Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Season 1, Episode 1. Death on the 10th floor.

The ride up is shrouded by an uncomfortable silence, punctuated briefly by Officer Burns rapid fire communique into her radio. Fortunately in less then a minute you arrive at you destination on the 10th Floor. Exiting the elevator leads you into a brightly lit hallway, cooled down to far below the temperature outside. Officer Burns leads the way, turning a nearby corner.

“Just over here” she calls out to you, and the group follows.

The body is a bruised and bloody mess, trailing a thick, dark column of ichor from one of the open office doors. For most of you, the scene is low to middling compared to the sort of thing you've seen before.

Dr. Acker. This is the first time you've been confronted with the fragility of Human life and the brutality of it's end. Give me a Fright Check. If you fail, don't roll on the failure table. Just tell me if you pass or fail the Fright Check.

Burns' partner, Officer Micheal Cash (as she told you before briefly) guards the scene and the only other person on the floor. A young man, probably mid 20's. Well shaven, but with shabby, thrift store clothing. He's steadfastly not looking at body, standing just inside the office with the only other open door on the floor. He pales even more as he sees you round the corner.

“The body belongs to a William Sanford. That's his office the trail is coming out of. The kid is Robert, or Robbie. Didn't get a last name since I had to wait for you in the parking lot; the entire floor is locked via keycard. Only Mr Sanford and Robbie, and a few security guys have keys. They're busy locking the facility down, getting the CCTV ready and finding George Fordham, the owner so to speak. It's like a mix of University facility and corporate lab, the details were a bit shaky.” She scrunches her nose up, confusion or derision, you can't tell.

There's a squawk from her radio and after a bit more chatter, she turns back to you. “Your Captain is commandeering a forensic team to go over the floor, but he says you should go first to highlight any areas of interest. He's also got some ME's coming, and needs to know if you're taking possession of the body or if you're going to leave the autopsy to our precinct.” Taking possession of the body yourselves means having to conduct most of the tests and autopsy on your own time. You could leave it to the police and have their team do it, and they are competent enough for it. However, they aren't Kodiak and won't be looking out for the things you're looking for. Plus, you're already stealing a forensic team. Making them pay for your autopsies might ruffle some feathers.

“Either way, both are about an hour out.” Officer Burns finishes up.

What do you do?

Recruitment thread and first post
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878847#post491275573

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Cyril Hodges HP:10/10 FP:12/12

"I think we'll be taking care of the body," Cyril hurriedly says while moving past the officer and slipping on a pair of gloves. After three years of nothing he'll be damned if he lets someone else take this over. With that said, he heads over to the body and begins checking it over. It'd been a few years since actually looked at a body in the field, but he still knew what he was doing.

Physician 15 and Forensics 15 to check over the body.

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 13, 2019

Mid-Boss
Mar 3, 2013
Beau Boffit HP:10/10 FP:10/10

The body would be in good hands with Cyril. Beau takes a look, frowns, and turns his attention to Robbie, gesturing behind him, to the open office the young man was blocking.

"Robbie, if you don't mind, why don't we take a seat in there? Can you tell me what happened here?"

Empathy (IQ 13) to get a feeling about young Robert

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bryce Mordred (HP: 13/13 - FP: 11/11)

Bryce swaggers in, chewing on a piece of gum. "What's the story, doc?" he says to Cyril, his lips smacking a little. "This guy looks like he was hit by a teleporting car."

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Fordham Centre of Physical Science. 10th Floor

You all hear the snap of the elevator opening. A security guard steps around the corner and starts with little pre-amble, apparently uncaring about the suddenly ballooning population. “We've disabled the key card lock Mr Sanford wanted. Anyone can come and go now, 'cept we've got guards on all the floors now, plus in the elevator. Professor Fordham's in one of the Biolabs and can't exit yet; biohazard procedures. But his team is shutting down the experiment as we speak. He'll be out shortly. Got some bad news though. Sanford wanted the CCTV for this level disabled, so there's nothing to see. All the other levels are working though, plus the one in parking lot. Our Security room is all ready to run you through it, whenever you like.”

Cyril Hodges
Physician 15(+1 Attentive)
Forensics 15(+1 Attentive)

The first thing you notice is that the body is hot. Not just warm, not as if he's only recently died. Hot to the touch. You won't be able to determine a time of death without a deeper analysis at HQ.
Despite the extensive bruising all over the body, you can't readily determine any significant wounds, defensive or otherwise. It's almost too extensive. There's no pattern or anything to identify a probably cause of death.
The bleeding doesn't appear to have come from any wounds, but from Sanfords nose and ears. Head trauma? There's bruising to suggest it. But then again, there is ALOT of bruising. You'll need the lab at HQ to be sure.
Speaking of blood, it's bright. There's a surprising amount of oxygenation for anything more then an hour since bleeding out.
Finally, the pattern seems to indicate that he wasn't dragged by another party, but instead moved himself. Perhaps to escape his attacker? There are no wounds on his back to indicate an assault after he tried to run though.

Beau Boffit
Empathy (IQ) 13

“Su- Sure.” The kid mutters.

Finding a good place to sit, he seems even more tense as he starts to speak. “I just, came up like I usually do you know? Twelve every day, even weekends. That's what he paid for, that's what he got. I got out of the elevator, right, and I turn the corner and I just see Mr Sanford there on the floor!” He jitters and stumbles around his words, trying to get them out to fast. You've usually got a good eye, but you're not reading to much off of the kid right now beyond the obvious. “I came back down- called the cops as soon as I got there. I- I left the body to come let them up. Had to use my keycard. But I didn't touch anything!”

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Rick Keats (HP: 11/11 - FP: 11/11)

A light jingling up the hall heralds the arrival of the team's canine unit. A quick nod to the attending officer, and Keats takes up a squat next to McGriddles. Scritching behind an ear, he nods his head toward the room. "Definitely a mess. I've seen a lot of bodies out there, but not quite like this." Giving the pup a pat on the flank, he releases his grip on the harness. "Check it out, buddy!" Returning to his full height, Rick gives him a moment to set about his work. Getting more than a little close, the belgian malinois' powerful nose begins filtering through the air surrounding everyone in the room. Trotting from person to person, he gives a few sniffs before moving on to the next. Of course, there is the obvious target of the body itself. Rick would like to think that the dog wouldn't try to eat anything, but dogs... well, they're special in many ways.

Giving McGriddles time to do his work, he bites his lip and crosses his arms, looking the scene up and down. Keeping one ear peeled for happenings in the room, he clicks on his flashlight from the corner of the door to the main office and glances around. That trail had to have a source, gross as it may be. He just hopes it doesn't smell as bad as it looks.

Letting McGriddles check the room and everyone in it, and doing a quick search of the office that Sanford stumbled out of. Search 11 for anything obviously out of sorts, and possibly Breath Control 10 to not lose it if things are debilitatingly nasty.

Mid-Boss
Mar 3, 2013

Beau puts a hand on Robbie's shoulder and gives it an encouraging squeeze, a gesture he wasn't confident making given how close he is in age to the young man.

"I'm sorry you had experience that. You were right not to touch anything. A few more questions, if you don't mind.

You come in every day at noon - what do you do for Mr. Sanford? What time does he normally come in?

For that matter, what does Mr. Sanford do here, and more specifically, what had he been working on most recently?

What time did you leave yesterday, and what was Mr Sanford doing at that time?

Is he usually here late?

Any idea why he would want the cameras on this floor off?

Can you tell me anything about the other people who work here?

Is Professor Fordham in charge here? What does he do?"

Mid-Boss fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 15, 2019

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Rick Keats
McGriddles slow trot from person to person goes on with little hitch, mostly giving a short chuff if he gives any response at all. The result? All clean, at least as far bombs and drugs are concerned. The bemused looks from the non-Kodiak members are a small price to pay for the peace of mind in knowing that nothing it about to blow up unexpectedly.

You needn't have worried about McGriddles taking a literally bite of a crime though. A few feet away from the body, he whines and refuses to be tempted any closer. As you pass by the body he does a ridiculous little tap dance on his two front paws that would be cute, if it weren't coming from your superior officer. Not a reaction you're used to seeing. But if there were a bomb, Cyril would have found it in his own investigation of the body. You know your partner well though, and he's anxious.

Still, you follow the trail to the only other open door, which predictably leads to Sanfords office. It's trashed. A bookcase has been knocked to the side, spilling out it's contents to the floor. The desk, which once held an expensive looking computer and numerous executive toys and distractions, has literally been smashed in half. Or maybe torn in half. You're no expert when it comes to differentiating between the two. All you know is, one side of the desk is on one side of the office, and the other side of the desk on the other. There's other miscellaneous damage; smashed windows, a broken coat stand. Refuse strewn all over the floor. There is something significant though. A fairly neat pile (considering the state of everything else) of ripped books, or manuals. Most have ugly, pasty yellow coverings that are alternatively torn off or ripped to shreds. The pages themselves have received a fair amount of ire. But, there are others in the pile that are mostly undamaged. Checking over a few of the pages, it's in a language you don't recognise, and the paper is course and seems brittle to the touch. Despite that feel, it seems quite durable for paper.

Roll a Perception check at +2 for me Rick.

Beau Boffit

Robbie looks comforted by your words, and some of the nervous tension leaves him when McGriddles comes over and chuffs at him. He's still sweating a bit though.

“Yeah, sure. I get it. What do you want to know?”

quote:

You come in every day at noon - what do you do for Mr. Sanford? What time does he normally come in?

“I work at another University in the Library, translating scientific papers from research teams in other countries into English. I'm a bit of a polyglot; I can read, write and speak all the Romance and Germanic languages, though my Frisian and Faroese is spotty. I can also do Catonese, some Mandarin, Russian, Japanese, Farsi, Arabic, a few others...” He shrugs, as if it's no big deal. “This place doesn't have a Humanities department. It's STEMLord Central, so, when they need people from 'the soft sciences' (he says with fingerquotes) they have to trawl around for cast offs. Anyway, he had some stuff he needed to translate. I couldn't recognise it, though some of the structure is familiar. Thing is though, no one out of everyone he asked could recognise it. Buuuuut since I knew so many languages, Mr Sanford thought I would have a good chance of basically takeing a guess at what it was talking about. He was paying me well. $200 a day, easy. He didn't want a lot of people to know though, so I was mostly on my own.”

“Can you give me a sec to get some water?” Taking your generally friendly attitude as consent, he steps out quick, avoids looking at the body, and walks to a side area. There's a little water faucet, like you would see in a school there. Robbie drinks for about 30 seconds before trundling back.

quote:

For that matter, what does Mr. Sanford do here, and more specifically, what had he been working on most recently?

“I don't really know. He must do a lot, because he gave me basically whatever I asked for to help in translating. We didn't really have a chummy relationship. I'd come in at 12 and leave at 5. He'd either give me the money as I was leaving of leave it in an envelop. He left occasionally while I was still here, but... well. The puzzle was more interesting, you know? I got... pretty far into it. They were tech manuals, you know? Like when you buy a car and they give you a manual for maintaining it.”

quote:

What time did you leave yesterday, and what was Mr Sanford doing at that time?

“Same as usual, 5 o'clock on the... no wait. He told me to leave a little earlier yesterday. Like. 16:30? Ish? He was just in his office doing something. I'm just going to get some more water.”

quote:

Is he usually here late?

“It's a bit weird, but there never really was a set time. Sometimes we'd be getting into the elevator at the same time, sometime he'd come in just as I was leaving. There were times, when it looked like he never left and had stayed in all night.”

quote:

Any idea why he would want the cameras on this floor off?
He looks confused. “No. No clue.”

quote:

”Can you tell me anything about the other people who work here?

He shakes his head. “I never met anyone else. Well, I had to speak to a Security guard the first time I came here to get my key card all allocated, and I'd see some of the graduates and whoever else sometimes. But it's not like I knew them or anything.”

quote:

”Is Professor Fordham in charge here? What does he do?"

“Well it's his name on the building, but Sanford never said anything about him.”

Beau, Robbie has gotten a lot less tense, and you think you can get a better read now. You can make an Empathy or Body Language roll at +3 if you like.

Mid-Boss
Mar 3, 2013

Empathy 13+3 @Mid-Boss: 3d6 = (4+6+6) = 16 |Pass!| Robbie is still a bundle of nerves, sweating a little even in the cold, but from what you can feel out he's been honest with you. He's a little worried even now, most likely about the future.

"Thanks, Robbie. Hey, this is going to sound weird, but frankly, Kodiak could use someone with your skills. I can't really make the decision, but I could put a good word in with the boss. From what you've told me, If nothing else, I'm sure you'd be a big help to our investigation here. Think about it. In the mean time, I have to admit you've piqued my interest - technical manuals in a language no one recognizes? I gotta know more."

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

There's a very fine difference between a whine of excitement, a whine of frustration, and a whine of anxiety, and the presence of the latter along with that weird tippy-tap is enough to draw Rick's attention away for a moment. Flicking on the lights as he returns to the doorway, he pats his leg. "Here, bud." As the pup trots over, he makes sure to give him a rub between the ears before indicating into the room. "Looks like that's a possible trace of some sort of drug, but with a look like that, I figure a toxicology report was a little more than a foregone conclusion."

Turning back to the office proper, he takes a closer look at things with the lights on. "Looks like someone must have hulked out here. This desk is all sorts of shredded." The place was thoroughly trashed, but this didn't seem like a fight. Perhaps hulking out was an apt term, given the strangeness of the body, the items in the room, and McGriddles' hit on possible drugs. Meth can do strange things to a person. Turning the pup loose to do a quick case on the place, Rick nudges one of the books with his shoe, kneeling to take a closer look at the contents without actual skin-on-object contact. He wasn't sure he had even seen those types of linguistic characters and geometric symbols before, but he had an idea as to who might have.

"Hey, Doc Acker? Can I see you in here for a moment? Got some text here I can't quite wrap my head around."

In the meantime, he wanted to confirm a suspicion - was this rage, or was it a fight? Some of these books were pretty thick, and the apparent ease in which they were torn in half was surprising. You know, besides the desk being shredded in half. Broken glass could have come from multiple causes, but if the rage hypothesis was correct, it was likely a matter of the Good Doctor flinging things aside as they searched and/or destroyed. Still, anything that is or was in this room is part of the crime scene, and it wouldn't be the first time a valuable piece of evidence was missed because it was quite simply thrown aside.

"Brycie, can you get the officers to check the sidewalks and streets under these windows here? Got some busted glass and want to make sure we're not missing any evidence."

Search 11 (+2 per GM) for looking for signs of a struggle, with McGriddles searching the room for further evidence of explosives/drugs.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Sorry to take so long; given that I just rolled a 15 on my fright check, I guess it just took me a while to process seeing a corpse for the first time. I'll make a proper post soon, when I've had chance to actually read the whole thread.

Dice Log

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

There's a squawk from the security guards radio. He presses it to his ear, sighs, and says “Send her up then, the Detectives are alrea-”

The elevator opens with a hiss, and a woman in a business suit steps out. She's blonde, with hair that comes down to here shoulders. Severe in the extreme, but immaculate. Her pale cream dress makes it so she almost blends into the hallway.

“Miss Anderson.” The security guard nods, nervous himself for the first time.

She strides past him into the hallway, and takes one look at Sanfords corpse.

“drat.” Is all she says before looking around for the others. “Who's in charge here?” She demands.

Bryce Mordred
Self-Control Check 12 = (5+1+6) = 12

Bryce just manages to avoid elbowing anyone out of the way to claim first dibs, but manage it he does.

Beau Boffit

“Oh... well, I do need a new job now that...” He shudders a little. “Anyway, I don't know what to tell you. I know they were tech stuff because they had diagrams, tables and stuff. Didn't recognise anything in there, couldn't read them. It used our same notation for numbers, at least. I don't know what more else I can say about them.” He looks like he's struggling to say more, but the hiss of the elavator saves him from having to repear himself.

Rick Keats

You change your mind. It's not a neat pile of shredded paper, it's two not quite as neat piles really close together. All the documents and pages are damaged to some extent but when you clear away one bump, toward the bottom of the pile it looks as if the paper has been meticulously shredded; you find nothing bigger then centimetre square confetti. The destruction gets less and less meticulous toward the top of that pile, almost as if whoever was doing it got bored or frustrated with their task. The other small lump of documents, while damaged, did not suffer to the extent that the destruction makes it impossible to recreate. In fact, there are even a couple that, at most, have their covers torn off. These are the ones you hand over to Dr Acker.

You also find slight blood spatter on a few of the uppermost pages. You also find it in a few other odd places. The nearby wall, the ceiling, on the doorknob (This one McGriddles finds) and around the bookcase. You're no Forensic Pathologist though, and you can't make out a pattern or an indication of an assault from these.

The bookcase does lead you to settle on what you think is the start of the trail. Whatever happened, you can be sure that at some point, something human sized was thrown (or punched, or pushed, or kicked) into the bookcase with enough force to break the thing, and make a hole in the dry wall on the other side. Unless Sanford threw himself into the bookcase, butt and back first, but that's extremely unlikely. There are also small drips and drabs of bright blood, leading from the bookcase to the door. It doesn't look like the bleeding got really bad until Sanford got on the other side though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Absorbed in his examination, Cyril doesnt even notice the entrance of someone else. "Someone sure was determined, it seems," he mutters to himself, seeing the extensive and overlapping bruising. He shuffles his way alongside the blood, following into the office where, with the help of Rick, he attempts to determine what he can about the attack.

Forensics 15 and Search 13

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

With a little more pep in his step than is probably necessary, Bryce slides past the heavily occupied Cyril and extends a hand to the woman. "Bryce Mordred, Task Force Kodiak!" He's smiling. He probably shouldn't be.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Dr. Van Acker (HP: 9/9 - FP: 9/9)

Dr. Van Acker shakes himself out of his reverie as he hears a new voice.

"Indeed, as my excitable companion has said, we are from Kodiak. How may we help you, mademoiselle..." he pauses to allow the newcomer to provide a name.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

The newcomer eyes Bryce and Dr. Van for a moment before settling on the good Doctor.

Impulsive = (5+2+4) = 11 Pass

Bryce just manages to hold himself back from saying anything else to try and grab attention.

“Barbara Anderson.” She doesn't hold out her hand. “I work for 'Day Tech Industries'. We own the building. Mr Sanderson was one of our employees.” She tilts her head slightly to get another look at the body. She shakes her head, before reaching into a pocket. Pulling out a phone, she speed dials a number and walks away. The only thing you hear as she strides off is “He's dead. I've just seen the body. What do we do-” and then she's to far away.

The security guard quickly says. “She's going to be riding my rear end if I stay here. The security office is on the first floor, you can't miss it. They've got the CCTV for the rest of the building and parking lot waiting for you.” He lopes off, back down again in the Ipod like elevator.

Rick Keats and Cyril Hodges

Forensics 15 = (6+6+2) = 14
Search 13 = (5+6+5) = 16

That's definitely the impact of a body on the wall, again though nothing else is conclusive. The blood flow is only a trickle by this point in the timeline you can establish. However, you can guess with quite a bit of certainty that the rest of the destruction happened before Sanderson was thrown into the bookcase; that was the last thing to have happened before he left the room and died in the hallway. Aside from that, and the books though, you can't find anything else. You both decide to leave the room for now, surviving books in hand for Dr Acker.

Bryce Mordred and Dr. Van Acker

You see Rick and Cyril leave the office, a couple of books in hand. Rick hands them off to Acker, explaining the details of what's inside.

Maths 13 = (3+3+5) = 11
Astronomy (13+2) = (3+3+1) = 7

Hmm. Hmmmmmmm. Much of the stuff is gibberish. Very little markers to grab on to and with the language barrier you've got nowhere to even start with. You're flipping though the last book close to the end, when something jumps out of you though. It's been a while since you've seen it, and it was never you're main area of expertise, but you're certain this particular graph is Delta-v, or change in velocity. An important part of the dynamics of rocket flight in space. You turn the page and... the hell?

Armstrong??? One of the first men in space Neil Armstrong?????

Everyone
Miss Anderson comes striding back suddenly. If she looks shocked at your groups multiplication, she doesn't show it.

Reaching into a pocket, she pulls out a paper and a key. “This is Sandersons home address and a key. And this” she reaches back into it. “Is my number. Any enquiries the police have will go directly through me, thank you. I have 10 minutes to spare now.” She waits expectantly.

Mid-Boss
Mar 3, 2013

Beau steps into the hall, taps Dr. Acker on the shoulder and points a thumb back over his own.

"If you're planning on puzzling out those books, Robbie in there is a linguist. Might be able to help." Beau shrugs.

He mentally prepares himself for hours of staring at cctv footage and says to the group, "I'm going to go downstairs and find out who's been in and out of the building, if anyone wants to help. Just don't leave without me."

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

At the mention of his name, Robbie looks over. "Hey yeah, those are the books he wanted me to try and look at! But, I didn't get very far, couldn't recognise the alphabet."

Miss Anderson inspects the books. "Are they relavent to your investigation? If not, I will have to ask for the company property returned to me, thank you very much."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

With such an extensive beating, it was quite possible that the attacker might have gotten blood on their person, and tracked it elsewhere. "I'm going to check the halls, elevators, and staircases for possible blood trails. Agent Keats, do you and your companion wish to join me?"

Forensics 15 and/or Search 13 to try to find a possible blood trail to see which way the killer exited.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Dr. Van Acker (HP: 9/9 - FP: 9/9)

"Everything in this office is potentially relevant to our investigation, Mademoiselle Anderson," the doctor says bluntly. "That Monsieur Sanford died so violently in a secure office is telling is it not? It rather limits the number of possible suspects - and of possible motives."

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Frowning slightly, Rick crosses his arms again, a little frustrated. "Not much to go on trail-wise..." Leaning toward one of the broken windows, he glances down to the street below, checking for anything obvious before heading back with Cyril. "Pretty sure whoever did this likely kept everything on them. What do you say we head to the security office while we check through, maybe get a look at that CCTV footage?"

Was there anything obviously *not* disheveled in the office?
Search 11

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bryce jerks a thumb at Dr. Van Acker. "Doc is right. We don't know what could have caused someone to come in here and tear up the place and kill Sanford. Could have been those books."

He looks at Robbie. "Actually, we might want you to help us figure out just what that text is. What say the rest of you guys? Bring him back to HQ?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Dr Van Acker

Miss Anderson stares at you, her left eyebrow raised. After being made to feel like a schoolboy for nearly half a minute, the eyebrow lowers.

“Very well. Though if they are relevant property of the corporation I will have to ask them be returned as soon as they are no longer required for the investigation. Any other questions?”

When none are forthcoming, she nods swiftly to herself. “Very well. You have my number. Contact me should you require anything on our end. Good day.” And she's off. One more person fed the the elevator's hiss.

Cyril Hodge, Rick Keats, Bryce Mordred.

Robbie shrugs. “Don't know what to tell you guys. I've been looking at them for a month now, every day of the week, 5 hours a day, and I only barely got the basic out of them. The language is like nothing on earth.” He thinks, shrugs, and continues. “Buuuuut, if you're going to keep paying me to look at them, I won't say no.

“There is one thing then. My notes should still be around here, I worked in that office just over there.” He points to the room straight across from the corpse. “I'll erm. I'll just get a drink and join you.” He trots off to the nearby water fountain, steeling his nerve and sweating slightly.

Surveying the room you enter, the whole thing is quite bear. Like a lecture hall stripped of everything but the chair and desks. On a central table lies a box filled with notepads and post stick notes. Robbie quickly joins you, a bit shaken. He heads over to the box and examines them quickly. “It looks like they're all here. Erm, if I'm still working on these, can I get some help moving them?” Bryce offers to help move them to the car as Rick and Cyril give the floor a once over. He ends up carrying most of them as Robbie runs off quickly to get another sip of water.

Cyril
Forensic 15 = (2+5+4) = 11
Search 13 = (5+3+3) = 11

Rick
Search 11 = (4+6+3) = 13
You may have failed the roll, but there's nothing really left to find in the office anyway, so no worries either way.

You spend about half an hour going over the entire floor, McGriddles trailing behind. You don't find much, but that is quite telling. From the top.

One final look at Sandersons office. And yep, everything is disturbed in some way. Everything. The big, obvious damage is there sure, but there are also little things. The lamp shade has a singular hole punched in it, like from a pen. Photographs have been moved so they're slightly askew. Pen and pencil tips have been broken off. Not a single item in Sandersons office has been spared from destruction, even if that destruction is incredibly minor. Cyril also gives one final look at the window. Glass patterns are indeterminate, but there is glass scattered on the floor of the office.

McGriddles and Rick soon leave but they leave Cyril to carry on the search. And there's nada. Naught. Zip. No other trail of blood on this floor. You also learn that the staircases have been maglocked since Sanderson claimed the floor. You learn from the two cops that Security keeps a log of it's activation and it hasn't been turned off once. Even so, CCTV is apparently in the stairwell. If they got around it somehow, it should show there.

Other then that, the only thing of note is the absence of stuff. This is essentially a classroom floor. Most every room is in fact either a class room or lecture room, aside from a few offices for staff. They should have computers and other electronics up here, you can see dust imprints of where they should have been. Despite that, it's been stripped of most everything electronic. During Cyril's search the ME's arrived. He reminds them of Kodiaks address, hitching a ride down in the elevator with them.

Fordham Centre of Physical Science. Security Room

Beau Boffit, Rick Keats

The fabled security room, house of CCTV and other wonders. Three guards monitor the active cameras and a fourth waits to give you both a run down of security.

“Okay, so. This place is a bit of a mixed bag in what we do, so let me explain just quickly. This place isn't quite a University, it's more like... apprenticeships? But instead of 1 on 1 it's like 10 to 15 hand picked students. Top level science people hand pick top level graduates to learn at their hand and so on. Since Day Tech bought the place, it's also a way for them to head hunt those same top level graduates for their in house stuff. Outside of that, we also lease out a lot of space, either to Day Tech projects, or to other universities. We have a lot of top of the line lab tech that other places just can't get their hands on.”

“The Fordham centre goes 10 floors up and 4 floors down. The bottom 4 floors are all labs, Biological or Chemical, with the last 2 being sealed for particularly hazardous poo poo. They also have twice the floor space for some reason. Quirk of New York City building codes.” He shrugs. “Ground floor up to the 4th are minor labs and physics stuff. Every floor above that are class rooms of some variety, except 9 and 10. Those are computer labs. Every floor has CCTV, and so does the stairwell. Basements 3 and 4 have their security room inside the seal. It's all very wink, wink, nudge, nudge sign these NDA's. None of us get in without extreme vetting. The parking lot has some as well. All the doors for the stairwell are mag locked. Deactivated in the day but turned on at night for extra security. Except for floor 10; Sanderson wanted it seald. Only way to open that one up would have been an emergency or the security deactivating it. No, neither happened last night. The guys who were on then had already gone home, but I've got their names and addresses for you.” He hands them over and draws you both to a row of screens. “This is the footage from noonish yesterday to noonish today.”

The footage starts with Robbie waltzing in. He enters the elevator. The footage on the screen speeds fast forward until it hits 17:04.
Robbie walks out of the elevator with Mr Sanderson. They shake hands and they both walk off in different directions.
Half an hour later Sanderson comes back, some fast food in a bag.
The footage stops and starts for the next few hours as students and guard patrols jog it in and out of fast forwarding.
Around 19:30 it evens out and enters a continuous fast forward.
At 22:00 exactly, Sanderson exits the elevator, and heads to the parking lot.
At 22:10, a van pulls up. A woman gets out. She towers over Sanderson at around 6 feet tall. Black, with shiny blonde hair, you can't make out much more detail. What you can make out though, is her handing over 2 or 3 yellow bound books.
They both return inside and enter the elevator together.
At 01:14 the pair exit the elevator again. Under each arm, the woman carries a box. They look full of equipment. The woman leaves straight to her van. Sanderson returns to the elavator.
Fast forwarding resumes, until the morning when students start to stream in.
At close to 12:00 on the dot Robbie comes back in. He enters the elevator like yesterday.
At 12:02 you see him again, shaking, sweating, phone in hand. Even without sound you can hear his desperation. He must have just found the body.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bryce furrows his brow at the footage. "No other way in there? You don't meant to tell me what's in those boxes killed him."

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

As McGriddles stretches to place his paws on the counter, Rick scratches the back of his head as he looks over the footage. "I assume she's a sort of regular around here? Shows up at the same time to drop off the same things? How about a license plate? Anything we can - Hey, c'mon, you know you aren't supposed to eat that!" Grabbing the harness just before the pup attempts to eat a half-bitten donut, he clears his throat. "Sorry about that. Anything we can cross-check? Perhaps check with Barbara to see if they're part of the same corporation?"

Leaning forward, he quirks his head to the side. "While we're at it, have we seen the Good Doctor leaving his place outside of these meetings? Maybe making a trip to the basement or something? Maybe check across the elevator exit cameras to see if he's spotted anywhere?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Beau Boffit, Rick Keats Bryce Mordred.

He laughs. “Ah let him. We get loads, great little place 5 minute walk from here. The BEST donuts.”

The guard shrugs at Bryce's question. “Might have been a suicide? I dunno what to tell you, sorry.” He taps at the keyboard in front of him, causing the CCTV footage to shrink. The space is taken up by a number of diagrams. “Everyone, unless they're a guest, carries a card that let's them traverse the floors, and every usage of their card's is logged here. As we can see here, Sanderson, for the last month or so, only ever went to the ground floor and the 10th floor.” He turns to you both. “The stairwell doesn't need a card to access, but you can only access the bottom 2 labs via the elevator. Well, that and the back garage, but that's for bulk stuff. Chemical transport, evac in the event of a spill. Plus, CCTV is on every level of the stairwell. Also plus, locked after 19:00.”

He taps some more and more diagrams appear. A higher definition picture of the woman is bought up. You realise she's not blonde, at least not quite. It's more a very light grey. Almost white even.

“She IS a regular. Usually here every few nights.”

He turns to you both conspiratorially. “Okay, look. You didn't hear this from me, but Sanderson basically went out of his way to hide her as much as possible. Not to the point where it would be impossible to find; but still, weirdly keen on not letting anyone know. Like, he was basically in charge around here. Lead Administrator, all that jazz. He got several classes kicked out and took their entire whole floor to himself. He got that kid of his an access key card. No one else, who isn't a staff member or student, gets a card of their own. But Sanderson got one for him, and he could have got one for her if he really wanted. But that would mean an official name, an official title, an official picture on record. To much official stuff for his liking. No name for her was given, and we have a list of names and faces of Day Tech employees and she wasn't one of them. To be honest, we figured she was a good time girl, at first.”

“Nooooow. I don't think the car's will be to helpful.” Some more tapping, some more footage. It's the woman, the footage flashes through various nights. From when she presumably starting visiting till last night. Every night in the car park, she arrives in a different vehicle.

“I'll give you a print out with the full list no problem, but I doubt it will get you anywhere.”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bryce gapes a little. He looks back in the direction of Sanderson's corpse and the completely destroyed office, then back at the security guard. "A suicide? From what, an indoor car crash?"

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 23, 2019

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

The security guard shrugs.

"You're the cops. Figuring it out is your job. All I can tell you is that he didn't leave that floor; the only people who went up there through the lift were the woman, who went with him, and the kid, who had his own card. If someone else got up there they didn't go up the lift or up the stairwell."

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

"Every bit helps; even if it ultimately leads nowhere, it can help establish a pattern." Idly shuffling through McGriddles' pack, he finds a stress relief toy, a big rubber bone, and bounces it on the ground to keep the pup occupied. Looking back over the video, Rick tries to notice some of the more minute details - did she always have boxes with her? Was her timing consistent? If there were variances, were there any times when she and Robbie were at the facility at the same time? Did the deceased look particularly nervous, or was there any shift in body language? Were there any cameras of the exterior of the building, in particular where those windows were? It was looking for a needle in a haystack, but due diligence was certainly important.

Body Language 11 to check both the lady and the doctor over time for signs of fear, aggression, dread, etc.

Mid-Boss
Mar 3, 2013

"Definitely get us those license plates. If they're company cars she's driving, we might be able to find out where she works. If they're all rentals, well, at least that's something." Beau rubs his chin thoughtfully. "How many days of footage do you have archived? I want to see more of her." He purses his lips. "Perp didn't take the stairs or elevator. Is there roof access somewhere? Maybe a fire escape?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

In response to your questions, the guard waves you over. He loads up the various recorded footage for the nights she visited and explains to you how to work the computer. The you're let off the leash to investigate on your own.

“We do have some cameras down by the secure garage. Technically you can only use it to move bulk stuff to the labs. Chemicals, new equipment that sort of thing. Otherwise, we've got the regular parking lots, each floor and the stairwell.”

He grabs a print out and hands it to Beau.

“Here you go, that's all of them. All of them that parked in the lot anyway. There's no fire escape, it's all handled by the stairwell. If this place got hit by a bomb, the stairwell would still be standing. Built to outlast us all. There is a roof access, again accessed by elavator. Unless they climbed though, no one would be able to get through there. Or through a window. Or hey, maybe they flew?”

With that, Rick gets to looking. There's little consistency to her visits; she's always in when everyone else is gone. Be that 22:00 or 02:00 in the morning. There's also little consistency to her stays. Sometimes all she does is drop something off to Sanderson, sometimes she goes up and doesn't return for a few hours. When she does go up though, she's almost always carrying stuff out with her.]

Body Language 11 = (3+6+3) = 12 .
+1 to the skill for concentration, making it a pass.

For the woman's part, you get the distinct sense that she doesn't really want to be there. This is a business meeting, if anything. They're not old friends by any means

There's a shift, over time. Sanderson is eager... almost greedy? In the beginning at least. He always greeting the woman happily, there's no sense of nerves or fear. He wants to do this wholeheartedly. But within the last 6 or 7 days, there's a growing frustration. Whatever happened, he's getting angry. It doesn't look like he's angry at her though.

??? = (1+5+4) = 10
??? ??? !!!

You get the feeling, that if you just kept looking, you might see something. There's something you're missing between the two of them, but you can't put your finger on it. But you want to. Maybe if you keep looking? You get the feeling, that if you just kept looking, you mig-

You hear a growl and turn around. McGriddles has completely abandoned his stress toy and is looking right at you. Teeth bared in a grim rictus you've never seen on your partner before, a sound like Harley coming deep from his throat. McGriddles looks coiled to pounce at someone at any moment, and the security guards are very slowly edging towards their tazers.

The moment he sees Rick looking at him though, he calms down almost immediately. Rick has a slight headache.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Rick....." Bryce backs up slowly.

"Is that normal?"

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

It's right on the tip of his brain. So close to making sense. If he could just... devvvoootttee a little more brainpower he could-

McGriddles - something was wrong. Snapped out of his reverie, Rick is hit with a slight migraine that feels centered behind his left eye. Pressing the meat of his palm against it, he grunts. "Mmn... What?" Wincing as he kneels to check on his partner, reaching out to rub his face, he shakes his head. "That sort of reaction usually happens when there's a threat of some sort. I've been in firefights with him, though, and never seen him like that." Standing up, he rubs his temple. "Any chance we can turn the lights down a little? We're going to need a copy of all of that video. And someone else to review it."

Animal Handling(Dogs) 12 if necessary.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 23, 2019

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Animal Handling: Automatic Success

Rick's boss is clearly, or at least was clearly, anxious about something. Whatever he was anxious about isn't around any more, but McGriddles is clearly ready to strike when whatever it is does make it's reappearance.

His calm though, doesn't extend to the rest of the security room. The guard you've been speaking to pipes up.

“Yeah sure. We'll get you your video. But. I think.” He goes over the words slowly. “That you and the dog, should probabl-” there's a squawk from his walkie-talkie. “Ah hell.”

He stride to a nearby console and speaks. “10-4, pit. This is top side. Go 'head.”

A tinny voice returns. “Top side, we've got Prof making his way upstairs on the go-lift with a package and some hangers on. Need your say-so to open up.”

“Package is?”

“None of your business Phil, you're not on pit duty this week; no pit means no NDA's. You know the rules.” the voice returns, chuckling.

“Prof on screen. Authorising now.” The security guard, 'Phil', finishes. On the same screen you can see an older gentleman, with balding hair and a lab coat, pushing a covered trolley, along with what looks like 3 grad students. They load the trolley up onto a waiting van, and with Phils authorising the garage doors opening, they zoom out at a fast enough speed that if you were actually cops you could probably ticket them.

“Okay, well. Fordham is no longer on the premises right now. So, if you wanted to chat to him you'd need to either track him down through head office or wait for him to come back.” Phil says, not quite forgetting McGriddles episode earlier.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Rick nods, taking hold of McGriddles' harness. "Copy that. I'll head on out and give him some running room. Maybe he's pent up or something." It clearly wasn't the case, but there needed to be at least some statement about it. "Hit me on the radio if you guys need a hand with anything. I'm going to let the pup blow off some steam."

Rubbing a temple as he steps out, he waits until they hit the parking lot before grabbing a seat against the corner of the building and pulling McGriddles into a hug, making sure to give some of the best scritchin's. "Everything ok, boy? Got me worried back there." Rubbing that schnoz, he reaches into McGriddles' harness and grabs a snack for him.

Animal Empathy to try and gauge his mood and reactions.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Outside the Fordham Centre
Rick Keats

Animal Empathy 12 = (1+5+5) = 11

Anyone would think this was McGriddles taking you walkies! Well, if they knew him as well as you do. He's clearly still anxious, but anxious about you. As if he can sense something, or, maybe as if he DID sense something.

But anyway, your walk. You quickly get yourself around to the side of the building that had Sandersons office. You can see the broken window from down here just about. It doesn't take long to find some janitors; looks like no one told them not to clean up. But, even with all the spare time theyhad, it's easy to see the odd bits of glass here and there. No doubt it came from the office window.

Everyone

All this staying in one place is getting you antsy and heavy lidded. You might be able to eke a bit more out here, but you're probably better off moving to greener pastures.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Sufficiently worked out for the day, you're motley group, plus a hanger on, pile into your nondescript vehicle and make your way out. So tired are you by the days events you don't even stop for coffee!

Kodiak HQ. Office Section.
Everyone

“Uh huh. Uh huh. Nuh uh. Uh huh”. You arrive half an hour or so later. One of you took it upon yourself to inform Captain Lee on your way over, and he in turn looks to be carrying out some of his tasks. “Uh huh. Yep. Yep. Uh huh. Nope. Yep. Right. Gotcha.”

He puts the phone down and first attends to your guest. “You the book translating guy? Head over to one of those offices and get to it. Close the door; official business going on here.” Robbie, a little put out, a little nervous and sweaty dutifully heads off with his box without a word.

Door closed, your Captain turns to the rest of you.

“Okay, so. First official assignment. We have some positives and negatives to go over. First; $200 a loving a day? Are you kidding me?” There's no anger in his voice, more exasperation. “It can be swung, sure. But do NOT make a habit of this guys. I can only cook the books so much, before it actually looks like I'm cooking the books.”

He gets out a slip of paper and continues to read. “Erm-kay. Right, Two; bodies downstairs in the morgue for whenever you're ready. Three, Police Forensic have done a preliminary. Haven't found much more then you did. They'll tell us if they find something interesting. Four, the Fordham guys are sending everything they can from the CCTV over for the last week. Edited and unedited. They said you'll know what they mean. Also they're not sending anything over from “the pit”?” He looks at the paper quizzically, then shrugs.

“Errrm, ugh. Five, the Mayor would like to “congratulate” us on picking up our first possible Kodiak related case, and wants to remind us that he will be reading our reports “with extreme interest”. Don't screw this up guys.” He warns.

“Last, that was Traffic I was on the line with; we just went over all the license plates. So, all of them except the van belong to private owners. 4 have been reported stolen at some point in the last month. I say at some point, because they almost always reappeared. One really OCD guy reported that someone had been joyriding in his car when he noticed his gas was down from when he used it the day previous. One lady reported her car had been parallel parked 'the wrong way round'. There is one report of a car being stolen, and then being returned 3 days later. Witnesses report a 'tall, black woman with gray hair.' driving the vehicle. Traffic will do their thing and get back to us with more; you want to send them a message give it to me. The van was bought 2 days ago in a fully legal sale. Again, Traffic will send someone to the seller to get a description of the buyer.”

“The other important thing to note, is that the van was last seen last night, heading toward New Jersey on the Highway. Timing suggests it was immediately after the meeting between the driver and the victim. I don't have much pull down Jersey way, but I know guys that do. They'll do what they can to get what we need, but for now that lead is dead for us. Concentrate on what we have got.”

“So, what have we got?”

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

"Well, at the very least we now have some charges on that lady. So much for a legit organization. Any chance we can check with Traffic and see if the next most recent car has been returned yet? If possible, I'd like Forensics to try and get some prints and DNA so that we can find out who we're dealing with. Hair and fiber samples would be most likely, though there may possibly be a fingerprint or two if the car hasn't been washed yet. Might also be worth checking the title on the sold van, though I doubt it's processed yet. I assume the New Jersey Troopers are on the lookout for the plates, right? As for "The Pit," it seems that they have some pretty confidential research happening in the basements. We didn't have any probable cause, so we weren't really able to subpoena the camera footage."

Rubbing his temple as the fading headache acts as a reminder, he continues. "It looks like there was a struggle, but the body was a bit too mangled to get much. Hopefully an autopsy/tox screen will get us some more info. Weird coagulation and blood, though - looked way too oxygen rich. As for young Robbie, he's piecing together the bits and pieces left over from what the good Doctor was working on. He was clearly enraged/frustrated toward the end. As for the video, there was an... incident during the review."

Clearing his throat, he looks a little nervous. "If it's ok, I know it's going to sound really weird, but I'd like to experiment with something. I don't know anything about the radius of this, but something strange happened as I was looking over some of the video. McGriddles had a reaction and I received a headache. Something not quite right's happening there, so I'd like to give the review another shot under personal isolation with observation and with McGriddles sedated back at the kennels. Full spectrum video, IR, thermal, UV, etcetera, at multiple angles. I don't mind being the guineapig, but I want to make sure nobody else is affected."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"As far as the victim goes, he was severely beaten, but no obvious signs of significant wounds that would lead to death. Brain trauma seems most likely, but I'll know more once he's under the knife. I'll have to check out the blood issue as well," Cyril says, trailing off as he ponders. After a moment of silence, he shakes his head. "In any case, I'll begin, assuming I am not needed here?" Despite his questioning tone, Cyril has already begun to exit the room, eager to get to work on his first real case for Kodiak.

Possible applicable skills: Surgery 13, Physician 15, Forensics 14 for performing an autopsy. Biology 13, Chemistry 13, and Pharmacy 14 for checking out the blood. +1 to all of those for Attentive, possible more bonuses from equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Kodiak HQ
Everyone

“Uh huh, full spectrum, right. IR, of course, mm hmm. Multiple angles, of course... So, just this stuff?” The Captain asks, handing you a note.

The Captains Note posted:

UNJUSTIFIABLE EXPENSES!!!

“I tell you the Mayors on our asses and you want to play science experiment?”

He sighs in frustration.

“Look, do want you want to do, whenever you want. Just as long as whenever you want is not company time. Because company time is get your asses in gear time. So, wait for tonight if your so eager, but right now, you've got actual stuff to do. And in the meantime? One word.”

He points to you dramatically and simply states.

“Aspirin.”

With another mighty finger he points to McGriddles.

“Muzzle.”

His experiment with theatrics over, he continues stiffly.

“And I better not see any of this stuff on the monthly expense reports. It comes out of your own wages this time.”

Not that that will be a problem for any of you. All of you are paid quite handsomely for what was essentially sitting around on your asses.

“I'll speak to some friendly Judges, or some Judges that owe the Mayor a favour; same thing. Subpoenas and Warrants won't be as hard for me to get ahold of compared to when I was still Police. Hell, if you think “The Pit” whatever the hell it is is worth investigating... well, forgiveness is easier to get then permission if you know what I mean. Especially if you don't get caught. Just, don't let it be a habit and don't make any boneheaded choices. You go breaking into museums to try and solve this murder no one will be able to help any of you.”

“Anyway, Traffic cops are handling all that business. The most recent vehicle wasn't reported stolen so chances are the owner didn't notice it missing. If there is stuff to find though, it'll be found. And yep, Jersey boys are looking, but I'm sure you know what they're like.” You probably don't, most of you not having been in the force or not in it for very long, but you all nod along anyway.

Kodiak Morgue
Cyril Hodges

Sometime during the Captains long speech you sidled out. Talk is cheap and there's been way to much of it recently. Right now there's a body that need you ministrations.

Because of your skill level, the quality of the lab, and other factors, most of your rolls are automatic successes. When we get to something that does need a roll, I'll put them here.

With the former Mr Sanderson in front of you, there are some quick and easy observations you make.

1, He's lost a lot of weight in recent weeks. At least 24 pounds; all of the clothes he was bought in in are several sizes to big, and there are faint signs of malnutrition that you can make out, based on fingernails and teeth and so on.
2, Outside of all the obvious bruises, there are a few that are quite distinct. One on the back, indicative of impacting a wall, likely proving that it was Sandersons flying body that broke the bookcases. Another on the front that you can't recognise the cause of, because of it's distinctiveness; as far as you can make out, a perfectly spherical object moving at some speed hit Sanderson just around the lower left rib cage, shattering the bones but not penetrating the skin. The cause of Sandersons flying body? Not of the bruises make much sense, except some on the forearms. You manage to pull some splinters out of those. Further checks reveal them to be from the desk. Looks like he smashed it himself.
3, your thermometer puts him at about 60 Celsius (140 Fahrenheit). That makes sense for a man put in an oven for some time, not a man that's been dead for a few hours. You can't really estimate a time of death because of this, but he would have been even hotter a few hours ago.

Moving on, you make quick work of the usual checks and procedures. Your skills have not been dulled with time thankfully and your as skilled now as you were 3 years ago.

You figure out the cause of most of the bruises and the large blood trail. You can't tell for certain, but at the time of his death Sanderson has about 2 pints more blood in him then the average human, somehow. This massive increase caused a huge amount of blood pressure, which in turned caused lot's of internal damage. Most of these bruises are not from an external impact, they're from the blood vessels bursting under intense pressure (granted, this was likely exacerbated by Sanderson nearly being put through a wall.) The blood also has a... unique make up. There are far less white blood cells and platelets then in a normal persons blood, Sandersons being made up almost exclusively of plasma and red blood cells.

The rest of the damage you catalogue can be put down to this major fact. Extensive damage to almost all organs is a matter of course, but...

Biology (Modified by Chemistry/Pharmacy) 13+2 = (4+5+2) = 11

Brain chemistry is all wrong, even for a man that was cooking for god knows how long and who had more blood then a blood bank. Acetylcholine (Learning) and Glutamate (Memory) are through the roof, while everything else but Serotonin are at relatively normal levels, given the damage. When it comes to Serotonin, the only way to describe it is “dangerously low”.

You might get more with a more thorough analysis, but it will be hard to make any more determinations over the extensive pressure and heat damage.