Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
If you goto a town hall, your elected officials will be there and you can voice your opinions. In my town it’s mainly old people, but most towns have a ton of people from all denominations

Walk up to your elected officials, shake their hands, and be peaceful, explain your cause. If you play your card right (I mean without playing gin rummy) you can accomplish democracy

My experiences:
1. Do not talk to the police there
2. Don’t smoke
3. Don’t bring attention to yourself
4. Don’t harass anyone
5. Cameras are limited to pictures of yourself, friends, fam to be taken with elected officials

I strongly suggest writing a bill beforehand, with atleast 10 photocopies, for your congressman and mayor

If you’re in a frat, gang, whatever, keep it at home, that’s where the town people discuss politics

Hopefully this doesn’t break any rules, if it does I don’t mind being gassed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

I was in the same troop as my county commissioner for a while.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Bel Shazar posted:

I was in the same troop as my county commissioner for a while.

Alpha, Beta, Cappa?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

My elected officials that I have touched:

* Senator
* Mayor
* Congressman
* State Senator
* State Representative

It is not that hard to touch your reps, IMO.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Insanite posted:

My elected officials that I have touched:

* Senator
* Mayor
* Congressman
* State Senator
* State Representative

It is not that hard to touch your reps, IMO.

The key is not to touch them but to reach them on your level of politics so you can learn the system.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Who you really want to get to know is thier secretaries.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yes i met mitt romney once he ws alright kinda smelled like poo poo

He was buying bage
Apricot jelly wtf romney

Anyway i told him trump would win in 2014 and he said lol nah

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I met both democratic presidents of the US and my local reps and basically any black politician in illinois of any stature.

Thank you Obama for being so goddamn disorganized when you got elected to senate I had to get my representative instead of my senator to sponsor me.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I met Dennis Kucinich in Dulles airport in 2008. Back when he seemed like just a cool progressive and not an Assad apologist. Not my representative tho. He was just walkin thru and I was like oh hey, that's Dennis Kucinich.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
When you met your elected official, did they seem like top dog? I’d love to meet a president

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean I met Bill Clinton when he was president and yeah he was obviously the boss

I was like 6 years old at the time but i definitely remember thinking "dang, I bet this dude hi-fives all the ladies"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 18, 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

unidef freeman posted:

The key is not to touch them but to reach them on your level of politics so you can learn the system.

The key is not to shake their hands but to tuck your thumb down toward your pinky finger so they miss the natural stopping point. Politicians shake so many hands that the process is basically autonomic, and they'll only realize something has gone wrong after two or three awkward pumps of your forearm. It's such a basic part of their routine that a critical failure almost always throws them off because it feels like they somehow forgot how to breath for a second. If you keep a straight face they register it as them loving up.

It's called finning and it works like pokemon where bragging rights go to large collections or snagging big game. My crown jewels were Bill Clinton (post-presidency :( ), Mahmoud Abbas, and Joe Biden (VP-distinction). I, and everyone I know who had a shot at finning Obama chickened out.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I saw then-Governor Rick Perry at a Five Guys I was applying to work at. I was shocked to see him, so I didn't say anything other than 'Hello'.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Charlie Crist didnt tip me, I shook Rick Scott's cold hand, and had a private meeting with Bill Nelson where I found out he was too senile to have a basic conversation

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Its a blessing really, he would be so sad if he knew he lost.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Its a blessing really, he would be so sad if he knew he lost.

Nelson didn’t even know he was running for re-election if his “campaign” was any indication.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
The ceremonial office and desk of the governor of Oregon used to be totally open, so one day I went into the governor's office and sat down at is desk. This was during the summer of 1996, perhaps.

John Kitzhaber, who was the governor at the time, walked in, and I was like "Why is it so hot out?" And he just turns around, and looks at me, a 17 year old kid sitting at his desk, and says "I ordered this heat"

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'm a journalist so I've met a bunch of small time guys. I had a beer with senator Jerry Moran and he actually seemed like a reasonable guy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The key is not to shake their hands but to tuck your thumb down toward your pinky finger so they miss the natural stopping point. Politicians shake so many hands that the process is basically autonomic, and they'll only realize something has gone wrong after two or three awkward pumps of your forearm. It's such a basic part of their routine that a critical failure almost always throws them off because it feels like they somehow forgot how to breath for a second. If you keep a straight face they register it as them loving up.

It's called finning and it works like pokemon where bragging rights go to large collections or snagging big game. My crown jewels were Bill Clinton (post-presidency :( ), Mahmoud Abbas, and Joe Biden (VP-distinction). I, and everyone I know who had a shot at finning Obama chickened out.

Did you read about this Finning in the art of the deal by chance?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Met the current governor when he was running for Congress. Seemed nice enough, is definitely evil.

Met Duke Cunningham when I was a kid. He showed me his cool boat. Then he went to prison for corruption.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Met Bill Clinton post-Presidency. He was speaking at a MA college on behalf of a Senate candidate and I got to shake his hand.

Man's got charisma.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I waited in a lobby once with my state senator. We were there for different reasons, but just in the same building.

My mom went to high school with somebody who would go on to be the mayor of her hometown. He was also her accounting professor when she went back to college later in life. This was all before he was mayor, though. She also knew the woman he was running against for mayor, and didnt like her much.

Also, my college roommate would go on to get elected to the school board.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Had a pretty inconsequential run-in with Gavin Newsom (literally one of those everyone gets in a line and shakes hands) after a thing he spoke at last year while he was running, but then had this hilarious letter show up in the mail two weeks later:

Gotta love election years!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i arranged a meeting with my state representative to try and convince them to sponsor legislation to abolish the election of coroners (or to at least allow counties to decide whether the position should be appointed or elected) because the entire system is insane garbage. my representative is very conservative but the issue is low salience enough that i thought i might be able to sway her. fwiw, she and her assistant listened to me very politely and seemed interested initially but i later got an email from her office saying they weren't interested in pursuing the issue any further.

it's more than i can say of my state senator who literally never announces his events ahead of time and has yet to answer any e-mail i've sent him in the last five years.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My congressional representative, Chuck Fleishman, TN-3, visited my lab to learn about my research. He was an impish fellow, too small for the suit he borrowed from his father, and his handshake was limp and moist. He inspired nothing but vague contempt in me and soon thereafter I moved to colorado, where I'm now represented by a hardier stock of elected official.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I met the current governor of CT about a year before he was elected. Wasn't even a political event, he was visiting an innercity school I was working at at the time.
I briefly chatted with him without knowing who he was, found out later.
Kind of strange in retrospect lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I went to a to-do to see Tom Udall at the Jean Cocteau theatre and didn't know who GRRM was. GRRM was impressed by that and Udall was humbled.