Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope all the Kombat Kidz will return, they were great and surprisingly not annoying unlike every other FG attempt at bringing in a new generation of fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'll probably get this for PC because I tried Injustice 2 on PS4 and its very-not-good wifi connection drove me crazy. The MKX port had its problems but allegedly WB cleaned up their act for Injustice 2 on PC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Definitely sounds like an NRS game to me!

I kid, I kid, but only sorta, but I kid... long live Mortal Kombat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Erron Black's variations in MK11 will be called Troy Baker and Matt Mercer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

D'vorah was super popular competitively too so I'd hope she would return. I also require yet more Kombat Kidz to validate my own headcanon 'ships I've held for years.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Injustice 2 had too many effortless zoners in general and high-level matches got really boring to watch, hopefully they severely limit that kit in MK11.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I will not tolerate this swiftboating of Mokap. Mokap lives on in my heart.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

gently caress that, the time is now

story mode is Shaolin Monks 2

:pray:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

EorayMel posted:

rich mortal kombat lore. sure

Mortal Kombat has some of the most convoluted and ridiculously detailed lore in all of video games, if you can believe that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jamesman posted:

OK time for realtalk.

How much of this game is likely to be hosed up with WB's bullshit? Lootboxes to get gear? Microtransactions to buy Kombat Koins? Season passes that don't include all the DLC?

As hype am I am for this game I'm not forgetting who's putting it out.

You could buy the lootboxes in Injustice 2 but it was total overkill, I think everybody complained that you got too MUCH gear in that game. Season pass DLC appears to be the standard grift that everybody puts up with in fighting games these days.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think DC allows their characters to guest in MK games because they don't want to deal with the branding implications of the Green Lantern ripping out Kano's intestines through his anus.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's not a true fighting game unless it sells 50k copies in Japan and is dead in two weeks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

I am kind of disappointed they didn't show any of the MKX kids though. Surely at least some of them are coming back? I thought they were all pretty decent characters and didn't Kung Jin receive a lot of attention because of that line in the story mode?

Dripfeeding one or two characters every week leading up to release is the hot new way to keep up the hype for a fighting game. I hope all the Kombat Kidz come back though, they were cool and unique.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If they manage to top Cassie's selfie fatality in this one I'd be impressed. It's so good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh good they took out run, putting run/block on the same button in MKX was the most annoying thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

NRS took some time to do their own in-house PC port of Injustice 2 and that turned out pretty okay, I think?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

NRS should combine all the half-baked and failed character designs of the PS2 era games into one fighter, Trihard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Extensive Customization look. Some really in-depth poo poo here. If you didn't like how many options were in the last game this probably won't be a plus for you but I love this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPyYQPgJ4sI

Sonya looks way better here btw, especially with the other hairstyles and cool jackets.

I love all this poo poo. Looks like that supposed Cassie reveal was probably just a Sonya variation though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kenshi, Takeda and Cassie gotta be my favorites of the post-MK3 characters. New Skarlet looks incredible, too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Explanation of Crushing Blows in MK11. Oh I'm sorry, Krushing Blows! Seems incredibly similar to lethal hits from SC6 in that every character gets their own selection of moves that can KB once certain conditions are met, and they add special properties to the move such as increased damage or becoming comboable. I really liked how this worked in SC6 because it rewarded the player for using their moves in the way that they should, such as getting a lethal off a punish or when hitting from certain ranges. If NRS can carry that over into MK11 it should help guide new players toward effectively playing their characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ocVc2A3qcQ

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Both Tekken and SC6 have similar slo-mo effects to confirm lethal, and also to look cool. Probably other FGs too, it seems to be a pretty popular spectacle inclusion right now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Post-MK3 there were a whooooole lotta uninspired characters that never really caught on. Who from the PS2 era games has even survived into the current day, just Kenshi? I think it's hard in a nostalgic fighting game like MK to introduce new characters that everyone doesn't hate or who don't come at the expense of killing off a beloved favorite.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

The problem is "why bother trying to make this generic person interesting when we have Skarlet who already has a solid floor as a bloodlady" and also "gently caress if we don't put Baraka/Kabal in here again we'll never hear the end of it"

Right now the roster---based on a series of confirmed poo poo, video leaks, and menu pictures from the last few days--is probably looking like this so far:

Geras
Skarlet
Raiden
Kung Lao
Sub-Zero
Scorpion
Kronika
Kitana
Cassie
Sonya
Baraka
Lui Kang
Shang Tsung (his stage was seen on the select screen)
Smoke
Kano (seen on a menu item/in a stage)
Rain (menu picture)
Noob Saibot (pictured in a Tower)
Kabal
Johnny Cage (character model was on a Making Of video)

Johnny Cage was also mentioned in one of Geras' highlight intros so he's deffo in, same with Cassie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCtfV-ldrw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The novelty of the horror movie characters was fine but I also didn't like seeing them in every other competitive match, especially Alien. It's hard to pull guest characters from other IPs that have the same level of ultraviolence and goofiness as MK who also fit in well thematically.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Skarlet and her pixie cut are awesome, in fact out of the 7 characters shown in detail so far she's the coolest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

gently caress I cant imagine how brutal her poo poo will be this time

also it probably won't happen but I really want her old selfie Fatality to come back as is

Selfies are too dated, Cassie will now stick her fist up through the skull of her slain opponent and Face Time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In a climactic showdown that will determine the fate of all Earthrealm, Mortal Kombat 11 ends with a lengthy courtroom battle over Outworld zoning laws and procedural tournament regulations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Raiden Wins: Technicality.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Secret mode details....one might be a fabled HD remake of MK1, the other looks like the Krypt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5_SFs9FpVM

I watched a youtube of some behind the scenes footage featuring the actors from Mortal Kombat 1 and it’s totally insane how after a few takes they’ll just snap into the iconic pose you recognize from the games. If MK11 came with an HD remake of 1 and netplay I might just favor that (Sonya OP).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The main obstacle to characters appearing in Mortal Kombat is their creators' reticence toward showing them getting horribly maimed and dismembered, which certainly wouldn't be a problem for the Resident Evil cast.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Claire needs to keep her gravity-defying John Woo gun grab from Code Veronica.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the proliferation of dress-up options coming to MK11 makes bishie Smoke even more of a possibility.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The one thing I'm not sold on from that leaked list is it having both Jax + Jacqui since to my knowledge Jax is still hella dead and I don't think the two are so popular that you need more than one. Would have thought Cassie + Takeda are the more natural combo if you have to pick two Kombat Kidz to return.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I have probably watched that Jarek video at least once every two weeks for as long as it's been on youtube.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I preferred MKX's cleaner presentation. This is something that probably doesn't bother most people but it really bugs me when games use a dozen different gaudy font styles for everything, and MK9 is the worst offender of this in recent memory.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't believe MK11 replaced Dan Forden with Shaggy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

First they'd have to recover the other half of his cranium.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Your mouth says Kano. Your eyes say Kan-yes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Liu Kang also became a much more interesting character to play as once he turned heel. His variations in MKX are the most fun I’ve ever had playing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I like that kabal's fatality is pretty much a fatality for the flash

Yeah when you play Injustice 2 it's easy to see how some of the supers are like one step away from a previously scrapped MK fatality.