Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You died. How?
Ion Cannon
Crushed to death by rubble
Listened to one-to-many briefings from Sheppard
Consumed by Commander Rapter
View Results

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Regarding the indoor missions like Allies 013, something I don't think was mentioned was that if you're really having trouble keeping your infantry alive, the rarely-seen Formation command can occasionally come in handy to keep them in a line when moving down a hallway for example.

Normally they like to bundle up in 5-man groups like this which can lead to a situation where half the group isn't in range of enemies ahead and you take some unnecessary damage or casualties:

In a formation they're more likely to stay in line, so to speak, which can help keep more guns ready for any surprise enemies ahead and maybe migitate the effect of grenades:

It's not 100% reliable or anything but hey, it's something to try if you're struggling.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Palladium posted:

I had a Bradygames guide for FF8, it was full of inaccuracies and suboptimal strategies which I didn't noticed until I discovered Gamefaqs.
Was that the one that didn't tell you anything about the final boss? My FF8 guide did that.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also having just started the final mission I noticed something interesting: I don't know if this is the case on Normal, but at least on Hard the infantryman who runs in to shoot the barrels at the start of the level is so fast that (as far as I can tell) it's literally impossible to kill him before he blows them up and ends your mission instantly. Even putting game speed on lowest the best I could manage was a mutual kill.

The only way to avoid failure 3 seconds into the mission is to immediately dodge to the south. Dunno if Easy is the only difficulty which lets you kill him or if Hard is the only one which makes it impossible to do so, but it's kind of a jerk move nonetheless.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kanfy posted:

Also having just started the final mission I noticed something interesting: I don't know if this is the case on Normal, but at least on Hard the infantryman who runs in to shoot the barrels at the start of the level is so fast that (as far as I can tell) it's literally impossible to kill him before he blows them up and ends your mission instantly. Even putting game speed on lowest the best I could manage was a mutual kill.

The only way to avoid failure 3 seconds into the mission is to immediately dodge to the south. Dunno if Easy is the only difficulty which lets you kill him or if Hard is the only one which makes it impossible to do so, but it's kind of a jerk move nonetheless.

You can definitely kill the soldier on Normal, but its pretty close, yeah.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I never actually realized the actual game speed is also affected by difficulty, I jumped right into the campaign so until you mentioned the game being slower on Easy I just figured RA was by default faster than TD was and I'd simply forgotten about it. But yeah, just like how on Easy the default speed is I guess one notch slower than on Normal, on Hard it's one notch faster.

Not that it really matters since you can "cheat" and adjust the game speed whenever you like, I guess.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kanfy posted:

I never actually realized the actual game speed is also affected by difficulty, I jumped right into the campaign so until you mentioned the game being slower on Easy I just figured RA was by default faster than TD was and I'd simply forgotten about it. But yeah, just like how on Easy the default speed is I guess one notch slower than on Normal, on Hard it's one notch faster.

Not that it really matters since you can "cheat" and adjust the game speed whenever you like, I guess.

The game speed is an additional speed ON TOP of the difficulty! :eng101:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet Mission 01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAyH1dfJw-s
Soviet Mission 01

Near Torun, as per the briefing.

Objective: Kill everyone in the village.

Briefing: A pitiful excuse for resistance has blockaded itself in this village. Stalin has decided to make an example of them. Kill them all and destroy their homes. You will have Yak aircraft to use in teaching these rebels a lesson.

Author's note: A nice introductory level for the Soviet campaign, showing off their airpower and the ability to drop paratroopers, and the volatility of Grenadiers.

Name: Joseph Stalin
Aliases: Unknown
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Gene Dynarski

Name: Gradenko
Voiced/Played by: Alan Terry

Name: Unknown
Voiced/Played by: Andrea Robinson

GRENADIER
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: Grenade
The Grenadier has a longer range and more destructive power than regular infantry. In groups, Grenadiers are effective against heavily armored units and structures.

Author's Note: Oh... the Grenadier has a longer range alright! Kind of funny that the manual doesn't mention how volatile they are.

YAK
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: Twin machine-guns
Sometimes called the “Infantry Eraser,” the Yak fires in strafing runs, swooping down on groups of marching infantry, potentially destroying them all in a single run. The Yak is not that fast, making it an easy target for Allied Rocket Soldiers – those that actually survive the first strafing run.

Author's Note: The basic aircraft for the Soviets, they suffer from issues regarding targeting in this engine, meaning that, when possible, its better to target something in the middle of a group to maximize effect.

BADGER BOMBER
RANGE: N/A
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: Dropped bombs &
paratroopers
The Badger Bomber is the transport plane used for dropping Paratroopers and Parachute Bombs onto a designated target. It is somewhat slow, and its lack of armor can make it a snack for any enemy AA-guns that may be guarding the target.

Author's Note: A unit that can never be built or selected by the player. They do, however, paradrop Soviet units into combat.

AIRFIELD
ARMOR: Heavy
PURPOSE: Builds & reloads airplanes
The Airfield allows construction of MIG and Yak planes, and allows access to Paratroopers, Parachute bombs, and Spy Planes. Only one plane is allowed per Airfield that has been constructed. If an in-use Airfield is destroyed while its associated plane is still in the air, the plane will crash.

Author's Note: A solid building that should ALWAYS be built if possible. We won't see some of these functions for a little bit, but they vastly increase the amount of harassment a player can do with them.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Aw yiss, no game ever gave me that "We are the baddies" feel as the soviet campaign.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Something that they seemed to struggle with in TD and RA is that when you are making the "bad" faction bad they ended up giving them a lot of personality, thus more enjoyable to watch. On the other hand with the "good" faction they end up being significantly short-changed because they have to be seen as the role models and unequivocally good. Thus, we end up having Stavros always being stunned and shocked by stuff, as opposed to with the Soviets we already have the 2 people under Stalin bickering at each other.

Thankfully, they figured this out and the next games there will be more parity of personality between the factions

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The difference in tone compared to the Allied campaign's beginning is hilariously stark, there it was like "HELL YEAH BLOWING UP THE BAD GUYS WITH OUR BADASS COMMANDO LADY AND SUPER SHIPS AND RESCUING ALBERT loving EINSTEIN", here we open with a recounting of how many seconds it took for what is presumably nerve gas to terminate children and our first job is to eradicate a Polish village to the last woman and child. Really making it clear from the start that we are now 100% in the villain camp and here to do some real terrible poo poo, none of that "potentially sympathetic baddies" nonsense here.

But yeah, as RA is the first game in the series I played, this for me is the C&C campaign and the one I'll always remember the clearest. I love Stalin in particular, which I can assure you is not a phrase I'd use in any other context, and the first FMV already does a very good job at establishing his and his underlings' personalities and the dynamic between them. The accents are horrendously bad of course, but you could argue that's just part of the charm.

As a side note, Westwood getting Polish geography wrong is almost like a running gag at this point. In Tiberian Dawn you had the small hamlet of Białystok which at the time of the game's release was a city of almost 300,000 people and this time you have the mountain village of Toruń which is actually a riverside city surrounded by plains.

E:

Also I always found it weird how when you first start up the game it automatically starts the Soviet campaign, and yet in the manual the detailed tutorial on how to play the game is based on the Allies campaign instead.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 9, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Gradenko gives me a very Seth vibe in the sense that I'm 100% sure he will not survive till the end of the campaign, and it's even odds on whether Stalin's intelligence lady kills him, or whether you get ordered to do it yourself.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the intro mission for the soviets is massacreing an entire polish village. of course. of course.
how painfully soviet

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I love the mountains of northern Poland there in the level ending cutscene

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

As a final note about the Allied campaign, having now beaten it I'm extremely jealous of your 1 hour run of the final mission with 358 soviet casualties. Maybe it's the difficulty difference but I felt like the soviet attacks were so relentless that I could never get an assault army going. Blood flowed like water in the Volga river and the scars of the earth will remain for generations to come.

War is hell

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 9, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kanfy posted:

As a final note about the Allied campaign, having now beaten it I'm extremely jealous of your 1 hour run of the final mission with 358 soviet casualties. Maybe it's the difficulty difference but I felt like the soviet attacks were so relentless that I could never get an assault army going. Blood flowed like water in the Volga river and the scars of the earth will remain for generations to come.

War is hell

Lmao, nice.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Also I always found it weird how when you first start up the game it automatically starts the Soviet campaign, and yet in the manual the detailed tutorial on how to play the game is based on the Allies campaign instead.

This depends on which CD you have in the drive when you start the game first time. Of course that only works with the original release which came on two CD-ROM, one Allies disc and one Soviet disc. For the TFD and download versions everyone uses these days, for whatever reason the Soviet data files take precedence.

Each disc contains the FMV for that campaign, as well as a selection of the music. The base game files required to play either side are installed, but afaik. even in multiplayer, the available music depends on which CD you have in the drive.
And yes, it was a valid (and probably intended) mechanic that you could play multiplayer with a single copy of the game, one player with each of the included discs.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also I'm pretty sure the AI's nukes just plain aren't tied to the silos at least in that mission, I destroyed that silo relatively early on and guess when I got nuked? At the very end after I'd destroyed every soviet building and only a couple of stragglers were left to be cleaned up.

And what else would they nuke except my tech center which... subsequently returned the fog of war to the entire map, hiding those remaining stragglers. Turns out the Allies had gotten so reliant on their satellite to see things that they immediately threw away all maps and intel and I guess purged the very idea of remembering what places looked like from their minds. "Incredible!", to quote one Albert Einstein.

nielsm posted:

This depends on which CD you have in the drive when you start the game first time. Of course that only works with the original release which came on two CD-ROM, one Allies disc and one Soviet disc.

Each disc contains the FMV for that campaign, as well as a selection of the music. The base game files required to play either side are installed, but afaik. even in multiplayer, the available music depends on which CD you have in the drive.
And yes, it was a valid (and probably intended) mechanic that you could play multiplayer with a single copy of the game, one player with each of the included discs.

Ah yeah, that'd explain it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh I'm sorry Kanfy, if you didn't want to see men dying in their thousands on the show than you shouldn't have invaded Russia.

Goddamn that's a mini-Stalingrad you got there.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kanfy posted:

War is hell

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lmao, nice.

:thunk:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

nielsm posted:

Tiberian Dawn's manual and the DOS version's on-disc readme file explicitly point this out, the old readme even suggesting it be used at LAN parties to help people who don't own copies of the game(!), and saying that Westwood felt that "if we treat our fans right, they will treat us right".

Oh Westwood. We need a crying mammoth tank icon.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
stalin is an alias goddamnit

That being said, this mission is Soviet to the extreme and not just in the sense of gameplay.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Did he even identify as Djogeshwilly or whatever past the 1920's?
Eventually a moniker becomes a proper name.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

If I ever become a psychiatrist, I'll use this digitally restored and colored aerial photo taken during the siege of Moscow in the war of [Present Day] as a personality test to see whether the patient recoils in abject horror due to the sheer brutality of the scene taking place, or if they instead say something along the lines of "lmao nice I bet that sounded reeeeal satisfying".

(sorry I'll stop trying to hijack the LP now)

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 9, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kanfy posted:

If I ever become a psychiatrist, I'll use this digitally restored and colored aerial photo taken during the siege of Moscow in the war of [Present Day] as a personality test to see whether the patient recoils in abject horror due to the sheer brutality of the scene taking place, or if they instead say something along the lines of "lmao nice I bet that sounded reeeeal satisfying".

(sorry I'll stop trying to hijack the LP now)
Squish squish squish! :haw:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Loxbourne posted:

Tiberian Dawn's manual and the DOS version's on-disc readme file explicitly point this out, the old readme even suggesting it be used at LAN parties to help people who don't own copies of the game(!), and saying that Westwood felt that "if we treat our fans right, they will treat us right".

Oh Westwood. We need a crying mammoth tank icon.
From the official FAQ:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.6 Do I need to buy two copies of the game to play on two computers?

We have designed the game so that you won't need to buy two separate
copies of the game in order to play with a friend. You can give away
one of your CDs so that you can both play over the modem. In order to
play the normal game, you'll need both CDs.

The reason we're doing it this way is so that you can enjoy the
multiplayer aspect of C&C more easily. Although we could have
designed it so that two copies of the game must be purchased in
order to use multiplayer, we are hoping that if we treat our fans
right, then they will in turn treat us right.

They really don't make 'em like they used to. :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

stalin is an alias goddamnit

That being said, this mission is Soviet to the extreme and not just in the sense of gameplay.

Maybe in this timeline his name IS Stalin :colbert:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I cannot wait for you to start RA 2 tbqh

God drat did I feel like an rear end in a top hat playing the Soviet campaign in this.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Gradenko massacred his pronunciation of 'guerrilla' like a small Polish village

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crazy Achmed posted:

From the official FAQ:

It’s also great to point out that this was one of the last games of the era before CD keys became prominent.

For a long time there were “is it possible to burn copies of RA” on Usenet posts that had replies like “sure it will combust”

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh wow, I was looking up Stalin's actor to see what else he was in (because that guy does a hell of a Stalin in this game) and he was the power plant supervisor in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Who knew

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh, now for the Soviet campaign. I beat this one long before I could finish the Allied side, mainly due to always getting stuck on the Dark Horsemen levels, so I know these missions pretty well. So yeah, right from the get go it is pretty obvious that you are playing the bad guy side. Just casually talking about nerve gas and its' effects on a village like it is no big deal, yikes. Anyway, this briefing right away shows the temperament of the various Soviet commanders, which is nice, and already you can get an idea of what they are like. Oh, and as a nice touch, on the map, the crosshair is on London, while in the Allied campaign it was on Moscow, such a neat little world building thing there.

Now, as for the mission, it is a great way to introduce the Soviet side. It is pretty much impossible to lose, as your Yaks are safe on the other side of the destroyed bridge and there is no unit that can shoot them down, so you could slowly win with them alone if needed. Honestly, there is not too much to talk about with this mission, kill a few enemy infantry and Rangers, blow up a few buildings and then win. Neat seeing the Grenadier trick in action though, didn't know about it until years after I had played through the game. But wow, had forgotten how dark the ending cutscene is though, really removes any and all doubt about the Soviet side huh?

Anyway, a solid intro to the campaign.

Crazy Achmed posted:

From the official FAQ:

Westwood was too good for this world.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

By popular demand posted:

Aw yiss, no game ever gave me that "We are the baddies" feel as the soviet campaign.

Unlike the allies campaign where the op also destroyed villages and killed the civilians? In the last mission he burned and looted a church.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Why? 'Spawn copies' weren't exactly new at the time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

Why? 'Spawn copies' weren't exactly new at the time.
I always thought Westwood had started it. Anyway, probably the best implementation of this system was Starcraft - it specifically offered a tiny installation for multiplayer purposes only so you could have a LAN party with only one CD.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

UED Special Ops posted:

Westwood was too good for this world.
Seeing the Westwood logo pop up during startup with that iconic chronosphere sound will always be bittersweet for me.

It may be a fool's hope, but I'm hoping they keep the Westwood logo in the remaster for old times sake.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I like to imagine that the Commander is always silent because he's some idiot savant who's amazing at warfare and has the social skills of a box turtle.

:ussr: "Dr. Profkiev always had no control over his mouth and now that he is of no further use to us... I selected you personally to handle the assassination, do not fail me."

:downs:"Da! Kharasho!"

*Later*
:golgo: "I did good!"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay about Allies 10, capture the missile control and deactivate the missiles, the "ouside" part is named SCG10EA.INI and the "inside" part is named SCG10EB.INI, so both are considered part of mission 10 by the game, not as mission 10 and 11 chained. (You can see the mission filename in the Options menu, right above the Briefing button, together with the game version.)

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
The commander stays quiet in order to reduce the amount of evidence for the eventual war crimes tribunal.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

What tribunal? Either Stalin likes the cut of your jib or :gibs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like how Stalin casually strolls out of the room and declares his intention to boink the woman.