Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

the gt are the fords, aston and ferrari right?

The spotter guide will probably be useful: http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/SG_19_DAY_ONLINE_V1.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

He's right though, Days of Thunder is way better than those other movies.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Cars are rolling to the grid at Daytona. Go buy beer and coffee now, this is gonna be a fun one. Gonna be lots of streams up it seems, including Magnus, Ford, Porsche etc.

I am a dipshit and made plans this afternoon so i'm gonna miss some :(

I might catch the start, not sure, but I'm gonna miss the vast majority of the beginning. Fuckin birthday parties.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy that we live in a world where Fernando and Kamui are buddies who win endurance races together

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I was considering that Mazda 3 hatch but then they waited ages to announce any details and won't have the cool engine available until the fall

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

Motorsport.com seem to have picked their side https://www.motorsport.com/endurance/news/bathurst-hero-intervention-fiery-crash/4331789/

And yes, dude is a hero. Given the circumstances, he likely saved the drivers life. The official crews reaction sounds like that of bumbling dumbfucks

That article is terrifying and enraging

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"we test the bottles, we don't test the hoses," like what the gently caress

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I've actually had a lot of problems with the MotoGP Videopass. Had to get a refund a couple times because streams wouldn't play. Trying to buy the race right now and it won't load.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

How are you guys watching this?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks folks. This is great

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

Formula W first race is on now. The grid is mixed talent, let's say. Jamie Chadwick made a lightning start and was already driving away, then overdrove the hairpin and is currently second

Anyone able to watch this in the US? The Twitter broadcast won't start for me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

I know there's a couple of Americans in it, but it's expecting a lot to have the US give a poo poo about a Euro-centric, open wheel development series

They explicitly stated that any regions without TV deals would be able to stream the races.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

https://racer.com/2019/05/04/pruett-a-global-future-for-dpi/

Hypercar looking dead or delayed, and DPi 2.0 looking strong. Seems like there is a lot of talk about DPi 2.0 taking over.

Pruett's line about the manufacturers not knowing what to expect with the hypercar regs is horseshit. The reason the proposals keep changing is because the manufacturers have the ACO by the nuts and can enforce any changes they want. For instance, they scrapped the hybrid rules because not every interested manufacturer has a hybrid hypercar.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The BBC has written some good poo poo about Kat Legge: https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/48328333

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If only I could think of an example of the potential downsides of a racing series focusing too heavily on hybrid powertrains

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

I think everyone wants it to be high-tech, road relevant, and cheap... and are struggling with the fact that you can only choose two of those at a time.

Plus there is always at least one OEM willing to ignore the cheap part

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Is the commentary team on the FIAWEC broadcast any good? I muted them for Radio Le Mans last year and synching wasn't too bad, but I didn't like having to piece together replays of crashes / etc.

I'm still pumped for this even if Toyota will probably run away with the overall win. GTE Pro never fails to be exciting.

Is it worth buying tickets to the 2020 or 2021 race? I want to see a race with the new specs but from the last page or so it sounds lime it'll be a mess with no factories.

Personally I think the WEC commentary is good. They're not as good as Radio Le Mans but that's a pretty high bar.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Just chiming in to agree that the ACO sucks, these rules are bad and they're not gonna accomplish any of their goals.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theris posted:

The Indy road course is good now better than it used to be. very convenient for me to attend and the race is the weekend before my birthday so I'm going to go and get hammered for eight hours

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm not gonna admit W Series worked until I at least see one of them in a good F2 team.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

You don't get to F2 because you displayed driving talent, you get to F2 because daddy owns 3 oil companies

Yes, which is exactly the kind of obstacle the W Series needs to overcome.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

That doesn't remotely tell the whole story. W series could still be a bad idea.

I hope we get more women racers either way.

Chadwick got $500k from winning the series and recently said that's only half of what she needs in order to get an F3 ride with a top team, so yeah, it's not quite achieved its goals yet. Makes you wonder what being a Williams academy driver gets you, though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren and Porsche are pushing for a unified LMP1/DPi platform: https://racer.com/2019/12/14/mclaren-porsche-seek-dpi-hypercar-convergence/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

Which channels are showing the race live?

Edit: Found it on Motor Trend

Is it actually on the Motortrend channel? I'm just seeing a random car show.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren wants merged DPi and Hypercar regs so they can run a Le Mans program at an IMSA price. They'd definitely run Daytona and the bigger IMSA races but they consider ICS to be their North American series, they're not gonna run it and IMSA both full time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Not sure where else to post this. Bob Varsha has cancer: https://racer.com/2020/01/06/veteran-race-commentator-varsha-battling-cancer/