Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The show also makes it clear as the seasons go on that it's not like they turn one guy and then he's the one and only rat until he's exposed. They're working on multiple people and there is usually more than one informant active at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Iirc David Chase confirmed in an interview somewhere that Jimmy Altieri was indeed a rat. Though I'm having trouble finding that specific interview via Google.

I swear I remember reading/hearing that somewhere though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's also ambiguity as to when people are flipped. Skip mentions that Pussy's "been on the federal tit since '98" but then in the third season Tony becomes convinced it happened back in '95. Jimmy seems to have been flipped during that pool hall bust, and Curto may have been flipped during the brothel bust. There's no telling how long Eugene had been an informant, but he was made alongside Christopher and knew Tony in high school. Jimmy Petrille over in the Lupertazzi family was a rat for something like twenty years.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watching the episode where AJ goes to a (lol) Mudvayne concert in the city and gets wasted and his eyebrows shaved off.

Tony's got a way out of left field wtf reaction to it where he starts asking if AJ has something sexual going on with a teacher and if they're doing poppers and sexual poo poo. I wonder where that came from. The soccer coach?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

PostNouveau posted:

Watching the episode where AJ goes to a (lol) Mudvayne concert in the city and gets wasted and his eyebrows shaved off.

Tony's got a way out of left field wtf reaction to it where he starts asking if AJ has something sexual going on with a teacher and if they're doing poppers and sexual poo poo. I wonder where that came from. The soccer coach?

No, he was already convinced that Wegler was gay and that's who he was referring to, though I'm not sure why he went with "poppers and weird sex"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

No, he was already convinced that Wegler was gay and that's who he was referring to, though I'm not sure why he went with "poppers and weird sex"

Oh I must have missed that. It seemed so out of nowhere.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wonder if they could make a show with a rat as the antagonist and make people root for them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Oh I must have missed that. It seemed so out of nowhere.

It’s literally only because he was talking about Billy Budd in that previous episode haha. I didn’t get it at first either.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Carmela also gets defensive of Wegler when Tony is making fun of her for suddenly being okay with gay people now that "she has a bunch of friends that are bologna smokers" when he has no idea she's been sleeping with him. That happens earlier in the same episode I believe.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s literally only because he was talking about Billy Budd in that previous episode haha. I didn’t get it at first either.

Oh, christ

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, when Carmela tells Tony he got Wegler as a college advisor, he asks "Wegman? The ricchione with the Billy Budd?"

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Man, I wish I could access the Sopranos / Wire writeups on a different site, so I don't have to admit to my friends that I am a member of this forum.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

There's also ambiguity as to when people are flipped. Skip mentions that Pussy's "been on the federal tit since '98" but then in the third season Tony becomes convinced it happened back in '95. Jimmy seems to have been flipped during that pool hall bust, and Curto may have been flipped during the brothel bust. There's no telling how long Eugene had been an informant, but he was made alongside Christopher and knew Tony in high school. Jimmy Petrille over in the Lupertazzi family was a rat for something like twenty years.

There's a deleted scene from season 1 where Pussy gets flipped but I reckon they preferred the ambiguity.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

escape artist posted:

Man, I wish I could access the Sopranos / Wire writeups on a different site, so I don't have to admit to my friends that I am a member of this forum.

Sure hope you never admit to watching any movie Weinstein or any other Hollywood scumbags are associated with. Or literally any media ever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

The show also makes it clear as the seasons go on that it's not like they turn one guy and then he's the one and only rat until he's exposed. They're working on multiple people and there is usually more than one informant active at any given time.

This is true even up to the final season where one person or another was outed as an informant (Carlo?) in a way we're never shown.

Been listening to this Talking Sopranos podcast and they were going on about bridges in EP 14 I think and how they symbolize death.

Reminded me of Chase's original ending for the series with Tony driving over the bridge to NY and whether that symbolism means anything or not.

codo27 posted:

Wonder if they could make a show with a rat as the antagonist and make people root for them.

Bubbles in The Wire.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 11, 2020

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

https://twitter.com/sopranosnocnxt/status/1098594020865921024

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My god this is the best

https://twitter.com/sopranosnocnxt/status/1095028964005801984

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

https://twitter.com/sopranosnocnxt/status/1089745464621068288

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Had to make a gif tonight

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tony furiously telling her she's not going to sue was great, but I loved even more the later season episode when Janice belatedly realized she could sue for being hurt on the teacup ride and starts "noticing" pain she didn't feel before, and Tony spots it and just grunts,"No, Janice...." at her.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

PostNouveau posted:

Had to make a gif tonight

...are you watching the Sopranos in 4:3?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The gif is from the TV that Tony is "watching" the local news on, iirc.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was going to say, “Oh, poor you”

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That aspect ratio, whatever happened there

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, so I can go out, gently caress your sister, come back Saturday, and it’ll be 16:9?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Tony furiously telling her she's not going to sue was great, but I loved even more the later season episode when Janice belatedly realized she could sue for being hurt on the teacup ride and starts "noticing" pain she didn't feel before, and Tony spots it and just grunts,"No, Janice...." at her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr2rUFLug0M

Love this scene as well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

You got me.

Thought it was gonna be the speech/love session deal at Livia's wake.

I've posted it before but Janice being the god damned kiss of death for anyone that has a relationship with her is really something that I didn't pick up on until my first rewatch. Bobby, Ritchie, Ralph. Someone in the Jersey crew should have gotten her to date Bitchie or Phil.

Also, I know The Wire comes up here from time to time and at one point I went looking for podcasts. Settled on Unspoiled which, after a rocky start, really finds its legs and has got me binging it at work recently.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/unspoiled-the-wire/id926116431

Might delve into their Breaking Bad one next.

really amazing how rewarding rewatches are on all three of these series (BB, Wire, Sopranos). You almost have to watch them more than once to get everything.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Long-term Parking, it's interesting to find out the episode initially had the scene of Christopher telling Tony about Adrianna snitching in it, and Steven Van Zandt and Drea de Matteo talked David Chase into cutting it. Probably one of the best decisions of the show's whole run.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Iirc David Chase confirmed in an interview somewhere that Jimmy Altieri was indeed a rat. Though I'm having trouble finding that specific interview via Google.

I swear I remember reading/hearing that somewhere though.

I didn't feel like there was any ambiguity. The scene with Jimmy showing up and wanting Tony to confirm that a specific amount of cash was paid out for some deal or another? It read as awkward as hell and Jimmy clearly digging for details for no other reason then having Tony say it.

Even the meeting with Junior, everyone is kind of serious and present and Jimmy is just puffing away on a cigar pushing for everyone to talk about stuff already settled. Literally no other plausible reason for any of that would make sense.

PostNouveau posted:

Long-term Parking, it's interesting to find out the episode initially had the scene of Christopher telling Tony about Adrianna snitching in it, and Steven Van Zandt and Drea de Matteo talked David Chase into cutting it. Probably one of the best decisions of the show's whole run.

The car ride with Silvio was one of those moments where the casual viewer could easily be fooled into thinking Chris really did OD or wreck and she was safe and then it just slowly dawns to her and the audience what is happening.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

The show's second best decision was using the scene in season 6. Great acting from Imperioli.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gandolfini was so loving good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That quick mental arithmetic of,"They're here for John, not me" and the way he just books it are absolutely incredible.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

Gandolfini was so loving good

Right in the middle of hemming and hawing after John asked if he wanted coffee. So good.

And that poor gardener got screwed yet again.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

If this were actually available I would buy it so fast

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ishamael posted:

If this were actually available I would buy it so fast

Looks real enough to me. I think it's a custom 1 of 1 though.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

escape artist posted:

Looks real enough to me. I think it's a custom 1 of 1 though.

Yeah it's from danobanano, he makes just one-off toys. He auctions some of them off, but they go for a lot.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/SeattleSloth_/status/1283450097284644866

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Would they serve Goya at a FINE DINING ESTABLISHMENT?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Least believable thing on the show: Johnny Cakes guy gets with Vito after their fight. You got your poo poo together dude, you're like a catch, how you gonna get with a guy who goes for a loving pipe in a fistfight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The heart wants what the heart wants.