Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«114 »
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The show also makes it clear as the seasons go on that it's not like they turn one guy and then he's the one and only rat until he's exposed. They're working on multiple people and there is usually more than one informant active at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

Fun Shoe

Iirc David Chase confirmed in an interview somewhere that Jimmy Altieri was indeed a rat. Though I'm having trouble finding that specific interview via Google.

I swear I remember reading/hearing that somewhere though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

There's also ambiguity as to when people are flipped. Skip mentions that Pussy's "been on the federal tit since '98" but then in the third season Tony becomes convinced it happened back in '95. Jimmy seems to have been flipped during that pool hall bust, and Curto may have been flipped during the brothel bust. There's no telling how long Eugene had been an informant, but he was made alongside Christopher and knew Tony in high school. Jimmy Petrille over in the Lupertazzi family was a rat for something like twenty years.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

Why god?

Grimey Drawer

Watching the episode where AJ goes to a (lol) Mudvayne concert in the city and gets wasted and his eyebrows shaved off.

Tony's got a way out of left field wtf reaction to it where he starts asking if AJ has something sexual going on with a teacher and if they're doing poppers and sexual poo poo. I wonder where that came from. The soccer coach?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

PostNouveau posted:

Watching the episode where AJ goes to a (lol) Mudvayne concert in the city and gets wasted and his eyebrows shaved off.

Tony's got a way out of left field wtf reaction to it where he starts asking if AJ has something sexual going on with a teacher and if they're doing poppers and sexual poo poo. I wonder where that came from. The soccer coach?

No, he was already convinced that Wegler was gay and that's who he was referring to, though I'm not sure why he went with "poppers and weird sex"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

Why god?

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

No, he was already convinced that Wegler was gay and that's who he was referring to, though I'm not sure why he went with "poppers and weird sex"

Oh I must have missed that. It seemed so out of nowhere.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

"I dont fully understand football contracts but you can just be outright cut if you're shit right? With no penalties? Hockey needs that."

I Am Marc Bergevin IRL

Wonder if they could make a show with a rat as the antagonist and make people root for them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Oh I must have missed that. It seemed so out of nowhere.

Itís literally only because he was talking about Billy Budd in that previous episode haha. I didnít get it at first either.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Carmela also gets defensive of Wegler when Tony is making fun of her for suddenly being okay with gay people now that "she has a bunch of friends that are bologna smokers" when he has no idea she's been sleeping with him. That happens earlier in the same episode I believe.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

Why god?

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Itís literally only because he was talking about Billy Budd in that previous episode haha. I didnít get it at first either.

Oh, christ

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Yeah, when Carmela tells Tony he got Wegler as a college advisor, he asks "Wegman? The ricchione with the Billy Budd?"

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Man, I wish I could access the Sopranos / Wire writeups on a different site, so I don't have to admit to my friends that I am a member of this forum.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There's also ambiguity as to when people are flipped. Skip mentions that Pussy's "been on the federal tit since '98" but then in the third season Tony becomes convinced it happened back in '95. Jimmy seems to have been flipped during that pool hall bust, and Curto may have been flipped during the brothel bust. There's no telling how long Eugene had been an informant, but he was made alongside Christopher and knew Tony in high school. Jimmy Petrille over in the Lupertazzi family was a rat for something like twenty years.

There's a deleted scene from season 1 where Pussy gets flipped but I reckon they preferred the ambiguity.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

escape artist posted:

Man, I wish I could access the Sopranos / Wire writeups on a different site, so I don't have to admit to my friends that I am a member of this forum.

Sure hope you never admit to watching any movie Weinstein or any other Hollywood scumbags are associated with. Or literally any media ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

For that you get the head...

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Basebf555 posted:

The show also makes it clear as the seasons go on that it's not like they turn one guy and then he's the one and only rat until he's exposed. They're working on multiple people and there is usually more than one informant active at any given time.

This is true even up to the final season where one person or another was outed as an informant (Carlo?) in a way we're never shown.

Been listening to this Talking Sopranos podcast and they were going on about bridges in EP 14 I think and how they symbolize death.

Reminded me of Chase's original ending for the series with Tony driving over the bridge to NY and whether that symbolism means anything or not.

codo27 posted:

Wonder if they could make a show with a rat as the antagonist and make people root for them.

Bubbles in The Wire.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 10, 2020

«114 »