Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You died. How?
Ion Cannon
Crushed to death by rubble
Listened to one-to-many briefings from Sheppard
Consumed by Commander Rapter
View Results

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviets Mission 03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz-Doo-1uTM
Soviets Mission 03

Despite gains on the ground in the war, the Allies have managed to destroy at least one chemical facility belonging to the Soviets. Additionally, Einstein has managed to escape from captivity.

Somewhere in or between Copengagen and/or Malmo.

Objective: Chase down and eliminate the Allied spy.

Briefing: An Allied spy has bypassed our security, damaged our base, and is now seeking to escape. Use your attack dogs to track him down and exterminate him. The civilians are aiding the spy and will have set traps for your men. If the spy escapes you, your life is forfeit.

Author's note: I like how even the briefing carries a threat to the player, really helps in building that Stalin ain't loving around, so do your job properly or else!

Name: Joseph Stalin
Aliases: Unknown
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Gene Dynarski

Leader of the Soviet Union, he has grand plans for the conquest of Europe and does not like to be let down by his commanders.

Name: Gradenko
Voiced/Played by: Alan Terry

Manages the production and management of Stalin's lethal gas weapons.

Name: Unknown
Voiced/Played by: Andrea Robinson

Projects a perfectionist attitude and seemingly holds a grudge against Gradenko.

Affiliation: Soviet(?)
Voiced/Played by: Unknown

Advisor to Joseph Stalin, apparently. Everyone appears uncomfortable when he is in the room.

N/A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Okay, I'm guessing Gradenko will be dead or have defected by mission 6, that's my call.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Why it's pro wrestler Justin Credible. What he's doing aiding the Soviets we may never know

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I'm always glad to see my favorite character pop up again, the technology center/prison. As for ending the mission early, you may getting it mixed up with something else.

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 13, 2019

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay, I'm guessing Gradenko will be dead or have defected by mission 6, that's my call.

Nonsense, this Stalin guy seems like the quickly forgiving sort. I mean didn't you see the way he went from shouting angrily to laughing jollily in the span of about 30 seconds, the man is clearly capable of handling setbacks in good humor.

Not much to the level itself, though I guess I'd add that you can blow up the buildings as you go for some full heal crates and more "Allied buildings destroyed" in the score screen.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

DeathChicken posted:

Why it's pro wrestler Justin Credible. What he's doing aiding the Soviets we may never know

It's the dude who slit that one soviet soldier's throat in that one cutscene, who didn't give him a light! What a traitor!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Gradenko. What a screw up.

Luckily we have Good Boys(Girls) to fix his mistakes :kimchi:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, Gradenko will have a lifespan in minutes. Which is unfair, especially since I don't think the Allies finding out about the nerve gas was entirely his fault...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the way you do it is pretty much the intro to speedrunning this mission, since the programmers designed it for you to go on a wild goose chase but you can sequence break.

Then there's the glitchy way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MCLjlb91g

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Aces High posted:

the way you do it is pretty much the intro to speedrunning this mission, since the programmers designed it for you to go on a wild goose chase but you can sequence break.

Lmao, nice.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, Gradenko will have a lifespan in minutes. Which is unfair, especially since I don't think the Allies finding out about the nerve gas was entirely his fault...

He's still responsible for the bad security on-site, even if it's obvious that Stalin's Ho is setting him up for a fall. I can't help but suspect that Stalin knows, but doesn't care; we'll see how that works out for him.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I like this mission briefing, you could really feel the tension in the room at parts, and Stalin flipping from menacing to uncomfortably jovial in the span of a second is great. Even the Intelligence Officer looked pretty uncomfortable at that. Poor Gradenko though, having Ernestine "kidnapped" and losing a nerve gas facility all at once, just not his day.

Anyway, this is a nice short but sweet map, with a lot of cat and mouse throughout. It is quickly established that the Spy hides out in churches, which are easy to pick out, so if you see one, you know where to go next. Having each section as a mini-puzzle is nice, and the time limit, while low, should not be an issue on such a small map unless you waste a huge amount of time. Nice sequence break though, never thought of going up there early like that. The Spy getting mauled as soon as he got of the transport sure was a thing. As for the water getting shown like that, I remember the same thing happening when I played, so not sure what is up with that, maybe to make sure that the player knows where the Spy went?

So yeah, not much at all to say about this one, a nice change up from build and destroy missions is always welcome though.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

thetruegentleman posted:

He's still responsible for the bad security on-site, even if it's obvious that Stalin's Ho is setting him up for a fall. I can't help but suspect that Stalin knows, but doesn't care; we'll see how that works out for him.

if you can't thwart your rival setting you up for a fall, you weren't meant to be in soviet russia

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kanfy posted:

Nonsense, this Stalin guy seems like the quickly forgiving sort. I mean didn't you see the way he went from shouting angrily to laughing jollily in the span of about 30 seconds, the man is clearly capable of handling setbacks in good humor.

Again, very true to the real man. It's a wonder that the whole Politburo didn't perish from alcohol poisoning due to stress.

Hopefully this new handsome advisor can moderate comrade Stalin's temper.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Aces High posted:

The ending cinematic should have changed to a firing squad all armed with grenade launchers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

evilmiera posted:

The ending cinematic should have changed to a firing squad all armed with grenade launchers.

And if you catch him with your dogs, a rabid dog charging at the camera.

I swear I once managed to win this mission by catching the spy with my dogs just outside the church where he boards the boat, but was never able to replicate it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Thing is that I would totally believe its possible, if you can get the dogs to always be running and never slow down.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I clearly remember beating this mission once by catching him with dogs almost right away. I couldn’t tell you how I got the dogs to catch up to him outside of dumb luck

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

And if you catch him with your dogs, a rabid dog charging at the camera.

I swear I once managed to win this mission by catching the spy with my dogs just outside the church where he boards the boat, but was never able to replicate it.

Yeah, I also remember somehow catching the Spy early before he could transport up north. Might have been some weird distance thing with the Dogs leap attack.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maybe it's actually possible to do the grenade glitch with dogs too? Get Superdog leaping across half the map, homing in on the fleeing spy.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

nielsm posted:

Maybe it's actually possible to do the grenade glitch with dogs too? Get Superdog leaping across half the map, homing in on the fleeing spy.

This is in fact the case, and it's how people break this level. Once the dog leaps, the dog is invulnerable and will home in on its target like a jugular-seeking missile no matter where the target runs.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:dogbutton:IN DOGGED PURSUIT:krad:
:dukedoge:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

This is in fact the case, and it's how people break this level. Once the dog leaps, the dog is invulnerable and will home in on its target like a jugular-seeking missile no matter where the target runs.

Someone please do the needful

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hey gang, sorry about the delay but I've had a heck of a time getting some commentary recording sessions in but I'll try to get the next one out ASAP.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
No problem, just... don't let Comrade Stalin know about it, just pass the blame off on Gradenko, he is used to it by now.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hey gang, sorry about the delay but I've had a heck of a time getting some commentary recording sessions in but I'll try to get the next one out ASAP.

You're just trying to buy time to let Eisenstein escape! Ok boys, let's start throwing grenades at Jobbo Fett's home! We'll know we're getting close when he doesn't post any upda-

Wait, there may be a flaw with this plan. Wait...wait......nah, I got nothing. LET THE GRENADE THROWING COMMENCE!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Stalin is sending Yaks to your home town as we speak.

Joking aside, you kept a blistering pace through TD.
Slow updates are better than you burning out in the middle of Tiberian Sun or something.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Groetgaffel posted:

Stalin is sending Yaks to your home town as we speak.

Joking aside, you kept a blistering pace through TD.
Slow updates are better than you burning out in the middle of Tiberian Sun or something.

It's fine, unless their home town has a booming explosive barrel industry it'll take Yaks like 75 years to destroy it.

And on the bright side, well, let me put this way OP, the possibilities in making quips about burning out in Tiberian Sun... are limitless.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviets Mission 04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyJ_z9Whqsw
Soviets Mission 04

With successful attacks into Germany, and the spy threat dealt with, the intelligence officer now tasks us with being the diversionary force to pull Allied troops away from Berlin.

Somewhere near/between Bremen and Hamburg.

Objective: Use your forces to create a diversion and weaken the Allies defending Berlin.

Briefing: The Allied base in this region is proving to be problematic. Your mission is to take it out so that we can begin to move forces through this area. As long as they have communications they will be able to call upon heavy reinforcements. Crush their communications, and they should be easier to remove.

Author's note: The missions now get harder, but overall I like this map. There's a timer on the player when it comes to enemy reinforcements, but the base itself doesn't have any nasty tricks

Voiced/Played by: Andrea Robinson

Projects a perfectionist attitude and seemingly holds a grudge against Gradenko.

PARATROOPERS
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: AK-47 Rifle
Dropped from the Badger, this squad of 5 infantry soldiers are in every way similar to regular ground based infantry. Paratroopers can be dropped anywhere on the map, even in areas not yet explored.

Author's Note: As I said in the video, it sucks that you ONLY get rifle infantry for this, even though we've clearly seen that it is possible to airdrop varied groups. Regardless, a free squad of infantry that can drop anywhere on the map is pretty handy, so long as you don't drop them in spots covered in anti-air fire... or anti-infantry stuff when they land.

V2 ROCKET LAUNCHER
RANGE: Long
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: V2 Rocket
The V2 Launcher can destroy most buildings with just two rockets. Factor in its incredible range, and it is easy to see why the Allies fear this weapons platform. Its drawbacks are its light armor, long reload time, and inability to hit fast-moving targets.

Author's Note: The longest ranged ground unit, the extreme distance at which they can fire does come at the expense of defensive stats. In the same vein, they require time to launch their munitions at the enemy, and their reload time is rather high.

AP MINE LAYER
RANGE: N/A
ARMOR: Medium
WEAPON: AP Mines
The AP mine layer deploys Anti-Personnel Mines to thwart the Allied heavy infantry ranks. This Mine can destroy entire groups of infantry with one explosion. The Mine Layer carries 5 mines, and can be reloaded at the Service Depot.

Author's Note: The Anti-Personnel version of the mine layer, it has the same functions as the Allied version.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The paratroopers are expendable? That's capitalist pig talk! No New Soviet Man is expendable! Only a capitalist sympathizer would consider any person to be of less worth than machines.

Report to the gulags, dog :ussr:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Slaan posted:

The paratroopers are expendable? That's capitalist pig talk! No New Soviet Man is expendable! Only a capitalist sympathizer would consider any person to be of less worth than machines.

Report to the gulags, dog :ussr:

No no, expendables like the movies! Theyre badasses who can win scenarios all by themselves!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No no, expendables like the movies! Theyre badasses who can win scenarios all by themselves!
The Hollywood movies?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They were such patriots they went up in a fireball of glory rather than be captured :ussr:

I see you, end cinematic with your single barreled tanks! You can't fool me!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
tbh, I think there's only one unit that isn't expendable. You know which one I mean of course.

:woof:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Even from beyond the grave Trotsky seeks to sabotage the Bolshevik Revolution.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

She also has resting smugface.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The Hollywood movies?

The OP needs reeducation, immediately :argh:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
This is a really nice solid mission that definitely takes the gloves off and actually presents you with a surprisingly tough challenge for how early this mission is. The map itself, at least this version, has a very nice design, with the classic strong front door, weak rear defensive set-up for the Allied base. There is plenty of ore and even a fair few gems on the left side of the map and once the enemy reinforcements are disabled, defending your base is pretty simple. It could have been signposted better that you should set up on the left of the map though, maybe with a flare in the village, but as long as you scout around before building, you should be fine.

The map design is great and is well set-up for you to use your new Para-drop, as the Radar Dome is up on a cliff with no anti-infantry defenses, making destroying it incredibly easy once it has been spotted. Having several key buildings, including the Construction Yard, being targetable from the cliff makes it easy to gut the Allied base once you bring up a few tanks or V2s. However, the Allied do put up a tough fight, already deploying Medium Tanks and making smart use of their Rocket Infantry, which could catch a new player off guard. Oh, and a fun fact about the V2, its' armor is so thin that it can actually be damaged by a Technician's pistol.

Anyway, all in all this is a fun mission that acts as a good introduction to several key Allied and Soviet units and buildings, and also finally lets you be the one to unleash a hoard of Heavy Tanks to overrun everything in your path.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The West spends millions and puts their top scientists on developing a technology that can transport a small military unit into the enemy's rear area.

The Soviets accomplish the same thing by throwing men out of airplanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

Kangra posted:

The West spends millions and puts their top scientists on developing a technology that can transport a small military unit into the enemy's rear area.

The Soviets accomplish the same thing by throwing men out of airplanes.

"Wouldn't use of parachutes increase the number of successful deployments?"
"So would increasing the number of men thrown."