Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

RYYSZLA posted:

Depression is a "personality disorder" in laymans terms, IIRC

It's a mood disorder. Personality disorders are different.

edit: lovely snipe.

"The key difference between personality and mood disorders are the symptom patterns they cause. The main feature of mood disorders is periods of emotional highs and/or lows. Some personality disorders can cause mood swings, but this isn't the main symptom of personality disorders."

He is diagnosed initially with a mood disorder, and that's what Melfi initially treats, but a personality disorder is revealed (to the viewer and to Melfi) throughout the course of the show.

I was 14 when I started the Sopranos (15 when I started SSRIs) and have developed a lifelong interest in armchair psychology

escape artist fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

escape artist posted:

"The key difference between personality and mood disorders are the symptom patterns they cause. The main feature of mood disorders is periods of emotional highs and/or lows. Some personality disorders can cause mood swings, but this isn't the main symptom of personality disorders."

He is diagnosed initially with a mood disorder, and that's what Melfi initially treats, but a personality disorder is revealed (to the viewer and to Melfi) throughout the course of the show.

I was 14 when I started the Sopranos (15 when I started SSRIs) and have developed a lifelong interest in armchair psychology

Thanks for covering that so no one else had to.

My meaning in them alluding to personality disorders was that it seemed like Melfi knew, instinctively that Tony would be put on guard if she revealed to him that narcissists often have narcissistic children. Or the varieties of stress and problems that can come with other personality disorders. At first, she categorizes it simply as "depression" because it seems to be a good starting place.

Although after the first season, she goes on guard herself since Tony puts her in danger and is now trying to sabotage the therapy in an attempt to tell himself he's fine after all. And with the accompanying goal of getting in Melfi's (Livia's? :gonk:) pants.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

PostNouveau posted:

Good callback: In the pilot or some early episode, Melfi tells Tony if he wants to be a better mobster, he should read The Art of War. In the late Season 3 episode where he's banging another of her patients, she suspects it and tells him his new philosophies seem to have an Eastern flavor (implying he learned Buddhism from her other patient) and he tells her "yeah, Sun Tzu, I told you about him". A perfect bit of narcissistic reframing.

Tony constantly regifting the wisdom or advice other people give him to try and have a high ground is one of my favorite traits of his across the series. The one that always comes to mind is the stretch early in s6 where he keeps telling people how they “go about in pity” for themselves.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

escape artist posted:

Fair play, is that the modern ICD-10 or DSM....V? definition, if so then I was completely wrong lol. Seems like there's a fair overlap in the case of depression though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I keep meaning to post this and then forgetting, but I wanted to share my one of my favourite pieces of writing ever on The Sopranos: Tony’s Vicarious Patricide. I read it just after I finished the show for the first time and it’s always stuck with me.

Essentially it argues that Tony’s subconscious hate towards his father for limiting his opportunities in life (among other things), which is only really overtly touched upon in a handful of episodes of the show, informs his character almost as much as his feelings towards his mother, especially towards the end, with Chris’ murder being the ultimate expression of this.

I think this thread is more clued into this than a lot of places I’ve seen Sopranos discussed online, with a lot of the discussion during the season 6.2 recaps talking about Tony beginning to reject several father figures in his life, which I think is 100% accurate, but I would take it further than that. For instance, I think it was only mentioned in passing during the Chasing It discussion that Tony’s father told him to never gamble and how it was a terrible thing to do, but that completely informs that entire episode and everything involving Tony’s gambling issues - overtly, it definitely feels a bit rushed and I would still call that episode the weakest of 6.2 because of it, but on another level it fits perfectly with the rejection of everything paternal in the season.

While there are so many different motivations tied up in Chris’ murder, all of which are super important and inherently intertwined, I do subscribe to the theory that the “patricide” mentioned in the essay, brought upon by the viewing the branch going through the car seat, is the one most important to the decision Tony makes in that moment, and on the whole this element to the show is part of what makes it (imo) one of if not the most emotionally intelligent show ever made, and my personal favourite.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I keep meaning to post this and then forgetting, but I wanted to share my one of my favourite pieces of writing ever on The Sopranos: Tony’s Vicarious Patricide. I read it just after I finished the show for the first time and it’s always stuck with me.

This is really good, thanks!

It got me thinking about A.J.'s panic attacks. The show doesn't dig into them to get the root cause like it does Tony's, but it looks to me like A.J.'s aren't hidden behind symbols. He passes out at football practice after being named captain (given a leadership role like Tony) and when Tony's praising him for how strong he looks in the military school uniform (he's becoming the type of strong man Tony respects). He fears becoming like Tony.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://twitter.com/madisonegar/status/1280220464992997379

Whateva happened to Spongebob Squarepants? The strong, silent type

Also: Your fave: posed for photos with Ghislaine Maxwell
My fave: posed with Spongebob a lot for some loving reason

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What was his name? Sponge Billy Rhombus Face? Anyway, book him for my son's birthday, no excuses.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apoplexy posted:

Whateva happened to Spongebob Squarepants? The strong, silent type

Mr. Krabs told him he never had the makings of a varsity athlete. He never got over it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Mr. Krabs told him he never had the makings of a varsity athlete. He never got over it.

In front of all the girl pineapples!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dawgstar posted:

Solice Kirsk posted:

In front of all the girl pineapples!

https://twitter.com/JDLRG23/status/1280245501586268161

:3:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah I figured that was too easy.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Motherfuckin' goddamn orange talkin' puppet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vichan posted:

Motherfuckin' goddamn orange talkin' puppet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj2M189B8ng

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The fuckin comments on those borko videos are easily superior in comedy value to basically any actual comedy produced in the last decade

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

The fuckin comments on those borko videos are easily superior in comedy value to basically any actual comedy produced in the last decade

Those Borko youtube comments prove to me that I am not the only one who has the disease of communicating with others primarily via Sopranos quotes, so that's comforting to see.

Seriously though there is a quote for almost any situation and it's hard sometimes to not use them.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

codo27 posted:

I love the comments where Borko is included.

"Your Youtube feed's been light, do you have any idea how many Borko uploaded this week?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I got to the episode where Furio leaves. It got me looking around, and it seems like the internet just adores the Carmela/Furio relationship. I don't really see it. I guess I just kinda hate it when a show goes the route of significant looks and things unsaid being more important than communication. It works in like a Tolstoy novel but I can't really think of a show that pulls it off. Maybe Jim and Pam in The Office. This ain't it though, they're talking about carpet samples and poo poo most of the time; they're both just sad and lonely.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PostNouveau posted:

I got to the episode where Furio leaves. It got me looking around, and it seems like the internet just adores the Carmela/Furio relationship. I don't really see it. I guess I just kinda hate it when a show goes the route of significant looks and things unsaid being more important than communication. It works in like a Tolstoy novel but I can't really think of a show that pulls it off. Maybe Jim and Pam in The Office. This ain't it though, they're talking about carpet samples and poo poo most of the time; they're both just sad and lonely.

i wonder how much of that is just people thinking Furio is a cool character and wanting him to stick around more

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

PostNouveau posted:

Rosalie even points that out to Carmela, that it's mostly a fantasy borne out of the sorts of novels she reads. People are insane to think Furio and Carmela is some great love story, a large part of it is that Carmela is so sad and alone and reaching for anything as her marriage collapses and she lashes out at her daughter. So she ends up putting a lot more stock into the "relationship" while Rosalie points out that they haven't even had any physical contact and it would be a terrible idea regardless.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've mentioned it before how they are making out Furio to be Jersey's most eligible bachelor, and at the same time he is their most ruthless enforcer and even beats the face off a woman basically the first time we see him.

The deserved betrayal of Tony with a close associate is the main spice in that stew for Carmela

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

codo27 posted:

I've mentioned it before how they are making out Furio to be Jersey's most eligible bachelor, and at the same time he is their most ruthless enforcer and even beats the face off a woman basically the first time we see him.

The deserved betrayal of Tony with a close associate is the main spice in that stew for Carmela

Thing is, she didn't even know about Svetlana at that point. That one was really hosed up and Carmela points it out to him when she asks "The nurse you told me came from an agency? Who I actually liked? Who I talked to on the phone about your mother's alopecia and her bowel movements? Who I shared vodka with on the night your mother died? You've been loving her?!"

That's one of those times where, no matter how complicit she was or how much she knew about Tony's crimes, she didn't loving deserve that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wonder If Furio went back to Annalisa if shed just bullshit Tony about it. "Yeah bro. If we see him he's totally dead...uh huh..yup. No prob" *click* "So Furio you need to pay a visit to this guy"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Wonder If Furio went back to Annalisa if shed just bullshit Tony about it. "Yeah bro. If we see him he's totally dead...uh huh..yup. No prob" *click* "So Furio you need to pay a visit to this guy"

That's absolutely what happened. There is no loving way that Annalisa would've given Furio up to Tony even with all his calls and threats. They still have a working business relationship, as seen with the zips she sends over for the Rusty and Phil hits, but she probably just kept feigning ignorance as to the whereabouts of Furio. A lot of Tony's empty threats to Carmela regarding him were just that, he knew all along that he could never bring such a beef to Italy, especially with no proof. He just wanted to gently caress with Carmela during the separation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

Yeah there's whiplash when you start seeing Furio through Carmela's eyes. He changes too, with his father and trip back to Italy, but you compare that view of him to him trashing that brothel and beating up the owner and his girlfriend.

Or that episode where the guy scams Artie Bucco out of $50,000 and then beats Artie up when he comes to collect, and the punchline of the episode is Furio just showing up at the guy's place. They don't even show the beating, it just ends with him opening the door and you're left to think about how much he's gonna wreck this dude.

For Carmela though, he's a homemaker. Got a nice domestic life going. Very interested in interior decorating for his mother's place. Maybe grow some grapes in the backyard to make his own wine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

For Carmela though, he's a homemaker. Got a nice domestic life going. Very interested in interior decorating for his mother's place. Maybe grow some grapes in the backyard to make his own wine.

Also he's such a dancer! He would probably go out and dance with her!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Listening to the last episode of Talking Sopranos and Steven R. Schirripa said that without a doubt Jimmy was a rat.

I don't think that was ever completely established and wonder if he had any script information or something but I always got the feeling that was intentionally left open to interpretation to give Tony an out with Big Pussy and to generate subterfuge with T's decisions.

Also, god drat, someone message these guys and tell them to fix the loving volume on this awesome podcast. It's driving me nuts I can only listen to it as I'm going to bed at night.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe one of the best laughs in the show in the opener to Season 5. Tony demands Melfi tell him why she won't date him, insisting over and over that he can handle it. She makes it about 3 sentences into talking about how his life is reprehensible before he starts screaming and storms off.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If only Jimmy could have hung around long enough for someone to come up with a good comedy role for him. I mean like, an actual comedy film.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

codo27 posted:

If only Jimmy could have hung around long enough for someone to come up with a good comedy role for him. I mean like, an actual comedy film.

He was brilliant in God of Carnage on Broadway back in 2009.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why did you have to show me that? How did I never hear/forget about it? How can a movie with that cast be so bad?

You know its almost just as tragic that no ones been able to come up with any kind of useful role for the still living Steve Carell. Bruce Almighty (the last good comedy?) was so good and then Evan Almighty was...truly horrific in its unfunniness

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ah, they needed actual law enforcement to catch Tony.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jim Carrey is funny as hell in this

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

codo27 posted:

You know its almost just as tragic that no ones been able to come up with any kind of useful role for the still living Steve Carell.

Do you mean comedically or in general? Because if you're talking about the latter, he's had Little Miss Sunshine, Foxcatcher, the Big Short, Battle of the Sexes, and Vice.

codo27 posted:

Bruce Almighty (the last good comedy?) was so good and then Evan Almighty was...truly horrific in its unfunniness

What?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

codo27 posted:

He's very good in the Iraq war satire In The Loop.

BiggerBoat posted:

Listening to the last episode of Talking Sopranos and Steven R. Schirripa said that without a doubt Jimmy was a rat.

I don't think that was ever completely established and wonder if he had any script information or something but I always got the feeling that was intentionally left open to interpretation to give Tony an out with Big Pussy and to generate subterfuge with T's decisions.

I never really thought it was that ambiguous given it's the only reason for Jimmy to get out of a heavy FBI charge immediately, then start idly cueing up useless conversations about recent crimes with Tony and the other top ranks, plus how he reacts to Silvio calling him out reads far more as his getting caught than getting slandered. It did still let Tony wishfully think that it was an either/or situation between Jimmy and Pussy ratting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I never really thought it was that ambiguous given it's the only reason for Jimmy to get out of a heavy FBI charge immediately, then start idly cueing up useless conversations about recent crimes with Tony and the other top ranks, plus how he reacts to Silvio calling him out reads far more as his getting caught than getting slandered. It did still let Tony wishfully think that it was an either/or situation between Jimmy and Pussy ratting.

Yeah, I'm the "Jimmy was a rat" camp as well but always got the sense the show deliberately attempted to leave us uncertain in order to give Tony an out for needing to deal with Big Pussy. I suppose, in retrospect, it was more "look how quick Tony deals with someone who's not close to him" next to someone who was but, of the two, only Pussy was confirmed and shown as an informant.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Skip does say "Jimmy ate the pill for you" but that could go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On the other hand I never thought he wasn’t a rat given Jimmy coming over and spinning that bizarre and patently untrue story about fingerprint lifting off the coke money, plus wanting meetings over stuff they already covered.