Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You died. How?
Ion Cannon
Crushed to death by rubble
Listened to one-to-many briefings from Sheppard
Consumed by Commander Rapter
View Results

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Maybe in this rough draft Einstein merely moved Hitler to another point in the timeline where he actually finishes art school and becomes a painter :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

Firstly, RA1's nukes in multiplayer are way, way below what they do in single-player. They're worse than the TD ion cannon (which can still be used to pick off structures). A Red Alert 1 multiplayer nuke can barely kill a basic power plant with a direct hit.

Secondly, player outcry at the way the Soviets had the "best" tanks, strongest base defences, and almost all the air units. Yes, the balance is better than it looks, but people weren't bothering to test it. They saw the Soviets with mammoth tanks, tesla coils, and MiGs and screamed blue murder.

I know you're saying the balance is better than it looks but that was not the impression my friend and I got from our countless LAN battles in Red Alert, mostly just because of the Mammoth Tanks. It is of course entirely possible I never got a good counter strategy going for them but I found that everything I would try just couldn't beat Mammoth Tanks once my friend had more than 2 of them up and running. Longbows would get intercepted easily. Medium Tanks melted too fast, The fact that Mammoth Tusk missiles mulched infantry meant massing rocket soldiers didn't work etc. etc.

The only thing that would work was cruisers which of course could only fire so far. I feel like The Allies should've been given the Heavy Tank for some balance in exchange for the Light Tank, or something to that effect

Also I didn't know about the nukes in multiplayer being nerfed like that, it sorta explains why I always found them so underwhelming.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Reading around "pros" seem to agree the Allies have the best tanks. I suspect the apparent power of the soviets is that in casual games, it's common for games to proceed to the point where resources aren't a constraint, and then mammoths are nice in how you can concentrate a lot of them in a big wave. In pro matches things are more cutthroat, and the game never gets to that point.

This is probably the case seeing as how my friend and I would make custom maps that had Gems all over the place, thus unintentionally screwing up the intended balance created by scarce resources.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

During the winter war the russian troops wore olive summer uniforms.

...It's a minor miracle they won WWII isn't it. And by Minor Miracle I mean "Hitler was a blithering tactical idiot"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

On the one hand its Petroglyph as the developers which is awesome. On the other hand EA is publishing so get ready for live services bullshit :sigh:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, as a kid this always frustrated me. Imagine my excitement when I downloaded that INI editing tool that was super popular for RA1 (forgot the name) and enabling/disabling it was as simple as a checkbox.

I think it was TibEd? I remember using that program a lot and creating poo poo like Artillery with Cruiser Guns and Tesla-equipped jeeps, etc.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Pom posted:

Oh, if you think INI editing can do some ridiculous poo poo in this game, just wait until we get to the next in the series.

I never said my experiences with TibEd were limited to just RA :getin:

Just didn't want to say anything further because of obvious spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah but both would have been tank track treats very quickly!

That's what the scatter button is for :v: