Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I can't see what could possibly go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

KhediveRex posted:

Lemmy Frisker

Hahaha this took me a second

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Toalpaz posted:

N-No! You're the one that joined the last four games I joined!

:blastu:

It's only creepy if you're next to each other on every playerlist!

Oh shi

KhediveRex posted:

Hey Bee.

How's life? Whatcha up to? Keeping busy?

Done any crimes lately?

If you two are in a scumdoc without me I'm gonna feel left out :j::arghfist:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BottleKnight posted:

This post pings me.

Hmmmmm.

Go on..

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Scum Max is terrifying. Like, imagine you're a tree and all he wants to do is set you on fire, and he's really good at it.

:sadpeanut: :ohdearsass: :sadpeanut:

##vote Max just in case.

BottleKnight posted:

It just feels like you're trying to imitate a town poster!!

it pings me

Fair enough.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

Why wouldn't a cop hassle the hippie?

:arghfist::350:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

hambeet posted:

pod recently did that five cop thing where they all had different sanities or whatever. i can't remember what that setup was called. i was in that game. you suck pod.

Yeah it was Shine VI which he ran a few months ago, there was a dethy built in to the roles.

In that game I was an insane cop who was skeptical about my sanity due to my flavor but ignored it (link). I investigated someone as scum, scum jumped on that to help drive a mislynch, and then I got scumrushed and town lost.

CCKeane posted:

I'm going to claim this as a jump start.

I'm a desk cop, I get One (1) investigation...n0. But! The flavor I got seemed to strongly imply I was paranoid so there's that.

Anyway MMT came up scum so do with that what you will.

Usually I just ignore n0 investigations but, given the flavor of this game, can imagine that you're telling the truth here. All I'm going to say is that there's no way this game is as easy as "town has a bunch of cops that they'll use to investigate scum and vote them out with no trouble".

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Although wait just a sec, I will say that I re-checked my role to see if my flavor gave me any clues and I didn't have any? That's interesting.

Prince of Space posted:

It took me a second go-through to understand what was going on with CCKeane's claim at first, but that's only because I wasn't aware that 'n0' is shorthand for night 0.

So he's claiming that his one-time ability to investigate someone night zero of CopCon has already been used, and it was used to inspect Murmur Twin, who came back positive for scumminess?

Is there something else I'm missing, or is this just a freebie? It seems pretty obvious who we'd go after next if CCKeane's claim turns out false.

Definitely be aware that Cop Sanity (where you can't necessarily trust results, see my last post) is a thing. And while it's rare to see insane / paranoid / naive cops, the last game that Pod ran had them and the flavor of this game makes me immediately question how good investigations are going to be.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

If we do have a bunch of cops of varying sanity, I'd put money on Pod doing something like making all the scum godfathers, thus forcing us to play mafia.

Just setup spec, but I wouldn't put it past Pod to mess with us a bit.

Hah I also thought of "the scum team is all godfathers", that would be a pretty funny way to balance town having a bunch of cops.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

hambeet posted:

you can imagine that the person saying you may or may not be scum, and that they don't really know either way, is telling the truth?

I can imagine that Keane had a n0 cop, used it on me, got SCUM, but is unsure about it because his flavor implies that his sanity might be in question.

Because, as mentioned, I just played in a Pod game where I copped someone, got SCUM, but was unsure about it because my flavor implied that my sanity have been in question.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

I never believe n0 cops because they're never real, but also claiming a n0 cop is a null tell so :shrug:

Keane’s might be the first ever n0 cop claim that I’ve ever believed, even if it’s me as scum - the whole “flavor makes me question my sanity” thing feels detailed for a d1 fakeclaim, and the flavor of this game / fact that Pod just ran a game with insane cops with flavor clues makes it seem viable to me.

That said, I don’t really know what to do with that other than to make a note of it and continue playing mafia.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

What're you a cop?

Oooh the trap is set, very nice.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Gimme like three hours to get home from work and I’ll give the game effort, to this point nothing has really stood out but I’ll admit I’ve mostly been skimming on what has been a rather slow d1.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I just got home and am diving into this game right now. I should be around from now until deadline.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

If I have to make a hard call, gonna say no. Scum Max is terrifying. Like, imagine you're a tree and all he wants to do is set you on fire, and he's really good at it.

Town Max Hmmms.

Murmur Twin posted:

:sadpeanut: :ohdearsass: :sadpeanut:

##vote Max just in case.

I can see where this might not have been entirely clear to people, but this post was a reference to my secret life as a tree wizard. Here's a thing I wrote for t/d a year and a half ago for people who have no idea what I'm talking about.

Apologies if it came off as clique-y but it's not a post that I put a ton of thought into.

Max posted:

Weak vote, MMT

I'm pinged by Max taking my vote seriously - to me the vote was an obvious joke even if you don't know me very well, and Max does. The only reason I can see to criticize my vote is scummy self-consciousness.

Max posted:

Also MMT is playing into her scum meta. She's mostly commented on safe topics and hasn't made any hard calls about people's alignments based on how they are posting.

Sorry MMT, ILU but also die scum.

I have a meta scum read on Max based on this post - generally speaking, when I'm quiet on D1 Max brings up my meta but then says something like "but I want to give her a day or two just in case she's town". This time he went straight to me being scum, which to me says he's not curious about what my alignment is.

##vote Max

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

SolusLunes posted:

As someone who always suspects Max I want to do a thing that flies in the face of 'don't defend someone else' again:

I don't have faith in freelynch lurker rules, and I imagine most people, including Max, don't either. I'm 100% down with lynching someone D1 for being a complete lurker, because freelynches never happening means that lurking is a safe place for scum to hide.

I don't think Max wanting to lynch Kashuno, a lurker, is a scum tell.

What's your opinion of Max's alignment?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

I'm quoting this to illustrate something else here. You have no strong reads. Some stuff happened since this post was made, that you even said you agree with. Then you make your post about Rex looking at the use of a single word but say absolutely nothing about their behavior this game otherwise, and vote them. Bad.

---

I've made connections like that before as well, but I generally keep that under my hat and pursue that suspicion by actually engaging with the person to get them to spill more info about other players, or press them in general to see how they react.

KB has completely skipped this step

Actually I think the biggest thing pinging me right now is the effort that Max has put into criticizing KB's case while still having a lurker vote on Kash. I think that Town Max would have either

(a) said "I don't agree with KB's case" and moved on, or
(b) accused KB of being scum and voted for him

Max's posts don't read like someone trying to solve a mystery to me.

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, no.

So this post gives me another scum lean. There is no chance Max would see my post on KR and think that I was scum making up a case on this issue. He knows me well enough to know this was a really iffy subject for me to pursue for any reason and I wouldn't be making this up.

I agree with this.

Kashuno posted:

not good

Oh my god did literally this entire game think that was a real vote?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

SolusLunes posted:

I thought it was a real vote!

Inside jokes are generally not known by people who weren't on the inside for them.

So Tobbs said "Max is dangerous at scum" and you think I thought "oh no that is a real thing I should base a real vote on"?

Like I can't be mad because apparently everyone thought it, I'm more just baffled by it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Does MMT agree with KB's read on KR? She doesn't really say one way or another, she just has a problem with me addressing it.

I don't think that KB's case was correct, but if the two choices are:

(a) He's town who thought he found a gotcha
(b) He's scum making a fake case, down to feigning discomfort about bringing the topic up at all

I'd confidently choose (a). My problem with you addressing it is that you're pointing out reasons that KB's case is incorrect (which isn't alignment-specific either way) instead of pointing out reasons that you think he's scummy.

And I think Rex is town and believe him when he says he realized Toal's pronouns were wrong midway through day 1. Regardless of whether or not I agree with what he's saying, I definitely believe that he's engaged by trying to figure out who the scum are.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

I read it more as a really weak joke vote that was a little too self concious.

You posted a lot about me and the fact that I have made reads, but you don't say if you agree with them, or what your thoughts are on every other player in the game. Do you agree with KB's argument? KR's? Other people's conspicuous absence?

I'm explaining the reasons for why I am voting for the person who I am voting for, who is the person I think is mostly likely to be scum.

Are you?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

I'm fascinated to hear about this chain lunch situation you have just invented.

Max posted:

gently caress I forgot about BK.

:burger:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

I should vote you for that.

:glomp:

Max posted:

I am still eagerly awaiting Kash's reads, yes.

If Kash gets back and knocks the ball out of the park with cases that make him look clearly town, who would you be voting?

Max posted:

You posted a lot about me and the fact that I have made reads, but you don't say if you agree with them, or what your thoughts are on every other player in the game. Do you agree with KB's argument? KR's? Other people's conspicuous absence?

Sorry, I'm trying this really new thing for me where I focus all of my attention on the person who pings me the most :j:

My next two scum picks would be BK (who voted me and peaced out) and Solus (who I think I spotted a tell on, also his content is primarily just hedging on Max).

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I am down for a cashew uno lunch. Sure, lurker rules might take care of him, but zero posts?

Die.

##vote Kashuno

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

B- and BK like to coast as scum with minimal engagement.

Let's dunk a scum bee D1 guys.

##vote b-minus1

This feels really disengaged compared to what I'd expect from Tobbs.

Tobbs: why b- over BK or Kash? Any opinions on Max or any of the people voting for Max?

If anything I think b- is town simply because he usually seems really scummy to me when he's scum and he hasn't this game.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

If anything I think b- is town simply because he usually seems really scummy to me when he's scum and he hasn't this game.

b-minus1 posted:

before you say anything, no i'm not purposely trying to take anything out of context, but i did delete other text in your post that wasn't related to kash and mmt. "mmt playing into scum meta/die scum/ waiting on mmt to come back" to me, this looks like you are trying to disguise an mmt scumbus with a kash joke read/vote so that you don't actually have to commit to voting mmt.

oh noooo

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

I think it's odd how the conversation got steered my way

Odd how so?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Kashuno posted:

I’m fine on prince for now

Does no one else see a problem with tobbs posting setupspec he supposedly knew was false

Wait what? I feel like I might not be understanding what you're saying.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

If we do have a bunch of cops of varying sanity, I'd put money on Pod doing something like making all the scum godfathers, thus forcing us to play mafia.

Just setup spec, but I wouldn't put it past Pod to mess with us a bit.

Like to be fair, I had the same thought about "what if the scum team is all Godfathers?"

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Actually, on a re-read, ##vote Solus

SolusLunes posted:

This is... inaccurate. I would argue that commenting on Keane's n0 paranoid cop claim isn't particularly safe.

On the other hand, I know I can't read you, and I try to remind myself to default to "never trust max". So:

##vote Max

---

It is possible that you're just scum who's seen an opening on a meta case.

---

And that's, of course, the thing I always seem to harp on people for.

I'm still suspicious of you but I had thought you'd voted her. ##unvote

Solus votes Max for casing me, and then walks it back when he realized Max didn't vote for me.

SolusLunes posted:

As someone who always suspects Max I want to do a thing that flies in the face of 'don't defend someone else' again:

I don't have faith in freelynch lurker rules, and I imagine most people, including Max, don't either. I'm 100% down with lynching someone D1 for being a complete lurker, because freelynches never happening means that lurking is a safe place for scum to hide.

I don't think Max wanting to lynch Kashuno, a lurker, is a scum tell.

He then pokes holes in a case on Max without mentioning an opinion of his alignment, prompting me to ask Solus what he thinks of Max.

SolusLunes posted:

My opinion is that he's still scummy, but not for that specific reason.

---

Town Max seems to generally have more chill than this? I'm also suspicious that Max made me back down on voting him despite my initial gut reaction.

##vote Max

---

gently caress you know what I just re-read things and I don't know what the gently caress anymore

I'm getting more caffeine

##unvote

He clarifies that Max is scummy, but not for that reason, then votes him, then unvotes him.

Solus: if you thought Max was scummy, why were you talking about the things that you didn't think were scummy? And then if you don't think Max is scummy now, who do you think is?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Kashuno posted:

He knows we aren’t all cops of varying sanities because he ain’t one

It feels like he was trying to get people to put themselves out there with claims

Haha for half a minute I thought you cracked the case but yeah, he said "a bunch of". I'm null on Tobbs.

Prince of Space posted:

Hey I'm stuck at an airport waiting on a delayed flight irl so I'm on my phone, teleconferencing in to CopCon.

Similarly I'm null on PoS - I also felt like he was a more active poster in Shine V but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a game day if he's claiming irl circumstances since he hasn't done anything overtly scummy in my eyes.

Can I get opinions on Solus?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

KhediveRex posted:

Someone care to explain why it's better to lynch? I look at it from the perspective that flipping a lurker won't give us any insight into what went down today, regardless of what team they're on.

Hmmmmm.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

KhediveRex posted:

Someone care to explain why it's better to lynch? I look at it from the perspective that flipping a lurker won't give us any insight into what went down today, regardless of what team they're on.

To answer the question:

(a) It's better to have a nonzero chance of hitting scum than a 0% chance.
(b) The only method town has to win the game is to vote out scum (which is why "regardless of what team they're on" feels like a suuuuper weird thing to say)
(c) In order to lynch someone, 9 people need to vote them, so it will definitely give insight on some level.
(d) If we no-lynch, then we just replay D1 tomorrow but with one less town.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Toalpaz posted:

I'm writing up my mega post list atm but I don't like how Kash come through and read thread and the results were him throwing light shade at people, dropping a vote for someone that no one is really considering before deadline, facing criticism for his casework, and wandering off without unvoting or engaging with people's discussions on possible vote leaders.

I kinda feel the same way, except last time I remember him doing that (Sandman Mafia) he was both town and correct.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Also ~3 hours to go and uh

Again, that's quite the spread.

I would like to point out that Max

(a) started out the game attacking me/KB's posts without casing us or calling us scum
(b) has his vote parked on Kash (because he had no posts at the time)
(c) seemed really concerned about the deadline
(d) came under pressure and ramped up his posting
(e) stopped getting cased
(f) stopped posting altogether

And would like to know why we're not voting him. Like I'm starting to think we were on the right track and got hoodwinked by his scumbros steering the convo elsewhere.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

And would like to know why we're not voting [Max]. Like I'm starting to think we were on the right track and got hoodwinked by his scumbros steering the convo elsewhere.

##vote Max

Be the change, etc etc

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

28766f69642a2930 posted:

Solus tunneling Max again looks scummy. I don’t really see how you can look at Max’s content in the last few pages and think yeah, he’s the right vote today.

1. He's been throwing shade at people for having incorrect cases, but not calling them scum.
2. He's literally only voted once (for someone who hadn't posted yet)
3. He's posted about the deadline multiple times, but hasn't made any alignment calls on anyone. All he's doing is asking other people questions.
4. As soon as people stopped being suspicious of him, he stopped posting.

He isn't posting like someone who is invested in figuring out who scum is, he's concerned with looking like he's town.

Birb: do you disagree with any of that?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I've been staring at my laptop for the last four hours since I got home from work and need a break. I'll be back before deadline.

I feel very strongly it should be Max today.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

What do you think of bee?

Usually when people call him out he's pretty vehement about his defense, how he's clearly town etc. He is barely acknowledging anyone is suspicious of him and ducking down in hopes someone else pushes a case imo

I'm null on bee but actively think Max is scum, and this close to deadline I don't want to bother with null reads.

I will say that almost every time I play with b- and he's scum I end up with a strong scum read on him really early on that I don't have here.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs, can you tell me your opinion of Max / my case on Max?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I gave him a quick re-read. He seemed a bit tunnely on KB, and in a lot of cases tunneliness is next to townliness.

Can you quote me where he cases or votes for KB?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

I didn't vote for KB, so that won't be there.

OK so do you find this post at all shady?

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I gave him a quick re-read. He seemed a bit tunnely on KB, and in a lot of cases tunneliness is next to townliness.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

PS I think b- is the patsy and won't vote him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Sorry my bad, I thought "tunneling" involved calling someone scum or making a case on them.