Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So, I've been experimenting some more with budget soul farming teams, since I don't have Pharos-Ra. This might be helpful if we have other low level players around.

You basically always want your hero on the team; there are some older team builds around that don't include them, but I think they date back to an era where hero classes weren't yet a thing. For your hero, it boils down to two choices: either you use Phylactery, especially once it's upgraded, and bring another troop for damage, or you use an ensouled scythe to finish off the enemy team, which opens up a slot for a soul producing troop. I know the Dragon Soul technically does both, and I just got it today, but its damage is pretty low without other dragons, and I haven't been able to find a good team that includes it.

Then, you either want two necromancer troops, or a necromancer and a fast mana generator to start things off. I think Leprechaun is the best for this, but Firebomb could work too, and maybe others. For the necromancer, the best choices are Aziris or Acolyte, since they both provide extra mana, purple or brown. Most classes can bring something to the table, whether it's a 50% mana start, a storm, extra mana, Soul Caller, etc.

So here are my teams:

Phylactery
Sunbird
Aziris
Aziris or Leprechaun

Ensouled Scythe (the green one is cheap and works fine)
Dark Troll
Acolyte
Acolyte or Leprechaun

I actually prefer the second team with two Acolytes, especially with Titan, since he provides 50% mana both to himself and the troll. If you don't have that, using Leprechaun probably is smoother, but you want to have an appropriate starting storm from your hero class then.

If anyone has improvements to suggest, I'd be happy to hear them. I'm not entirely happy that Sunbird is half mana-blocked on the first team, but Rowanne has the same problem with blue mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I write all that, and then I simply try sticking the Dragon Soul in front of Phylactery, Aziris, Leprechaun. It definitely needs Leprechaun to kick things off, but it's faster than either of the other teams. Oh, well.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

It's not a great souls team, but I use:

Soul Blade (Hero class Assassin)
The Dragon Soul
Aziris
Umberwolf

The Soul blade is good for direct damage and gives +10 souls per use, and Assassin gives +1 soul every turn. Dragon Soul is self explanatory. Aziris gives +50% souls, and Umberwolf creates a darkstorm every turn, so that'll power the other two troops pretty well.

I'd run it more, but it feels underpowered compared to my Bard/yellow team (+1 to every stat on every troop every turn) that runs all true damage) and my Greed/Skeleton Key team. I just got so used to dealing 90+ damage to multiple enemies at once, that dealing 20 just feels wimpy to me.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 29, 2020

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I think if you're going to soul farm, it's all about D1 explore runs, with as few clicks on your abilities as you can manage. Assassin has both the Death and Shadow trees, so you can start with a darkstorm yourself in addition to having Soul Caller, and bring either a second necromancer or a Leprechaun instead of the Umberwolf. The Soul Blade seems like a trap choice to me, too much clicks for too little effect, and you pass your turn.

I've gone back to a double Aziris team, with the double red/purple banner instead of the double purple/red one, and that seems to have smoothed things out just enough to have a fast start even without Leprechaun.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
edit: I think I'm overlooking some bonus that isn't normal. :confused:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The new mythic seems pretty bad. Ishtara has a 50% chance of providing a bless, but dragons already have a better way of dealing with status effects. Divinia provides a full cleanse to the entire team as well as life and mana. Not sure when I would ever use Ishtara.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Night Danger Moose posted:

:siren: RapnerSA, you are at 0 games in this week's guild wars. In Boiz we require at least 1 game per day, win or lose. Please help us out next week if you're able or let us know that you can't!

Sorry! Will improve for next time, wife had a baby so have been flat out

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Rapner posted:

Sorry! Will improve for next time, wife had a baby so have been flat out

This is one of those extenuating circumstances we can work around, as long as people let us know. Congrats, by the way—hope mother and baby are healthy.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Speaking of which... unexpected influx of contract clients has swallowed my life whole. Trying to check in at least once a day, but until the wave recedes in a week or so, I might be a little... let’s say thin on activity.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Right. As promised, a brief discussion of how the scoring works in this week’s campaign, and how to increase the number of points scored. There are two ultra-rare battles available that award a roughly fixed number of points. Then there are an epic and a legendary battle that increase in points each time you do them. Finally, there is a pair of mythic battles that, again, are worth roughly a fixed number of points. You will see four battles chosen from the non-mythic list as your options most of the time; the board will be cleared after every four victories and you’ll get one of the two mythic battles at random.

So, to maximize your points, take the following steps. (1) Choose either the legendary or the epic battle. Any time the chose battle is available, take that instead of any other battle. (2) If the chosen battle isn’t available, but the other one is, take that instead of the ultra-rare battles. (3) I don’t think the ultra-rare battles scale points with difficulty, but if you want to play it safe do the same thing as with the epic/legendary battles: choose one of the two options and always take that over the other.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Is it better to do all of the lower ones to raise the level of all of them equally or just do one over and over until it changes to epic/mythic?
It seemed like when I just did one over and over it would temporarily raise then go back down in level at a certain point but if they were all raised they all constantly went up.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Depends posted:

Is it better to do all of the lower ones to raise the level of all of them equally or just do one over and over until it changes to epic/mythic?
It seemed like when I just did one over and over it would temporarily raise then go back down in level at a certain point but if they were all raised they all constantly went up.

I don't think it matters. Eventually, they're all going to be 100+ and you'll wish you had some lower levels still.

So I'm getting close to level 800 and have 741 troops. It seems exceptionally rare that I get new troops via chests of any type. My old strategy was to save up enough gems for 50 VIP chests but I'm not sure if that's wise or not at this stage. I like to drop a few hundred gems on the guild events anyway. I have thousands of glory and gold keys, a couple hundred each of gem and event. What should my strategy be for chests? I've been saving glory, gem, and event for the next mythic since that seems to be my weak point.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
This one progresses slightly different than the last few in that you do 4 and get a single mythic option but I'm still getting random roll backs in level for the others even though it does seem to be very slowly trending up as a whole.
The two sets of 4 battles I did, 3 of them had legendary options each time but the next only had 1. Is it the same for everyone or is the leaderboard is mostly just people who were lucky with the battle rarity draws?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Depends posted:

This one progresses slightly different than the last few in that you do 4 and get a single mythic option but I'm still getting random roll backs in level for the others even though it does seem to be very slowly trending up as a whole.
The two sets of 4 battles I did, 3 of them had legendary options each time but the next only had 1. Is it the same for everyone or is the leaderboard is mostly just people who were lucky with the battle rarity draws?

Yep, I've just been choosing whatever the highest rarity there is available.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The battles should not ever decrease in level, but when multiple battles are spawned at once they are spawned at their current level. So you might see

Mist Assassin, Lv 30
Scale Assassin, Lv 10
Kobra, Lv 40
Kobra, Lv 40

If you do one of the Kobra battles and it gets replaced by a Scale Assassin, that will pop in at Lv 10. If the replacement is another Kobra, it will be Lv 50. The other Kobra battle won’t have its level affected—it will still be Lv 40 if you do that battle. However, point rewards are scaled based on the last level you defeated, not the current level. So if you did the Lv 40 Kobra, you would get points as if you’d beaten the Lv 50 variant; if you did the Lv 50 after that, you would get Lv 60 points. (In this hypothetical, the next Kobra you see will spawn at Lv 70, since you’ve already gotten the points for a Lv 60 Kobra even though you never actually faced one in battle.)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I was lucky enough to get into Gem Boiz, but my work is murdering me and my morale--and I haven't gotten around to getting a new phone so it's just hard to play on my dying device at the moment when I'm not at my PC.

Was advised by fellow guildfolks to try and get into Gem Blossums, so that my occasional gameplaying would at least be beneficial. My invite code is COLT_8

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Could I get an invite to one of the goon guilds? Lost the old account info, so starting fresh. Kind of refreshing.

DEVOR27_FQSY

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Devor posted:

Could I get an invite to one of the goon guilds? Lost the old account info, so starting fresh. Kind of refreshing.

DEVOR27_FQSY

Invited to Boiz.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://gowdb.com/extras/timeline

This is neat, now I can level and upgrade my troops by release order.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I’m also just getting back into this and lost my old account info and looking for a guild invite. NIGHTGOAT_WSM6.

I miss my dragon cycle team already.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Been playing this and getting rolled in guild wars

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

PyPy posted:

Been playing this and getting rolled in guild wars

It is a grand tradition. Guild Wars is the one place in the game where there is a universal incentive to put up a brutal defense team.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
loving GODDAMN SPIDER TEAM gently caress OFF, GROW SOME BALLS AND FACE ME LIKE A MAN

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The only one of my defense teams that stopped even one attacker so far was Fire Bomb, Jar of Eyes, Sunbird, Lust.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002
Found that I was able to recover my lvl 259 4+ year inactive account... Have basically no memory of mechanics past the matching so reading up over the new couple days.
17,000 chests, 9800 gems and 62,000 souls so was probably on autopilot before quitting. Any best ways to use those?

keepersa_1 invite code if there's room in the casual guild while I relearn things and see if it keeps my interest.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be safe spending all but your event keys; for those, you want to wait until the event if the week is in a kingdom with a good mythic you don't have yet. Right now it's Darkstone, and the Possessed King is pretty much the best support unit in the game, so if you don't have him yet, spend your keys in batches to see if you can get him.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
You aren’t wrong, Hannibal Rex. keeper, go ahead and join a pubbie guild for now. Gem Boiz (the less casual guild) is full, and no sense missing out on guild benefits while you wait to hear from someone in Gem Blossums.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

RapnerSA, you have been removed from Boiz. I know you're dealing with the newest addition to the family, so hopefully Blossums will be a bit better suited to your needs.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
I’d like to swap from blossums to boiz if I can, there’s barely any blossum activity anymore only like four of us showed for guild wars this past week. :/

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Axe me from Boiz if you haven't already. Colt/Baphomet

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
How active is the Blossoms guild leader? Would it make sense for a Boi to join them with an alt account, if there's someone who has one, so they can help with inviting new players and kicking completely inactive ones?

Autarkeia
May 24, 2005
He's whittlin' on a piece of wood. I've got a feeling when he stops whittlin'... Somethin's gonna happen.
I'm one of the active ones in Blossoms. Still playing at the 2 month point. Going to switch out to any active guild this weekend. If Boiz has an opening I'll take it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I agree with whoever suggested that Gem Blossums should have an active account with invite/kicking privileges, even if that account is an alt belonging to a player with more time than I have. Can’t blame people for wanting to be in an active guild, but I think we have enough people still cycling through that Blossums could stay marginally active.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Right now blossums has zzz idle status on the majority of the roster, 13 people guild leader included. Only 8 people are not deep idle presently and only two hit more than 200 seals this week.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If the guild leader is “zzz”, that makes things easier to shift around. Infinity Plus Two is willing to work with guilds whose leader is inactive. I’ll ping the Gem Boiz guild chat and see if anyone has an alt account they’re willing to park in Blossums to take care of administrative stuff.

Autarkeia
May 24, 2005
He's whittlin' on a piece of wood. I've got a feeling when he stops whittlin'... Somethin's gonna happen.
Since I've been very active I'm going to jump out of Gem Blossums now. If Gem Boiz has a spot open I'll take it.

EIDO_QFT6

Otherwise I'll just start looking for an active guild Sunday night.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I just don't have time with Gem Blossums anymore. Time for me to step down. Would anyone like to be the new Guild Leader?

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
I recently decided to pick back up GoW on my Switch which I played semi seriously about a year ago. I really need to join a guild ASAP and I was wondering if there are any good active goon guilds out there for the Switch version. Any direction is appreciated, thanks!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Taking a break, just booted myself from Boiz so there's another slot open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Taking a break, just booted myself from Boiz so there's another slot open.

Thanks for booting yourself. See you around next time you get the itch. Treebah, I don’t know of any goon presence on the Switch.