Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just sat down and read this thread for about an hour, laughing like an idiot, most shamelessly at the scene of Paulie throwing the chair. The best is how they say whore, "hooah". Those hooahs! I'm going out of the city for the weekend and I'm going to read some more when I can.

I only watched this for the first time in 2016 during a lull time in my life when I was out of work. I was never a huge TV watcher really. And I've always liked mob movies. And I feel bad that so many people I know have never seen it, but all go nuts over your GoT and whatnot. Gf likes Breaking Bad, and we watched that a couple years ago. Didn't like it nearly as much. I finally convinced her to start this with me and we're about half way into S2 now. She "likes it but hates all the characters", hates them for the people they are in the show that is. She likes Jessie in BB which is insane to me. He is like a cheaper, dumber version of Chris. We watched El Camino last night and I wasn't really impressed at all. Having only watched this through once, its only vaguely familiar so its good, almost fresh in a way. I've never seen The Wire either, so might have to put that on the list next after this is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just watched that ending posted back on p9 "no more Butchie" Holy gently caress that song. That would be unnerving without the show

Someone needs to dub it over Manolo and Gina looking at each other at Tony's wedding

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mentioned how I laughed at the clip of Paulie throwing the chair, I don't remember my reaction the first time I saw that episode. We came to it last night and I laughed so hard, prob top 3 most/hardest laughing I've done in my life, basically the whole rest of the episode. Could barely keep up with what was going on. Throwing a chair at loving ghosts. How daft is poor Paulie at all.

It was great seeing up until and since that I haven't been able to get out of my head "it's bloody this it's bloody that"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Page 25 in the thread. So mad I didn't find it earlier and I missed chiming in on so many points.

I dont really see Pussy's sudden story about the 26yo acupuncturist being an attempt to get in their good graces, he knows he is done. One last laugh along with the shots, the most dignified farewell he has available to him at that point.

It did always bother me though that they are firing multiple guns down for'd in a boat. I mean okay, they ain't bazookas or anything but I feel like there gotta be some chance a bullet could pass through Puss or miss and go through the hull. Its only fibreglass.

The most mindblowing thing to me about the show is how they call tomato sauce "gravy". But I understand that I'm not only Canadian, but from the east coast too so the way we consume actual gravy here is already off the charts relative to anywhere else even in Canada, but especially when compared with the states. Friends say when they go to restaurants when traveling down there that they get weird looks asking for it, and then you have places like Denny's who will give you...white :barf: gravy. Had thanksgiving dinner on Sunday and its truly tragic to my personal health how much gravy I use when we have those big dinners. My sister in law calls what I do "gravy soup".

Also, gently caress you whoever posted that mulholland drive hobo. Or well, mentioned it and then I had to youtube it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know we all have too much TV/other things to watch and things to do relative to our free time but for a look at more white collar crime, you really ought to watch Boss with Kelsey Grammer which tragically only lasted 2 seasons, owing to airing on a network I dont think many people had ever heard of. Such a good show and like this, with characters you will remember for a long time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What was the bigger shock to you on first watch, Paulie's vision in the bing or Junior shooting Tony? The latter for me, but both shook me completely

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That's how I felt too, it's really like a horror movie, it's so jarring. I would venture to say most had no idea what he said on first viewing, might as well be gibberish

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still got 20 pages to go to be caught up so maybe it was covered but there was a cool little detail in s3e2 involving Tony in the hall just prior to Janice gathering everyone in the grate room. Involving a mirror? It's funny, I seen it but it didn't strike me until gf said it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Imagine Paulie on facebook today

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who's this remind you of?

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1187428737257791489?s=19

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxddINwarJk

codo27 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 24, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Going around for 2 days now with fuckin leave me breathless in my head from Meadow singing it as she took the bugged lamp

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You know, for the talk about the "golden age of TV", I cant help but think about two other shows that started around the same time. American Idol and Survivor. So while the Sopranos ushered in a new era of prestige programming, literally everything else was about to go to complete poo poo and all be reduced to identical shows in the exact same format. Anyway, time to go back to season 56 of Say Yes to Love it or List It Wars

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seen at Costco yesterday

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm of the belief that while music can stand on its own, film would lose a much larger element of its whole without music. Imagine Star Wars with none, or with some corny sci fi techno poo poo? The music is standing out so much to me this time around on my second rewatch. Living on a Thin Line will be in my head now for the next week or more after watching University last night. Went right on google music and bought it after the episode.

Fuckin Ralphie. Amazed at how long his leash is, I dont remember when he bites it or even if. Though I must say it was obviously hard to watch, not so much as the stairwell scene. So glad the misses is starting a new job on Monday where we'll both be on the same hours now and thus more time for binging. Almost regret it in a way because all of a sudden there are actually things (coming) out that I want to watch. Mandalorian, the Irishman, the Witcher, go back and watch Goodfellas and the Godfather. Need to rewatch all the Star Wars movies before December 16th. Jeez where am I gonna get the time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Often times when you get this immersed in a form of entertainment little pieces of it can begin to creep into your daily habits and speech. So what have I taken from the show? Livia's dismissive hand wave

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who elses family had one of those drat singing fishes? Then again my mom is the loving Queen of tacky

About to watch pine barrens brb

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want my forum name changed to Pop rear end The.

Also, Pine Barrens is basically the same as Homer and Burns trapped in the cabin

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Watching S3 finale last night, just as Jackie leaves the project house gf gets up to get comfortable again, sits back down and he's dead in the snow. "Wtf happened?".

They had to give Vito the tiniest pea shooter they could find didn't they. I forgot how huge he was

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vichan posted:

Poor Jackie probably mistook Vito's huge shadow for his father's.

this was good

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Adriana is a victim but also an idiot who would go nowhere in life without the ill gotten blood money of a mob boyfriend to buy her clubs and studio time and poo poo

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

At work, a user has a clock radio on their desk. As I wait for their PC to reboot, don't stop believing starts playing. An immene sadness falls over me

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I copped that poo poo as well and sometimes rock it going to work and whatnot. You know the band is english?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its become like "stuck in the middle with you" always reminds me of Reservoir Dogs now and a guy getting his ear cut off. Totally changes the mood of the song!

Its unreal the amount of things I've seen in the Simpsons and found out what the reference was after. In this case, long after.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Finnerty would be pretty close to natural James wouldn't it? Its been a few years

Just watched Christopher last night. About two thirds of the way through, gf speaks up "The episode is named Christopher and nothing to do with him has even happened yet!!". :negative: In her defense, after the revelations in the previous episode, cant blame her for being focused on that storyline. Why did I remember Ade and FBI chick hooking up?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mr. Prokosch posted:

He's just a dumb child of privilege, that's it.

One thing is for certain, he would be a youtuber. A successful one.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Nah. He's too dumb for that even.

That was precisely the point. Everything on YouTube (that's made expressly for YouTube) is garbage by idiots

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Funny how our first real screen time with Furio is him beating the face off some woman, then in S4 he's Jersey's most eligible bachelor

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I toad you young people that crack is some bad poo poo!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Where, ever, have kids played a game akin to what Ralph's kid and his friend played with the bow & arrow? Why not just target practice at the tree? It just seems stretch even for dumb kid territory. Also was there ever any mention before that he even had a kid?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A funny moment last night was gf and me both sighing in unison in disappointment at Chris shooting up yet again when Tony calls him after killing Ralph. That was a dark loving episode though, considerably darker than basically everything else to this point. No scene darker than this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDq-70caV0

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vichan posted:

Two hundred grand for insulting my wife? What's next, Carmine? YOU GET TO gently caress HER FOR A MILLION?

...He wants to gently caress her?

I'M MAKING A POINT!

The worst part about this being only my second watch and 3 years removed from my first, not many of the lines are sticking with me. I can see me watching it again next year maybe. I need to setup a beater laptop at work for just putting shows on

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Holidays means time for binging. We just got done the last 2 eps of 4 and premiere of season 5. Gf (first time) spoke up "I wish I didn't know the ending" to which I replied "you don't". Even though she read about it years ago it's not the same as experiencing it. But she insisted "he gets shot and it's left ambiguous" which I thought was funny to remember it that way. She's in for a surprise.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Funny what HD does to your old favorites. Seeing AJ after he had his eyebrows "shaved", he looks like fuckin Emperor Palpatine.

I think gfs favorite thing about the show is waiting to see what awful outfit/hair Carmella will be sporting next

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Imagine having Tony's power and influence and not being able to reign in fuckin Anthony. God I can't stand that kid, even though it's not all his fault that he is the way he is.

I mean really. How often have you ever heard of a dad that mean who's kids didn't fear him?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I must confess a cardinal sin. Its been a month since my last confession. I've read the whole thread, except.. the writeups. Its just too much! I dont have that kinda time. But I had to go back and read the one for S5E7 after watching it last night. What an episode. Really drives home how putrid the entire makeup of Tony's life is, if it wasn't already apparent enough.

I thought it funny that he gave her the whole 150k after she made it obvious she would blow the works on bullshit, strange for Tony. Even that aside, I could have seen him giving her 50k and keeping the 100. Thought gf was going to cringe to death and fall through the couch and floor and all when Fran was doing the happy birthday thing.

I had forgotten how low on the pole Phil started out after getting out of jail. Knowing how it ends up, Tony chasing him in traffic and nearly killing him sure seems different.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wtf is Tony B's ringtone? Its driving me nuts.

Watched Test Dream last night before bed. I wondered, what did my dreams have in store for me after that? Whole bunch of random nonsense, ending with me discovering (for the umpteeth time in a dream) one of my main chompers were loose. What was the significance of Tony losing his teeth? I might as well have went on in to Long Term Parking, didn't hardly sleep a wink anyways.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I believe it was said fairly early in the thread, and likely often. The show is about how loving rotten these people all are. To the core. But dont think its just the mob. Because many regular joes would be almost as bad in a lot of ways short of pulling the trigger on someone.

I gotta listen to that poo poo again, I just dont hear Champions out of that ringtone.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Out for supper tonight at a fish&chips place that surprisingly has the best chicken around, anyway we ordered but then I got some onion rings for the table...didn't die

Also I had a dream the other night where I'm pretty sure I was going down on Meadow so theres that

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The more you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

On the topic of vehicles, something I for once noticed that probably no one else did, Bennys? Camaro that's in the S5 finale that Chris gets into once he first goes on the lam, it's featured in an earlier episode too, I think when they pay a visit to feech. It's got IROC decals on it. There was never any such car! The IROC was only an edition for the mullet mobile third gen Camaros. Someone must have added the decals, probably completely unrelated to the show