Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you're watching a movie on iPhone you're a certified dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I googled cinema listings here in the UK and some are showing screenings for tomorrow, thats a mistake right its only out the 22?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I would assume a mistake

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
According to everything I've seen in the US it's being released in theaters and on HBOmax on October 1st.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

roomtone posted:

david chase is doing the 'you didn't see the movie on your loving iphone!!' thing because many saints is coming out on hbo max same day at cinemas. it's the same thing every time with these guys. it doesn't matter!

Yeah he seems a little pissed that it's releasing outside of theaters. Too bad, i'm watching it on my computer and you can't stop me

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do you people in real cities have good theaters? Even the best relatively close to me is poo poo visual and audio quality compared to what I have at home, which should be impossible even for someone like me with a decent setup. And I'm someone who enjoys that theater experience, but its just not worth it anymore

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

codo27 posted:

Do you people in real cities have good theaters? Even the best relatively close to me is poo poo visual and audio quality compared to what I have at home, which should be impossible even for someone like me with a decent setup. And I'm someone who enjoys that theater experience, but its just not worth it anymore

There's a whole bunch in and near Boston, yeah, but you couldn't get me inside one right now, my risk tolerance is way lower than that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

codo27 posted:

I have an IMAX not too far away that I like but very few films require what that offers to really effect my enjoyment. I think that theaters are about to go entirely by the wayside if they haven't already and of course Covid aided that. A lot of times, my biggest issue in theaters (technically speaking) is the sound quality - or lack thereof.

But the simple fact is that when you watch a movie at home you can pause it to take a piss, rewind it if you miss something, set the sound to your liking, smoke a bowl or grab a beer, pick it up the next day if you get tired and fall asleep, tend to your phone if you have to (and not have to deal with other people doing that poo poo), eat your own snacks and food without spending $25 on $3 worth of poo poo, cut it short if you want to have sex or take a call and don't have to deal with people talking too loud and all sorts of things. Plus, if you don't like the movie, you can check out and put something else on without feeling ripped off.

I enjoy the theater experience myself, depending on the film, but the older I get I like it less and less for a myriad of reasons. For decades now, the consumer electronics industry has attempted to bring the theater experience home and they've largely succeeded, if not surpassed it. For the most part, I'd rather watch a movie at my house but gently caress watching any film on a loving phone. That I just don't get.

I'm not an animal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My spouse is running some speaker wire soon, so we can get surround sound at home. If I really miss the theatre experience, I'll crank the volume up way too loving loud and pipe in the sound of someone chewing right behind the couch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm too much of a misophoniac to really relax and enjoy theaters myself, but a lot of people really enjoy the social experience of them, of sharing an experience together that elevates it to a more memorable level than if you were just watching it by yourself (laughing at a comedy, reacting to horror, etc)

I'm a goon and can take or leave that type of thing but I think there's enough normal people out there that theaters aren't gonna ever go away entirely, they're just gonna have to reevaluate a little

i will say this though, seeing knives out in a theater and hearing a woman audibly say "jesus christ" the first time we heard daniel craig's accent was just as memorable as the movie itself (which was also very good)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Was it always planned as a theatrical release? I just assumed it was like the Deadwood movie a few years back that came out on HBO Max. I have to imagine the audience that would watch a movie based on a TV show is small. I think the X Files is the only show that successfully made that leap.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It was originally planned as a theatrical release for September 25, 2020 and then March 21, 2021. The simultaneous theater/HBOmax release was decided after it was delayed from the March date.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember gf dragging me to see Endgame and there just being children running wild up and down the aisles, it was awful.

Two Towers at the same theater many years prior, not being much better and my cousin who was with us getting mad and some little girl sitting in front of us turns around and says half under her breath, "don't swear at us you bastard"

I'm v much a goon though and when I sit and watch something, I sit and watch it. No interruptions. No looking at the phone, no watching movies on cable with commercials and poo poo, has to be loud. At one point I even theorized a component that connected your home phone to your AV setup and would auto drop any calls that came in once a movie started

codo27 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 16, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Halloween Jack posted:

My spouse is running some speaker wire soon, so we can get surround sound at home. If I really miss the theatre experience, I'll crank the volume up way too loving loud and pipe in the sound of someone chewing right behind the couch.

What you have to do is crank the sound effects levels up to Teeth Shattering and the dialogue down to Whisper Mumble.

At least that seems to be the default.

codo27 posted:

I remember gf dragging me to see Endgame and there just being children running wild up and down the aisles, it was awful.

Two Towers at the same theater many years prior, not being much better and my cousin who was with us getting mad and some little girl sitting in front of us turns around and says half under her breath, "don't swear at us you bastard"

I'm v much a goon though and when I sit and watch something, I sit and watch it. No interruptions. No looking at the phone, no watching movies on cable with commercials and poo poo, has to be loud. At one point I even theorized a component that connected your home phone to your AV setup and would auto drop any calls that came in once a movie started

You and me both, man. I keep chalking it up to me being Old Cranky Guy but a large percentage of my theater time over the last 5 or 10 years has loving sucked for exactly the reasons you described. If I'm Going to the Movies to See a Movie, then god drat at least commit. But I dunno. I don't get people who go to concerts and film the whole thing on their phone either so whatever I guess.

gently caress David Chase. I'm kidding but I'm gonna watch his new movie however it gives me the most enjoyment. Pretty sure either way, he'll make more money than me and it'll all be fine. At least in my living room, I'm not surrounded by 20 glowing phones and loud drunken assholes.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 16, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
To be clear, the September 2020 release date was decided as far back as November 2019 when I was at the con.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Was it always planned as a theatrical release? I just assumed it was like the Deadwood movie a few years back that came out on HBO Max. I have to imagine the audience that would watch a movie based on a TV show is small. I think the X Files is the only show that successfully made that leap.

Star Trek I guess.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Jerusalem posted:

Season 4, Episode 13 - Whitecaps

The door closes behind her, and we never see (Svetlana) ever again.

Perhaps the greatest tragedy in the entire show, besides the exit of Furio. And that thing with Phil's brother, whatever happened there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alright then!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
The shooting!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm baffled as to what this could have been. How do you fit Edie Falco as Carmela into a prequel?

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1440013387400822791

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Based on the article, I'm assuming it started in present day (or they tried to film it so it looked like mid-2000s Edie Falco) with something that reminded her or kicked off a flashback to the past.

Doesn't sound like the greatest idea, though of course who knows how it might have worked out, and they ditched it anyway so the point is moot I guess.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Edie Falco with The Irishman quality deaging

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
*Opening scene with carmella covered in blood in a diner booth*

"well that was gross but remember when I first met tone back in '72".

*fade to flashback*

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

*fade to flashback*

holy poo poo lol

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bip Roberts posted:

*fade to flashback*

YESSS

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Yeah I have to imagine her scene was part of some framing device. Probably for the best it’s cut because I can’t imagine anyway you bring her back, presumably after the end of the TV series, and not tip the audience into one direction or the other regarding the ambiguity of the ending

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The real way to watch The Sopranos is dubbed in Italian

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

How do they handle Furio?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Flesnolk posted:

:tipshat: commendatori

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

How do they handle Furio?

Jersey accent

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

the ambiguity of the ending

There really isn't any ambiguity anymore though. Chase himself has let it slip and referred to it as the "death scene"

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Better than going to jail I guess.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

codo27 posted:

There really isn't any ambiguity anymore though. Chase himself has let it slip and referred to it as the "death scene"

And Ray Bradbury says Fahrenheit 451 is about the evils of television.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think I said it in this thread or the GOT thread but like, yeah, regardless of what Chase let slip I think it's clear that he intended to have it be ambiguous and that Tony died is merely his own personal headcanon.

Because the way that scene is filmed and edited and all that, there's literally only two possible explanations
1. Chase is a loving moron.
2. Chase intended the series' final scene to be ambiguous.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I’ve always said that Master of Sopranos blog got everything right EXCEPT saying that it was definite. Is the scene shot and edited so that the cut to black could be a final POV shot from dead Tony, having been shot by the Members Only jacket guy? Absolutely it is. I have no doubt that’s intentional. But the ambiguity is the point.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

codo27 posted:

i cant tell if this is a metajoke about how people keep repeating this, so sorry if that's going over my head but that isn't what happened. everyone who says this is referring to an out of context clickbait article from a tabloid that makes it sound like david chase was referring to the actual ending that aired, but he wasn't. he was talking about a planned alternative ending, which even then, wasn't meant to be so straightforward. the "you realize you just called it a death scene / gently caress you guys" exchange was just banter between gentlemen having fun

https://www.primetimer.com/item/No-David-Chase-did-not-confirm-that-Tony-Soprano-died-in-The-Sopranos-series-finale-DjSvxk

quote:

Britain's The Independent published a transcript this morning of TV critics Matt Zoller Seitz and Alan Sepinwall discussing the series finale with Chase for their book The Sopranos Sessions that "seems to accidentally confirm Tony's fate." But the story, which the New York Post picked up, isn't true, says Seitz. "David Chase did not 'confirm' that 'Tony died' in the Sopranos book I cowrote with @Sepinwall," Seitz tweeted. "He spoke of another ending he considered, yrs before the one he actually wrote. Even that scene was open to interpretation. Frustrating to be intentionally misrepresented for clicks. I hit a surreal high point in my career today when a guy trying to argue that 'Tony died' at the end of the Sopranos linked me to a New York Post article that intentionally misinterprets the book that cowrote. I guess he didn’t even read what he was linking to. I am even more convinced that the dudes — and it’s always dudes — who won’t accept any interpretation except 'Tony dies' never actually gave a moment’s thought to what the show was doing and saying."

sorry to relitigate an argument that i'm sure this thread must have had one thousand times already but i still see people repeating that tabloid article unironically all the time and ya gotta nip it in the bud

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, I’ve always said that Master of Sopranos blog got everything right EXCEPT saying that it was definite. Is the scene shot and edited so that the cut to black could be a final POV shot from dead Tony, having been shot by the Members Only jacket guy? Absolutely it is. I have no doubt that’s intentional. But the ambiguity is the point.

This more or less verbatim what I was gonna say. So many people try to frame the ending as a mystery to be solved, rather than a deliberately ambiguous statement. The fact that we don't know, and won't know, is the entire point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Psycho Mantits posted:

This more or less verbatim what I was gonna say. So many people try to frame the ending as a mystery to be solved, rather than a deliberately ambiguous statement. The fact that we don't know, and won't know, is the entire point.

I've always taken it to mean that it honestly doesn't matter what happens after the cut to black because no matter the outcome - Members Only shoots Tony, the feds are waiting when he gets home, whatever - Tony has turned aside from all chances to change so whatever happens next is inevitable and it's not what Tony would consider a happy ending.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, the whole point for me is that Tony's life never gets better than struggling to just have a pleasant dinner with his wife and kids, something that ordinary people with healthy relationships take for granted. Maybe he gets his brains blown out and falls face-first into a bowl of onion rings, but if he doesn't, he just becomes like Lydia or Junior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I also think it's interesting how the camera focuses on the member's only guy; like obviously the implication is "he's an assassin who's here to kill him" but if you take a step back and think about it, in-fiction, tony soprano's a local celebrity, there are a whole bunch of scenes that establish that civilians know who he is. imagine if you walked into a diner for a quick cup of coffee and fuckin john gotti's sitting there, you'd gawk too