Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

New at this since it was on sale for Switch last week, love it. Very much reminds me of the only other roguelike I've ever really stuck with -- Tales of Maj'Eyal, with a similar feeling of how the procedurally-generated meat of the game is balanced with some more handcrafted diversions that pop up on the side.

At what point in the run should I be thinking about grabbing skills from another job? I've just gone single-class on the three characters I've tried so far (Paladin I got to the 12th floor and lost carelessly in the Gold badge trial, Hunter that died quick, now on a Spellshaper that's up to the 15th and feels a little OP as long as I keep my wits about me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Way earlier than that, for mobility skills if nothing else. I tend to swap like 600 AP into my first class.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I have nothing constructive to add, just that I always loved this game, and still do, and don't know why it's as unknown as it is. The SoM/CT feel alone should help, but, well,

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I've always figured it's just because it's a classic "let's throw in a bunch of features because we think they're cool" roguelike. It's not like that's a bad thing, but it's definitely not what "roguelike" has come to mean to the general public and I think that puts people off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm assuming it did well enough, hoped it might blow up on switch though and it hasn't really. It definitely deserves to.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Emong posted:

I've always figured it's just because it's a classic "let's throw in a bunch of features because we think they're cool" roguelike. It's not like that's a bad thing, but it's definitely not what "roguelike" has come to mean to the general public and I think that puts people off.

Well, it's a true roguelike, a single character exploring dungeons, turn based combat, etc. And it isn't Dark Souls-tier hard. So I agree isn't what 'roguelike' has come to mean to the general public, yeah (Binding of Isaac, Dead Cells, Enter the Gungeon, Darkest Dungeon, Risk of Rain 2, etc)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ahh starting my like sixth character, all on Switch since the expansion, and I just now figured out how to enter Riverstone Waterway as your starting dungeon. I knew it was there, and even read something mentioning the bridge, but never occurred to me to actually do the thing you have to do.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Finished up savage worlds on the switch in adventure mode. It was much easier than expected since I had a max stat pet and some decent legendaries I farmed up. I only really did lucid orbs on my staff, otherwise everything else was just free roll after getting a couple key enchants.

Overall I’m pretty happy with Tangledeep. I think the dreams to enchant gear and the pet mechanic really takes away from the flow of the game. It would be nice to treat enchanting gear like how it happens in the journeys: just put in gear and get enchant. Having to fight though a mini dungeon every time down a key piece of gear really made the whole processes a slog. In addition the skill orbs could really change how a character works but again, had to enchant a piece of gear to make it go really discourages trying alternate skill abilities.

The pet made the game so much easier and the grind required isn’t all that much to have gigapet 9000 carry you though most of the game. I’d prefer to not have to engage with that system at all, much less almost requiring it with how the basics of roguelikes work (not getting hit is king).

I did like the class system even if things became a bit same-y. It felt like there was only three builds: melee, spellshaping, or archer and the clear best compliment was the two summoning classes. My favorite run was spellshaper but the constant menuing for aoes got old.

I didn’t like the lack of native healing nor the reliance of consumables. I’m a big “gotta save them all” RPG player but even without that consumable management isn’t that interesting to me: moment to moment decision making is so not having to deal with the consumable overhead would be great.

I did play with regen health/energy/Stam, free pets/job changes and I think the game is better for it. The regen helps get through the first part of the game and the rest really help with cutting down grinding for cash over multiple characters.

The journey system is brilliant. A great way to hop into the game without real consequence and with a “real” award of bringing back relics or more to the real world. I loved the class design space, and the journeys helped someone like me to play different classes and see how they feel. I also really liked the weapon mastery system: it was a great way to add some extra actions and passives to encourage certain play styles.

I’m happy with the time I had with Tangledeep and am very excited for the sequel. Keep up the good work.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I've been pondering why I haven't really played the game since my first clear and I think the item dreams are a big part of it. They make it too long for a game with permadeath and I'm not really good enough to go without them.

I mean I know I could turn off permadeath but would rather turn off item dreams if you see what I mean.

Haven't played since the first dlc came out though so what I'm saying here might be well out of date

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about it. Liked the core gameplay, stuff like pets/item dreams etc felt like it detracted from it rather than adding to it. Consumables are a bit annoying, I'm hoping with how the sequel is discussed it's more of a case of you can take in X consumables and have them recharge after each dungeon like your healing flask. And the classes were neat, but wasn't a particularly big fan of the mix and match approach as it meant a lot of stuff blurred into eachother, having some dedicated high level/advanced talents for each class would have been neat.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yep, the Dream items, if you aren't able to control yourself, makes the game too grindy and it screws the balance of the game. When I played I only did half a dozen ones per run or so. The dev has a different philosophy that I would have, he was all about making a single run unending, with the dream items, the idea of developing pets, the journeys that can give you relics, etc, instead I would have prefered to have shorter runs, as the game is already replayable enough.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 11, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep, the Dream items, if you aren't able to control yourself, makes the game too grindy and it screws the balance of the game. When I played I only did half a dozen ones per run or so. The dev has a different philosophy that I would have, he was all about making a single run unending, with the dream items, the idea of developing pets, the journeys that can give you relics, etc, instead I would have prefered to have shorter runs, as the game is already replayable enough.
This is really bizarre because the actual structure of the game/dungeon doesn't support his concept at all. It's not an "open" roguelike like Qud where this would make sense, it's 15 floors in a set order with a linear difficulty progression, final boss and ending

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It does though, it's in the NG+ laps, or savage world?

Maybe I don't understand the complaint - if your goal is to just finish NG then no compelling reason to do item dreams I'd think? Although a few levels here and there are significant power increases if you are weaker in other areas of the game so I don't see that as a bad thing.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 12, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I suppose I should cross-post-quote the main dev:

zirconmusic posted:

Yes Tangledeep 2 is coming. It's still a ways off, public builds by the end of year, early access 2021 if I had to guess. But my code is like an order of magnitude better, cleaner, and more easily maintainable and that makes development really exciting and fun. And yes I'm streaming this 1-2 hours a day!

There's a whole lot I have planned and it's all subject to change. However I am super excited so I'll brain dump a little bit of it.

The fundamental gameplay 'scenario' is now going to take place on an overworld with lots of dungeons, areas, and settlements of various sizes. You'll also be involved in shaping how the overworld expands outward. Think Legend of Mana's map artifact system. Rather than a single big dungeon, you'll be doing shorter, more varied dungeons in more varied environments.

Each excursion into a dungeon will be kind of like in Moonlighter. If you leave the dungeon before beating it, it resets completely (but you keep any loot you found.) This lets me rethink how recovery works and solve some bad situations. There will still be a flask, but you'll be able to refill it for free outside of a dungeon, avoiding any unfun scenarios where you exhausted your healing ability and couldn't progress.

The job system will make a return with some modifications. Currently I'm planning 6-8 base jobs, with 2 advanced 'branches' attached to each. The base jobs have some core active & passive powers, and then you can pick *one* advanced branch for each job at a time. For example, Brigand might have a Ninja branch focusing on dual-wielding and shadow attacks, and a Trickster branch that focuses on traps and devices. You'll still be able to mix and match jobs, but you can't use both branches at once for any given job, which should make for more unique-feeling characters and builds.

On top of that, you'll find special items that unlock passives in specific advanced branches. For example you might find a scroll that adds a +20% Dagger Damage bonus to the Ninja job, or one that doubles the amount of bombs you drop as a Trickster. These (mostly random) drops should also help spice things up and add just a little extra fun randomness. Maybe you planned on going Ninja but that Firebomb ability pairs nicely with a big fire damage item you found, so you decide to go Trickster instead.

Pets will be making a return for sure, with more refinement and customization to the system; more ways to setup your pet to your liking as opposed to being mostly powered up via the base monster and breeding. Instead they will be more like stalwart companions that can truly grow with you and maybe even equip some items of their own.

I'm also working on some various (optional) asynchronous multiplayer elements. For example a 'nemesis' kinda feature where if you get defeated by a champion, that champion will get a name and show up in other players' games in that same dungeon, with extra power. If someone else defeats that monster they might find one of your items. Or, sending one of your pets out on a 24-hour adventure where they might show up to help other players and gain some XP in the process. Or, sharing a dungeon seed with a friend, and if you both complete it (independently) within a time limit, getting bonus items.

Plus overall just generally refining gameplay systems, flow, and story based on everything I learned from the first game.

Visually I'm going for a sort of PS1 sprite style, so more animations & detail plus some particle effects (think games like Legend of Mana, Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden 2) to enhance it further. The new character artist is just incredible. Look at this poo poo. It's so good. The environments will be getting a big upgrade as well. More complex + detailed 2D shapes and prefabs instead of primarily just individual tiles linked together. Plus (hopefully) a better, cleaner UI.

I'm not yet working on this full time since we're actually on the verge of crowdfunding a puzzle-JRPG spinoff (Puzzle Explorers: A Tangledeep Story) but I was so excited to get started that I just launched into it in my free time.
--

As for Tangledeep 1, we have a new build in beta now that adds a 14th job (for Legend of Shara & Switch owners) plus a bunch of new 2H weapons. It'll be out before the Steam summer sale!

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Just bought the DLC on sale on steam - how do you unlock the Sorceress class? Says in the update it should appear if you own the LoS DLC, but no sign of it on a new save.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Razakai posted:

Just bought the DLC on sale on steam - how do you unlock the Sorceress class? Says in the update it should appear if you own the LoS DLC, but no sign of it on a new save.

Mmmm it appears for me in a new save slot (you can see the others are locked)

Does the expansion appears in the build version, on the bottom part, on the main menu?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yep - I even started a Shara game and restarted in case of that, still just blank. I'll pop on the Discord or something I suppose.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Turns out you need to complete the Shara DLC before you get the class - that's my weekend sorted!

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

zirconmusic posted:

Yes Tangledeep 2 is coming. It's still a ways off, public builds by the end of year, early access 2021 if I had to guess. But my code is like an order of magnitude better, cleaner, and more easily maintainable and that makes development really exciting and fun. And yes I'm streaming this 1-2 hours a day!

I love this game but lol at the idea that any of us will still be alive in a year, much less making video games

(I mean, if we are all alive, I will play the game happily, because I like it a lot,, but it is much more likely we'll all be dead and our dumb ghosts will vaguely remember what games were and wish they could play them)

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Shara campaign is fun, in some ways moreso than the regular game as I'm not a fan of things like the corral, item dream, managing class swaps etc - I just want to dungeon dive and kill stuff. The assembler facility boss felt like an enormous jump in difficulty, although it was only after dying I realised that you could probably charm the adds, and that's the intended way to win - I spent the whole fight running around slowly killing the assemblers with consumables before finally getting blown up by a laser beam.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Wanderer's Journeys are also 'standalone' adventures with focus on varied dungeon delving, I recommend them when you unlock them.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I've been sleeping on this game for a while and it turns out it's a really charming and lovely little game! The art and music are lovely, and I was really pleasantly surprised to find out that the tone of the game is really cute and friendly. Really enjoying it so far.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

anime tupac posted:

I love this game but lol at the idea that any of us will still be alive in a year, much less making video games

I have a quote taped to my wall, from one of many conversations with Unormal:

Unormal posted:

You know what we should do with the rest of our paltry years on this hideous planet in our grubby corpseflesh, (Madjack)?

Make some awesome video games.
When the ventilator comes for me, at least I'll know I'll leave a broad legacy of monsters to crush.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

I have a quote taped to my wall, from one of many conversations with Unormal:

When the ventilator comes for me, at least I'll know I'll leave a broad legacy of monsters to crush.

I'm not even much of a gamer, but because you mention Unormal, I play Qud and this; surely that crossover has to mean something, that both are obviously intelligent, or something, right? Is it possible that games are good?? (I shout into the night sky) video gaaaaammes ??

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cephas posted:

I've been sleeping on this game for a while and it turns out it's a really charming and lovely little game! The art and music are lovely, and I was really pleasantly surprised to find out that the tone of the game is really cute and friendly. Really enjoying it so far.

Same. For whatever reason I was motivated to beat TOME on Normal mode with infinite lives because I got so tired of running through the same dungeons again and again.

People in the Switch thread recommended this game and I got it on sale and it's so so different from TOME but also really great. I'm very happy with it and fell hard into it, which I didn't expect. Not that I'm very far in.

That said is it worth picking up the DLC on Switch right away or should I keep going and see if I still feel the same later? It's the Dawn of Dragons DLC. Like am I missing anything at the moment, or is it more of a big deal late game. I'm only level 8 right now with my first character so I doubt I'm very far into the game, but I do know that the DLC gives you some extra tools for budoka which is the job I'm favoring atm and will likely return to after picking up some stuff from the other jobs. I want to focus on unarmed and bleeds for a Bloody Knuckles build. I guess that'll take me to Brigand and Wild Child for a bit and I may pick up some Bow mastery so that I can attack from far. Not sure what to do for defense though and don't know if I should think about criticals as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A new update

quote:

Hello adventurers! Patch 1.4 introduces Ronin Mode, a new challenge that gives you a wildly-variable set of skills, new monster encounters, and a streamlined dungeon!

Ronin Mode Basics

In this mode, you do not pick a job. In fact, the job system is effectively removed!

Instead, when you start the game, you are assigned 12 random active abilities and 6 random passive abilities, all of which are purchased with JP. These abilities come from an enormous pool of skills and include over 50 NEW, never-before-learnable skills such as effects from Legendary items. We guarantee you will find some interesting combinations!

As you venture through Tangledeep as a Ronin, you'll also find not just more monsters, but also randomly-generated monsters (similar to Wanderer's Journeys in Legend of Shara) fighting alongside the monster ensemble you're used to.

You'll have to use observation, tactics, and ingenuity to learn the abilities & patterns of these new monsters and overcome them. Not to mention... they can be captured as pets!

If your character is defeated, you'll retain your "meta" progress like in Heroic Mode, but you will have to roll a new character with new skills. That's just how it is!

Other Ronin Mode Changes

There are a variety of other tweaks in Ronin Mode to generally streamline the game and encourage that "one more run" style of gameplay we all know and love.

Gold find rate is increased by 33%
Magic items (equipment w/ affixes) are now +10% more common
Orbs of Reverie are more common
You can now access Job Trials anytime, as long as you have the JP
You can switch clothes at the wardrobe anytime, to any job
A powerful RELIC will be dropped by each of the 4 major bosses
Weapon Masteries cannot be learned, except for Ultimate Masteries, but may be assigned as starting skill(s)
The Mysterious Wanderer (from Legend of Shara) is no longer available
Either Old Amber Station OR Fungal Caverns, and Ancient Ruins OR Stonehewn Halls, have been removed (no need to backtrack / jump back and forth between branches)

Actually, past December the dev pushed also an important change regarding pets:

quote:

BALANCE
BIG CHANGE! Corral pets now passively regenerate health at a rate of 2.5% per turn, if they have not taken damage in 10 turns. This means that your pet can now heal to full relatively quickly between fights, hopefully making many more pet types viable, even if they don’t have self-heal abilities. Also, naturally, they will heal to 100% when in town or campfire areas.
Monster pets now gain 100% of the XP you get, instead of 50%.
When ‘something special’ happens between two pets, the newly-created monster is now *guaranteed* to get at least as many abilities as the least-skilled parent (previously, the guarantee was only 1 power)
The “Opulent” affix should no longer spend gold multiple times per turn, even if you manage to perform multiple attacks in a single turn[]

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 20, 2021

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hey, that's kinda neat. Might have to dust this game back off.

Even if I don't (can't remember why it didn't grab me), I dig that the developers are still standing behind it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tangledeep is like Stardew in that I know I could be obsessed with it if I picked it up at the right moment. I'll get back to it one day.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i picked this up on switch recently and am currently playing the poo poo out of it. i like that i can make it through 10 floors or so after only a brief time, instead of grinding the first 4 floors fifty times like most RLs.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I want to like this game more than I do.

I like games where I get to customize the doo-doo out of my character, cross-classing and picking the skills that appeal to me, etc. And I like roguelikes, where each run is randomized and the main thing you carry over is hard-earned player experience.

But the main goals of this game seem at odds to me. You're encouraged to spend a lot of time customizing and gearing up your dudette to either throw it all away (roguelike mode) or to definitely win after some time has passed (non-roguelike mode).

Am I missing something or is this game just unfortunately not for me?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I think the wealth of healing and recovery options, the town portal, item dreams, renewable pets, etc all encourage potentially longer runs compared to other roguelikes. At least they feel long to me, and I find each individual character that I build to be more memorable than something like DCSS.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Agreed, but that's part of the gripe. In DCSS I know I'm probably gonna die any minute, so I'm paying full attention.

In Tangledeep a lot of the encounters are trivial and encourage me to zone out and hold the fightey button but then I won't notice things have gone wrong until after things have gone somewhat/significantly wrong, and if I die then I lose much more playtime.

Are you generally on your toes all the time for a whole run? Maybe I just need to tune all the combat to be harder or leave areas sooner than I have been previously, though the latter feels [spooky voice]suboptimal[/spooky voice].

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I am because preserving HP is super high priority for me, in order to horde potions. As such I use abilities in pretty much every fight, rarely bump hitting if another option is available. That way you can trigger more Pandora's Boxes and get better stuff.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

From what I remember it's a bad idea to open more than two or three boxes?

I agree though, a lot of the game's design while good in of itself is at odds with other aspects, it's a slightly confused game. I haven't played any of the newer modes that streamline the dungeon etc but when I get back to the game I get the feeling they might work better

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

From what I remember it's a bad idea to open more than two or three boxes?

Nah,they don't increase the difficulty enough. You can pick up a dozen without a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think I'm warming up to this a bit, though I'm still not sure about my very-long-term interest.

Is this the kind of game where once you've beaten it once you've seen most of what it has to offer outside of different player character builds?

How long does an average successful run usually take?

I think it makes more sense to me as a game with an ending that just has some procgen and repetition along the way. Though I've yet to try the streamlined mode; there's a good chance that'll be more to my liking for randomized runs.

Oh! Does the Switch version have the Casino yet? I saw a journal page about it but seem to remember it missing or at least missing features from the original Switch release.

e: The Switch version does have the Casino.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 12, 2021