Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The only time I've ever been to church is when I was forced to in school.

lol catholics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I was raised among prosperity gospel baptist assholes but if you've never been exposed to church and want to check it out episcopals are the most accessible gateway drug.

Also the actual text of the new testament is pretty explicit about unfettered revolutionary class warfare being cool & good.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Hey baby I hear the bells a-callin
Tossed salad and gargled balls

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

the pope is a heretic and praying to the saints is an affront to God.

I'm an atheist so I think all of this is horseshit that irrationally violent assholes use to post facto justify their violent urges, but Catholics don't pray to saints to directly ask them for poo poo. They ask the saints to intercede with God on their behalf.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
holy poo poo priessst

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The trick to enjoying church is to go there as little as possible, so when you end up in one for whatever reason you are like "whoa!" Also, don't be a protestant because their churches suck.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Honestly if God wanted us to go to church he wouldn't have put it on the same day as Football and Nascar.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Sekenr posted:

The trick to enjoying church is to go there as little as possible, so when you end up in one for whatever reason you are like "whoa!" Also, don't be a protestant because their churches suck.

I snuck into a service at St. Marks in Venice yesterday, can confirm

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
My friend took me to his sunday school one time and they converted me to loving free donuts.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Whorelord posted:

I snuck into a service at St. Marks in Venice yesterday, can confirm

True church connoisseur right there.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome
I had to do confirmation as a Catholic and I was told to pick a Christian name to be confirmed under or something I don't really remember that was a long time ago anyway my given first name is Michael so I just picked Michael and at some point during the whole deal the priest had to refer to me as Michael Michael.

That day also was the day that I gave The LORD his last chance to win me over as a true believer. I decided that since confirmation is supposed to be one of the more major points for a Catholic that I should notice or otherwise be aware of The LORD's presence at some point during the ceremony and if I did I was going to continue being Catholic and just deal with it. If The LORD did not make his presence felt then it probably was all some sort of elaborate hoax and I could safely leave religious life and do whatever I wanted.

Even though The LORD chose to ignore his flock on that day I still had to go to church every Sunday until I turned 18 because of my mom.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The only time I willingly went to church is when my friend told me how much fun catechism was. She really talked up how awesome and amazing it was, and I asked my parents if I could go with her.

Turns out I had to go to a special catechism for non- Catholics and they gave me some worksheets on how Ill go to hell if I don't become a Catholic to color.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You would think churches run out of material only using one book

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I was raised Catholic and my parents took me to church every Sunday. Until my Dad lost his job when I was about 6 years old and a bunch of people at church shamed him by claiming that he lost his job for offending God (he lost his job because he worked at a factory and they laid off a bunch of people) and got angry at us for not being able to donate any money to the Church any more. This was the year we skipped Christmas and my Dad worked at a fast food place while studying for his degree.

We stopped going to church, which pissed off my Very Catholic Grandma. Until my Aunt, who's a nun, told everybody that organized religion had been perverted by a bunch of greedy hypocrites and that we didn't need to go to Church unless we found one we agreed with. So that was the end of Church for my family. We went to a christening at that church a few years later and my Dad "accidentally" knocked over a bunch of poo poo and the priest had to pick it all up in front of him.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

vyst posted:

Despite my views on organized religion, the Bible has some pretty sweet stuff in it and should be read at some point in your life, if only for the historical significance. Jesus beating the poo poo out of the moneychangers in temple and smashing their tables is pretty famous and it's something I thought about a lot in church as a kid when the collection plate went around. I imagined he was literally suplexing people through tables (like Stone Cold Steve Austin) and I still like to imagine that's how it went down.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i went to the congregational church so it was mostly about being good to each other and singing. something about an ark. moses was good. see, i remember!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Saint Francis of Assisi is my spirit animal.

It's true. A teacher gave me a pendant saying so.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Zeluth posted:

Saint Francis of Assisi is my spirit animal.

Same. Frank is the patron saint of failsons everywhere.

I'm not a bum, I'm a supplicant!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Icochet posted:

I'm not a bum, I'm a supplicant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccTmHeoYZjE

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I grew up in the super rapey Allentown diocese that was just in the news. I was an alter boy. I wasn't even molested. That's how fuckin ugly I am. PA loves some kid rape.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

vyst posted:

They just keep looking through it over and over. They start with the begats because those are so boring you'll forget everything else you knew about the Bible.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i went to a russian orthodox liturgy a couple of weeks ago and it was wild. no pews, people just walking around the whole time kissing icons, they still had a rood screen, the priest just left for a while and came back in different vestments, everything was chanted

at one point two priests came out and held up boxes covered with cloth while chanting in old slavonic. i assumed that was the Host, but then like 45 minutes later (it went on for like 2.5 hours) they celebrated the Consecration behind the rood screen, so i have no idea what was in the boxes

anyway i go to Latin Mass, that poo poo rules. gregorian choir, lots of incense, bells all the time

shame on an IGA posted:

Also the actual text of the new testament is pretty explicit about unfettered revolutionary class warfare being cool & good.

ya except for all of the very prominent and frequently-repeated commands to obey temporal authorities and not to revolt against them

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekq0yl9rbGo

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i went to a russian orthodox liturgy a couple of weeks ago and it was wild. no pews, people just walking around the whole time kissing icons, they still had a rood screen, the priest just left for a while and came back in different vestments, everything was chanted

at one point two priests came out and held up boxes covered with cloth while chanting in old slavonic. i assumed that was the Host, but then like 45 minutes later (it went on for like 2.5 hours) they celebrated the Consecration behind the rood screen, so i have no idea what was in the boxes

anyway i go to Latin Mass, that poo poo rules. gregorian choir, lots of incense, bells all the time

ya except for all of the very prominent and frequently-repeated commands to obey temporal authorities and not to revolt against them

the boxes contained Blasphemy

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

WatermelonGun posted:

the boxes contained Blasphemy

prot spotted

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

*scoffs towards rome*

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Sekenr posted:

True church connoisseur right there.

St Mark's owns, can totally get why people are Catholic and I would be if it was all spectacular architecture, incense and free wine with no obvious kid rape.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

WatermelonGun posted:

*scoffs towards rome*

extra ecclesiam nulla salus my good bitch

Lil Devil
Feb 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

old beast lunatic posted:

I grew up in the super rapey Allentown diocese that was just in the news. I was an alter boy. I wasn't even molested. That's how fuckin ugly I am. PA loves some kid rape.

Circa 2007 Always Sunny in Philadelphia called. They want their jokes back.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg1BljLu9YY

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Lil Devil posted:

Circa 2007 Always Sunny in Philadelphia called. They want their jokes back.

yeah whatever. At least i'm not dumb enough to still go to church :smug:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I had to go to so many boring rear end catholic masses my entire childhood. My mom would always tell these lies like "one day you'll appreciate church and be happy to go." Nothing makes my adult weekends better than NOT going to church. Owned, mom.

Catholic parents are all child abusers even if they don't rape.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Jesus. How about that guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

I had to go to so many boring rear end catholic masses my entire childhood. My mom would always tell these lies like "one day you'll appreciate church and be happy to go." Nothing makes my adult weekends better than NOT going to church. Owned, mom.

You wouldn't appreciate those free weekends as much if you hadn't been forced to go to church as a kid. :smug:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKcl4-tcuo

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

No joke I hated church and stopped going as soon as I could and never looked back. I know my mom feels like she failed in that part of raising me

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Religious people made a retarded man president I don't think they really know what happens when we die.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
When I was 12-ish I told my mom that I didn't want to go to church every Sunday anymore. Easter and such were fine, but not on the reg.

Her reaction was essentially "Phew, good, I was getting tired of it too."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

I respect those super rich pastors. The one that told his followers that his wife's Maserati was approved by the lord & didn't get chased out of town afterwards. I can't knock that kind of hustle. If you can get cross-humpers to literally shovel their money to you, that's one bad bitch.

Super-rich pastors got drat good game. Mad Respect!

I can't believe those gullible saps, giving all their money to some showy televangelist. They've fallen so far from God.

Anyone with a brain knows that the only acceptable ways to worship and get into heaven is to send all your money to child molesters in Rome, or alternatively, give it all to elect US conservative politicians. Hopefully one day they will see the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
God is dead.