Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You died. How?
Ion Cannon
Crushed to death by rubble
Listened to one-to-many briefings from Sheppard
Consumed by Commander Rapter
View Results

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Funny how this picture has the Hind shooting the tank but in the opening video it's an Apache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
So in the German version of Tiberian Dawn everyone was turned into robots, how did they deal with Red Alert which is set in the past? Simple, they turned everyone into robots. Except for Tanya. One of her ingame voicelines has her taunt the "tin boys".

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Poil posted:

But... you can kill Tanya. Just walk her into the base without taking out the powerplant or infantry and she dies. Heck in multiplayer you can set up micro intensive Tanya duels.

I don't know, it's weird. The commando in TD was a robot. A robot with an attitude. A commandobot. Maybe it's because she's a volunteer. Maybe it's because she shows up in the FMVs and losing those would have been too much to cut. Would be neat to find out. :shrug:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Might as well keep bringing up these things because I think it's interesting and funny.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

MEDIC
RANGE: N/A
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: Bandages
Any friendly infantry near the Medic will automatically be healed to full health. Although a Medic cannot heal himself, Medics working in teams make excellent additions to any infantry force.

In Germany this guy was a mechanic. A mechanic who's also a robot. A mechanobot.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Item Getter posted:

Did they just cut out the opening video with Hitler I guess?

Funny thing! The part with Hitler is cut out so the video has Einstein disappear and reappear in one shot. In my opinion seeing that was actually really cool and finding out about the silly original was a bit of a letdown.

This brings me to another thing. Red Alert (or maybe it was one of the expansions) came with several Windows themes. Remember when those were a thing? Matching sounds, desktop wallpaper and icons for My Computer and the Recycling Bin? Well, one of them had this wallpaper and naturally for the longest time I had no idea what it was and figured it must be something that happens later in the game.

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 15, 2019

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

HardDiskD posted:

dude we are not even 20 minutes into the game

Yeah let's all calm down a little.

On topic. Am I misremembering or can Tanya get stuck on bridges after blowing them up?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
When you point at an enemy unit there's a different attack cursor depending on whether it's inside or outside the range of your selected units. That's a pretty neat thing they added in this game.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Lots of things to see here! I think it's the first we've seen of them here anyway?

The flamethrowers are back, their attack looked cooler in RA but the high range fireball attack in RA makes them a little more useful.
The mammoth tank is back! And it comes in red! How about that!

Your power management this mission was... something. After a couple of attack runs without operational AA all I could do was laugh. Also, do you think you could record these at 720p (at the current game resolution)?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
In that cutscene those are clearly gap generators at either side of the ship but they say it's the chronosphere, something doesn't add up.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Uh... clearly we're the Allies, not sure what this Germany or France business is...

e: nevermind

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 26, 2019

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
What an awesome mission, even if not always the most fun to play.

If it's alright I have some annotated footage of the first two Allied missions in the German version to share as supplemental material.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If it doesn't reveal anything we haven't seen in the Allied campaign, or any Soviet/Story spoilers, be my guest :)

Alright, cool

German Red Alert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxF99zu2V_Q
There's subs, and timestamps for the notable changes.

It's the DOS version with its tiny resolution which gives a nice view of the visual differences. This reminds me of something else... those cruisers we saw in mission 9? Their range might not seem so extreme to us when we see them shoot from one end of the screen to the other in the video but back in the day this meant they were firing at targets MULTIPLE SCREENS OVER (even at the higher res of the Windows version). Absolutely crazy to young me.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I thiiiink Emperor: Battle for Dune had indoor missions.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Wow yeah, this was a little extreme.

...anyone want to make a guess as to how this one played out in German? :allears:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I'm always glad to see my favorite character pop up again, the technology center/prison. As for ending the mission early, you may getting it mixed up with something else.

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 13, 2019

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
How many engineers does it take to switch a light bulb? Five. The first four will only damage it.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
The Soviets love these trucks.

Mordja posted:

Lmao from going directly from prop planes to MiG-29s with seemingly nothing in between.

I'm still bothered by the MiG 29 in the cutscenes when the ingame ones look like the MiG 23 or MiG 27.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

UED Special Ops posted:

It is nice how the Soviets don't attack the civilian buildings, so you have all the time you need to build up and clear out Soviet forces before triggering the civilian spawns.

It turns out they will in fact attack the villages after some time.

UED Special Ops posted:

As for the evac zone, I guess if you didn't want to clear out the Soviet base, loading up the civilians in APCs to then rush over to the Landers would do the trick, pretty sure that they can take a single Tesla Coil shock.

Sadly you do not get APCs in this mission. They would also have been nice to just get the civilians out of their villages to start with. I was wondering if you could maybe get a chinook if you captured the helipad as an alternative but you do not.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Speaking of weird rules.ini hacks, any idea what's up with the mammoth tanks' missiles in this last mission?:raise:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its been a while, what happened to them to seem weird?

I could have sworn they made different explosions but now that I look at other videos they seem to match. My whole life is a lie.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Makes sense, but they did have flamethrowers. Better to nuke things from afar!

Turns out the flame towers do not cover the refinery from the left side, also it's loaded (+10,000) at the start of the mission so definitely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Wasn't Kosygin the first character we saw use that sprite? A little weird we keep calling it Stavros.