Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Couple of errant questions.

After you get armor, what's the best thing to spend gems on?

Which portals should I be opening with chaos shards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

After you get armor, what's the best thing to spend gems on?

Which portals should I be opening with chaos shards?

(1) Sunday diamond pack from the dungeon. Besides that, there are tons of gem sinks in the game now. Guild-based events let you progress a bit further into the Raid, the Invasion, or the Tower of Doom. Individual events like Faction events and Bounty events will let you get more sigils for better rewards. But, if you don’t have the troops to progress farther, the extra sigils will be useless—you’ll just beat your head against the same difficulty over and over. In that case, you can buy gem keys in packs of 50 with those gems.

(2) Whichever portals hold troops you don’t have. Worry about ascending later. First focus on getting all four troops from each faction. You will get treasure at equal chance from all factions, so that isn’t a worry.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Thanks for the advice! Which of the locations have the best overall troops? None of the legendaries really stand out, except Luna's third trait seems like it can be useful. If I'm reading her spell right though, it can debuff my own team? Or would the effects on my team be buffs only?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Ultimate Mango posted:

Maybe neither. Jewels are useless. Get in a guild and the keys will flow.

Buying the Sunday one is good. Diamonds are not useless.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Maugrim posted:

Buying the Sunday one is good. Diamonds are not useless.

True. I guess I don’t think of diamonds as jewels. Diamonds are good.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I was thinking we could add an early game deck to the OP that only requires completing a few kingdom quests and isn't at all reliant on card drops or materials that will take a while to collect. Here's my suggestion:

Banner - Khetar or Sword's Edge (just need to unlock kingdom)
Slot 1 - Titan class hero (complete Stormheim class quest)
+ Weapon - Sword of Heroes (rank 6 in Water Magic)
Slot 2 - Raven (complete Mist of Scales questline)
Slot 3 - Atlanta (complete Divinion Fields questline)
Slot 4 - Gemhammer (complete Dhrak-Zum questline)

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church

Ultimate Mango posted:

True. I guess I don’t think of diamonds as jewels. Diamonds are good.

I'm completely free to play, and the main reason for buying each daily offer is for the diamonds. Basically paying 50 gems for 20 diamonds each day, plus some other misc stuff. Not sure if this is a good way to use my gems, though.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I buy dungeon packs now and then, mostly on Sundays, but most of my gems (also completely f2p) go on building teams for the events like invasion. It's a nice way to build up my repertoire of levelled troops in the early midgame.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I notice on the app in the center bottom sometimes a number will show up in a bubble. What is that number supposed to represent?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

I was thinking we could add an early game deck to the OP that only requires completing a few kingdom quests and isn't at all reliant on card drops or materials that will take a while to collect. Here's my suggestion:

I really liked Elwyn and Sunweaver when I was starting but I also like generating mana. Sunweaver is a hell of an anchor though and has pulled me out of situations where I thought I was a goner. Elwyn got benched when I got Mountain Crusher, but before then doing solid damage and destroying a row and column are real good.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Piggy Smalls posted:

I notice on the app in the center bottom sometimes a number will show up in a bubble. What is that number supposed to represent?

During a battle? Traits and skills can start storms that make certain colors more likely to fall, and the number shows how many turns are left.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
If people don't claim their invasion rewards before the event ends, will they get them automatically?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Maugrim posted:

If people don't claim their invasion rewards before the event ends, will they get them automatically?

Yes, they should get mailed when it rolls over at 3am EST.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

I looked at the $4.99 Sunday diamond offer and backed out before buying. They offered $1.00 off, I don't know if that always happens but worth trying if you are a cheapskate like me.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It looks like Russad continued their trend of being active during Guild Wars and only showing up to collect seals during other days. Does anyone mind if I kick them and open a slot in Gem Boiz for another goon?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Grundulum posted:

It looks like Russad continued their trend of being active during Guild Wars and only showing up to collect seals during other days. Does anyone mind if I kick them and open a slot in Gem Boiz for another goon?

Second

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah boot him.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Done. Maugrim, you expressed an interest in switching guilds. If you leave Gem Blossums I will send you an invite. It’s the middle of the day where I am, so I will be monitoring this thread regularly.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I was really hoping for a solid purple doom weapon. You know, deal 30+ damage to the enemy team and transform all yellow gems to doom skulls? You know, the same template as the other three doom weapons?

Nope! Instead of a solid weapon that could really bolster purple guild war day, we get a DOOM WEAPON that grants a modest amount of life and mana. For 18 mana. What the gently caress?

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
Here we go again. Starting off with Thief+Rope Dart, Stormsinger, Sekhma, and Possessed King w/ unicorn banner. Probably go titan when I get two-shot. Here are some floors for Gem Boiz:

Floor 1
Rare - Armor
Ultra - Haste
Epic - Magic
Legendary - Unlock

Floor 2
Rare - Attack
Ultra - Life
Epic - Attack
Legendary - Unlock

Floor 3
Rare - Attack
Ultra - Power
Epic - Haste
Legendary - Unlock

Floor 4
Rare - Heroism
Ultra - Unlock
Epic - Attack
Legendary - Fireball

Floor 5
Rare - Haste
Ultra - Armor
Epic - Unlock
Legendary - LUCK

Enkor fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 28, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

waffles beyond waffles posted:

I was really hoping for a solid purple doom weapon. You know, deal 30+ damage to the enemy team and transform all yellow gems to doom skulls? You know, the same template as the other three doom weapons?

Nope! Instead of a solid weapon that could really bolster purple guild war day, we get a DOOM WEAPON that grants a modest amount of life and mana. For 18 mana. What the gently caress?

Makes me wish this event was giving more of the last weapon's scrolls. Thing's been carrying me through content that was impossible before.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Grundulum posted:

Done. Maugrim, you expressed an interest in switching guilds. If you leave Gem Blossums I will send you an invite. It’s the middle of the day where I am, so I will be monitoring this thread regularly.

Hit me up baby. SETH_OXMT

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Maugrim posted:

Hit me up baby. SETH_OXMT

Invite sent. Let me know when you’re in and I will dump my gold on the guild tasks; didn’t want you to miss the lootsplosion associated with Mondays.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Grundulum posted:

Invite sent. Let me know when you’re in and I will dump my gold on the guild tasks; didn’t want you to miss the lootsplosion associated with Mondays.

That's cool of you, thanks! I'm in now.

e: Hmm, I don't have a lot of levelled/traited purple troops. Trying to figure out what I can build around Queen Mab or Keeper of Souls...

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 28, 2019

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Remind me, is it better to clear all the rooms on each level or focus on clearing the most tower levels possible?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Personal recommendation: do every room until it stops being automatic. After that, do every room except armor and life. Once you start struggling, only do Heroism/Fireball/Luck/Unlock rooms.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks, I was going to ask the same question!

I'm puttering through the early floors with Titan/Crusher, Werewolf, Queen Mab and Boar Rider, which can chain extra turns fairly well with a bit of luck. But definitely wishing I had a few more good troops.

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014
One nice thing from this week's Tower event already. Bought up to the level of the weapon and pulled a Queen Mab as a bonus troop. One of my key missing legends, so well pleased with that.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Floor 6
Rare - Life
Ultra -Life
Epic -Unlock
Legendary - Armor

Floor 7
Rare - Life
Ultra - Unlock
Epic - Power
Legendary - Haste

What's the team talk?

I'm using -
Mountain Crusher - Titan
Infernus
The Possessed King
Elemaugrim
Abyssal Banner

I feel like I'm forcing TPK into the mix, but so far so good. Likely go to Mang or Earth's Fury for the higher floors.

porktree fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 28, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

porktree posted:

What's the team talk?

I'm using -
Mountain Crusher - Titan
Infernus
The Possessed King
Elemaugrim
Abyssal Banner

I feel like I'm forcing TPK into the mix, but so far so good. Likely go to Mang or Earth's Fury for the higher floors.

I'm doing:

Mountain Crusher - Titan
Glaycion
Infernus
The Possessed King
Slayer Banner (Br++ P+ Y-)

I have a lot of fun with blowing up 3 gems on 4-matches and mashing Infernus for the easy fights. If he sets up a chain for the enemy isn't really a big deal.

As they get harder, I think I'll probably want to swap out TPK for Sekhma or something else that does a convert/double convert to make my turns safer.

I freaking love Glaycion and will never abandon my Freezy Boy.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Gem Boiz Floor 8

Rare - Attack
Ultra - Unlock
Epic - Armor
Legendary - Armor

Fl 9
Rare - Power
Ultra - Armor
Epic - Unlock
Legendary - Life

onefish fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 29, 2019

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
Any room in one of the goon guilds?

navier-stoked fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 30, 2019

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I have been using a strange team of daemons and the sorcerer class. No real reason, except that I started with it to level up Sorcerer some, but it's pretty solid once it gets going.

Adana banner
Glacion
Infernal King
Doomed Crossbow (red) /Sorcerer
The Possessed King

I mostly wanted to let you know that if you transform a Valraven, that you still get the tokens. I was weary about using TPK's ability, but I shouldn't have been. In fact it's probably preferred to transform the Valraven so it can't run away!

I just crushed the floor 12 Legendary room with it, so its pretty viable. Rock Trolls are annoying, but so far I haven't lost a battle.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
Floor 10
Rare - Unlock
Ultra - Armor
Epic - Attack
Legendary - Attack

Floor 11
Rare - Armor
Ultra - Magic
Epic - LUCK
Legendary - Unlock

Floor 12
Rare - Unlock
Ultra - Power
Epic - Attack
Legendary - Life

Enkor fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 30, 2019

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Floor 13
Rare - Attack
Ultra - Power
Epic - Luck
Legendary - Unlock

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 30, 2019

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ReadingZucchini posted:

Any room in one of the goon guilds?

edit: invite code is freshry_yj24

There is no space in Gem Boiz, but I think there is a spot in Gem Blossums. Hopefully someone with invite powers will see your request and let you in. But if not, go to the official forums and get into a guild that way. The game is so much better as part of a guild, especially for new players.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
I am posting to be salty about my lack of TPK. That is all.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Night Danger Moose posted:

I am posting to be salty about my lack of TPK. That is all.

I'm currently on floor 10 and yet to lose a fight with no mythics at all. (Titan/Mountain Crusher, Werewolf, Queen Mab, Boar Rider)

Admittedly this is almost entirely due to the ever-increasing boons and OP-ness of Titan/MC.

e: Is it even possible to get mythics from opening chests? Or do you have to craft them all in the forge?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 30, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Maugrim posted:

I'm currently on floor 10 and yet to lose a fight with no mythics at all. (Titan/Mountain Crusher, Werewolf, Queen Mab, Boar Rider)

Admittedly this is almost entirely due to the ever-increasing boons and OP-ness of Titan/MC.

e: Is it even possible to get mythics from opening chests? Or do you have to craft them all in the forge?

You can get them in chests very rarely. Event chests giving one kingdom is the 'best' way to get a specific one, but you'd still need hundreds of keys to have a 50% chance of opening one. But if you do pull the mythic, it'll be the one you want since I don't think any kingdoms have more than one mythic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
The last 2 mythics I failed to get from guild chests, spent 17k seals between the two attempts. Picked them up with glory keys right afterwards though.