Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wood is fine. I'm more looking forward to him touring Sebring though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IMSA Radio remains an option always for live events, and if you're outside of the US, IMSA's live stream of the race uses the Radio commentary team.

Which means Radio Le Mans, which should be a good thing.

Interested in what NBC is throwing at the 24, though, and it should at least be a drat sight better than FOX has been.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

IMSA Radio remains an option always for live events, and if you're outside of the US, IMSA's live stream of the race uses the Radio commentary team.

Which means Radio Le Mans, which should be a good thing.

Interested in what NBC is throwing at the 24, though, and it should at least be a drat sight better than FOX has been.

NBC is going to want to show NASCAR and IMSA that they won't gently caress up the race coverage like FOX. I fully expect them to gently caress the commentary up later in the year but for the first race of their new contract for sports coverage, they're going to be interested in not ruining it right out the gate.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 18, 2019

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Isn't 'dinger also driving in the race?

e: yes, in the 86 Acura

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Isn't 'dinger also driving in the race?

e: yes, in the 86 Acura

I mean, they used to get MotoGP racers to comment on races on a weekend when they were racing (or if they'd been bounced due to injury), so this doesn't seem weird to me?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I think the most shocking thing is that 20 hours of it is being shown on TV (and all the same channel too!)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

orange juche posted:

NBC is going to want to show NASCAR and IMSA that they won't gently caress up the race coverage like FOX. I fully expect them to gently caress the commentary up later in the year but for the first race of their new contract for sports coverage, they're going to be interested in not ruining it right out the gate.

I'm curious to who does the whole season beyond Diffey, Dinger, and Fish. I figure Brian Till will be a part of it. With those four alone, it should be decent to good; I still maintain FOX's Rolex broadcast team when it was Diffey/Fish/Dorsey Schroeder, with Till and Chris Neville in the pits, was the best racing combo I've ever heard. They just called the race.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Here's a preview of what NBC's IMSA coverage might look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTABZsFgFI

e- I know this is only for PC, but still, HOLY gently caress IT'S JO'N 'IND'AUGH!

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I'd say that's more of a taste of what IMSA Radio's call will be like. Cool of NBC of showing the PC race during The Roar which that's promising compared to what Fox gave us.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Here's a preview of what NBC's IMSA coverage might look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTABZsFgFI

e- I know this is only for PC, but still, HOLY gently caress IT'S JO'N 'IND'AUGH!

99% sure the Radio Le Mans crew will still be doing their IMSA Radio coverage this year.

• on radio at the track, on SiriusXM in the US/Canada, and online in all markets
  • paired with the broadcast to form the IMSA TV coverage available outside the US and Canada live

so that's what I'll be watching this coming weekend!

Meanwhile, a preview of Daytona:

https://twitter.com/jordan10taylor/status/1086016200105213952

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

harperdc posted:

99% sure the Radio Le Mans crew will still be doing their IMSA Radio coverage this year.

• on radio at the track, on SiriusXM in the US/Canada, and online in all markets
  • paired with the broadcast to form the IMSA TV coverage available outside the US and Canada live

so that's what I'll be watching this coming weekend!

Meanwhile, a preview of Daytona:

https://twitter.com/jordan10taylor/status/1086016200105213952

I am going to interview Rodney this weekend, so if people have burning questions, post them here.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

BMB5150 posted:

I'd say that's more of a taste of what IMSA Radio's call will be like. Cool of NBC of showing the PC race during The Roar which that's promising compared to what Fox gave us.

harperdc posted:

No, I know NBC's providing their own commentary. I wondered if they'd provide their own graphics or something different, though using the IMSA.tv graphics may have just been for PC.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there is a legit way to follow this year WEC season outside the united states?

also whats the difference between imsa and wec? i know they both race sport cars and prototypes but there isnt like a superseason or something? imsa and wec are two different league/championships?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DoctorGonzo posted:

also whats the difference between imsa and wec? i know they both race sport cars and prototypes but there isnt like a superseason or something? imsa and wec are two different league/championships?

WEC has a subscription streaming service you can buy through their site. Or you can get it through Eurosport Player I believe.

IMSA is a specifically North American series, the WEC Superseason is because they want Le Mans to be the series closing race, but doing that effectively requires them to have 1.5 seasons to get the schedule right which is what the Superseason is, just 1 and a half WEC seasons mashed together. They are 2 different championships, a decent comparison would be F1 and Indycar, both top level open wheel series' but 2 different championships.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I see. Thank you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

What Njsykora said, plus the other key difference is the top class. LMP1 from a factory perspective is required to be hybrids, and soon to be "super car style cars". Privateers can also build from the ground up a chassis and engine to compete in LMP1, but lose out on acceleration and thus tend to be slower in terms of lap times (their top end speeds tend to be higher).

In IMSA, the top class is Daytona Prototype International, which takes one of the four LMP2 chassis, modifies them to be more in line with a given maker's style, then puts an engine from that maker in the back and races it. It's much cheaper than an LMP1 car. However, there's not much LMP2 cars anymore because they basically said that LMP2 is going to be a second class from DPi, and slower.

IMSA also has a GT Le Mans class, like WEC's LMGTE Pro class (and sure enough, a lot of WEC teams do participate in IMSA for select races). There's no LMGTE Am class in IMSA, that's replaced by GT Daytona, which is really GT3.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 22, 2019

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the gt are the fords, aston and ferrari right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IMSA themselves have a really good beginnners video that explains the classes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxDkcOkpAs8

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

The spotter guide will probably be useful: http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/SG_19_DAY_ONLINE_V1.pdf

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

Yeah, GTE is Corvette, Ford GT, Porsche 911, Ferrari, Aston Martin, and BMW at the moment.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the fxkk or whatever is called is not racing equivalent or something? why the teams dont race that car? it looks cool

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

DoctorGonzo posted:

the fxkk or whatever is called is not racing equivalent or something? why the teams dont race that car? it looks cool

It does not conform to any rule set therefore there is nowhere to race it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

drgitlin posted:

It does not conform to any rule set therefore there is nowhere to race it.

I also don't think it's a car they sell in numbers and so have no reason to promote it through racing.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's also *way* too fast/too advanced to work in the GTE class.

In addition, it's got movable aerodynamic surfaces which is banned (outside of very specific instances, like DRS in F1/F2/F3/DTM), and a hybrid system which isn't seen/banned outside of LMP1, F1 or some limited goofy national-homologation stuff like SuperGT's GT300

e: Interestingly enough, for most GT cars (GT4, GT3, GTE) the street equivalents have significantly more engine power than their racing equivalents, with GT3 and GTE especially focusing way more heavily on aerodynamic downforce than straight-line speed. GT racing cars these days are built to a Balance of Performance formula, basically stating that you build a car to conform to our technical regulations (some more stringent than others) and fit within an expected performance window. If you meet that window, the series then balances the cars against each other based on their performance, by doing stuff like tweaking minimum weights, engine intake airflow or boost restrictions, minimum/maximum wing angles, minimum ride heights, and fuel tank capacity.

e2: Ferrari's GT racing car for GT3 and GTE is the 488 GTB. Somewhat uniquely for the class (though I think Aston now does it too), the 488 is built to be easily changeable from GT3 to GTE spec, with a few parts swaps, and a different engine map. They sell a kit to do it. The Aston is a little more involved, and involves aero parts swapped, and an engine swap, but it's an 8 hour job by experienced mechanics, to change the specification back and forth.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 22, 2019

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://jalopnik.com/monster-jam-is-going-to-war-with-mattel-1831623802

This is out of my wheelhouse so I'm not very familiar with this but TLDR: Monster Jam, the preeminent monster truck circuit in the US for some reason ended it's contract with Mattel to make monster truck toys, so Mattel literally just started up it's own Hot Wheels Monster Truck series so they can keep making toys. Lawsuits ensued.

:psyduck:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
That is amazing. Still though, monster trucks died with TNT motorsports :colbert:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sounds like Hot Wheels paid money for Bigfoot to come on in and made dollar store knockoffs of Monster Jam trucks, AND part of the show is being run by ex-Monster Jam people. They might have a case but I’m sure it gets settled.

But their wording and what they “expected” as worded in the suit is absolutely hilarious.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The only thing I can think of them having a case for is Mattel not honouring the deal to the expiry date but even then you're going up against loving Mattel over a relationship you decided to end. Good luck with that.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
More retro liveries

https://twitter.com/PorscheRaces/status/1088077951185444864

wait, are they still retro if they were in use up to 2013

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

brumos livery is awesome who cares
plus it's the 10 year anniversary of them winning the race

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Xisticide posted:

More retro liveries

https://twitter.com/PorscheRaces/status/1088077951185444864

wait, are they still retro if they were in use up to 2013

that just looks like a BMW :confused:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
How come nobody has talked about the plaid livery on the Pfaff Porsche in GTD that looks like my slippers

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

an oddly awful oud posted:

How come nobody has talked about the plaid livery on the Pfaff Porsche in GTD that looks like my slippers

GTD doesnt get much love, but that scheme fuckin rules. Some very perty cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMfwFesBU68

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

oh no https://jalopnik.com/john-travolta-and-shania-twain-are-in-a-movie-about-dir-1831992616

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
With Rally Monte Carlo starting today, I thought I’d make a bit of an effort post.

Rally is in a better position than its been for years. Rules have been liberalized giving the cars about 380hp and growing more crazy aero appendages every event. There are currently four major teams, Hyundai, Toyota, Citroen and M-Sport (privateers using Fords), and they have all won several events the past few years making it one of the most even fields ever in Rally.

Teams

Hyundai

Hyundai has steadily grown over the last 20 years to become one of the most resourceful and best teams, but it has never really come together for them to take a title. They never seem to have quite the fastest or most robust car, or the fastest drivers, but it has been achingly close for years.

Toyota

Toyota returned to rally in 2017. Originally the team was planned to be run by the same outfit that runs the LMP programme in Germany. Rally legend Tommi Makinen was given the job instead, and the team has been based out of his barn in Finland since. The confidence put in him paid off quickly with them winning in only their second event in Sweden. They have quickly become one of the most competitive teams, crowned by winning the manufacturers title in 2018. An eclectic stable of drivers and a fast but somewhat frail car makes this an exiting team to follow. It also seems to enjoy strong personal support by Toyota CEO and heir Akio Toyoda.

M-Sport

M-Sport is the chronically underfunded privateer running Fords. They used to be the Ford factory team until 2012, and languished in the following years. When VW pulled out of rally following the 2016 season, team boss Malcom Wilson reportedly mortgaged his house to secure their champion Sebastian Ogier. It immediately paid off and M-Sport secured the drivers title twice and the manufactures title once in the past two seasons. With their in-house prodigy Ott Tanak leaving for Toyota last year, and Ogier going to Citroen this year, I fear they will return to mediocracy, but I’d love to be proven wrong

Citroen

Citroen went from being one of the most dominant teams ever, to pretty poo poo since Loeb left. They put all their faith in Kris Meeke as their lead driver even when they had the chance to grab any of the VW drivers two years back, only to fire him mid-season last year. They were the only team not to win a rally last year. Now they have lured Ogier back, and will probably be a force to be reconed with from that alone

Select Drivers

Sebasitian Ogier Co driver: Julien Ingrassia Team: Citroen
Has won the past six drivers world championships. First with the dominant VW team, then with the underdog M-Sport team. He will move to the underdog Citroen team this year to try to further his legacy. Unquestionably the best driver of the current generation, but his driving style is quite lairy and fun to watch.

Thierry Neuville Co driver: Nicolas Gilsoul Team: Hyundai
The perennial runner up. He has finished second 5 times in the championship but never won. Although he is fast and seemingly much tidier than Ogier, he makes a few too many mistakes across a season to truly challenge him. Maybe this year will be it?

Ott Tanak Co driver: Martin Järveoja Team: Toyota
The M-Sport wonderchild moved to Toyota before the 2018 season, and immediately positioned himself as their #1 driver. His Toyota had one too many reliability issues in the early season last year for him to be in serious contention for the championship, but he was extremely fast after the summer break to drag himself back into contention. With the Toyota getting ever better, and Ogier having to adapt to a new team, this might just be his year.

Kris Meeke Co driver Sebastian Marshall Team: Toyota
Collin McRae’s spiritual successor. His win or crash altitude didn’t endear him to his previous employers Citroen, but he is hugely fun to watch. Toyota has taken him on for this season

Jari Matti Latvalla Co driver: Miikka Anttila Team: Toyota
The other perennial runner up. As Ogiers team mate at VW, he was always that little bit behind, and by his own admission it took a toll on him mentally. Now his new teammate Ott Tanak is upstaging him as well. He is the most experienced driver in the field, and still has the speed to win rallies though.

Andreas Mikkelsen Co driver: Anders Jaeger Team: Hyundai
Was without a job when VW folded two years ago but was taken in by Hyundai as a full-time driver. He had an awful last season with freak accidents and poor reliability. Nonetheless, he will have to improve to keep his drive.

Sebastien Loeb Co Driver: Daniel Elena Team: Hyundai
The other dominant Sebastian having a record 9 driver titles under his belt. He retired from full time rally in 2012 and has only attended select events since. Now that his rallycross team has folded, he might be a more frequent fixture. Still has the speed to win events.

How to watch

All stages are now streamed live on the WRC+ paid streaming service. Its pretty good if fairly low bitrate and quality, but the events take place in the middle of nowhere, so nut sure how much one can expect.
https://plus.wrc.com/en/?utm_source=wrc-com&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=livestages
There are live text updates and timing on the WRC webpage.
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/livetiming/page/4175----.html
The youtube channel has short summaries and highlights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WERua1duBTU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Humbug posted:

With Rally Monte Carlo starting today, I thought I’d make a bit of an effort post.

I will go drop this into the OP, if that's okay!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Addendum to the how to watch rally, Red Bull TV will be doing their daily recaps and also a live stage on each rally.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

harperdc posted:

I will go drop this into the OP, if that's okay!

Sure thing. My PC crashed before I could add driver photos, but now i cant be arsed

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

There’s 3 great racing movies that already exist in the form of Grand Prix, Steve McQueens Le Mans and Days of Thunder.

All they have to do is look to them for inspiration.

100% that didn’t happen.

Face/Off owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

There’s 3 great racing movies that already exist in the form of Grand Prix, Steve McQueens Le Mans and Days of Thunder.

one of these things is not like the other one

(one of these things is Top Gun with Dr. Jerry Punch inspiring the whole thing)