Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

juche avocado posted:

I'd like the opportunity to defend her* w/o coming off as a white knight & without being preemptively accused of being/dismissed as toxic and aggressive and "not worth it"

like there are a lot of claims being thrown around about her already in this thread's barely-existence that are just flat-out false; some are opinions that were forged in the fires of a specific internet conflagration that are still being trotted out today, disavowal or realizing-of-wrongness be damned

imo that's pretty toxic?? refusing to let a person err? or, worse, deciding that somebody's not for you for whatever reason (that's fine, but), ignoring them (fine, too), and then using words and a tone that really implies you think a person could never grow or change or admit wrongdoing after you stopped paying attention to them?

obviously it's not toxic itt I'm just saying the attitude, that thought process, that writing someone off like that, in that unforgiving way, is toxic, to me

*tbh, defending my liking her & her videos

i think she represents incredibly important contribution to LGBT politics :shrug: — in an outreach/literally-political sense not in a genesis intelligence "i invented 69th wave feminism" sense

I agree with most of this it's just weird that I personally take a real deep breath when I see her doing a video on being trans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

420 Gank Mid posted:

Did you miss that part where a whole bunch of terfs did a letter writing campaign to defund a children's charity that saves the lives of at-risk trans youth?

AIUI the issue was with that particular charity. Lots of charities that support trans youth also receive Lottery funding but weren't the target of any campaign. Mermaids, on the other hand, is under fire mostly for their homophobia:

and for teaching gender identity in terms of gender stereotypes (their training materials show a spectrum from Barbie to GI Joe), and reporting an attempted suicide rate among trans kids many times higher than the NHS's Gender Identity Development Service does, for advising on a TV drama (Butterfly) that broke just about every media guideline there is on depicting suicide attempts, and for contradicting advice given by the NHS.
The doctor they refer parents to, Helen Webberley, is currently suspended and under investigation by the GMC, and her husband who works with her is only allowed to practise medicine under extremely tight conditions.
Mermaids was the subject of a court order stopping them from contacting one family after the NHS Tavistock gender clinic had concluded their 7-year-old was not trans, but Mermaids insisted he was.

GIRES, LGBT Youth Scotland, LGBT Health and Wellbeing, any number of charities would have been a better choice for helping trans children, ones that only real extremists would oppose. But a charity involved in a lot of controversies and reminiscent of ex-gay organisations was a problem.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

You seem like the kind of person the term "ally" actually exists for.

There's a kind of kneejerk negativity among trans people toward transvestites, drag queens, etc because they're frustrated with being identified with them and trying to make the point that we're separate, but like the larger LGBTQ obsession with the argument that we're hardline products of nature and not nurture, it's a cudgel to pound our dumb antagonists with and not actually a description of reality as best understood. For many trans people, the process of identity formation and self-discovery and coming out involves a tenure as a crossdresser or a drag performer or a sexual fetishist, followed by the dawning realization that this identity is something more than a mask and a costume. Sometimes it even goes back the other way, as people who identified as trans later negotiate a life they're happy with expressing that identity on a part-time or performance basis and living mostly in their assigned gender.

None of which is to say I think you're proto-trans, or whatever, but rather that I think there's absolutely zero good reason for hostility or a lack of acceptance. Do you, dude, and when we need help speak out for us and when some creep harasses you we'll help you kick their rear end.

Thank you! I really appreciate your effort reply. I'm kind of in a gay bubble so to speak because the community I'm in is very accepting and not hardline on defining people. My understanding is like you said that trans people and terfs don't always look kindly on crossdressing and see it as a mockery of femininity.

I will always stand up for all LBQT people and i appreciate that i am among supportive people.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1088519334971011073?s=19

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

:stare:

Surely this will turn around that birth rate problem Japan is having.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

https://twitter.com/CIDH/status/1088534450948984832

man, things really aren't looking good in Brazil. I imagine the religious right is probably a lot more deeply entrenched in Brazil than the US, but seeing the trans ban in the military makes me wonder how much further the rollback of queer rights in the US could go.

also whoa, did not know Wyllys was that handsome.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

an actual dog posted:

a weird number of people don't know about prep. you'd think it would be big news but no straight people know it's wild

I only learned this existed like four months ago when one of my gay friends casually mentioned it in our group chat. I didn't believe him at first it sounded too good to be true and I thought he got duped into some kind of psuedoscience nonsense until I actually looked it up and I was like holy poo poo.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

japan still uses the term "gender identity disorder" and to legally receive treatment, you have to be sterilized, unmarried, and not have kids under the age of majority

thus, lots of trans folks are still in the closet, perform DIY hormone therapy, or go to other countries (esp. thailand) for treatment

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Stottie Kyek posted:

AIUI the issue was with that particular charity. Lots of charities that support trans youth also receive Lottery funding but weren't the target of any campaign. Mermaids, on the other hand, is under fire mostly for their homophobia:

and for teaching gender identity in terms of gender stereotypes (their training materials show a spectrum from Barbie to GI Joe), and reporting an attempted suicide rate among trans kids many times higher than the NHS's Gender Identity Development Service does, for advising on a TV drama (Butterfly) that broke just about every media guideline there is on depicting suicide attempts, and for contradicting advice given by the NHS.
The doctor they refer parents to, Helen Webberley, is currently suspended and under investigation by the GMC, and her husband who works with her is only allowed to practise medicine under extremely tight conditions.
Mermaids was the subject of a court order stopping them from contacting one family after the NHS Tavistock gender clinic had concluded their 7-year-old was not trans, but Mermaids insisted he was.

GIRES, LGBT Youth Scotland, LGBT Health and Wellbeing, any number of charities would have been a better choice for helping trans children, ones that only real extremists would oppose. But a charity involved in a lot of controversies and reminiscent of ex-gay organisations was a problem.

I'd very much strongly prefer it if you stopped posting in my thread.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

itt i'm reminded that doing point by point takedowns of bad faith idiots is completely pointless

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

love too appropriate the word homophobia as a cudgel against trans people, to attempt to drive a wedge in the sometimes-tenuous unity of the oppressed queers

love too mix my tool metaphors

juche avocado has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Jan 25, 2019

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014
Can't speak for the other groups but LGBT Youth Scotland absolutely does get anger directed at it from the mumsnet crowd. Okay yeah only "real extremists" oppose them, but TERF is an extremist position so it's full of extremists.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Silly Hyena posted:

Can't speak for the other groups but LGBT Youth Scotland absolutely does get anger directed at it from the mumsnet crowd. Okay yeah only "real extremists" oppose them, but TERF is an extremist position so it's full of extremists.

oh word the idiot is an idiot? woah :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I love to bomb into the queer thread and defend the honor of terfs

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

btw i wanna make a post about how i much prefer the word heterosexim to the word homophobia in 90% of usecases

it's more accurate and also, you know, doesn't include othering language

alas, academia

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm pretty sure the only times I've heard the phrase "Cotton Ceiling" were when it was brought up by a TERF.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

imagine my shock lol

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

an actual dog posted:

a weird number of people don't know about prep. you'd think it would be big news but no straight people know it's wild

A weird number also don't know that it doesn't prevent any other STDs and think it's a license to bareback, because US sex ed is loving awful, even when it means well.

Is there anyone actually campaigning to get LGBTQ info into sex ed? It feels like there should be, but I know we're still struggling to get something that isn't just 'Jesus says don't be fuckin' in places still.

Liquid Communism has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Jan 25, 2019

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Communism posted:

A weird number also don't know that it doesn't prevent any other STDs and think it's a license to bareback, because US sex ed is loving awful, even when it means well.

Is there anyone actually campaigning to get LGBTQ info into sex ed? It feels like there should be, but I know we're still struggling to get something that isn't just 'Jesus says don't be fuckin' in places still.

Look up how conservative politicians rallied against the HPV vaccine years ago because it would be giving people a "free pass" for promiscuous sex

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EugeneJ posted:

Look up how conservative politicians rallied against the HPV vaccine years ago because it would be giving people a "free pass" for promiscuous sex

Oh, I'm aware. The whole genesis of the Right to Life campaign, for the true believers, is that women Must Be Punished for having sex.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Not really wanting to debate the TERF person, but at the same I want to mention how bizarre it is to allege that there are trans organizations for children that TERFs don't attack. When I came out to my mom (a staunch Republican who comes off as mild compared to my dad, who used to be in a white supremacist gang as a teen and still reads Stormfront to my knowledge) last year, she proudly declared she had done research on the matter and sent me a link to a page called "Parents of ROGD Kids" which started out with this image:

Really gotta love the very tiny "transgender" dot in the corner. Anyway, ROGD stands for "rapid onset gender dysphoria", which is a fun new buzzword floating about in TERF and transphobe circles that proposes a type of fake and sudden gender dysphoria caused by children wanting to fit in with their peers or on social media (because being trans IRL or online is really cool and doesn't involve people harassing you constantly). It's fairly popular with parents since it basically excuses them from not noticing or caring enough about their child to know they had gender dysphoric feelings, and lays the blame on evil doctors and psychologists pushing a political agenda. There was a research paper done to support it whose data explicitly came from surveying parents of trans children on sites that were already proposing ROGD's existence; it's akin to trying to find evidence on harm caused by vaccines by surveying anti-vax forums. What really bothered me about this site (apart from my mom implying I'm a dumb kid when I'm in my mid-twenties and moved out :v:) was its advice on seeking a therapist for one's child who has expressed gender dysphoric feelings.

quote:

1. DO NOT take them to any therapist who claims to specialize in 'gender identity,' 'gender dysphoria' or purports to help those who are 'questioning their gender identity'. These therapists are likely to simply affirm your child and encourage them to persist in their belief without ever questioning why they may feel this way. In some cases, such therapists have recommended social and medical transition after as little as one visit. We have even heard reports of therapists recommending this over the phone without ever having met the child.

2. Choose an experienced therapist (minimum 10 years) who has a large population of adolescent and young adult patients, especially young girls. They are most likely to be noticing that a lot of their patients are suddenly deciding they are trans and may already be growing suspicious.

Be proactive. Help them to learn about this dangerous trend by bringing them helpful, authoritative articles, such as

“Gender Dysphoria is Not One Thing” written by Drs. Bailey and Blanchard, two of the world's most respected researchers in gender dysphoria,

“Rapid-Onset Gender Dysphoria in Adolescents and Young Adults”, Dr. Lisa Littman’s groundbreaking new study, and

"Rapid-onset gender dysphoria in adolescents stirs debate" posted in MedScape.

3. Before you allow your child to spend any time alone with a therapist, prescreen them by asking them open-ended questions to learn their approach towards gender dysphoric kids. Really listen to their answers. This should give you a very good idea of their approach.

If they act insulted that you would dare to question them, leave.
If they refuse to tell you their approach, leave.
If they tell you they will 'affirm' your child, or ‘let the child be their guide’, leave.

4. Be extremely wary of any therapist who intentionally excludes the parents from the child's therapy and insists on only seeing the child alone. They may be encouraging your child behind your back. (We have even heard reports of this - and it was at a major children's hospital.)

Find a therapist who is willing to involve the parents - at times - as part of the therapy. Gender dysphoria can have roots in the family dynamic, so it is important to find a therapist who is willing to take this into consideration.

Basically, never take your kid to anyone who is an expert in gender dysphoria, read articles by quacks such as Dr. Bailey and Dr. Blanchard and the person who did the abysmal study I mentioned earlier, find someone who won't trust the child at all, and sit on your child's private therapy sessions. I went to the biggest TERF hub I know of that isn't Mumsnet, r/gendercritical, and did a search on ROGD, and got a veritable smorgasbord of posts about how it's very real and should be investigated. So I really can't loving believe that TERFs would ever be accepting of any org that does work with trans youth since they largely think 99% of all trans kids are confused and its the therapists pushing this on them. Reminds me of how straight parents freaked out over kids "learning" how to be gay from movies and gay peers.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about the ROGD bullshit that's so striking, looking at that image, is how many of the things in it are things these parents are actively being a party to by attacking their kids for experimenting with gender identity.

"Hmm, I guess people are claiming femininity as a response to being bullied for being sissies. Perhaps the solution is for me to use the weight of the medical-industrial complex to pathologize and punish them for being a little sissy, in hopes they'll become a normal boy."

Also, gotta love that "misogyny" bubble. Because it makes a tremendous amount of sense that transwomen want to "become women" because they hate women, and also transmen want to "become men" because they hate women.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and how it includes pretty much everyone. Borderline, autism, depression, anxiety, ADHD, people with sexual trauma, gay people, people with self-esteem issues, white people (who are all obviously doing it out of white guilt), and even people who have trouble fitting in or trouble pleasing their parents. Indeed, you might say that literally everything causes gender dysphoria.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Call me a tiresome pedant (you'd be right) but I'm not about to take your Very Serious and Important feminist science seriously if you can't take the trouble to spell "misogyny" properly in your official literature (remember: "miso", like the soup).

Also, it is curious how the TERFs and adjacent dipshits like to link trans issues to all manner of mental illness, and to say that trans people need proper psychiatric treatment - but then also talk as though all trans people are violent abusive predators. Now, I'm mentally ill myself, so this kind of thing scarcely makes me feel reassured and protected. I have seen a lot of transphobes with lovely ideas about mental illness, actually. I suppose if you're ready to ignore the opinion of one group of medical professionals in favour of your own stupid prejudices, you might as well add another if it's no trouble.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

i LOVE soup

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

The thing about the ROGD bullshit that's so striking, looking at that image, is how many of the things in it are things these parents are actively being a party to by attacking their kids for experimenting with gender identity.

"Hmm, I guess people are claiming femininity as a response to being bullied for being sissies. Perhaps the solution is for me to use the weight of the medical-industrial complex to pathologize and punish them for being a little sissy, in hopes they'll become a normal boy."

Also, gotta love that "misogyny" bubble. Because it makes a tremendous amount of sense that transwomen want to "become women" because they hate women, and also transmen want to "become men" because they hate women.

@ last sentence: it's about the misogyny of society towards a person, not about the misogyny of the person-in-gender-dysphoria-question. because, of course, people's feelings and lived experiences cannot be trusted and if someone tells you they're feeling sad you need to do everything you can to delegitimize that sadness

"oh, honey, it's not you, it's just that society is that way. it's everyone's fault, so no one is to blame, and this is just what your life is going to be like. so deal with it."

edit: i mean i'm sure that someone, somewhere has made the claim that trans people want to transition because they hate men and/or hate women, but afaik the "it's society's fault" direction of the argument is the more common one

Chasterson
Aug 16, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
A hilarious thing about Dr. Blanchard is that he a gay man thinks that trans lesbians are into anal for the wrong reasons

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/esten/status/1088901085136187393

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Chasterson posted:

A hilarious thing about Dr. Blanchard is that he a gay man thinks that trans lesbians are into anal for the wrong reasons

Sorry what are the wrong reasons for liking anal???

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

the ghosts are turning our citizens gay!

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014
Who cares about the nuances of TERF and homophobia theory, they're boring as poo poo and none of them actually believe any of it at all. It's just post-hoc justification for hating people where they cast themselves as the good guys.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

can we talk about how happy it's made me that a real loving gay man is running for president, and he isn't terrible??? buttigieg!!!!!

Silly Hyena posted:

Who cares about the nuances of TERF and homophobia theory, they're boring as poo poo and none of them actually believe any of it at all. It's just post-hoc justification for hating people where they cast themselves as the good guys.

it's worthwhile to understand the arguments people are advancing, especially when the arguments are fundamentally wrong, because every now and then you'll encounter someone who isn't a true believer, but was persuaded, and is re-persuadable. knowing the moving parts makes this easier.

these people exist

they don't have twitter accounts, but they exist

it's not necessary to do that, ofc. no obligation to defend your right to exist etc. however i am a combative person so :black101:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

contra is cool but she is also a bigtime liberal, and very much not a leftist no matter what some people try to say. This is to say that she's great but just take some of it with a grain of salt, and also she tends to be a little pessimistic about certain aspects of transness that might give impressionable people the wrong impressions!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

juche avocado posted:

can we talk about how happy it's made me that a real loving gay man is running for president, and he isn't terrible??? buttigieg!!!!!

Yeah. It's unfortunate he doesn't stand a chance in hell, but the fact it's even happening is surreal considering 16 years ago we didn't even have marriage equality in any state. Easy to forget how far we've come :unsmith:

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

BUTTIGIEG

Zyla posted:

contra is cool but she is also a bigtime liberal, and very much not a leftist no matter what some people try to say. This is to say that she's great but just take some of it with a grain of salt, and also she tends to be a little pessimistic about certain aspects of transness that might give impressionable people the wrong impressions!

given her body of work and her self-professed opinions this is a pretty ungenerous take. (it stops being ungenerous, yes, but shouldn't we listen to people when they tell us what they think?)

also, if she's a ~~~~~Liberal~~~~~, then she's the good kind, not the bad kind

ironic that we're doing leftism-gating

e: it's not productive to argue about unknowable opinions of other people and i ....... i just wanted to speak up and be a voice against what i saw as unfair criticism; i don't want to derail the thread into a cspam version of lovely twitter slapfights. her body of work is lefty. if that's not true then i guess i don't know what lefty is.

juche avocado has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Jan 26, 2019

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

THAT SAID let me tell you about my invention, 69th wave feminism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

juche avocado posted:

THAT SAID let me tell you about my invention, 69th wave feminism

quoting this for the day Natalie unironically says it in a video