Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

hattersmad posted:

I design/build telecom electronics. Not on that project though.

Space telecom, what an inconsequential occupation. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

LabyaMynora posted:

Some people live life literally spending every cent they have. Nice apartment/condo/house, nice new car, expensive clothes... You wonder how they do it, and then something happens one day and you realize it's because they don't save anything.

Yeah, I obviously don't know all the details about their financial situation, but I do wonder where all their money is going. I'm not talking about the people with kids, I totally understand how this could really gently caress them over, I'm only referring to the people I know that seem to be in similar financial situations to myself. I guess I live a lot more frugally than I thought.

I don't really blame the people who are living paycheck to paycheck though (unless they're making 6 figures), it's rarely entirely their fault. I can survive for a while on what I have saved, but that's assuming I don't run into any large car or medical expenses all of a sudden.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah, I obviously don't know all the details about their financial situation, but I do wonder where all their money is going.

It's cocaine. The answer is always cocaine.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LabyaMynora posted:

It's cocaine. The answer is always cocaine.

Shoes, my wife doesn’t do drugs, shoes is her drugs.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Burt Sexual posted:

Shoes? Does she know about thrift stores? I haven't purchased a pair of 'new shoes' for about...well, I did get some Filas from Ross. TWENTY DOLLARS. And they look like freaking Keds! But all black. No one likes them, but I was proud I bought new ones. Other than that I wear whatever I get, and, yeah, sometimes they don't fit. Sometimes they are falling apart. I make it work. A shoe is a shoe.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Burt Sexual posted:

Since you have a wife and have access to the Wife Network can you confirm that Nooner has a wife?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Genesplicer posted:

What do you do for NASA? I have a former student who works for JPL. She's a manager on the Rover 2020 project.

i had a friend in the JPL during the last shutdown

they said they weren't legally allowed to quit

lol

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
have u tried jerkin it on cam for a few extra dollaroos? hell, i'd chuck in a coupla clams if ya givin it a wiggle

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I feel bad for all of you not getting paid because agent orange's ego is bigger than his dream wall ever will be :smith:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
My sister lives in Bozeman and is paycheck to paycheck. She has a federal job and if she doesn’t get back pay she’d be hosed. I hate her so I’m glad if it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
see, having a criminal record so you can't get a fed job pays off

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
If everyones furloughed why is traffic still butt, it took almost 2 hours to get from ashburn to alexandria on Friday, usually it takes half that

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My wife and her coworkers (state workers) are now voluntarily taking care of US Forest Service and BLM properties in the vicinity so they can keep running. Seems kind of silly though, as there is no one there to collect fees....

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Lol that a ton of Americans have their pays held hostage by a guy trying to force the American people to use their taxes to pay for one of the biggest grifts in history, and some turtle man in the senate is helping him accomplish this because he's probably getting blackmailed. Lmao.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 13, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty gimbal posted:

Lol that a ton of Americans have their pays held hostage by a guy trying to force the American people to use their taxes to pay for one of the biggest grifts in history, and some turtle man in the senate is helping him accomplish this because he's probably getting blackmailed. Lmao.

don't worry Mexico is going to pay for it

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Why do americans let this happen?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's now part of our budget. If we need a few million we just shut everything down.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

I hear the economy's doing really well, try finding a job in the private sector :smugdog:

here's a quote from the_donald, gilded:

quote:

I'll be honest with you, this is one of those things that should be left alone and you shouldn't talk about it. I'm in supervisory position, and everyone has their own stories and problems, including myself, no pay for a 1 or two periods I can survive, but longer than that and me and my family are in trouble. I've been in for 10 years and this is the first time I miss a paycheck due to government shutdown.

Younger folks (Think, E2 through E5) might have a harder time since they are young and starting their careers, or starting new families, becoming new homeowners, etc. This is one issue that this subreddit should leave alone, for real, you are only creating resentment from within the Trump support base.

I am a Trump supporter, and always have been, but getting flak from those who claim to be on my side is pretty hurtful and builds resentment. NOBODY should go without pay, especially when we work for the government and serve this country with pride.

I guess what I'm trying to say. Is gently caress OFF with this bullshit. Anyone at any job would be pissed if they didn't get paid but be required to still go to work, regardless if you have one dollar or one million dollars in your savings account. Don't pay the bank for 30 days and they will send the wolves after you.

...a lot of our folks travel in the coast guard travel as part of their duties and now they are doing it OUT OF POCKET. Marine Safety personnel is constantly traveling to perform boat inspections, and I know first hand people who are filling up the government vehicles out of pocket so they can do their job because the government credit cards are currently frozen. People who get TDY orders or who were TDY for training are on the same boat, paying for the hotels, vehicles, and other travel expenses out of pocket even though its government travel. There is a LOT of misinformation going on in this subreddit which quite honest infuriates me, and the lack of empathy I percieve from fellow americans and supposedly military supporters and patriots, hurts deep, and it also gives ammo to the left.

Lil Devil
Feb 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's pretty pathetic if you can't live your normal life for a month without a paycheck. Particularly if you work for the federal government, given that you're overpaid and have insane benefits. loving plan ahead. Read a loving book on money management. Stop loving whining.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I make less than 30k a year. At least half of the people I work with make less than 40k. Most lower level government jobs pay like poo poo. I could work at my local Target and make almost the same amount. Yeah the benefits are pretty nice but they don’t pay your rent or buy your groceries.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Lil Devil posted:

It's pretty pathetic if you can't live your normal life for a month without a paycheck. Particularly if you work for the federal government, given that you're overpaid and have insane benefits. loving plan ahead. Read a loving book on money management. Stop loving whining.

ahahaha, look at this absolute dumbass piece of poo poo

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Lil Devil posted:

we're gonna need detailed financial statements going all the way back to your early schooling days to determine whether you can say that or not, if you're some trust fund kid gently caress off, but you're going to have to prove that you're not :shrug:

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
tried cam-whoring to fill in the gaps in your budget?

or u could go on craigslist and be like 'hey i'll do weird poo poo for little money or indeed food'

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
he's probably broker than anyone, usually anger like that is self-loathing

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
But wait, my fellow revolutionary comrades, isn't shutting down the gov our goal? Drink and be merry!

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
The VA is still funded in order to support ARE TROOPS, so I can continue living the high life until the department is entirely undermined and disbanded.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

What's with all the stories of schlubs working for free? Like who is that gullible

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm a contractor and I don't even know if I won't get paid. I emailed my boss asking about it and they called me on my cell and told me to stop asking questions like that over government email. I'm just kind of rolling with it and hoping I don't end up getting evicted/fired.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Savage For The Winjun posted:

What's with all the stories of schlubs working for free? Like who is that gullible

That would be people worried about being fired for not showing up and then not even having the job security side of this poo poo sandwich.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Putty posted:

What if you got 20 free dollars every day but you had to take the dollar bills from each pit of a fat sweaty man who now lives with you. He conjures the money.

Aren't these rhetoricals supposed to have a downside

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Hello fellow furloughees. I have nothing to do but play video games, drink, and go to the gym. We're lucky that we have some money in savings and my wife works part time.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone that can get people to work for free is a stable genius. TRUMP 2020 & Beyond!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

i really want the government to end because this is one of the longest benders i've ever been on and I don't think I can sustain it much longer. I have been hammered since christmas eve. When I don't have to go anywhere the next day my brain automatically goes in to "got to get lit, make sure there is more liquor in the house that i can drink without dying and let's get busy" mode.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

yeah I eat rear end posted:

i really want the government to end because this is one of the longest benders i've ever been on and I don't think I can sustain it much longer. I have been hammered since christmas eve. When I don't have to go anywhere the next day my brain automatically goes in to "got to get lit, make sure there is more liquor in the house that i can drink without dying and let's get busy" mode.

Go to the gym. It's definitely helped me drink less during the shutdown.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Oyak posted:

The VA is still funded in order to support ARE TROOPS, so I can continue living the high life until the department is entirely undermined and disbanded.

Hahaha that was good. My friend used to do work with veterans. They reffuse to go to the VA even for any illness. They don't care how cheap it is. Going to the VA is how you die.

its all nice on rice posted:

Seconding. Come back to work built like an ox.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

its all nice on rice posted:

I just moved up here and haven't gotten things set up yet like gym memberships etc. I don't even have my government laptop, so I'm dead weight to my employer and it's only a matter of time before they realize they are paying me to do nothing but read the training material I've read 10 times over and tell me i'm on my own. I won't deny the thought has crossed my mind that maybe if there was a body count to this shutdown it would help it end sooner.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I'm a contractor and I don't even know if I won't get paid. I emailed my boss asking about it and they called me on my cell and told me to stop asking questions like that over government email. I'm just kind of rolling with it and hoping I don't end up getting evicted/fired.

Real talk - if you've been working, you'll get paid. If you haven't been working, you will NOT get backpay. Sorry. I know this because my wife used to be a contractor. Federal employees who are employed directly by the government will get backpay, even if they didn't work, contractors do not if they did not work.

Your boss is an rear end in a top hat for not making this clear to you. My wife's boss made it crystal clear to her.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

LabyaMynora posted:

Real talk - if you've been working, you'll get paid. If you haven't been working, you will NOT get backpay. Sorry. I know this because my wife used to be a contractor. Federal employees who are employed directly by the government will get backpay, even if they didn't work, contractors do not if they did not work.

Your boss is an rear end in a top hat for not making this clear to you. My wife's boss made it crystal clear to her.

I am doing as much work as I can given the fact that I don't have the equipment needed to do my job, but I am usually one of maybe 3-4 people in the office at any given time because I am not eligible to telework yet. It is pretty up in the air how long they are going to pay me for effectively doing nothing, so I am nervous despite receiving a paycheck last week.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fried Watermelon posted:

let it happen? government shutdowns are a proud tradition at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I am doing as much work as I can given the fact that I don't have the equipment needed to do my job, but I am usually one of maybe 3-4 people in the office at any given time because I am not eligible to telework yet. It is pretty up in the air how long they are going to pay me for effectively doing nothing, so I am nervous despite receiving a paycheck last week.

If they having you come into the office, then you're on the clock. You're getting paid.

If you weren't getting paid, you'd be at home.

If they didn't tell you to not come in, and then they didn't pay you, you'd have a hell of a lawsuit.