Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You died. How?
Ion Cannon
Crushed to death by rubble
Listened to one-to-many briefings from Sheppard
Consumed by Commander Rapter
View Results

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I had forgotten all about Tanya :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That would involve spoilers so I stayed extremely vague ;)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Poil posted:

But... you can kill Tanya. Just walk her into the base without taking out the powerplant or infantry and she dies. Heck in multiplayer you can set up micro intensive Tanya duels.
I can't fully explain the deranged mind of the German censor, but I always understood the intent behind censorship of violent games in my country to make them less about violence, rather than excise all violence completely. That's why even in more modern games, they remove the blood but keep you killing people intact, it's supposed to not make you feel good to "kill". Like, the game should be about success in the end, not the murder in between, or something.

Hence, Tanya dying is unfortunate and tragic, but she's only one human. The big war with thousands of casualties itself is still fought "cleanly" with robots, so it's okay for you to send your troops into a meatsteel grinder.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Wait, they still do it? I thought videogameviolence censorship was over by 2010...
Not even close to the extent it was done in the 90s, but still for games like Wolfenstein (not just for the violence, though). They rather put games on a "for adults only" list and you can get them below the counter if you ask. I'm not super current on it however, because I haven't lived and/or bought games in Germany for years now. One unfortunate thing however: until very recently, if you were listed as a German on Steam, you could only get the censored versions of older games like Resident Evil 4.

I'd like to note that it actually worked to convince my mom to let me play C&C, because I could bring up the "it's only robots" argument; she was against me buying Advance Wars (despite the artstyle being super cutesy) as she didn't like having war presented as a game :v:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

My biggest memory of TS is that the manual that was so hilariously wrong about some stuff I'm not sure if they got it from an early version of the game or whoever wrote it just made it up. The awkward Swedish translation (another shocker) didn't help much.
I remember being so annoyed at it when I was younger I actually wrote a letter of complaint to EA about it. Although I can't remember if I ever sent it or not.
Whenever that game rolls around on the list I might flip through it again and find the most egregious stuff.
Imagine if the game was censored in other countries as well.

The bullets they're shooting? Actually they're throwing Köttbullar at high speed. And is that blood? No, you guessed it: Lingonsylt.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Watching the entire map go up in flames after you set off a single barrel is the best thing about this game's mission, what are you even talking about

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It kept nagging me during the TD LP that I wanted to ask (but always forgot) if you could repair buildings with Engineers. It seems that this is also a new feature now and that settles the question!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I've always thought Einstein was a bit of a stereotypical absentminded professor type, but with a dark edge due to this being an all-out war. Like he doesn't care AT ALL that a bunch of people died on board the ship they tried and failed to teleport, but he makes sure to mention that you should protect the scientists in the research building because they're important for research, not because they're living beings.

He'd probably be an evil mad scientist viewed through any lens other than "is working for The Good Guys".

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hed posted:

Great playthrough. I took the other map and did a similar thing where I stocked up on rocket soldiers and mined my beaches to prevent Soviet landings that never came. Destroyed the sub pen and started burrowing in that way.

I ended up constructing a few Ranger jeeps just to speed through their island assassinating dogs. It was pretty easy to get in and out after that.
Imagine being the guy chosen for the most honorable "killing dogs suicide mission"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think I had a level select or something at hand to try out every mission at least once, because I sure as hell did not play through all of the Allied campaign up to this point, but I do remember this mission and really liking it. I'm a sucker for no-base missions (I've said that before itt), and this was one of the first ones I've experienced. I played it a bunch just to find the "optimal" way, to lose as little units as possible, find all the secrets like the computer to blow up the flame turret, and so on. It's great stuff!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think the biggest issue with artillery in those early games is that even the light tank already outranges the basic defense structure, and that the artillery conversely doesn't outrange the advanced defenses. It should be ideal for base assault, but it's...not.

I think the V2 is way better at doing that job, because as we've seen, you can't do poo poo against it with turrets.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That base looks exactly like what I'd build as a kid, so I can't hate on it. If the base can't defend itself automatically while all the units are off to storm the enemy base, what good is your base even??? enemy artillery is unfair and bad game design

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Why it's pro wrestler Justin Credible. What he's doing aiding the Soviets we may never know

It's the dude who slit that one soviet soldier's throat in that one cutscene, who didn't give him a light! What a traitor!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I wonder if it's actually the tanks being coded to specifically have the trucks follow them and that causes their inability to be repaired. Like, maybe they (and units spawned from them as they die) are actually the brown faction like the trucks are, but repainted and made controllable, but of course you can't repair secretly-brown vehicles on a red service depot?

I think the timer in this mission is pretty brilliant, because I know I would be tempted to "play it safe" after managing to capture the base, build it up like a normal base and use some tanks to crush everything, but the game very clearly tells you "buddy just hoof it", and that's a nice thing, actually.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think this mission might have been better if it was just its actual mission statement: destroy the Allied's naval capabilities. The final naval yard underneath the gap generator is so insanely heavily guarded that it might as well be THE objective building, instead of the objective being "eh fuggit kill everything". Maybe it was that initially but it was still too "easy" to mass MIGs and gently caress it up, AA guns be damned? Or they wanted you to also destroy all the ships and couldn't figure out a way to make the engine react to that win condition?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Again, judging from how the TD map code breakdowns looked like, they probably made a singular "if [conyard], [refinery], [weapons factory] are destroyed, sell all and go ham" function, and it can't be activated on this map, because there isn't a refinery TO be destroyed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I wonder if you could advance along the northern street, capture the radar dome, build a naval yard, take over the seas and then bombard their power plants from the water? They're awfully close to the shore...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Not all of them, but at least one of their two Advanceds is really close to the water. I feel like this means something. It might still be a bad idea due to how many U-boats there are, but maybe they wanted to give at least the option to make Gunboats a little useful.

Of course, maybe you'd have to get so close that V2s and the not-mobile-gap-generators would just annihilate the boats...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

lmao

"Yeah we're just not gonna touch it. Please please please tell all the new recruits first thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, this has been really cool. I feel the itch to try the game out myself like I did for TD, maybe I'll get a bit farther than five missions :D.

Contrary to TD, I have a lot of fond memories of playing this with a buddy, like we decided what building to put where together, and took turns building up tank armies and so on. My favorite thing was a little trick he pulled in a skirmish map: he allied with an enemy player (maybe with a console command?), then built a fuckload of demo trucks and parked them next to each of their buildings.

Then he broke the alliance and set off the first truck with a nuke.