Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Currently shitposting from over the Atlantic on my way to Sebring. :getin:

Quite extremely excited for this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
CLS: puked so hard this morning I pulled a muscle on my stomach.

What's incredible is I haven't even made it to Sebring yet, I'm still in ft lauderdale and driving up later today. Last night was supposed to be gentle.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Guess who has two thumbs and didn't bring any waterproofs to this race...

Just did the grid walk and got soaked to the skin, now back and hiding in our RV. So pumped for this!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

iospace posted:

Got a stream?

They live stream everything on the website, although it's bizzarely hard to find: https://www.europeanlemansseries.com/en/live

Looks like the race is at 12:00 local time tomorrow.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Work has sent me on a last last minute trip to the circuit, so I'm currently poo poo posting at you all live from the eurotunnel.

I'm so loving pumped I wasn't planning to go this year at all. :toot:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
As I understand it, the organisers take a bunch of sets of each compound at the start of the season (so from Spa 2017 in this case), lock them away for months and then hand you back a number of sets at each round to use with the rest of your tyre allocation. You are required to use these "control" sets first, before any other sets of the same compound.

I think the intention is to try and prevent a tyre war escalating. However the rule is written in what I can only describe as an incredibly typical FIA manner, where it's simultaneously verbose, rambling and vague. A bit like this post.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just got home from the circuit, I am ruined and I just rocked up late on Friday. I can't imagine the state some people are in tonight, more than one person I chatted to today had a 10+ hour drive home.

Shumagorath posted:

I remember wondering how the gently caress that was even possible when it happened, and after a wheelspin penalty this year it astounds me that these cars have manual clutch engagement...? These cars are worth millions of dollars and should be all-electric up to 60km/h not the other way around.

Yeah the clutch control is manual, bur the only time you use the clutch in these cars is when starting or stopping.

The Toyota can start on electric power, and indeed does after every pit stop. I cannot remember the reason it tried to leave the pit lane under IC power instead in 2017, I feel like it was some sort of driver error but I am pretty sleep deprived at this point and my memory is poo poo.

harperdc posted:

Yep, this. The modification to the bodywork (see: cutting it apart and putting a hole into it) was not allowed.

Yyyyyyyyup. That and taping over the hole in parc ferme afterwards. If anyone really cares the stewards decisions are available:
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/Results_NoticeBoard/06_2017/03_Le%20Mans/38_Stewards%20Decision%20Nr%2058.pdf
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/Results_NoticeBoard/06_2017/03_Le%20Mans/39_Stewards%20Decision%20Nr%2059.pdf

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 17, 2019

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I'm 99% sure it has flappy paddles, so it sounds a bit like the thing money-shifted itself.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Powershift posted:

I'm loving the pit crews out there in t-shirts and shorts at catalunya

Yeah, they're remarkably chill about that stuff. If I remember right all the refuelling is done in a single bat at one end of the pitlane, so I guess the risk of fire is so much lower they can get away with it.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Marshall Pruett has said that the third Mazda was/is being looked into by Spirit of Daytona, possibly with mustang sampling backing coming from one of the drivers in the 5 AXR car

Kinda curious to see how the prettiest DPi wrapped in the worst DPi livery looks if this deal comes off.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there was like a weird three year period where rallycross was the future of motorsport because it was short and millennials like short things or something

I'm a millennial who works in motorsport, so should be the exact target market for RX, and I can't even bring myself to care.

The group B era seems neat, and I've watched some amateur level stuff that's been amazing, but modern RX just feels a bit clinical to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

drgitlin posted:

Last year it rained so hard and for so long you just had to stand outside for a few minutes.

For real, I was out on the pit lane walk and my watch filled up with water.

As others have said the shower situation is surprisingly good, but for the love of god take flip flops in with you because by Saturday the cleaners seem to have lost their battle with the mud, sand and detritus that gets tracked in.