Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orange juche posted:

Don't we have a SAS mod in here who can take care of this for us

She's at work, give her time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Frond posted:

I generally like throwback colours but the design doesn’t work here.

I think it works.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Well here it comes, we all knew it was gonna happen, BoP changes after the roar:

https://racer.com/2019/01/16/imsa-releases-rolex-bop-changes/

Wait... no changes?? That track record is falling yall.

Get the gently caress in :hellyeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wood is fine. I'm more looking forward to him touring Sebring though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

there is a legit way to follow this year WEC season outside the united states?

also whats the difference between imsa and wec? i know they both race sport cars and prototypes but there isnt like a superseason or something? imsa and wec are two different league/championships?

What Njsykora said, plus the other key difference is the top class. LMP1 from a factory perspective is required to be hybrids, and soon to be "super car style cars". Privateers can also build from the ground up a chassis and engine to compete in LMP1, but lose out on acceleration and thus tend to be slower in terms of lap times (their top end speeds tend to be higher).

In IMSA, the top class is Daytona Prototype International, which takes one of the four LMP2 chassis, modifies them to be more in line with a given maker's style, then puts an engine from that maker in the back and races it. It's much cheaper than an LMP1 car. However, there's not much LMP2 cars anymore because they basically said that LMP2 is going to be a second class from DPi, and slower.

IMSA also has a GT Le Mans class, like WEC's LMGTE Pro class (and sure enough, a lot of WEC teams do participate in IMSA for select races). There's no LMGTE Am class in IMSA, that's replaced by GT Daytona, which is really GT3.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 22, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

the gt are the fords, aston and ferrari right?

Yeah, GTE is Corvette, Ford GT, Porsche 911, Ferrari, Aston Martin, and BMW at the moment.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

loving Mazda

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

an oddly awful oud posted:

hello darkness my old friend

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What time is the green flag?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stream is up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD2MhysM8cw

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Frond posted:

That was a solid last 20.

Hell yeah

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Will Super Sebring be back next year?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orange juche posted:

Schedulewise yes. They've already confirmed the 2019-2020 schedule and Super Sebring is slated for "March", which means they will align with whatever IMSA puts out for the 12h.

As far as what is going to be racing? Who the gently caress knows, maybe they will do 8 hours of lawnmower racing.

Hell yeah, and this is a bad thing? Respectively

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:siren: A little birdy told me that ULA has a launch from Cape Canaveral today at 1856 US Eastern. Last check was 30% weather scrub chance so we should have a launch baring mechanical failures. :siren:

Payload is WGS-10, USAF Comm Sat.

Also it should be visible over the 1000 Miles of Sebring :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For the attendees, how have the crowds been compared to prior years?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

freeranger posted:

Just checking into the race after waking up. What have I missed? I'm assuming Mazdas exploded as usual?

Let's see, one blew up, is back on the track, and the other hit the wall but only lost a lap or two.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

net work error posted:

Todays VLN race was a good one. Also rainy and actually competitive to the last lap which is fun to watch.
There's some racing going on at VIR here in the ol' USA. GT4, TCR, and Blancpain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eCpBWRUK24

Geoblocked in the US :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orange juche posted:

The track loved it they made a shitload of money on it, but I'm not sure if all the fans loved it because the people who bought double header passes looked like loving zombies shuffling out after all that racing, I think it might have overloaded some people.

I wouldn't be surprised if a majority said it was worth it though

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Also ELMS at Monza

Got a stream?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

U N F

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Big Huski Boi posted:

If only I could think of an example of the potential downsides of a racing series focusing too heavily on hybrid powertrains

The problem with F1 is it's just pure power. When we had the Audi/Porsche/Toyota era, it was interesting to watch because Toyota was slower, but made up for it in fuel mileage, which has a bigger impact over a series that does exactly one stop a race.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

The ACO is so bad

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Make sure to mute the other streams and use this audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEFKpjB2Nck

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"We have the team radio, G-rated of course"
"you ok?"
"That was a hard one, gently caress"
"sorry about that!"

Someone forgot to censor the clip :allears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shumagorath posted:

How did ByKolles fail this year?

By being ByKolles

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does Maldonaldo ever not crash?

He survived Daytona, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shumagorath posted:

Did they get hosed over by a Porsche driver waving them out of the pit into traffic in 2017?

Yup.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

Was it a Porsche or a P2 driver? I honestly forget. But yeah, after the dumb luck of 1999 and then 2016, to have that happen the following year...:smithicide:

I don’t begrudge Toyota these two wins, because they’ve become the ones who stayed around. And even if they’re the only factory on the grid, they still have to go run 24 hours without breaking, or hitting a Ferrari, or getting hit by a Ferrari. 2017 was incredible because it seemed like all of the factory cars were going to drop out (and let’s not forget the Rebellion using a hammer to get the starter motor going every pit stop).

And then getting loving DQed for it because the ACO likes to follow the letter of the rules* rather than something 100% within the spirit of endurance racing.

*Unless it's a French team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Both are true for me. The team hosed up for sure, thats obvious. But the ACO hosed up in a rules enforcement system that sent fans home from the track with merch (like... if Riley had any merch for that one-off) from the wrong winner, which is a cardinal sin in racing for me. The data the ACO supplied was obviously coming in during the race, and the ACO even inspected the refueling rig during the race because they knew something was up. They should have been penalized during the race. Post race penalties that change finishing orders should be avoided at like any drat cost, especially ones that come down days after the race.

I mean they gave them that crappy penalty to replace the nose with an hour to go, god knows they aren't afraid to penalize.

Also think its odd that they have this big showy scrutineering before the race but apparently they aren't doing pump and fills like SCCA series used to do? The whole idea of minimum stop times is backassward to me.

It's more of a safety precaution I think, coupled with a form of BoP, than anything.

The fact that they don't check this pre-race is dumb though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shumagorath posted:

Is this run on the GP circuit or the Nordschleife?

The whole thing (so Nordschleife).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FOX TAIL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tuo posted:

They say they can fix it and send the Manta back out again before end of the race. If they actually achieve this, they achieve another level of legendary, imo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Manta :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Endurance racing always seems to deliver a lot of good races.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

an oddly awful oud posted:

Everyone watch Lime Rock at your earliest opportunity, it was one hell of a race

Also smart move on NBC's part to air it now because they knew the track wouldn't be ready in Iowa before the race finished.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Holy gently caress that was a hit

Yeah :stonk:

Also a great shot of it though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I admittedly love it when they manage to catch crashes live like this instead of switching to a shot of a car busted up and wondering what the gently caress happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

This race might have been won in like, hour 1 when the #20 got on a different pit strategy than everybody else.

And this is why racing has more depth than most people think.