Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bryce Mordred (HP: 13/13 - FP: 11/11)

Once the captain walks away, Bryce turns to the rest of the force. He's got a look on his face that suggests he's gotten an absolutely terrible idea.

"Easier to ask forgiveness than permission, he said? Sounds like a go-ahead to me. Who wants to make a nighttime visit?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Rick Keats (HP: 11/11 - FP: 11/11)

It wasn't the first time he had been smoked, and it wouldn't be the last. After the Cap's had some time to blow off some steam and folks begin filing out, he turns to Dr. Acker. "Feel like making a shopping run? Coffee's on me, and the dog pats are free. Brycie, feel like tagging along and adding to our shopping list?"

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

"Is this a 'use my personal check to buy stuff for you' shopping list, or a 'take stuff when we break into a place' shopping list?"

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

“This is a get equipment that the department won’t pay for that is critical to getting some answers-type shopping trip. Especially the part where I have no idea what a cop is planning to do that may or may not be entirely within the bounds of the laws they’re sworn to uphold.”

Rhyos fucked around with this message at Jan 31, 2019 around 23:38

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

"You heard the captain, Rick. We don't got nearly the funding or support we need and he knows it. If he's willing to let us go off the record, fine by me!"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Kodiak HQ
Everyone

"I said if it was relavent to the investigation, not because you need to pay for something yourself for once." The Captain pipes in, not quite having walked away far enough. "Not that I can hear any of this, I'm in the middle of -"

"Erm, excuse me?" Robbie has stepped out of his little office, flushed in the face and sweating a little. "Where can I get some water?" He asks meekly.

Going to need some input from the rest of Kodiak, and a final idea of what everyone wants to do next. Follow up on your actual leads? Goof off for a bit? Wait to nightfall and break into somewhere?

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Stepping to the water cooler, Rick nabs a quick cup of water for the kid. Stepping over, he offers it. "Don't think we met - I'm Rick. Are you feeling ok? In light of everything that's happened lately, I can understand if you're not feeling well."

Just in case:
Detect Lies - 10
Body Language - 11

Rhyos fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2019 around 12:03

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Kodiak HQ
Everyone

"Whu-? Oh, right. No, no. I'm okay." He smiles weakly. "Just a bit thirsty."

Body Language 11 = (5+1+5) = 11 Pass
Detect Lies 10 = (6+2+4) = 12 Fail

You've seen enough people and bodies in stress to know that no matter what this kid is saying, something is not right. Pupils are dilated, and his eyes are darting to and fro, so minutely and so quickly that it took until you were only a few feet away from him. And he's radiating heat. That must be one heluva fever! The sweat isn't coming from nerves or anxiety, it's coming from the fact he's hot enough to cook a steak on!

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

"Sorry to say it, kid, but I don't believe that for a second. We need to get you looked at, and quick. It's going to be a tense situation, but I need you to stay as calm as you can. Easier said than done, I know." If this was going anything like the late Doctor, they needed to act quick.

When dealing with crisis situations, there's a tendency for pulses to rise, blood to rush to the ears, and difficulty hearing one's own voice that leads to yelling. Fortunately, training and diction study can lead to projecting from the diaphragm instead of the throat, causing even a calm voice to project.
"Bryce, go get Cyril double-quick. Beau, get an ice bath going right now, with extra on hand. Acker, help me move the kid. No questions, just go!"

Rhyos fucked around with this message at Feb 4, 2019 around 15:15

Mid-Boss
Mar 3, 2013

Beau Boffit HP:10/10 FP:10/10

"Right, on it." Beau makes a break for the showers, stopping only to hand a deputy his credit card and order him to buy "all the ice at the gas station and be back here asap. Lights and sirens if you have to."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Cyril Hodges HP:10/10 FP:12/12

Alerted to the issue, Cyril moved into action. From his knowledge of the inestigation of the body, he first moved to confirm similar symptoms - checking Robbie's temperature, blood pressure, and taking a blood sample to determine if Robbie had the same lack of platelets and white blood cells. "Everyone else check your temperature and blood pressure, let me know if they are abnormally elevated. Whatever Sanford had seemed to involve extreme overproduction of plasma and red blood cells along with extremely high fever. Someone should contact the police department and the Fordham Centre to see if anyone else is experiencing symptoms as well."

Physician 15, Biology 13, Chemistry 13, and Pharmacy 14 for checking him out and doing doctor things to help. +1 if Attentive applies

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Nothing snaps Bryce out of it as much as someone actually in danger. He rushed Cyril over on the double.

"Jesus, the kid's frying like an egg on a skillet..."

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Kodiak HQ
Everyone

The Captain looks at Beau with a mix of credulity and disgust. “Who do you think you're...” seeing everyone's worry at Robbies condition stills the tongue lashing he was surely preparing for, however. “Take him upstairs to the shower room or something; we'll get a tub ready.” He says, quickly stalking out, phone in hand. Ever the multi-tasker.

Cyril quickly moves up, ready to take a blood sample. You see the problem immediately, as soon as it enters the syringe. Bright. Not as bright as the nearly neon blood from Sanderson, but far above what you would see in a normal human. Quickly taking leading of the situation, Cyril begins barking out orders meant to preserve the young polyglots life, and likely not a minute to soon.

Between the lot of you, you swiftly get the boy under the coldest shower you can manage, much to his protestations. Even he starts getting a bit worried though as the extreme cold fails to bother him. Even when the Captain returns with a few bags of ice to pile around him, he remains unaffected.

“What the gently caress is wrong me?” He asks fretfully, after the ice starts to melt against his skin.

- - - -

15 minutes later, the Captain pulls one of you aside and explains. “I managed to get ahold of some people. None of the cops or techs that went to the scene are suffering any unexplained fever. We got ahold of Daytech and some people at the centre, but aside from hearing about a few sweaty students I didn't get much; also they pretty much clammed up after I started checking around.” He shrugs. “I can look into more, but unless you can firmly link this directly to the place, it won't be much for anything official.”

He begins to walk off, then turns about. “Actually, I managed to track down Fordham during all this. Get this, he's at the Zoo of all places.

Kodiak HQ Lab
Cyril Hodges

Physician 15 = (3+1+5) = 9
Pharmacy 14 = (3+2+5) = 10

Again, you take a minute away from everyone else to stalk about the lab. Running the blood sample, you see the obvious. While Robbies blood is starting to take on the same characteristics of Sandersons, it's not quite as far progressed as the dead bodies. Whatever this is, you caught it early. You also detect traces of antibodies of some kind. They don't match anything you recognise, mostly working on the already dead, and the equipment avalaible isn't quite extensive enough as is.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Calm is slow, slow is steady, steady is fast. The biggest thing was to keep Robbie calm, and sometimes the best way to do that was to embody it, even if you don't have all the answers.

"We're getting to the bottom of that right now. Every bit of information you can give us, even if you think it's irrelevant, can help us prevent this from potentially happening to more people." Helping hoist another bag, not quite caring if he gets wet, he holds it out for the kid. "Hug it - keep it near the core, and it should help. Head or crotch are other good vectors, but I'm pretty sure you don't want me handling that." Chuckling a little, he moves to prep more ice. "Back in the sandbox, we would dunk our shorts in cold water so it would evaporate and cool throughout the day. Squishy as all hell, but drat if it didn't work!" Unable to stifle a laugh, he continues his anecdote, doing his best to mimic the staff sergeant. "I remember one of the kids forgot to wring his out, and during roll call, the sergeant was all 'Did you actually piss your pants, praht? You think Uncle Sam invests in diapers outside of the VA? Get the hell out of my lineup and don't come back until you get that poo poo blowdryed! Dishmishhhed!"

As the actual tub gets prepped, more ice than water, Rick turns around to provide a little privacy. "Sorry for the invasion of privacy, but you'll need to shed that stuff so that the doc can check for any skin abnormalities. Don't worry, the ice will obscure the bits. If you're 'cool' with it - yes, terrible humor - do you mind if I ask a few questions that might get personal?" Awaiting a nod or other form of assent, he gets his list ready.

"Were there any common ingest-able items you and the Doc may have shared? Snacks, drinks, teas, etc? Any drugs, nootropics, or things like that? Don't worry - most cops really don't care, and you've got my word that we won't hook you up if that's the case. Did you feel any sort of powdery substance on the paper? Are you on any prescriptions, over-the-counters, or anything like that?

On the topic of the books, did you ever feel some sort of rush while working on them? Any change in breathing, perception, mental faculties? Did you two ever collaborate on your sessions?" Even if he couldn't use the details himself, passing it along to the doc would help give a much better background. Cops knew how to deal with basic catastrophic emergencies, but just until the medics show up.

Diplomacy 10 to keep Robbie calm

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Kodiak HQ
Everyone

Diplomacy 10 = (3+5+1) = 9

Ricks words manage to keep Robbie calm over the next hour, and he really needs it. Before your eyes the boy pales, turning first to a pale white, then a dirty mayonnaise grey before your very eyes. His body temperature returns to normal slowly, but everything else grows worse; Cyril's tests show an ever increasing amount of the strange antibodies within Robbies blood stream

IQ (15-3) = (4+4+1) = 9

With Sanderson's blood close on hand, Cyril thinks to compare the samples whenever he takes one. On top of the antibodies indicating some form of infection, he also determines that Robbie's blood is fast approaching the state of Sanderson's blood. Much faster then he should be.

- - -

While Robbie's condition worsens, the Captain has been completing his various tasks. He walks into the shower room where most of you have congregated, just barely suppresses a grimace as Robbie, and bowls straight into speaking.

“So, I've still been calling around. There's some unexplained fevers going around the centre, most of them started up about two weeks back but more and more have been happening. But that's the best I've gotten from anyone there. While they aren't getting in the way of my questions, Day Tech aren't exactly helping anymore.”

“So, the Mayor has decided to call up some extra help for us, given the various 'known unknowns' (he says with finger quotes). He's got a Police background, but I havn't had a chance to look over his file just yet. We're all up here Richard!” Within a few seconds a tall, well built man bounds into the shower room, and likely does not suppress his grimace at the sorry scene.

“Last thing. I got a hold of this Professor Fordham directly, at the Zoo. He says, he might have an idea of what's going on, but is dealing with his own emergency right now. He says if you want to talk, he'll explain at the Zoo but can't take the time to talk us through everything over the phone. He says to bring some blood samples so he can check himself, to be sure.”

He glances at Robbie, who hasn't said a word in the last 10 minutes. “I think, erm. I think we've done the best we can do with what we have here. Should I call an ambulance?”

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

There’s a change in Bryce’s look and tone from the usual lackadaisical playfulness. “Whatever medical help this kid needs. I’ll go see Fordham. Who’s with me?”

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Cyril Hodges HP:10/10 FP:12/12

"If the professor believes he has a solution, I'll go as well," Cyril says as he bags up blood samples. "We can send Robbie go the hospital, as I don't have anything further I can do here."

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Richard Grey HP:11/11 FP:9/9

"Name's Richard Grey. You need somebody to sneak or shoot, I'm the guy."

He sniffs the air a bit.

"Somebody burn something?"

Mid-Boss
Mar 3, 2013

Beau Boffit HP:10/10 FP:10/10

Beau nods at Richard. "Good to meet you. Only thing we're burning now is time. I don't think meeting Fordham requires all of us, so who's up for searching Sanderson's house with me?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Kodiak HQ
Everyone

Introductions are terse and short lived; Robbie's conditions must be setting a pall over the air. The Captain is as good as his word, and his (high up friends) political pull gets a priority ambulance called up in only a quarter of an hour. Fully apprised of his condition, the paramedics take Robbie off to the safety of a nearby hospital. From there it's just a matter of getting yourselves to where you need to go.

Bryce takes the lead, heading off to the Zoo to see Fordham, while Beau heads to Sanderson's home. The rest of you split yourselves up in whatever fashion feels best.

Sanderson's Home
Beau and the Gang

You pull up to Sanderson's home a short while later; in all the journey takes you about half an hour. It's firmly mid-afternoon now and there's a lot of hustle and bustle as people and places start setting up for the end of the day. An unassuming Brownstone on the end of a block greets you at your destination. According to the information that's been pulled, Sanderson owns the whole 3 floored building. Must be pretty good money being an administrator.

Beau takes point, heading up a short flight of stairs to the front door. The key he has fits perfectly.

The Zoo
Bryce, Cyril and the rest

It's well into the afternoon when your group arrives at the Zoo, and most of the activity for the day is well and truly over. You end up having to park in the visitors section, but be assured a wave of your badge should make any problem evaporate. A fairly short walk from the parking lot to the Zoos front entrance leads you to the visitors centre; gaudy trinkets line the walls and stalls as a bored looking teenager mans one of the three cashier stations. One or two out-of-towners trawl through the various stuffed animals and whatever other kitschy looking artefacts they can claim as souvenirs.

You were told on the way over that Professor Fordham has been hauled up at around the “Primate Park”. Best get a move on.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

"All right. Where the hell is this guy...." Bryce takes a map off the little kiosk by the front gate and scowls at it. Why can't they ever make the drat things to scale?

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Richard Grey HP:11/11 FP:9/9

Richard goes with the house group mostly by default.

"Why don't you let me head in first. I'm rather good at sneaking around."

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Sanderson's Home
Beau and Richard

Richard enters tactically, opening the front door silently, peering all around before quickly shuffling in. It takes a few minutes but afterwards he can safely call the first of the three floors clear.

The floor is essentially cut between 2 quarters and a half. In one of the corners sits a large and well-furbished kitchen and it the other a rather bare dining hall in comparison. Though you can tell all the furniture is way beyond your pay grade. The opposite half is taken up by a large living room. A 3 piece furniture set, large smart TV, rows of expensive books and blu-rays aligned on expensive looking bookcases that go from floor to ceiling, plus other assorted (and expensive) knick knacks. You'll have to take another look for anything specific, but you caught the general idea.

The Zoo
Bryce, Cyril and Rick

The map makes it pretty clear; although the city zoo is pretty large, most of it is sectioned off into niche areas with whimsical/trite names depending on how you feel. Primate Park is a pretty straight shot, about a 20 minute walk from the entry hall past the Butterfly Glade, sitting snugly next to Arctic Alley.

“You gonna pay for that?” The teenager asks languidly from the only manned cashier station. It doesn't look like she would put up much of a fight if you didn't. “No pets except service animals.” She says to Rick, equally languidly. Due diligence done, she returns to what appears to be a magazine she was reading from just out of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Bryce casually flips his badge out of his pocket and shows it to the attendant. "Police requisition, ma'am."

«2 »