Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
What is considered the breakpoint for prudent use of orbs of wisdom?

I've got four orbs right now, an no mythic troop yet, and I'm considering spending one to get Cedric's third trait, but I'm not sure if I should save them. It's a bit hard for me to gauge at which rate I can expect to get orbs vs mythics with a good guild, since I've only been in the Goon Boiz for a week.

The second and third traits on legendaries/hero classes already look fairly expensive, but mythics are obviously a lot more so, and then there's some weird mono-color troops that seem super expensive, like the guild guardians and dooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Saxophone posted:

I've legitimately considered making Dawnbringer. I have almost no interest in Zul, but I see a lot of various comps that are easy mode that use it. I'm already at 300k souls, HOW HARD COULD IT BE.

I fought at least two Zuuls during the last PVP event, and I got my rear end beaten at least once.That's part of why I'm starting to look at forgeable stuff.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

What is considered the breakpoint for prudent use of orbs of wisdom?

I've got four orbs right now, an no mythic troop yet, and I'm considering spending one to get Cedric's third trait, but I'm not sure if I should save them. It's a bit hard for me to gauge at which rate I can expect to get orbs vs mythics with a good guild, since I've only been in the Goon Boiz for a week.

The second and third traits on legendaries/hero classes already look fairly expensive, but mythics are obviously a lot more so, and then there's some weird mono-color troops that seem super expensive, like the guild guardians and dooms.

Are you running a bronzelock pistol or a skeleton key team? If so, your damage output is directly related to the amount of gold you've collected in the round, and his third trait effectively let's you double the amount of gold (thus upping damage)

If you're using him in some other setup that doesn't require gold to do damage, you can probably skip.

But popping a lesser orb to get that trait isn't the worst use of an orb.

Once you get a good reliable team you can chain run difficulty 3-4 explores pretty easily to rack up some stones.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I've been one major orb of ascension away from zuul for about 6 months now. Just bad luck getting them. That's my last major crafting before I'm done and just have a few missing mythics.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Night Danger Moose posted:

I've been one major orb of ascension away from zuul for about 6 months now. Just bad luck getting them. That's my last major crafting before I'm done and just have a few missing mythics.

Vault Keys. That’s how I got my last major blue orb. What’s your stash looking like?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Saxophone posted:

But popping a lesser orb to get that trait isn't the worst use of an orb.

Once you get a good reliable team you can chain run difficulty 3-4 explores pretty easily to rack up some stones.

I wasn't really asking about Cedric in particular, but whether or not it's considered wasteful to unlock the 2nd/3rd traits on Legendaries and Hero Classes with orbs. Right now, it looks like I'm getting orbs much faster than I'm getting Mythics.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hannibal Rex posted:

I wasn't really asking about Cedric in particular, but whether or not it's considered wasteful to unlock the 2nd/3rd traits on Legendaries and Hero Classes with orbs. Right now, it looks like I'm getting orbs much faster than I'm getting Mythics.

Here's a thing I noticed (but not right away): the second traits are almost always more expensive than the third traits, in terms of arcane stones. So if you're going to use a one-trait orb, make sure you're getting maximum value for it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Grundulum posted:

Vault Keys. That’s how I got my last major blue orb. What’s your stash looking like?

Got 4 right now. Guess I could use 2 and see how it goes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Got 4 right now. Guess I could use 2 and see how it goes.

The odds aren’t good with only 2-4 keys spent. I think I had to spend 10 or so in my final sprint to Zuul’Goth. But you might get lucky! And if not, well, Boiz is still doing well at getting orbs from the guild events.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

prefect posted:

Here's a thing I noticed (but not right away): the second traits are almost always more expensive than the third traits, in terms of arcane stones. So if you're going to use a one-trait orb, make sure you're getting maximum value for it.

Yeah, this was my strategy too. Guild guardians and legendaries got most of the orbs I used.

But also like Saxophone was saying, if a trait is going to be very helpful/important, you can just spend an orb. It doesn't have to be optimal, you'll get more.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Welp, got my final ascension orb from rewards from the weekly guild event. Guess I'm out of stuff to craft now.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Quite a few team recommendation you can find online don't include the hero. Should I disregard those outright, or is there a good reason not to include them, ever?

Also, any recommendation for improving my Glaycion team, without any mythics or event weapons?

Right now it's

Glaycion
Mountain Crusher
Gimlet Stormbrew
Apothecary

It doesn't lose often, but when it does, it's usually because it took too long to get the cascade going, or when enemies are so high-level that they can take out Galycion very quickly.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Quite a few team recommendation you can find online don't include the hero. Should I disregard those outright, or is there a good reason not to include them, ever?

Also, any recommendation for improving my Glaycion team, without any mythics or event weapons?

Right now it's

Glaycion
Mountain Crusher
Gimlet Stormbrew
Apothecary

It doesn't lose often, but when it does, it's usually because it took too long to get the cascade going, or when enemies are so high-level that they can take out Galycion very quickly.

Yeah, you almost always want to use a hero, even if the team is a little worse because of it. And that's rare too.

My teams with Glaycion were always a bit slow too. Mana-blocking your mana-generating hero is probably contributing to getting stuck before things get rolling. Anyway, I don't have any really bright ideas, but here are two variants you could try:

Glaycion
Hero with a scary blue weapon
Alderfather
Grave Seer

Glaycion
Green Slime
Dervish hero with a blue or purple damaging weapon like: Rope Dart, Secrets of the Crypt, Doomed Hammer, Bronzelock Pistol, Death Knell, or something else.
Malcandessa

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
My brown GW team is Mountain Crusher (Titan), Glaycion, King Bloodhammer, Moira Cragheart. Outside GW I might substitute Jar of Eyes or Essence of Evil for a less blocking weapon, but the idea is nice and simple; once you get going most boards will have at least one way to hit 4+ skulls.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

:siren: Baphomet, you are at 0 activity for both the weekly guild event and the weekend raid. Please help us by contributing to next week's event so we can all benefit!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

:siren: Baphomet, you are at 0 activity for both the weekly guild event and the weekend raid. Please help us by contributing to next week's event so we can all benefit!

Sorry! I mainly play by phone but my phone's been dying with low battery life: playing it while charging drains the battery faster than it charges. I'll try to play on steam more to make up for it, but the past week's been rough. :negative:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Enkor posted:

My teams with Glaycion were always a bit slow too. Mana-blocking your mana-generating hero is probably contributing to getting stuck before things get rolling.

Thanks for the feedback. Mountain Crusher is mainly there as a board reset, if I can't keep the cascade going but there are a bunch of skulls left on the board. I'll experiment a bit once I have the troops you mentioned.

I'd be grateful for a quick refresher on Guild Wars, especially what makes for good defensive teams. I know you want to use different troops throughout the week, but can you repeatedly use your hero, with different weapons? Does it matter whether you switch classes or not? Defense looks like the one part of the game were you don't necessarily need to include your hero, right? Also, I assume the color of defensive troops doesn't matter at all?

Are there any specific (low rarity) counters for each color's meta I should know about?

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'd be grateful for a quick refresher on Guild Wars, especially what makes for good defensive teams. I know you want to use different troops throughout the week, but can you repeatedly use your hero, with different weapons? Does it matter whether you switch classes or not? Defense looks like the one part of the game were you don't necessarily need to include your hero, right? Also, I assume the color of defensive troops doesn't matter at all?

Are there any specific (low rarity) counters for each color's meta I should know about?

For attacking teams, the most important thing is winning. The second most important thing is how many troops match the day's color. You can even use multiples of a troop in the same team with no penalty. At your level, you may find that you have to use your very best team to win against players with double your stats.

For defending teams, you shouldn't reuse troops/weapons. 24 different ones across 6 teams is best. But color does not matter. This may look like taking 4-5 of your favorite defense teams and fudging with the last 1-2 because you've run out of webspinners and leprechauns and rope darts.

Counters are a doozy. They have to fit into a functional team, so it's complicated. Have to analyze how a team works to know where to jam it so it stops working. Denying a color of mana or making sure your team can target a particularly dangerous troop are typical approaches.

They're getting dated, but I used to make monthly posts about what I'd learned recently about guild wars teams, and it may give some ideas?

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Holy poo poo guild wars is kicking my rear end this week. Granted, I have not messed with my teams much in a year or so, but this is out of control.

Thanks for coming to my lovely TED talk. :sigh:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

bagina posted:

Holy poo poo guild wars is kicking my rear end this week. Granted, I have not messed with my teams much in a year or so, but this is out of control.

Thanks for coming to my lovely TED talk. :sigh:

Guild wars sucks. High level PVP sucks. Basically I win most of the time if I get a match four on my first turn. Which RNG changes means very rarely. Most of the time the opposing team gets a turn and loops me infinitely to death. Win on first turn or lose is not fun or good game design.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

That's good to hear. I'm getting creamed with the combo teams and I thought this was just the step up from Blossums to Boiz. It's been pretty lame this week, it seems like every loving team has King Gobtruffle and Beatrix and another converter and it's pretty dull.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Going by guild wars there are basically four of us hanging on in Blossums now.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I'm still around, just haven't had much time this week.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I kind of like the idea of having one low-intensity and one high-intensity guild that goons can alternate between.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I'm not playing much. Just logging in and donating my gold for the greater good.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Hannibal Rex posted:

I kind of like the idea of having one low-intensity and one high-intensity guild that goons can alternate between.

I second this. Boiz for the more tryhards, Blossums for the chill casual players. Its a good balance to match playstyles with people.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

:siren: RapnerSA, you are at 0 games in this week's guild wars. In Boiz we require at least 1 game per day, win or lose. Please help us out next week if you're able or let us know that you can't!

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I play in one of those lots of guilds in one guild type guilds, and a couple months moved to one that didn't require event participation, just gold or trophies per week.

I just hated the idea that if I lost a round of Guild Wars I could let everyone down. It's probably the only in-game event I actively hate.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Saxophone posted:

I play in one of those lots of guilds in one guild type guilds, and a couple months moved to one that didn't require event participation, just gold or trophies per week.

I just hated the idea that if I lost a round of Guild Wars I could let everyone down. It's probably the only in-game event I actively hate.

If it makes you feel any better, I think the best I've ever done in a day of Guild Wars is 2/5. I get stomped so hard by like level 1500+ guys, when I'm only level 700 something. But I've been told repeatedly here that a loss is still better than not playing, so I just run my souls farming team and don't worry about it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I think the best I've ever done in a day of Guild Wars is 2/5. I get stomped so hard by like level 1500+ guys, when I'm only level 700 something. But I've been told repeatedly here that a loss is still better than not playing, so I just run my souls farming team and don't worry about it.

It is!

I've got a doomed axe/the wild queen/miraji queen/the phantom king team that chews through just about anything. Even dumb gobtruffle teams fall half the time because of all the green and brown they generate fuels the wild queen if they miss a 4-match.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I hate guild wars and now most of pvp but I enjoy a lot of the rest. Guild wars can suck a dick.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Also, having three events running along side a long term event seems a little... poorly thought out?

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014

MrTundra posted:

New Boiz ToD google sheet now available here

Will start scouting later...

Resurrecting this post to let Boiz know I've added a new tab to the spreadsheet for this week's ToD. Link remains the same.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
There's a newly craftable weapon in the soul forge this week - Dagger of Zaejin. It removes green gems, does damage (double to zaejin troops), and can be upgraded to grant an extra turn. It's cheap and I can't recommend it enough.

Plus, Turnip!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Saxophone posted:

Boiz is 100% cool with losing guild wars. We just want participation, 1 game per day isn't asking much. Doing 0 matches a whole week, or 0 towers in an invasion, 0 boss damage, etc., makes it that much harder on everyone else who is trying. If a player reaps the rewards of the event then they should be contributing to it as well.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Boiz is 100% cool with losing guild wars. We just want participation, 1 game per day isn't asking much. Doing 0 matches a whole week, or 0 towers in an invasion, 0 boss damage, etc., makes it that much harder on everyone else who is trying. If a player reaps the rewards of the event then they should be contributing to it as well.

Oh, yeah 100%. Sorry I wasn't advocating against doing events, I just meant I, personally, don't like it because losing a match feels like I'm letting everyone down. I still usually do them.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Reminder that this week's Tower of Doom rooms can be found on our Google Docs spreadsheet here, and might not be posted in guild chat.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Saxophone posted:

Oh, yeah 100%. Sorry I wasn't advocating against doing events, I just meant I, personally, don't like it because losing a match feels like I'm letting everyone down. I still usually do them.

When I let everyone in the guild down it means I love them because I'm treating them just like my family!

I like guild wars but I still think they need to rethink the scoring, some of the things you are penalized for is dumb.
I don't like the new events where I pick a random fight from a selection of 3 or 4 and hope the next fight will be a mythic for a better score, there's probably some pattern to it but I haven't been able to tell.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Depends posted:

I don't like the new events where I pick a random fight from a selection of 3 or 4 and hope the next fight will be a mythic for a better score, there's probably some pattern to it but I haven't been able to tell.

There is a pattern, but it changes with each world event. There’s always an explanation in the official forums thread. I, or someone else, can copy it over here if it would be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014

Reminder that this week's Tower of Doom rooms can be found on our Google Docs spreadsheet here, and might not be posted in guild chat.

and for anyone who hasn't got that far yet, floor 11 is a good one.