 30% health, and can only hit once per game (not per round). If you whiff or are blocked, you can eventually try to use them again, but there is a significant kooldown. Another new system is Krushing Blows, a system in which certain moves will deal more damage, and get a cinematic effect, if certain conditions are met. They also can only happen once per game.

HMS Beagle fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Official coverart for MK11, I have no idea why that's showing up small.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Here's a bigger version:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Bold choice of karakter for the kover

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Technowolf posted:

Here's a bigger version:

Mortal Kombat II is looking pretty good!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I am so excited for Raiden to ruin everything, without a sliver of irony.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Give us Christopher Lambert Raiden skin :argh:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I am so excited for Raiden to ruin everything, without a sliver of irony.

But wasn't that just MK 2011?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Technowolf posted:

But wasn't that just MK 2011?

Por que no los dos

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DC may or may not be working on an animated MK movie with Joel McHale as Johnny Cage: https://revengeofthefans.com/2019/0...l-kombat-movie/

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I've been playing MK since the original came out in arcades and I had to stand on a step stool to look at the screen. Can't wait to buy yet another Kollector's Edition, but I really loving hope they change the Krypt, I developed severe anxiety from the spider area jump scares.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I might pick this up since it's on the switch and surprisingly close.

When's the last time an MK title was also on a nintendo console? Armageddeon's wii port? :mrgw: :whitewater:

Also I'd rather have MKX's variations then Injustice's gear system, or at the very least an option to turn it off.

Unless we also get PS2 era fighting styles/weapons back, in that case :getin:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm hype its coming for Switch

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Some more info about the upcoming reveal:
https://twitter.com/MortalKombat/status/1083719275196698624

And a costume preview for Raiden:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
All these costumes look too busy which makes me think they are going with Injustice's 2 system.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Vakal posted:

All these costumes look too busy which makes me think they are going with Injustice's 2 system.

I think we've seen Shao Kahn in a few different outfits which were similarly busy, so we're definitely getting something like it. I liked the gear as a customization option, but tying special abilities to it, and having to get it from loot boxes, really sucked.

HMS Beagle fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 13, 2019

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

I think we've seen Shao Kahn in a few different outfits which were similar busy, so we're definitely getting something like it. I liked the gear as a customization option, but tying special abilities to it, and having to get it from loot boxes, really sucked.

Well get ready because NRS has a boner for this now thanks to Injustice 2.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Technowolf posted:

Some more info about the upcoming reveal:
https://twitter.com/MortalKombat/status/1083719275196698624

And a costume preview for Raiden:

All I can think of aside from the armour is "you're looking a little Shinnok, there, Raiden. Just a little."

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Bloodly posted:

All I can think of aside from the armour is "you're looking a little Shinnok, there, Raiden. Just a little."

That's the amulet I ripped out of Shinnok's chest 40 times.

Here's the Scorpion render to match the Shao Kahn and Raiden ones.

This is definitely the screen you equip gear on, isn't it?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope all the Kombat Kidz will return, they were great and surprisingly not annoying unlike every other FG attempt at bringing in a new generation of fighters.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Whats going on with scorpions mask mouth, it looks like arseface from preacher

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I didn't really mind the gear system because none of that poo poo mattered in ranked mode anyway

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I hope they have the gear system. I know they were very reined in on Injustice because characters had to look a certain way, in MK though, they can go hog wild with crazy outfits.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I didn't notice this before, but on Steam they list what you get in the Premium Edition, and it's

Steam posted:

The Mortal Kombat 11 Premium Edition includes:
• Main Game
• Kombat Pack

The Kombat Pack includes:
• 6 new DLC playable characters
• 1 week early access to DLC characters
• 7 Skins
• 7 sets of gear

So yeah, gear confirmed. Also 6 characters in the Kombat Pack, which is fewer than Injustice 2 had. I wonder if they'll have a second one down the line.

Also, it's looking like the Switch version might have been delayed. Retailers have pushed it's release back to May 10th.

HMS Beagle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 14, 2019

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Latest leak, courtesy of TYM

quote:

BASE ROSTER
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Raiden
Liu Kang
Kitana
Jade
Rain
Sonya Blade
Johnny Cage
Noob Saibot
Smoke
Cyrax
Sindel
Reptile
Goro
Shang Tsung
Kung Lao
Fujin
Bo' Rai Cho
Frost
Kenshi
Daegon
Kotal Kahn
Erron Black
Cassie Cage
Jacqui Briggs
Takeda
Kung Jin
Diederik
Reina
Geras
Kronika
Shao Kahn (Pre-Order Bonus)

Kombat Pack 1
Ermac
Li Mei
Nightwolf
Nimbus
Michael Myers
Pennywise

- Three celebrity voices in the game: Katee Sackhoff (Kronika), Kevin Conroy (Scorpion) and Ronda Rousey (Sonya Blade).

- Kronika is the main antagonist, boss and the Goddess of Time. She originally appeared in several endings in previous games. Raiden is the sub-boss of the game. Geras is at odds with Kronika, who wants to manipulate time to erase multiple timelines. Geras is attempting to thwart her plan by working with chosen warriors from different timelines. Reina is a new Outworld character and D'Vorah's replacement in Kotal Kahn's army. Diederik is a Black Dragon and Kano's offspring.

- Tag Team Mode returns. Works same as MK2011, both on and offline.

- Brutalities return same as in MKX.

- Hara-Kiri's replace Quitalities in online matches. Each character has a different animation of suicide. They are only available in online matches and cannot be used or inputted by a player as a form of finisher otherwise.

- Kombat Pack 1 will release character by character through the course of the summer. There will be a second pack of 6 more characters later in the year and into the following year. Kombat Pack 2's characters are not yet completely set in stone.

- X-Rays are no longer what they used to be. They are now used as animations mid-battle during certain specials to feel more fluid and cinematic. In their original place are Mortal Kombat's take on Injustice's Supers.

- New Time Towers are introduced. Work similarly to towers in Injustice 2. All timed and daily or weekly. Used to unlock rare moves and attires. There sre regular arcade towers still as well.

- Test Your Might and Test Your Luck returns.

- Attires and movesets are made in custom variation menus. They are unlocked through the new Krypt, Time Towers and reaching specific character or profile goals by levelling. They are not random drops through loot boxes. Levelling your profile and characters is done by winning matches, pulling off fatalities and other specific character feats.

- Story Mode is 15 chapters long. MK11 brings over the multiple character branching battle choices from Injustice 2. There are more than 12 cameos from other Mortal Kombat characters throughout Story Mode but no cameos you can fight against like in MKX.

- There are more than 15 arenas featured with about half of them returning klassics including the likes of Shang Tsung's Courtyard, The Pit, The Deadpool, The Lin Kuei Temple and Shao Kahn's Throne Room.

Sounds plausible enough.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I've seen that one before and I refuse to believe they will ever make Nimbus Terrefaux an actual thing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

*checks notes*

yeah it sounds fuckin sick here’s my money

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
ew bo rai cho

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Roster looks sick, happy hara kiri is back if that's true. Shame it's online only though lol

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
OP please fix the use of "characters" and not "kharacters" when mentioning DLC tia

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
whos not returning from the last game then?
mileena, dvorah, ferrah/tor, jax, shinnok, quan chi...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurtofan posted:

whos not returning from the last game then?
mileena, dvorah, ferrah/tor, jax, shinnok, quan chi...

Tremor and Tanya.

Wonder if they're going to add another queer character to the series, or reveal an existing character to be gay or bi. Kung Jin was a welcome addition and it was handled well.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I hope Pennywise talks about selling penis enlargement pills to Johnny Cage for his Netherrealm opening™

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I see Smoke on that list. If he still has his MK9 outfit I'm all in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm hype its coming for Switch

It is coming to Switch! I am cautious though, NetherRealm is bad about optimizing their games and in the past put an emphasis on quality and optimization exclusively on PlayStation and Xbox. To the point where people were wondering why they even bothered releasing their games on other systems. I would wait for the DigitalFoundry analyst to see what you're giving up by buying it on Switch.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Ermac as a DLC character instead of being in the base game sucks.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Tremor and Tanya.

Wonder if they're going to add another queer character to the series, or reveal an existing character to be gay or bi. Kung Jin was a welcome addition and it was handled well.

Tanya was the most generic fighter in the game so no loss there, but Tremor was cool so that is disappointing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

stryker or riot

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fatigued posted:

Ermac ... sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

The names Kronika and Geras, along with Ronda Rousey playing Sonya, were in another leak, which was supposedly an internal e-mail. That does look like a pretty good roster, though kicking Ermac to DLC does suck, and Daegon and Nightwolf (and loving Nimbus) seem like weird pulls. I'll miss D'vorah, she was my favorite of the newbies.

EDIT

I think this might have been one of the leaks Boon said was fake, but the original tweet's been deleted so I can't say for sure, and even then, it's Boon so who the gently caress knows.

HMS Beagle fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 14, 2019