Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Have you heard the good news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

The show is masterful at getting you to love and root for complete assholes. These guys are murderers, thieves, con men, liars and extortionists but half the time I still manage to sympathize with them or succumb to their charms. Then they do something horrible and I hate their loving guts.

That's the brilliant thing about the series, really. Chase never lets you forget they're awful people. To compare it to a much, much lesser organized crime show in Sons of Anarchy, SoA's showrunner Kurt Sutter entirely lets himself get carried away with the whole 'noble outlaw' stuff and putting biker culture on a pedestal.

"W-w-we're with the Sons of Anarchy!"

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was it this thread that gave us “You’re either a “She was abusive to the staaaaaff!” person or a “Motherfuckin’ goddamn orange peel beef!” person”?

i was for a long time a SWATTS guy, but on my latest rewatch it was Paulie's "OOF, MADONN!! HE LOOKS TERRIBLE!" immediately after Maedo says "The main thing, when people come to sit
with Dad, the doctors want positive talk."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Matt Zerella posted:

Have you heard the good news?

We met at Thanksgiving?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

We met at Thanksgiving?

*shrugs in my leather jacket and turtleneck*

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Christopher: “even with computers, how could they possibly know that”

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
What I'm tryin' to say is....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vichan posted:

What I'm tryin' to say is....

Adriana giving him an adoring little pat after he trails off, as if to say,"Well said babe, you really nailed it there" always kills me :allears:

Edit: Well look at that, I rewatched it and she doesn't, I was positive she did but she just stares waiting like everybody else, which is ALSO funny just not quite the way I remembered. Oh well, there's nothing for it, time to rewatch the entire show all over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdP7f4_YL8I

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 5, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hesh's face is an acting masterclass in that scene

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Really is one of the best scenes in the show, Carmela even references it during his intervention.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sil nodding to himself trying to follow the logic is also fantastic.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Really is one of the best scenes in the show, Carmela even references it during his intervention.

my mudda's wake!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hesh's face is an acting masterclass in that scene

Hesh is a great character because he's the only - what's the word? "Associate"? - who has absolutely no delusions about their business and indicates with little gestures that these people are all kidding themselves. Even for being a motherfucker himself, he knows better than any of them that the whole "code" is crapola.

I think ultimately my favorite thing in this show is the little stuff. I love how when the mob dudes are explaining things to some square, they always do that finger wagging thing and they all have their own style. Tony usually does a little tick-tock motion with his finger, Paulie does the devil horns, and Sil gives an almost grandmotherly tut-tut. It's great.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

phasmid posted:

Hesh is a great character because he's the only - what's the word? "Associate"? - who has absolutely no delusions about their business and indicates with little gestures that these people are all kidding themselves. Even for being a motherfucker himself, he knows better than any of them that the whole "code" is crapola.

I think ultimately my favorite thing in this show is the little stuff. I love how when the mob dudes are explaining things to some square, they always do that finger wagging thing and they all have their own style. Tony usually does a little tick-tock motion with his finger, Paulie does the devil horns, and Sil gives an almost grandmotherly tut-tut. It's great.

As you go through the show I can't think of a single hanger on or criminal associate that didn't end up being hurt or hosed with as a consequence of their interactions with the mob or even just because someone was having a bad day.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

pentyne posted:

As you go through the show I can't think of a single hanger on or criminal associate that didn't end up being hurt or hosed with as a consequence of their interactions with the mob or even just because someone was having a bad day.

I dunno, the maid's husband got a sweet jacket out of it!

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Max Kurschner claimed in his biography that being an associate and a free agent was better than being a made guy, since while you're not protected by your status, you also don't have a status which makes people liable to gently caress with you, and you're kicking up money on a case-by-case basis, and in some cases not at all.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Kemper Boyd posted:

Max Kurschner claimed in his biography that being an associate and a free agent was better than being a made guy, since while you're not protected by your status, you also don't have a status which makes people liable to gently caress with you, and you're kicking up money on a case-by-case basis, and in some cases not at all.

I can 100% believe that. Security through obscurity and that

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Just found out that the guy who played Hernan also played Lucky Luciano in Boardwalk Empire. :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vichan posted:

Just found out that the guy who played Hernan also played Lucky Luciano in Boardwalk Empire. :psyduck:

What the gently caress? The dude who fingerbanged the underage girl's cousin on the ski-lift? :psypop:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't he also flip a car and paralyze someone? Hernan was a remarkable piece of poo poo, and that's saying something on this show.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PerilPastry posted:

I dunno, the maid's husband got a sweet jacket out of it!

Doesn't hold a candle to the grant he got from Lodz to do autonomous research though

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Francis Scott Key

gently caress his whore of a mother

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pentyne posted:

Brian the Financial Advisor managed to get away with a couple nice suits and a pretty sweet drill!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And a watch.

I love that Tony suddenly remembers what happened to the drill years later after insisting that it must have been Carmela giving his tools away.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, like a $30k watch at that. I prefer A. Lange & Sohne over Patek Philippe personally, but to each their own. I don't own either, but one day....one day.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why buy a watch when you can just stand outside for a while and measure your shadow?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Because then you need to walk around with a ruler and that just looks silly. Here's a computer generated interpretation:

Just ridiculous looking.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't he also flip a car and paralyze someone? Hernan was a remarkable piece of poo poo, and that's saying something on this show.

I mean, just being a Motown music producer in the 60's is enough to classify him as that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You're talking about Hesh, I'm talking about Hernan.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Brian the Financial Advisor managed to get away with a couple nice suits and a pretty sweet drill!

He ends up with Carm's lovely spec house so not really.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ungratek posted:

He ends up with Carm's lovely spec house so not really.

I completely forgot about that. She was forced to unload it on Brian and his family because she wouldn’t have been able to sell it otherwise. It’s one of the few times I thought Tony was justified in what he said to her, though he did it in an awful way.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I completely forgot about that. She was forced to unload it on Brian and his family because she wouldn’t have been able to sell it otherwise. It’s one of the few times I thought Tony was justified in what he said to her, though he did it in an awful way.

Love that fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6GbPBUVnk

"I'd ask for my piece but wait, there's nothing!"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Brians house collapses crushing his family.
*Tiny guy with puffy jacket turns around* "oh shiit!!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He can use the drill to fix the house! Problem. Solved.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks to this show I was able to explain NFTs as a pump and dump scam and what that exactly meant.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Dawgstar posted:

Thanks to this show I was able to explain NFTs as a pump and dump scam and what that exactly meant.

You're supposed to push NFTs!

(throws coffee in your face)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/sopranoscaps/status/1379576466761916417?s=20

so many cameos

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vichan posted:

Love that fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6GbPBUVnk

"I'd ask for my piece but wait, there's nothing!"

That's a great fight, but I still think the Whitecaps Furio fight is the best.

They always played with innuendos and doublespeak but the moments where they dropped the curtain and Tony got serious with his family about being in the mafia were always outstanding in terms of both writing and acting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All his talks/arguments with Meadow were really well done. I mean, everything was really well done but those scenes with his kids always came out fantastic. Like when he apologized to AJ with a pizza or when Meadow caught him drinking alone. What a fantastic actor that man was. I can't wait to see his son play his father's character. I hope he knocks it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Listen to Mr. Big Tough Mob Boss.

Oh, Meadow, no. Oh, child.