Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

the talent deficit posted:

have you considered the possibility you are wrong and bad? avro writes the schema into the file so you’re either overriding that or explicitly providing a read schema instead of getting it from the file

this is exactly what is happening yes, and the cause of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol dumbass.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

so why exactly is mongodb so bad? what about its technical design makes it so prone to losing data

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Captain Foo posted:

so why exactly is mongodb so bad? what about its technical design makes it so prone to losing data

PEBCAK

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Captain Foo posted:

it was written by javascript developers

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Captain Foo posted:

it’s not ACID so while it’s mostly fine for hobbyists or small applications it starts to get tricky once you hit ‘big boy’ data sets / SLAs you have to start building hacks on top of it to keep everything in line

plus dumb poo poo like their security defaults being asinine leading to the hacks everyone here being familiar with

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not fine for hobbyists or small applications. theres no reason you shouldn't just use a relational db

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

historically the only caching layer they had was mmap()

and no, it wasn't smart enough to request a flush on document write

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this was the same "database" that defaulted to booting with authentication turned off

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

overall the schema bit ought to integrate better still with type systems

this is down to the jdbc interface your language of choice implements, mysql and postgres have dumb as poo poo type systems you can make decisions on when they fail you, and jdbc and your lib or sql-to-my-language layer should be able to handle that

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i still dont get any reason for this xcept as something that isnt memcached or an equivalent

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
rip in piss

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

maybe im a big fuckin idiot? well did anyone throw away a relational db before making their decision? i doubt it. programmers are lazy.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Captain Foo posted:

mongo was an absolute trash fire for a long time

mongo in 2018 w/ WiredTiger as a storage engine is... fine so long as you actually want and need a document store.

ofc there are other options, but hypothetically definitely not from personal experience if your org doesn't give you another option, it's ok. wouldn't pick it myself but eh.

and yeah stuffing json/xml into a relational database is fine so long as you don't need to update those rows, b/c if you do you are on the express train to fragmentation city

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

its not fine for hobbyists or small applications. theres no reason you shouldn't just use a relational db

shagger was... right??

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i remember mongodb being pretty easy to learn like 4 years ago. a few lovely startups lost their valuable “data” like 5 years ago, i don’t know who would still care.

i don’t know why goons need to act SHOCKED that people use a thing and like it.

i don’t use it at all anymore though. i use a DB so artisanal and obscure that it would probably dox me to divulge which one.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PleasureKevin posted:

i remember mongodb being pretty easy to learn like 4 years ago. a few lovely startups lost their valuable “data” like 5 years ago, i don’t know who would still care.

i don’t use it at all anymore though. i use a DB so artisanal and obscure that it would probably dox me to divulge which one.

pleasuredb lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

pleasuredb lol

rofl

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

pleasuredb lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

commit to pleasure

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

there's nothing so shameful/obscure that there isn't a yosposter using it at work right now

• kdb
  • mumps
  • intersystems cache
  • marklogic

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there's nothing so shameful/obscure that there isn't a yosposter using it at work right now

• kdb
  • mumps
  • intersystems cache
  • marklogic

filemaker 11

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
e: nvm

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

commit to pleasure

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

Captain Foo posted:

pleasuredb lol

Rex-Goliath posted:

commit to pleasure

:five:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

pleasuredb lol

the "lol" is part of the name

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I want to like pleasuredb but it goes down all the time

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

abigserve posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKqMNDoR4o

it burnses!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

abigserve posted:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

my client just sent me this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vPt7GI-2kc

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

holy loving lmao I thought this was a parody and I was loving it to start with

"scalability is always on"
unironically deploying to prod on a friday night

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

words fail

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i hope you replied with goatse

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

my contract is up for negotiation so it was something to the effect of ‘lol! nice!!’

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
hey Rex-Goliath i pass your building on 101 sometimes and i must say the marklogic logo is one of the most boring i've ever seen. TWO SQUARES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

literally everything about our marketing is so boring it can kill people it’s awesome

• Locked thread