Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

After debuting last year NXT UK has slowly and steadily been gathering steam with some top tier talent and a penchant for killer main events. Now it steps onto centre stage for its very first live event with NXT UK Takeover Blackpool and with the announcement of a new Performance Centre in the UK this is clearly just the start of the journey. Yes, the black and red brand is not to be slept on and if you've not checked the show out yet there is no better time to jump on board. You may not recognise the faces but you'll definitely recognise the talent as this card is stacked with great wrestlers. At the bare minimum, we're looking at a very good show here. Let's take a look at your new favourite stars.

Travis Banks vs. Jordan Devlin

Jordan Devlin is a small, very muscular Irish man with a scruffy beard who wears very tiny trunks. He's Finn Balor, that's what I'm getting at here. Well, not quite because Finn is a good country boy who smiles a lot and loves his mam whereas Jordan Devlin is a diiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. But just like Finn he can go in the ring and in fact the Irish Ace has been one of the standouts of the brand. Travis Banks is the Kiwi Buzzsaw and his things is... um... that he's got a really cool scarf? Ok, so he's not got a whole lot going for him character-wise but he's a drat good worker. These two are having issues cause Travis is a terrible son who deserted his family to go live on the other side of the world and he never even Facetimes them. I am not making this up. Still, I'm hype af for this and it's got sleeper potential to be the show stealer.

No DQ Match
Dave Mastiff vs. Eddie Dennis

Ok so remember what I said about how this show was going to be real great? Yeah, forget about that for this one. Dave Mastiff is a big bulky lad with an even bigger bushy beard and an incredibly red face. He's called 'The Bomber' and he's got that Kevin Owens thing where his agility for a big man is ridic but unlike Kevin Owens when opens his mouth for promos he sounds like a nice bloke who works down the farm and it kills the whole mystique. And then there's Eddie Dennis and oof, how do I talk about Eddie Dennis? He's billed as the brand's giant but everyone in NXT UK is really tiny so he's basically just Jack Black in Gulliver's Travels if he'd been wrung out and hung to dry all day but you need to take him seriously because he used to be A SCHOOL HEADTEACHER which is as heel as it gets. Look, this lad's all over the place, I'm not gonna lie.

As you might expect from being the two big monster guys Mastiff and Dennis both built up undefeated streaks out the gates which lasted until they met each other and Mastiff pretty much snapped Dennis like the twig that he is. You might have thought that this would be the end of it but since then Dennis has gone looking for a fight in a string of interviews and do you have any idea how hard it is to take a promo seriously when it's said in a Welsh accent? In the end the tension got so much that NXT UK GM and all round hard nut Johnny Saint set up this match. So it's here, it exists and that's about as much as I can say about it. I dunno, maybe Eddie Dennis has a secret history of timebomb death matches in Japan that I've never heard about. Life can always surprise you!

NXT UK Tag Team Title Match
Moustache Mountain vs. Grizzled Young Veterans

It's the final match in this tag team 'tournament' to decide the first ever NXT UK Tag Team chamions! On one side you have Moustache Mountain made up of Tyler Bate and Trent Severn. They're two big strong bois with an emotional bond and a shared love of facial hair. You've probably seen them on NXT and they've even got a bit of previous as NXT Tag Team champions. They got here with a win over two thirds of Gallus (but more on them later). On the other side is Grizzled Young Veterans who made it to the final after beating the flashy flipman of Mark Andrews and Flash Morgan Webster. The Vets are made up of Zack Gibson, a man who claims to be Liverpool's #1 and who is hated that entire crowds spontaneously take their shoes off at him in rage, and James Drake, who's most notable feature is that he wears a picture on his face on his arse. There's not a huge amount of build here but they're all great wrestlers and top brass are super high on Gibson so it's not gonna be the walkover you might think it is.

NXT UK Women's Title Match
Toni Storm vs. Rhea Ripley

NXT UK's women's division has a got a lot of future prospects but only a couple of established workers so luckily they're facing off against each other here. We first saw both Toni and Rhea in the 2017 Mae Young Classic where Rhea put herself on the map as a name to watch out for while Toni was most remembered for wearing a tiny hat. One year later they both came back for a second crack at the prize except over the last year Rhea had transformed into the Mosh Pit Kid, a moody and snarly teenager who is like, real mad at the system man and is definitely not going to be home before curfew. She made it all the way to the semis only to fall short to new NXT sensation, Io Shirai. Meanwhile Toni had managed to free herself from the brain slug and used that freedom to take the whole drat tournament, doing what Rhea couldn't by putting Io away in the final.

Fast forward another month (in reality backwards about six) and NXT UK kicked off in need of some female stars so Johnny Saint set up a tournament to crown the first Women's champion featuring his two biggest stars and the first six women he stumbled across backstage. Unsurprisingly Toni and Rhea made it through the bracket to the final where they put on one hell of a show. In the end Toni came close but picked up an injury which gave Rhea the chance to claim the title in the victory that was so shocking even Rhea was surprised, it was kinda adorable. Rhea defended the title well but as soon as Toni heard about Takeover Blackpool she went all 'gizza title shot' to Johnny Saint in her best Charlotte impression and so here we are for round two and based on history it's going to be rad as hell.

WWE UK Title Match
Pete Dunne vs. Joe Coffey

Pete Dunne is the most dominant champion in the modern era with a title reign now stretching over 600 days and counting. (Just ignore that the UK brand wasn't even a thing for 75% of that). During that time he's taken on names like Tyler Bate, Johnny Gargano, Zack Gibson, Mark Andrews and Ricochet and beaten them all and now that he's away from THAT RAT BASTARD RODERICK STRONG he can well and truly flourish. Over the course of his title reign he's beaten everyone that matters so now he gets to face a name that doesn't! Joe Coffey is the Iron King and leader of Gallus, a trio of angry Scotsmen who are each doing a one-third impression of Drew McIntyre yet still aren't as good as him when you put them all together. Right from the start Gallus have taken issue with British Strong Style and it's all been very fine. It's been absolutely adequate. At least until they get in the ring at which point everything goes loving nuts so even though Coffey is a pretty blah personality this match should still rock. It's got Pete Dunne in it. It's got Pete Dunne in it! There's not much else that needs to be said, really.

If you're going to be checking this one out remember that we're running on UK time here (I finally don't have to stay up through the night for this, hurray!) so join the fun starting from 6:30pm GMT/1:30pm EST as we find out whether Trips spunked up the money to fly Pat McAfee over the pre-show or did they settle for his off-brand UK version, Wayne Rooney!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
There's a wild rumour about a match change going around. If I can confirm it I'll post in the Spoilers thread. The show had a flat build but I think tonight should give the brand some actual buzz.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

In Blackpool to see the boys

I won't lie, its loving grim here

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

rovert posted:

There's a wild rumour about a match change going around. If I can confirm it I'll post in the Spoilers thread. The show had a flat build but I think tonight should give the brand some actual buzz.

They’re replacing Eddie Dennis with Nick Gage?

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
WWE hired the best that British wrestling has to offer (except Will Ospreay, or ZSJ, or PAC) and Dave Mastiff vs Eddie Dennis is among the five best matches they can book?

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

I won't lie, I barely follow NXT UK but I did check out the women tournament (mostly because of Rhea's strong showing in MYC2) and I'll be here for the Mosh Pit Kid. Zero expectations for the rest of the card really (I mean Dunne & Mustache Mountain rock), so I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I do expect a constant barrage of topless Finn Balor pics from our #1 scoopsgal tho.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Look at that picture, Gibson's so good, he has A BETTER MUSTACHE than Mustache bloody Mountain. Shameful.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

J-Ro posted:

I do expect a constant barrage of topless Finn Balor pics from our #1 scoopsgal tho.

Wrestlers do not exist to be objectified regardless of gender :colbert:

Finn is a living thirst trap tho

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Rarity posted:

Wrestlers do not exist to be objectified regardless of gender :colbert:

drat it, I'm the problematic one now. :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/af9lyq/nxt_uk_takeover_set_up_looking_lovely/ posted:

Looks quite nice.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All I want for my birthday is some good rasslin' I can joyfully post about with my pals! Well that's not strictly true but I sure would like it a bunch! :)

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

SamuraiFoochs posted:

All I want for my birthday is some good rasslin' I can joyfully post about with my pals! Well that's not strictly true but I sure would like it a bunch! :)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I don't know why this is so funny but it is.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This pre-show is very low-rent. At least they made the effort to get Vic and Nigel over there I guess

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
fitting for the UK then

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So I guess Devlin is going to be fighting a debuting WALTER huh?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

rovert posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Radzi is a goober in a throwback sort of way and I'm pretty sure I like it but I'm not positive.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

rovert posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Banks is medically cleared!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Radzi is a goober in a throwback sort of way and I'm pretty sure I like it but I'm not positive.

I love Radzi for that exact reason

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Eddie Dennis looked like the biggest jobber I'd ever seen in the couple NXT UK episodes I watched so I'm surprised to see him on the PPV.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

I love Radzi for that exact reason

He's like, I dunno, Todd Pettingill or something, except British and not white. It's kinda wonderful.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I wasn't feeling this feud much but that video package got me hype as hell

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haven't really watched any NXT UK but still pumped for this, because TakeOver's always rule

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

When Wild Boar and Primate aren't on the screen people should be asking where are Wild Boar and Primate?!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

He's like, I dunno, Todd Pettingill or something, except British and not white. It's kinda wonderful.

He’s like a young Lord Alfred Hayes to me. Fairly proper but in a goofy way.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Feeling proper proud to be British right now :britain:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sportsgenius86 posted:

He’s like a young Lord Alfred Hayes to me. Fairly proper but in a goofy way.

Radzi is a good boy that means well

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Big fan of English Joel McHale ring announcer

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The crowd is so hype :3:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

£5 says the Progress Wembley show is better than this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gorn Myson posted:

£5 says the Progress Wembley show is better than this.

How wonderful that there will be two great shows then! :)

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Rude to make that poor old fella hold up heavy titles.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Crowd is hot.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

J-Ro posted:

Crowd is hot.

Understatement of the year, holy poo poo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

J-Ro posted:

Crowd is hot.

British crowds are always really great but god drat

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Why do these freaks have their shoes off? Goddamn brits.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What is it about Gibson that is SO HATEABLE?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Our wrestlers may lack personality, but by god, our crowds know how to make some noise :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You'd better all have ripped a shoe off right now :mad: