Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

One of Djoker/Fed/Nadal will win. If Djoker/Fed win, they will overtake Roy Emerson with the most Aussie Open titles with whom they are currently tied. If Nadal wins, he will be the only player in the Open Era to win 2 career slams. Murray is retiring after Wimbledon.

On the women's side, Serena is still the favorite, Naomi Osaka looks to confirm her US Open victory over Serena, and Elina Svitolina, now with a Tour Finals title, will try not to choke in a major (spoiler: she will).

https://ausopen.com/

The first slam of the year begins on Monday, January 14 and ends on Sunday, January 27. Subtract 16 hours for U.S. Eastern Time.

TV coverage starts at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2 on opening day but 9 p.m. thereafter due to college basketball. Fortunately, you can watch full tournament coverage when it starts at 7 p.m. every day at http://www.watchespn.com. The AO website and app also offer radio streams which are very good.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites
Novak Djokovic 6/5
Roger Federer 9/2
Rafael Nadal 9/1
Alexander Zverev 10/1
Karen Khachanov 25/1
Kei Nishikori 25/1
Kevin Anderson 25/1
Marin Cilic 25/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites
Serena Williams 9/2
Angelique Kerber 15/2
Aryna Sabalenka 11/1
Naomi Osaka 12/1
Elina Svitolina 14/1
Ashleigh Barty 16/1
Karolina Pliskova 16/1
Petra Kvitová 16/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I will miss Murray. I wish he had won one of those AO finals. :sigh: And during the offseason Aga Radwanska retired as well because of a persistent foot injury so that's now two of my favorites gone.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Sad way for Murray to go. I wonder if he will make it to Wimbledon, hardly seems worth it just to hobble out in the first round.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

2 hours till the first ball. Not anything too interesting in the first set of matches. Sharapova opening on Laver though.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Andy :cry:

We've had our first 10 point deciding tie break between Boulter and Makarova. Boulter won 10-6.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

Andy :cry:

We've had our first 10 point deciding tie break between Boulter and Makarova. Boulter won 10-6.

I totally forgot about that. Every major uses a different system now. I guess the French being the only one to not have a tiebreak makes it slightly better, and yet it's still the worst one.

Crowd going wild every time Andy wins a point is nice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I fell asleep during the 4th set of Murray's match :smith:

Also I totally should've put :20bux: on Serena at 9/2 :smithicide:

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
it's 3 AM and I am still awake

time to watch Novak

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Oh good Novak will win again and yawn.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

None of today’s matches are appealing to me. Tennis is dead.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
exciting rain delay in the Federer match

e: and we're back

i guess they stopped 5 minutes for the light drizzle

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Millman put on a great show last night, I hope he can take a set off Nadal.

Raonic also looked very composed, it would be great to see him go deep in the tournament.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I've been enjoying the Oz tennis drama. Tomic is a wanker, but he does have a point about Hewitt and the things said should be investigated.

Hewitt whined how other Oz players aren't getting attention thanks to Tomic and then does a press conference and says Tomic threatened to kill my family and is blackmailed me and wahhhh.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
My views on the Hewitt/Tomic/Kyrgios stuff

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Likewise, there was an article about how the drama is overshadowing the achievements of the Aussie women, in particular pointing to how Kygios and Tomics exhibition match drew more press than Barty doing well in the Sydney International. And somehow this is Kyrgios and Tomics fault when it is the press making a big deal of it.

Which is one thing that has been annoying me, Kyrgios and Tomic play an exhibition match and they don't play it seriously. It's an exhibition between friends, I'd expect shenanigans. But as part as the outrage there was a tweet about how the match should have been treated as a case of match fixing because you can bet on it. Why isn't the take "why the hell is there betting on exhibition matches?"

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The Sharapova/Woz match was pretty good yesterday. Indoor conditions helped Sharapova's poo poo serve and Woz didn't attack enough.

Amoeba102 posted:

Why isn't the take "why the hell is there betting on exhibition matches?"

Because as long as some fuckwit wants to bet on it bookies will offer it. Those sort of matches are bad to bet on anyway and usually some other proper tennis match going on at the same time.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Sodium Chloride posted:

The Sharapova/Woz match was pretty good yesterday. Indoor conditions helped Sharapova's poo poo serve and Woz didn't attack enough.

And now she is melting down

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Get off my tv Scott Morrison you loving turd

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This Federer/Tsitsipas match is real good. A lot of resilience on both sides.

Also happy that Kvitova is into the quarterfinals. I haven't been able to see enough of her this tournament to know if this is proper God Mode Petra or not, but I'm allowing myself to be hopeful. Actually whoever comes out of the Kvitova/Barty match winning the whole thing would be great in general.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Crosspost from Auspol - because I was going to post it:

JBP posted:

McEnroe: what are they booing

Woodbridge: the prime minister, that's the prime minister

McEnroe: haha ok

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Not often you'd say 4-set epic but that was a loving incredible match.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Tsitsipas wins!!!

Grandpa is going home

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I thought the call in the penultimate point was from the loving crowd again.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Amazing match, Tsitsipas should really go places. Look forward to seeing him on grass this summer, his favourite surface apparently.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Zverev currently having a meltdown and its very entertaining.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Carreno Busta seems to have been screwed out of a match against Nishikori.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Nah, I think the umpire made the right decision cause the linesman's call came exactly as Nishikori's racket connected with the ball, not before. It didn't affect his play at all and Carreno Busta was miles away. The umpire did make a mistake in allowing him to challenge, though, since there was no reason to go to hawkeye if Kei was getting the point either way.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Zverev losing was great. A bit shocking how he couldn't cope with the slices to his bh.

Svitolina went through, maybe she can do something at a slam for once.

The matches I've seen have been great so far.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Looking very ominous for Barty here. Kvitova is just smoking every shot

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Looks like Nadal is gonna get him another Australian win unless his body destroys itself again.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Svitolina predictably melted.

Right now Serena isn't serving or returning well enough to turn it round against the good Pliskova.

e: and Pliskova immediately gets broken back. pfffft.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 23, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Part of me wants Serena to win just so she can lose to Osaka again.

But I’d rather not take the chance and just have Pliskova beat her.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Finally a good result

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I love me some Raonic, but he's like the ultimate anti clutch. Every time I see in in the quarters/etc he's losing to like Tsonga and Isner and whatever a Pouille is (grats for him).

But man, Milos is jusr hard to watch once it gets past the round of 32

Shapovalov will save us right? since Genie just sells Mccain fries now or whatever

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I like the lineup for the men's semifinals. On paper any combination could make a good final but probably for the best if it's either Nadal/Djokovic or Pouille/Tsitsipas just cause an ATG vs a new finalist is the most likely combo to be a dud.

And I really hope Petra wins the whole thing on the women's side.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Looking pretty from above in the summer sun

https://twitter.com/Lensaloft/status/1086870914740891648

https://twitter.com/Lensaloft/status/1087934500942827525

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN posted:

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Four times, Serena Williams was only one point -- a single point -- from closing out a victory in the Australian Open quarterfinals.

On the first such chance, at 5-1, 40-30 in the third set, she turned her left ankle awkwardly. The owner of the best serve in the sport would lose every point she served the rest of the way.

And so it was that a startling reversal and result would follow Wednesday at Melbourne, with Williams dropping the last six games of a 6-4, 4-6, 7-5 loss to No. 7 seed Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic.

jesus christ she stared down 4 match points to Serena loving Williams and pulled it off :stare:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Noted choker Serena Williams.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Puckish Rogue posted:

Noted choker Serena Williams.

She probably had too much gluten leading up to the open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, you got to lay off that gluten man.

Also, go Petra! :dance: