Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I just started messing around with some apps on my iPad, what synths can people recommend? I’m pretty new to synth stuff in general but would like to start dinking around. Animoog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

What kind of synths would you like? Do you want a crazy modular design thing like jasuto or mirack or just a collection of instruments like korg gadget? There’s also tracker based stuff like sunvox and west coast buchla inspired stuff like ripplemaker

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Animoog is definitely something you want to play with because it's pretty unique. It appears to be not getting maintained anymore though and it's prone to getting stuck in crash loops that require a delete and reinstall (I think it's MIDI related so if you don't use MIDI it might be fine).

bleass alpha is a well done synth with dozens of knobs and filters to play around with.

All the Korg stuff sounds fantastic but they're pretty spotty with auv3 support, they seem more inclined to lock people into their gadget ecosystem.

Sunrizer is a well regarded ios synth as well, it's been around for eons.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

TC-11 is a unique application that takes advantage of touch screens and can go as deep or as casual as you want

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

inferis posted:

What kind of synths would you like? Do you want a crazy modular design thing like jasuto or mirack or just a collection of instruments like korg gadget? There’s also tracker based stuff like sunvox and west coast buchla inspired stuff like ripplemaker

I suppose I’m getting more interested in nerding out on the modular type stuff but realistically I want to be able to poo poo out decent sounds I can throw into a sequencer. Maybe gadget is what I’m looking for.

I actually grabbed Drambo based on the posts in the last pag. I am finding it really nice, it sort of satisfies the modular sound design stuff on its own, and it has one of the more usable samplers I’ve found in the iOS software I’ve used.

I also realized I bought Animoog for iPhone forever ago and yea, not really what I’m looking for.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 10, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If modular is a requirement look at Model 15, Audulus, and miRack.

If you do any desktop work skip miRack as it's a fork of vcv rack, and is better on desktop.

Audulus is cool but maybe delay on it a bit, version 4 is in closed beta and should be a big update when it finally lands. I think it will be a new app purchase.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Has anyone used Flip for iphone? I haven't dived deep in yet, but it looked like a thoughtful layout with fairly robust tools.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've spent a number of hours playing with it, it's a really well designed app. My only complaints is editing on the piano roll sucks and a pattern is limited to four bars.

The sound design is a joy though, it suits a phone sized screen perfectly and there is a lot in there.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I want to easily create basic 8/16-bit retro game sounding songs. For sequencers I have Medley and Auxy Studio, are those my best bets? Medley was okay to make things in except that you need a subscription for decent sounds (I'd prefer one-off purchases if possible) and the variety of sounds for my purposes seemed like it might be a bit limited. Auxy Studio seems less limited but more confusing and I didn't like that it lacked Medley's ability to easily play the notes on the side without inserting anything.

I see someone just mentioned Flip, I looked on the app store and it has a sequencer that looks alright, would that be any better? By the description it sounds like it's maybe more oriented around creating/importing your own sounds, which I don't really care to. I'd rather just be able to buy "Retro game sounds pack #17" or whatever.

edit: this is on iPad not iPhone in case that matters

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001

Cicero posted:

I want to easily create basic 8/16-bit retro game sounding songs.

Look at Korg Gadget - specifically Kingston, Kamata, and Ebina.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey if anyone’s still out there, I have a question.

Is there any way to have my iPad Pro's audio input come from the USB-C port but the audio output go to the iPad speakers? Like with Audiobus or something?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

So TC-11 turns 11 years old today. Which I guess is geriatric in terms of synth app lifetimes. Does that make it a classic synth yet?

Anyway sales! Both TC-11 and TC-Data are $5 for the rest of the year 😁

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

JNCO BILOBA posted:

Has anyone used Flip for iphone? I haven't dived deep in yet, but it looked like a thoughtful layout with fairly robust tools.

I've been using it on iPad as a way to sell myself on spending a lot more on hardware samplers, and it's good.

Which brings me to a question I asked the synth thread but also want to repeat here:

I straight loving killed my Behringer UMC404HD interface, apparantly by connecting a 5v, 15a rated PSU to an input jack that says 5v, 1000 mAH. I did not think electricity worked that way, in that, I just grabbed whatever 5v USB-ish psu I had (which happened to be a fat one for a light strip) assuming that a 1a device is not going to pull more than 1a and... poof, little smoke cloud :raise:

I think I'm in the market for a new audio interface, and now that I'm using my ipad for more and more things (10", 2019) I would really like an interface that plays nice with an iPad and has at least 2 XLR ins. 4 might be nice but I've never actually needed more than 2, and I'd rather not spend a mint. I'd also rather not buy Behringer poo poo just because that was the list B thing in this room and I don't love them as a company. The main issue with the UMC4004 and iOS seemed to be that it just needed to pull way more power than you can pull easily from even a powered camera adapter kit, so, something that's either got its own PSU (preferable) or is lower power and definitely known to work with a camera lightning adapter without having to do any bullshit with a powered hub, would be ideal!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hey if anyone’s still out there, I have a question.

Is there any way to have my iPad Pro's audio input come from the USB-C port but the audio output go to the iPad speakers? Like with Audiobus or something?

When you say "come from the USB port", what are you envisioning connecting there? If it's a USB compliant audio device that works with iPad, then, yes, AUM will get you there:

This is non-pro, no USB-C port so I'm using a lightning adapter. In this case, the lightning camera connector is connected to power, and then the USB is going <-> ZED10FX mixer USB out.

This works fine with the caveat that if there's nothing connected to the headphone port on the iPad, for some reason all outputs BESIDES feeding back into the zend10FX USB vanish and it starts to feedback. So, I either keep a pair of MDR-V6s on it as monitor cans (sometimes one-earing them like a DEEJAY), or, if I don't need the monitor, just jam an unconnected patch cable in.\

Edit: dear god this thread is slow I just answered a question from 18 months and 2 posts ago.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Edit: dear god this thread is slow I just answered a question from 18 months and 2 posts ago.

allow me to help :v:

I have an old iPhone 8 I'm not using anymore, and I wanted to use it for recording audio-in. What's my cheapest option that isn't Voice Memos? I have a Behringer mixer and a Katana amp, the latter of which works as an audio interface - but I think that's PC only.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I'm having an insane amount of fun using an ipad to make noise

almost exclusively by testing patches with VSTs and then just using Gadget as a 4-channel-plus-drums modular/desktopsynth sequencer via Mutant Brain

letting gadget compositions play through gadget but also sending the audio through spectraphon and feeding spectra an inverted version of the main pitch CV is swole, too

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Gadget is a very neat app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Simone Poodoin posted:

Gadget is a very neat app

I'm at my parents' for a few days. Gadget is the most mobile part of my mobile setup! But also perversely incentivizes me to bring some kind of hardware MIDI chain to wiggle.

Being here three days means, of course, I need 3+ VCOs as well as a fitted hat and a snapback. Just how it works.