Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You died. How?
Ion Cannon
Crushed to death by rubble
Listened to one-to-many briefings from Sheppard
Consumed by Commander Rapter
View Results

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Thotimx posted:

Jobbo is right that it is cool to watch, and can serve some strategic purposes. It's also possible to have too much of a good thing, and it can be a cheap trick. As in, 'well, we can't be bothered to actually properly balance this mission, so we'll just throw in some barrels in case things aren't quite right'. And then there's the whole idea that these bases would have tons of explosives just waiting to be set off at the slightest misplaced/properly placed round of ordnance. Everything else so far - various base buildings, harvesters, dogs, defensive structures/wires, infantry, vehicles, etc. - at least has defensible argument for it being there.
Are you seriously complaining about explosive barrels being in a game? They are not there to make sense, they are there because people think it's fun to blow poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Alright guys lets let the explosive barrels thing die a quiet death, its not everyones cup of tea :)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Thotimx posted:

And then there's the whole idea that these bases would have tons of explosives just waiting to be set off at the slightest misplaced/properly placed round of ordnance. Everything else so far - various base buildings, harvesters, dogs, defensive structures/wires, infantry, vehicles, etc. - at least has defensible argument for it being there.
You speak as if accidentally turning military installations into enormous bombs isn't a thing that happens in real life.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Explosive barrels are a proud gaming tradition and I'll not tolerate this besmirchment of their noble emplacement.

But really yeah they're a way to add a sort of rolling narrative/level progression to a map. The REAL issue is how they have the Ranger in game but I can't remember ever playing anyone that ever used them. If it could double as an APC it might have had a little use.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

make a lovely speedrun for the most awful game ever, that way if anyone wants to dethrone you they have to spend more effort on an awful game.
Considering that just a week ago, the exchange
"every input is frame perfect!"
"we're up to... seven."
was uttered halfway through a run, and only half-joking

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Plek posted:

Explosive barrels are a proud gaming tradition and I'll not tolerate this besmirchment of their noble emplacement.

But really yeah they're a way to add a sort of rolling narrative/level progression to a map. The REAL issue is how they have the Ranger in game but I can't remember ever playing anyone that ever used them. If it could double as an APC it might have had a little use.

Yeah, Rangers are pretty bad, will go into detail about their stats when they actually show up as a buildable unit to avoid spoilers though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied Mission 04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-Zb-NtHqU
Allied Mission 04

The setbacks continue, and, despite blowing up key bridges and delaying Soviet forces, they have returned in greater number to the same mountain pass we defended only a few missions ago. Use your available forces, reinforce the base, and eliminate the Soviet presence from the area.

Returning to a previous level!

Objective: Destroy the bridges in the nearby area to blunt the Soviet advance.

Briefing: Soviet forces are trying to retake the pass you cleared for our convoys. Don't let this happen. Hold the pass and prevent the Soviets from taking this vital area. Destroy all Soviet units and buildings in this region.

Author's note: I love the mechanic of using a base and forces that were established in a previous mission. Even though we have such a boon, the map itself can still present a challenge to newer players.

Name: General Von Esling
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Allies
Voiced/Played by: Arthur Roberts

A seemingly no-nonsense leader who is willing to try unorthodox means if it means completing his goals.

Name: Nikos Stavros
Voiced/Played by: Barry Kramer

A stickler for the rules, and unwilling to use outside help.

CAMOUFLAGED PILLBOX
ARMOR: Heavy
PURPOSE: Anti-infantry defense
Identically equipped as the Pillbox, this defensive structure has the advantages of better armor and near-perfect camouflage. It blends with the surrounding terrain, making it virtually invisible.

Author's Note: While the manual states the camo pillbox as having more armor, I did not see this to be true in the rules.ini file, most likely due to patches after the manual was released.

RADAR DOME
ARMOR: Light
PURPOSE: Provides radar
The Radar Dome gives you an overhead view of the battlefield when fully powered.

Author's Note: Nothing too special about the allied Radar Dome. It unlocks higher tech levels, but otherwise isn't remarkable.

SERVICE DEPOT
PURPOSE: Repairs & reloads vehicles The Service Depot repairs any damaged vehicle that you move onto it. Mine Layer units can be re-loaded by driving them onto the pad. (Repairing a vehicle is much faster than building one, and costs a fraction of the original price. This is a worthy investment.)

Author's Note: As with Tiberian Dawn, if you can stomach the long repair times, it IS a worthy investment. The fact that you can queue units allows for less headaches when repairing a large force in one go.

TURRET
PURPOSE: Anti-tank defense
A Turret-mounted 105mm cannon. Heavily armored with good range, this Turret is effective against armored threats.

Author's Note: The standard Allied anti-tank defensive structure.

WAR FACTORY
PURPOSE: Constructs vehicles
This structure is responsible for the building of all ground -based Allied vehicles. Building multiple War Factories decreases the amount of time required to create a vehicle.

Author's Note: The only thing I can say about the War Factory is that it feels extremely slow to build. :shrug:

LIGHT TANK
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: Medium
WEAPON: 75mm Cannon
The standard Allied Tank. Fast, with decent armor, the Light Tank works well in mixed groups, and also in large divisions. What it lacks in firepower, it makes up for in speed and rapid fire.

Author's Note: In small numbers, these things aren't worth the cost once/if you get access to better tanks.

AT MINE LAYER
RANGE: N/A
ARMOR: Medium
WEAPON: AT Mines
The Anti-Tank Mine Layer is one of the most effective units on the Allied side. Able to destroy most units with just one mine, a savvy commander can neutralize an enemy force before they get near a base. The Mine Layer carries 5 mines, and can be reloaded at the Service Depot.

Author's Note: I don't care all that much for this unit, but it is handy. Its more of a personal thing. Great for traps and murdering ore trucks or mining mineral fields.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 21, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8QvsxchuTs

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

:vince:

what the hell was the last one?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dogs of War

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fish Noise posted:

:vince:

what the hell was the last one?

Flamethrower towers shooting at mega range with no cooldown~ish.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

holy poo poo I'm kinda amazed the game didn't just hard lock or anything from all the nuke explosions

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
The ps1 version of this game uses passwords instead of saves so for this mission you only start out with a constriction yard ,a power plant, and a barracks for your buildings and a mine layer , 1 rifleman and 1 ranger,
fortunately this still isn't to hard so long as you get your base defenses up and running fairly quickly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr.Flibble posted:

The ps1 version of this game uses passwords instead of saves so for this mission you only start out with a constriction yard ,a power plant, and a barracks for your buildings and a mine layer , 1 rifleman and 1 ranger,
fortunately this still isn't to hard so long as you get your base defenses up and running fairly quickly.

That's lame :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Aces High posted:

holy poo poo I'm kinda amazed the game didn't just hard lock or anything from all the nuke explosions

It DID lag the menu, so there's that!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Allied Mission 4 is a very solid mission, with the twist of actually using the base from Mission 2 again on a now larger map. As stated in the video, the units and buildings from that mission are all there, so you can definitely put in some prepwork there to make this mission easier. Ore is super plentiful and has fully regrown, re-ored? Whatever, the ore is fully back, so no worries of being mined out at the start.

Now, as for units, the Light Tank is more expensive then its TD counterpart, but has better sight and a faster cooldown. I found that they work best in a mixed group with Infantry, as if you can get a Heavy Tank to focus on your infantry, the Light Tanks can rapidly chip away at their health. Rangers, on the other hand, are mostly trash. They have a better cooldown and sight range then the TD HUMVEE, but 600 credits base cost is insane for what you get. Might as well scout with a Light Tank for only 100 more.

Shame that you didn't find much use for Mine Layers. While I do admit that they take a high amount of mirco, their mines are just so incredibly powerful. Taking out 75% of a Heavy Tanks' HP in a single mine is pretty nice, and a hidden bonus is that the AI doesn't go nuts if a Ore Truck hits one, which was shown in the video. Plus, I think it only takes 2 mines to kill a full HP Ore Truck, so scattering a handful of mines in an ore field will quickly pay off. As for your Ore Trucks not mining, yeah, I remember that happening sometimes as well. No clue as to why, but it can be annoying to flat out deadly when your eco suddenly flatlines for a while.

In all though, Mission 4 is a nice real introduction to full on base building and actually taking on an enemy base that fights back.

You absolute madman. Beautiful.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I have to admit that I immediately lost my poo poo when, after making nukedogs, the first thing to happen on my first attempt was:

Dog leaps at soldier, cannot be killed
Bite 1 kills and starts nuke
Dog IMMEDIATELY leaps to soldier 2
Bites 2nd and starts 2nd nuke
1st nuke kills all ground units
2nd nuke kills chopper because it was low enough to be affected by the blast
Mission Failed in 4 seconds

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

:yeshaha:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I have to admit that I immediately lost my poo poo when, after making nukedogs, the first thing to happen on my first attempt was:

Dog leaps at soldier, cannot be killed
Bite 1 kills and starts nuke
Dog IMMEDIATELY leaps to soldier 2
Bites 2nd and starts 2nd nuke
1st nuke kills all ground units
2nd nuke kills chopper because it was low enough to be affected by the blast
Mission Failed in 4 seconds
I've heard of dogs having atomic breath but that's a bit much

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

You made the lag cannon! :getin:

Nuclear grenadiers were also a favourite of mine, but you have to exploit a little glitch to get them to work. Order an attack, then while they are beginning their windup animation quickly order an attack on a distant target and they'll get a magical range increase. Not sure what it maxes out at.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Might, uh, want to put an epilepsy warning on that one. That nuke effect is obnoxious as hell.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I feel like the range is limited to as fast as you can move your cursor, based on that exploit being key for the speedrun of a Soviet mission

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

UED Special Ops posted:

Allied Mission 4 is a very solid mission, with the twist of actually using the base from Mission 2 again on a now larger map. As stated in the video, the units and buildings from that mission are all there, so you can definitely put in some prepwork there to make this mission easier. Ore is super plentiful and has fully regrown, re-ored? Whatever, the ore is fully back, so no worries of being mined out at the start.

In all though, Mission 4 is a nice real introduction to full on base building and actually taking on an enemy base that fights back.

The fun thing is if you let the soviet base stand in mission 2, it'll still be there. I remember taking over that base and building the soviet tanks, but Jobbo couldn't build engineers in the mission - so I dunno why I remember that.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
When you point at an enemy unit there's a different attack cursor depending on whether it's inside or outside the range of your selected units. That's a pretty neat thing they added in this game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crazy Achmed posted:

You made the lag cannon! :getin:

Awwww come on i wanted this to be a surprise...

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 19, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you do something silly like selling your entire base at the end of mission 2, or at the start for an extra challenge, it's going to make mission 4 kinda impossible.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Poil posted:

If you do something silly like selling your entire base at the end of mission 2, or at the start for an extra challenge, it's going to make mission 4 kinda impossible.

Without tanks? Close to impossible, unless you have a stunningly large amount of rocket soldiers

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Actually, it seems that there is a safeguard for selling everything in mission 2, as I doubt that Westwood would let you set up a dead man walking situation so early in the game.

Mr.Flibble posted:

So if I had to guess this bare minimum base would be given to you if you sold everything and somehow killed off every unit but one.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Wow, I had flashbacks to this mission just now... my second C&C experience after the original was RA 1 on PS 1, and good lord was it rough to play with a controller. That said, I had experience with Shadow of the Horned Rat, so it was a breeze compared to that nightmare... still, rough for 10 year old me!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Soviet disk detected. To play the Allied missions, please insert Allied disk.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

UED Special Ops posted:

Actually, it seems that there is a safeguard for selling everything in mission 2, as I doubt that Westwood would let you set up a dead man walking situation so early in the game.
I remember it being possible, but it was many many years ago now.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Armoured warfare is rough in the early Allied missions because of how outmatched the Red Alert Light Tank is against Soviet heavy armour. You have to rely heavily on rocket soldiers and medics, and get very good at microing your infantry to avoid them getting crushed. This makes the flame tower a deceptively powerful defence and makes this campaign quite hard for a new player.

Allied mission 3 not having a briefing FMV brings up another point - Red Alert, for all its vast success, was intended by Westwood to be a between-projects moneyspinner. It was thrown together on a budget to bring in cash and keep the company running while they worked on Tiberian Sun (and oh boy will we have lots to say about TS's protracted development when we get there). That's why it uses a mildly-upgraded TD engine and recycles a great many TD graphics.

The success of TD meant it had a solid marketing budget and a considerable amount of hype, and of course the gaming public lapped it up, but from Westwood's POV this game was a sleeper hit and that will be steadily more apparent as we get further into the campaigns and expansions.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

:five:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Loxbourne posted:

Armoured warfare is rough in the early Allied missions because of how outmatched the Red Alert Light Tank is against Soviet heavy armour. You have to rely heavily on rocket soldiers and medics, and get very good at microing your infantry to avoid them getting crushed. This makes the flame tower a deceptively powerful defence and makes this campaign quite hard for a new player.

On the other hand, it does makes it clear through the gameplay why the Soviets are apparently making steady progress into Allied territory in spite of your own mission successes: the Allies are just that outclassed at the outset of the war.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied Mission 05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Lvo5ztZXI
Allied Mission 05

Greece has been almost completely overrun by the Soviets. As a result, it appears that a general vote in the UN has resolved to begin funding a Global Defense agency. Tanya has been captured while investigating the Soviet Iron Curtain project, and its up to Commander A9 and a small force to rescue her.

Presumably in the area of Vilnius, despite Von Esling's claim of it being near Grodno.

Objective: Rescue Tanya and destroy all Soviet presence in the area.

Briefing: Rescue Tanya. Your spy can move past any enemy unit, except dogs, without being detected. Direct him into the weapons factory located at a nearby Soviet Base where he will hijack a truck and free Tanya, With Tanya's help, take out the air defenses on the island and a Chinook will arrive to rescue her. Then destroy all remaining Soviet buildings and units.

Author's note: A nice mission with a cool setup that exposes the enemy bases without trivializing it. Also, a very good intro to the Spy.

Name: General Von Esling
Voiced/Played by: Arthur Roberts

A seemingly no-nonsense leader who is willing to try unorthodox means if it means completing his goals. Von Esling has a renewed belief that Soviet aggression has only made the Allies that much stronger..

Name: Nikos Stavros
Voiced/Played by: Barry Kramer

A stickler for the rules, and unwilling to use outside help. Stunned at the loss of his home country of Greece.

Name: Tanya Adams
Affiliation: Allied (Unofficially)
Voiced/Played by: Lanae Freeborn (Game)/ Lynne Litteer (FMV)

A professional volunteer, which is why she's still alive. Instrumental in saving Einstein from Soviet captivity. Captured while investigating the Soviet's Iron Curtain project, but was rescued by Allied spies.

Name: Unknown
Aliases: Interrogator
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Dom Magwili

Interrogated Tanya in an attempt to discover the location of Einstein. Killed by Tanya as she escaped from captivity.

Aliases: Unknown
Voiced/Played by: Unknown

Mortally wounded while attempting to rescue Tanya from captivity.

Affiliation: None
Voiced/Played by: Gwen Castaldi

Announcer on TV. Revealed the UN results for a Global Defense force.

MEDIUM TANK
RANGE: Medium
WEAPON: 105mm Cannon
The higher-grade Allied Tank, this unit is just as well armored, faster, and less costly than the Soviet Heavy Tank, though armed with only a single barrel. Used in groups with Light Tanks, the Medium Tank can draw fire while the Lighter Tanks destroy the threat.

Author's Note: While the suggestion from the manual on how to use Medium tanks isn't bad, I'd still rather just have more Medium tanks.

SPY
RANGE: N/A
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: Information
Master of disguise, the Spy can slip by enemy forces undetected. A versatile unit, the Spy can gather many kinds of information on an enemy player – what they’re building, how much money they have, how many units they have, etc. Beware – Attack Dogs are not fooled by the Spy’s appearance.

Author's Note: While great against AI, I don't think the spy would do too well vs another player, unless they weren't paying attention. That being said, the usefulness of the spy is iffy, based on how frequently you'll see dogs randomly strewn about in an AI's base.

APC
RANGE: Short
WEAPON: M-60 Machine gun
With the Armored Personnel Carrier, the Allies can transport up to 5 infantry units quickly across land. A tracked vehicle, the APC is the lightest unit with the ability to crush Sandbag and Barbed Wire Barriers. The Turret-Mounted M-60 helps keep infantry at bay while it goes about its mission.

Author's Note: I don't think I ever voluntarily chose to build this. I blame the engineer nerf.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 21, 2019

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Lol'd at the getting aggravated with the AI for sending dogs after the engineers.

I'm also going to be contrarian again and say I like the engineer change - basically because they were OP in the original and now they are closer to balanced. The whole not being able to steal an enemy base when you are outnumbered is a good thing IMO.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Why didn't Tanya and creepo interrogator man get on the character page?

E: vvvv well sure but Tanya deserves a mention.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 21, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
^^^ I got you covered, and even the spy and announcer.

By popular demand posted:

Why didn't Tanya and creepo interrogator man get on the character page?

I don't want to talk about creepo man :( And I hate needles.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 21, 2019

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so there was talk about the creation of a Global Initiative, eh :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Aces High posted: