Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like it when it says ‘some pulp.’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Jerusalem posted:

Also now is the time for me to finally reveal my own terrible truth, I prefer "Motherfucking Goddamn Orange Peel Beef!" to "SHE WAS ABUSIVE TO THE STAFF!" :colbert:

My brain must be broken, I was looking up the video clip for Orange Peel Beef, and one of the comments said "he never had the makings of a varsity orange peel beef" and I literally cackled out loud

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
From the r/relationships thread...

My [24/f] fiance [33/m] has gotten way too into The Sopranos...

quote:

Using a throwaway because a lot of my friends know my username and this is honestly pretty embarrassing both for me and my fiance.

My fiance and I have been dating for about 3 years now (engaged for one) and while we've had our ups and downs things have been pretty great. He's kind, smart, and is the man I want to spend the rest of my life with...well that's at least how I felt until these past couple months.

Due to COVID we both have been spending much more time at home since late March since my classes for grad school were moved online and he now only goes into the office once a week. To help pass the time we decided to binge some classic shows we missed, and the first one we watched was the Sopranos. We got through it pretty quickly, and while I liked it my fiance LOVED it. So much so, that he started rewatching it the next day even though we had made plans to watch madmen next. This is when things started getting a little weird.

This rewatch took him a ridiculously short time to complete since he literally watched it all day: while "working from home," while we ate and he usually falls asleep with it on. He also has started acting like the mobsters in the show. It started with him yelling "OHH" really loudly everytime he enters a room or is surprised by something which I actually found kind of funny. But then it got more intense and strange, there's honestly too much to write but here's a list of "highlights" from the past couple of months:

He started smoking cigars all the time despite quitting tobacco 10 years ago
He started wearing a pinky ring
On the rare night he isn't plopped infront of the TV, he has his old college buddies over to play poker (without asking me first) for money
He said he "lent Jeff 5k at 2 points a week" 3 weeks ago. Jeff is a friend of his and a weed dealer, and I overheard him screaming about a missed payment on the phone last week. I'm assuming its Jeff but who knows if the phone call was even real.
He jokes about how he's going to "spend the night at his goomars house" when he leaves for work sometimes. Goomar is slang in the show for mistress, and this is really hurtful because I know he used to have a mistress at the beginning of our relationship.
He yelled at me for getting the wrong kind of orange juice at the store, to the point I was in tears. Apparently he was recreating a scene from the show I didn't remember, and his response to me being upset was to try and show me the scene (which I refused to do).
He renamed our boat from my name to the stugots, which is apparently mob slang for dick.
If I ever try to confront him about this childish nonsense he tells me he's "just breaking balls" and doesn't think I should take it seriously. He then throws my own binge watching (which I started doing since I would rather not watch the same drat show 24/7) in my face if I tell him he needs to take a break.

My fiance was such a good man, and I still think he's probably my soulmate. But I just can't take this craziness any longer, and I don't think I can live with a man who does nothing but imitate fictional people all day.

I lost it at the orange juice part.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Holy poo poo. That sounds like me when I got into the show at 14, ya know, for like, the duration of a teenage phase.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

escape artist posted:

WHATEVER HAPPENED THERE?!

God rest his soul.

banned from Starbucks posted:

My one issue with Talking Sopranos is the guests only stay for like 10min and then they leave. I wish they would just stay for the entire thing. Each show is only about an hour it's not like a huge commitment esp during covid.

Ok 2 issues..... these friggin Bose ad breaks are painful. Hopefully next season Bose just tosses them a premade ad to play that we can adblock. "These Bose headphones are fuckin great. You can uh do all your phone calls and computin poo poo with em." Oh Bobby never change

My issue is the god damned sound level, which never improves.

I can't hear poo poo if I'm doing anything else at ALL...Cooking, doing dishes, laundry, showering or much of anything. Maybe Bose headphones would help. haha. Been digging the hell out of it and it's great listening to takes and insight from people on set, but I loving swear the only time I can listen to it is streaming it while I'm going to bed - it's so quiet - and I inevitably fall asleep half way thru.

I asked if anyone knew a good The Wire podcast so I found myself binging the Unspolied one at work lately. Jveve erusalem did a similarly awesome Wire thread that I've linked a few times. Anyhow...

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/unspoiled-the-wire

It has its problems but the hosts are sort of charming and it's neat listening to 2 people (one who's seen the entire series and one who hasn't) sort of revisit it, one with new eyes and one who already knows what happens, and let's face it, the show is so god damned dense you almost HAVE to watch it 2 or 3 times to know jack poo poo about it beyond the surface so I'm gonna recommend it until someone else posts something better. It starts out a little rough but this far in it seems to have found its footing.

I'm up half way thru S3 and it's grown on me if anyone likes this sort of thing. It's keeping me sane at work anyways which is enough fr me right now.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Pope Corky the IX posted:

From the r/relationships thread...

My [24/f] fiance [33/m] has gotten way too into The Sopranos...

I lost it at the orange juice part.

There was one a few years (?) ago where a boyfriend got obsessed with Sopranos and started talking in an Italian accent all the time. I remember he called his shower the drippini

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Another Bill posted:

There was one a few years (?) ago where a boyfriend got obsessed with Sopranos and started talking in an Italian accent all the time. I remember he called his shower the drippini

he is NOT Italian

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

BiggerBoat posted:

God rest his soul.

I love how before that he's like '...The shooting!' like Phil could reference anything else.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Rewatching for the first time in years.

Holy poo poo is Nancy Marchand good. It's some next-level poo poo I don't think I appreciated the couple times I saw this show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just finished rewatching the first season. One of the things that intrigues me this go-around is the missing head of the family, Ercole DiMeo. There's this weird absence at the top that's not really dwelled on, and I'd think a viewer could be forgiven for thinking when Tony talks about the "old man" he's talking about his own father.

I read he's based on a real guy, but I still think they're saying something. Like him being a complete non-entity gives more weight to the looming indictments throughout Season 1 and Carmela's anxiety that Tony won't be able to do poo poo for her if he gets locked away; he'll disappear like DiMeo.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

PostNouveau posted:

Just finished rewatching the first season. One of the things that intrigues me this go-around is the missing head of the family, Ercole DiMeo. There's this weird absence at the top that's not really dwelled on, and I'd think a viewer could be forgiven for thinking when Tony talks about the "old man" he's talking about his own father.

I read he's based on a real guy, but I still think they're saying something. Like him being a complete non-entity gives more weight to the looming indictments throughout Season 1 and Carmela's anxiety that Tony won't be able to do poo poo for her if he gets locked away; he'll disappear like DiMeo.

Yeah honestly the few times he gets mentioned it feels like the writers had forgotten about him up until then, compared to how richly realized the histories of the other characters were. Was there a DiMeo crew? Does he have any relatives? Tony doesn't even seem to recognize the name Ercole when Junior is talking about his other brother.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I might be reading too much into it. Maybe they just thought "Crime family in crisis because the decadeslong leader is in prison" is a cool setting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The closest they ever really get to covering the fallout from him being in prison is the flashback to just after Jackie Aprile had been named Acting Boss after DiMeo went away. Even that is more about Junior having thrown a tantrum about being passed over (again) for a younger man. The sense seems to be that the Family isn't particularly paranoid or concerned about having lost their decades-long Boss, more tense over whether Junior is gonna play ball or not.

Though given what we saw with Junior's trial, I suppose it's possible that DiMeo was on trial for months if not years and they'd all gotten used to a new status quo long before we was finally convicted and they had to make it real.

Also yes I'll shout it to the heavens every chance I get, Nancy Marchand was absolutely loving superb and even though everything after she died was great, I do love to play what if? and think about what more we might have gotten if she hadn't gotten sick and died.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Also yes I'll shout it to the heavens every chance I get, Nancy Marchand was absolutely loving superb and even though everything after she died was great, I do love to play what if? and think about what more we might have gotten if she hadn't gotten sick and died.

Same.

I think having her character around would have really upped a lot of the tension and probably would have shifted a lot of the focus on story lines. If I'm not mistaken, I think Chase is on record saying that Marchand's death made him shift a lot of gears with his planned story telling.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DiMeo apparently and unusually had both Jackie and Tony set up as his replacements so there was no tension about the chain of command save on Junior’s end.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

For some reasonI always die at, “At Blockbuster?!! How the gently caress did you do that?!”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They got rhesus monkeys workin’ as managers over there!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I've never seen The Practice or The West Wing, but it's very hard to believe Holland Taylor and Allison Janey put in better work than her those years they won over her. I think she got passed over because she already had 4 Emmys from the 70s.

I saw (on reddit comments, so grain of salt) that the plan for Livia was she would get busted with the stolen airline tickets and turn state's witness. Woulda been loving amazing to see her storyline actually get to the ending they'd planned.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The main storyline for season three was supposed to be Tony attempting some sort of relationship with Livia to try and prevent her from testifying about the airline tickets.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah honestly the few times he gets mentioned it feels like the writers had forgotten about him up until then, compared to how richly realized the histories of the other characters were. Was there a DiMeo crew? Does he have any relatives? Tony doesn't even seem to recognize the name Ercole when Junior is talking about his other brother.

Well, there was Rocco DiMeo who Richie can't help but mention whenever he can.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Vichan posted:

Well, there was Rocco DiMeo who Richie can't help but mention whenever he can.

What'd Ritchie do, kick his rear end and take his jacket or something? I can't remember if he ever mentioned it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

^burtle posted:

For some reasonI always die at, “At Blockbuster?!! How the gently caress did you do that?!”

First stop on the dirtbag express!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Another Bill posted:

First stop on the shitbird express!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ugh it was shitbird expess. That's what I typed the first time but I thought maybe my brain was mixing Tony up with Mr. Leahy. I'm getting old and I've smoked a lot of pot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
JERUSALEM HOW TF HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN MAD MEN

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I've also never seen Mad Men. I would happily join a new thread about it and watch it along with you guys if Jerusalem was up for it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree with the other posters who were mentioning it at the time that Mad Men is the only show I consider almost equal to this one in terms of subtlety, emotional intelligence, and character work.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Put me down as never seen:

Mad Men
The Office
Game of Thrones
True Blood
Walking Dead

And also blowing off after a few episodes:

Friends (sucks)
Big Bang Theory (sucks HARD)
Law & Order (OK)
Frasier (good, just never got around to it)

I think, in my case at least, there's just too much stuff calling out for my attention - more television, film, books, comics and what have you then there are hours in the loving day to dedicate to it, TBH. I always figure that if it's That Good, I'll eventually be able to watch it somewhere and usually for free so I never get that urgent desire to check stuff out, no matter how bad rear end people tell me something is or how much it's worth my time. I simply can't keep up with top tier TV to tell you the truth.

I didn't get into The Sopranos until the first 3 seasons were on DVD (which got me hooked and had me watching new episodes every Sunday night once I caught up - making time), Breaking Bad until around S4 (same thing) and The Wire until the whole thing was done with and was On Demand.

I still have Knives Out, Joker, Us, Uncut Gems plus a TON of stuff in my Netflix and Amazon Prime queues or sitting in Red Box or resting in the library waiting for me to watch...bookmarked podcasts for loving days...YouTube rabbit holes to climb down and unplayed video games to mess around with.

Sorry for all the :words:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Put me down as never seen:

Mad Men
The Office
Game of Thrones
True Blood
Walking Dead

And also blowing off after a few episodes:

Friends (sucks)
Big Bang Theory (sucks HARD)
Law & Order (OK)
Frasier (good, just never got around to it)

Yeah, Mad Men is probably the only essential one on this list.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
you could watch Game of Thrones for an absolute masterclass in what NOT to do

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I legit can not figure out why the waking dead was popular. It looked cheap, the actors were terrible, the suspense was 100% built on people forgetting that there is a zombie slowly walking towards them. (this is based on season 1)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Walking Dead is a very bad TV show yeah.

TIL (while looking through Corky’s con pics) I learned that Carmine was played by the dude Green Book was about. That’s nuts.

I just finished my rewatch of the show a couple of hours ago, having started not long after the writeups in this thread did. Jerusalem, I really want to thank you for your absolutely fantastic work in this thread. Despite the fact I was reading these immediately after watching each episode, it was never a chore to go through every scene a second time, and it definitely helped with keeping track of the minor characters (especially on the New York side of things), as well as connecting dots I hadn’t quite thought of. Really incredible stuff.

And for the rest of you, it was a pleasure to also follow along with this small but dedicated community discussing each episode. Even when I vehemently disagreed with the takes presented (and that happened a fair amount!), it was just great to see everyone discussing what I still 100% believe to be the best show ever made.

I had a plan to write a whole thing about my thoughts on the final scene, but honestly Jerusalem and other posters covered my thoughts pretty well with the whole “the not knowing is the point” thing. One thing I would bring up is that I 100% believe the scene is shot, edited, etc in a way that Chase wanted you to think that Members Only guy could have shot him, and that the cut to black is a shot from Tony’s POV that no longer exists because he’s dead etc......but that this is only intended as a possibility, not as definitively exactly what was meant to happen then. Essentially, I agree with everything in that Master of Sopranos article except his final conclusion. I was also happy to notice that BiggerBoat also thought the building in the Holstens mural looks similar to The Inn at the Oaks - I don’t know it’s enough to say it’s 100% intentional, but that’s always the vibe I got from it, ever since I learned they created it especially for the scene.

By far my favourite episode of the show is Kennedy and Heidi. It’s just so beautifully monstrous, and there are so many perfect moments, and the use of Comfortably Numb, and the way the lyric about catching a “fleeting glimpse” that is gone before you can fully notice fitting in to the ending and what happens afterwards, always blows me away. The beacon is such a loving incredible piece of imagery.

I’ve also been reading along with The Sopranos Sessions (doing Jerusalem’s posts for scene-by-scene analysis, and then opening the book for a thematic overview), and now I’ve done with the series I am SO excited to dig into the Chase interviews. I think it’s a much better book than some of the posters in this thread give it credit for, despite agreeing that there are some annoying errors at times - they’re almost always really small potatoes stuff, though, so it’s not a big deal.

uhhh.......Sopranos rules!!!!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just got no time for looking at the tv all day (computer screen on the other hand..) You know what shows I've watched to completion? Hell I can't even count the Simpsons anymore. Frasier. Daria. Dexter. Breaking bad (because of gf) The Boondocks. Hannibal. Parks & rec (gf). That 70s show. And a few other odds and ends\miniseries etc. And this.

Mentioned before we've been watching House, a show I adored when it was on the air but lost track of when it's air time changed and conflicted with my rec hockey, and never watched again until lately. My god, binging it now is painful. It's so formulaic it could have spewed from the PowerBook of the lowliest Hollywood hack. Such a waste of the character. Some older shows just weren't made with streaming in mind and require that week between episodes. But beginning it after finishing my rewatch of this hasn't done it any favors.

I intend to knock off some of the ones mentioned here, though I don't care to revisit BB honestly.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Please do me a personal favor and just watch two episodes of Mad Men instead of Joker

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

JERUSALEM HOW TF HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN MAD MEN

It was one of those shows where by the time I had heard about it enough to want to see it, it was already 2-3 seasons deep and I figured,"Eh, I'll just wait for it to be done and then watch it all at my leisure...." and then it was over and I STILL haven't caught up with it, so taking it on as my next project seems like fun (provided I don't get like a season in and discover I hate it!). The one episode I did see I adored (Don Draper pitches an ad idea for the Kodak Carousel) and I hope that level of quality isn't an aberration.

escape artist posted:

I've also never seen Mad Men. I would happily join a new thread about it and watch it along with you guys if Jerusalem was up for it.

I'm intensely busy the next couple of months, but my hope was to roughly around September or maybe October start up a Mad Men watch thread, with the idea being that unlike Sopranos or The Wire this isn't a show I've watched and rewatched a dozen times but something I'm basically coming to fresh, and seeing how my perceptions line up/contrast with those familiar with the whole thing and where it goes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Sopranos rules!!!!

Escobarbarian has the makings of a Varsity Athlete :hai:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jerusalem posted:

It was one of those shows where by the time I had heard about it enough to want to see it, it was already 2-3 seasons deep and I figured,"Eh, I'll just wait for it to be done and then watch it all at my leisure...." and then it was over and I STILL haven't caught up with it, so taking it on as my next project seems like fun (provided I don't get like a season in and discover I hate it!). The one episode I did see I adored (Don Draper pitches an ad idea for the Kodak Carousel) and I hope that level of quality isn't an aberration.

That's the first season finale "The Wheel". It's not a fluke, the whole show is working on that level. Mad Men, to me, feels like the most direct continuation of The Sopranos in terms of tone and pacing; less whackings, same ennui. Like Matt Weiner really wanted to spend a lot more time exploring the inner workings of late season Tony, so he put him in a suit, slathered him in Brylcreem and turned him into Don Draper. The man who has everything - "And so much of it," he's told at one point - yet can't figure out why he never feels fulfilled.

Very excited by the prospect of a watch thread; I don't need an excuse to revisit the whole thing, but I'll take it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol just noticed in the episode with Livia's wake when Janice herds everyone into the sitting room to try to say good things about her, someone comes down the stairs in the background, sees what's going on, and goes back up the loving stairs to get away from it.

"Nope!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always thought that was Junior, but apparently not. Still, they clearly had more sense not to stick around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The episode where Christopher gets made and then keeps loving up gambling:

I don't think I get sports betting. I know bookies set the line and move it around as the game gets closer to generate as many bets as possible. But I don't know how they make money off that.

They actually have to have smarter positions than the bettors and are thus exposed to risk or do they take a small percentage off the action?