Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are there any good analyses into the depiction of food preparation in these wiseguy movies/shows?

The Godfather started it off with Clemenza's meatballs. You have the prison cooking scene in Goodfellas. I was watching the episode where Ralph is teaching Jackie Jr how to make his spaghetti and sauce and you could really feel the homage to Clemenza and Michael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

banned from Starbucks posted:

Plus Tony basically gets a free horse out of the relationship and a sizable part of Ralph's winnings every race. It's not until the death of pie-o-my that he suddenly snaps back to remembering Tracy.

Does he think about her again though?

I figured a big part of what made Tony such a psychopath was his total lack of empathy for people who aren't his direct family (Tracee is pointed out as being Meadow's age why he initially feels remorse for her) and his excessive reaction to people who wrong animals (Pie-o-mie, Adrianna's dog, Irina feeding the ducks)

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

I laughed a lot at this

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

Also if you look closely, it looks like there are two god drat spikes sticking out of shadow Livia's back :stare:

It's definitely my favourite dream sequency along with Coach Molinaro (which happens during season 5 but the 11th episode aswell... 11th hour?).

I think that whole sequence becomes foreboding for the eventual murder of Tony B.

- 2 old style Americana houses with wide front porches
- the dream one is perfect and clean, no music with a far shot and Tony approaches from the right in front of the camera, sees his deceased mother and tries to enter the house but the dream goes to black before he does
- in the house of reality, it is grimy and dirty, paint flaking off the columns and bannisters. The music is loud and drowns everything out and with a close-up shot of Tony B. As he looks in the door, Tony now approaches from the left in front of the camera. The Animal Blundetto is killed before he can enter the house and his reality goes to black.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Vichan posted:

Paulie's mom is the most wholesome part of The Sopranos, an anti-Livia. Really makes you wonder how Paulie could've ended up so rotten.

They both have lovely paternal figures though.

It's really telling in the pilot that Carmella's reaction to Tony telling her that he's in therapy "You told them about your father, right?" but yet he goes on and on about Livia in each season. Tony is kind of like the unreliable narrator with Melfi, trying to put who he is on his mother but in the text of the show, his father was as much of a violent sociopath and a serial adulterer as Tony grew up to be.

Paulie was kicked out of the army for being so psychologically disturbed, he definitely didn't get that from his mother.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Also, going back to "Full Leather Jacket" for a moment, if you pay attention in the scene where Matt and Sean are bothering Tony in the Bing restroom, the paper towel dispenser is empty when Tony tries to use it. So when he's loving with Sean after he stupidly mentions the safecracking job, Tony's not just checking for a wire, he's also drying his hands on his shirt.

Tony is a very resourceful person. He has smarts, personality, leadership potential; all the perquisites to lead young men onto the field of sport.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

JethroMcB posted:

Babish is on the Sopranos kick this week. I made baked ziti (well, penne) last night and it sure as hell didn't look as good as Carm's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_BGPTK3GQk

I'm rewatching season 1 and I don't think any murder affected me as much as seeing Carmella dump an entire dish of pasta into the trash.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Just wanna stress that as others have mentioned, I quite enjoy the Tony B plot but it's still distracting how he just kind of appears out of thin air with this supposed massive importance to Tony's entire life.

I'm not apologising for bad writing or anything but I've always enjoyed the contradiction of Tony being mad that nobody can do prison time anymore and Tony/the mafia doing an utterly poo poo job looking after people who are doing prison time. For all the talk of "if something happens to you, you will be looked after", in reality it's all bullshit because once you go away you become persona non grata. And considering how much of a habitual user and abuser of people Tony is, I think it's narratively consistent that even someone as close as Tony B can be held in such disregard until he reappears.

Ercole DiMeo is mentioned in like the first episode and it's assumed for the whole 6 seasons he's still in prison. But nobody ever mentions him or talks about visiting him... the founder of the NJ family and nobody even mentions in passing "I went up to see the old man" or "I gave the old man's wife her package".

Paulie does some small time and we see first hand his mistreatment was enough to get him to betray the family to Johnny Sack.

Then Johnny Sack himself goes away and we also see how badly someone doing time is treated.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Vichan posted:

And as always the common man pays the most, poor Sal Vitro... :(

I'm the gardner, I'm the gardn---aAARRGHH!!!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

Thanks for that, Jerusalem. I have got ahead a few episodes and there are some great ones this season. One of my favourite episodes is coming up where there's a lot of utterly insufferable Meadow.

Subtle humour in the scene where Tony is denying having had sex with Adriana. When Christopher is calling Tony a "the biggest cooz-hound" etc., in the shot we see a picture behind his desk of a half naked lady bending over :laugh:

I love that there are so many little things like this in the show. Sometimes it's hard to even tell if they were intentional.

Handing someone a stick covered in dog poo poo is the ultimate powermove.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

He does it so, so well. The basically emotionless nature of him when he kills the dog, the way he's constantly trying to hide how high he is and how often, his addiction taking him to dangerous places, suddenly making friends that enable him, growing angry with those that love him because they won't support what he's doing...

She must've crawled under there for warmth...

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sopranos was decades ahead of it's time. It showed how debilitating being hit by milkshake was at a political rally long before anyone else was having this conversation.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

The 180 Meadow does as the series progresses really shows how she represents the liberal conciousness. Her privileged upbringing and sheltered existence means suffering and poverty are only ever a passing observation and she will always side with the oppressors and exploiters in society to protect her position.

Season 1: schooling AJ on how their father is really a criminal, confronting Tony about how he makes his money.

Season 2-3: "Jackie was killed by drug dealers", then can't cope with the realization of Kelli Aprile's truth by acting out at the funeral dinner.

Season 4-5: Has nearly fully accepted the Mafia are now some downtrodden proletariat class rather than a parasitic entity that feeds off and amplifies the suffering of ordinary people, "modes of conflict resolution", "You know what really turned me? Seeing the way Italians are treated." despite the fact that her father is a murderer and accessory to murder

Season 6: Has now an established career path as a criminal lawyer, abandoned immigration law and helping those on the lowest rungs of the ladder, likely to be defending the very rich and very connected from ever facing consequences for their crimes.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

Yeah he pronounces all his Rs and THes and is generally less nasal.

While we're on this topic, it's interesting how much Tony's accent developed over the run of the show. In the pilot he was much closer to Kevin Finnerty accent than what Tony's had become by season 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKu14HdgeZA

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
writers: "ok so what do we get Jean Cusamano to say to show she only vaguely remember's Carmella's daughter"

writers: "well what's like a meadow?"

head writer: "call her something like 'fielder' but less stupid"

*head writer leaves*

writers: "everybody good with 'fielder', then?"

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ishamael posted:

This episode was such an insane shocker when it aired, the shooting came out of nowhere and was so realistically brutal, it truly was an incredible premiere.

Also, woo! We are about to do the coma episodes, some of my favorites but I know they are divisive among fans.

It is actually jarring when you compare this scene of gun violence with Tony's assassination attempt in S1.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I love all the weird injokes that come out of great Sopranos dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX90ZoHltbA

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Michael Imperioli's cousin passed away from Corona :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEhI8PScdsc

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Speaking of the Carmines: learning that the actor who played Carmine Lupertazzi Sr. is also the same person whose life IRL the movie Green Book is based off was my bizarre Sopranos fact of the month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Lip

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Vichan posted:

Same with In The Loop and Killing Them Softly. Especially the latter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUs282cMa44

Gandolfini and Pitt are such a weird combination, but it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU9yXk9bLA0

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
In hindsight, for C to work, it should have been time for him to start to seriously consider salads.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
That 3 minute scene is so good, probably the best in the whole show.

Tony comparing the fact that he can't eat eggplant with Chris' drug and alcohol rehabilitation :discourse:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Most of them were alcoholics and Chris was the only one who actually admitted it. Tony was probably drunk or half drunk most of his waking life.

Tony's big revelation in Las Vegas is that killing Christopher justified his own gambling addiction.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

JethroMcB posted:

Shockingly, this delay isn't related to the HBO Max/Warner Bros. drama but because the studio seems to think it could be an awards contender.

I can't have been the only person that was expecting it to be direct-to-video schlock. drat though, going in blind would have been incredible if it's as good as they claim.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

No voice recorder, voted 1.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I am looking forward to seeing all my friends on the silver screen.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
:lol: I just realized that trailer gave me Cleaver vibes

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm setting my expectations very low from a director whose 21st century film career entirely centred around making the worst Marvel movie and the worst Terminator movie.

His TV credits look pretty good though.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just finished that episode. If you believe the cop, it makes me wonder would he have done the same to Vin Makazian had he survived to retirement? No more leverage against him anymore.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I forget the scene but the conversation Ade and Chris have where he's like "the US is going to rule the whole world" hit me really good.

someone get borko to make a "chris moltisanti, the philosopher" compilation

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I can't even transcribe this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsfY83ku6w&t=50s

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Tony B had an IQ of 158. He could only be vanquished by someone of comparable IQ.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
They haven't revealed which character Michela De Rossi is playing but the casting would be too good for it not to be:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Watched that scene and AJ had the best snarky comebacks

*to furio* "We were in the neighbourhood." "No we weren't."

*to hugh* "Open this one." "It's from him."

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just watched that final scene with Christopher. When I saw that the first time I was so sure he had flipped for the FBI, being picked up between JT Dolan and going home to fix the plants in the garden. Watching for the third time, the similarities between Jack Massarone and Chrissy's behaviour, it feels like even less of a stretch.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Not withstanding the shame over the prison thing, you do get the sense there's still a painful relationship between the two. Tony B was the dominant one before prison and comes out trying to dominate again.

Tony B has a bully mentality and you can tell he uses his intelligence to hone in on and attack someone's insecurities. He turns it on Tony and Tony redirects to Christopher to protect himself. Christopher, not as sharp as either, can't handle it or redirect it away.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
We need that Skyrim guy to rotoscope Tony fighting the black guys again but this time while seated in Holsten's.

it would probably fit so well, he's grabbing the bowl of onion rings instead of the steering wheel

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

It's funny how this thread can go dormant for weeks at a time, but then someone brings up the ending...

Since people are talking about the ending I noticed something on a rewatch.

All the way back in season 2 when Christopher has his near death experience and visits hell, Mikey Palmice's message for Tony is "3 o clock".

Member's Only would have come from Tony's 3 o clock since he was facing the front of the restaurant.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 21, 2021

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

"He was gay, Gary Cooper?" is one of the best line readings from Imperioli in the entire show. Up there with "I DID-ENT"

I love the comedy answers but I can't watch his delivery here without tearing up a little

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdpb5gqq44s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Thanks for this.

A lot of people think Tony B was a lot of wasted time. Maybe it was too on the nose to also call him "Tony" but the build up and crescendo in 511 is the best characterisation dump of any TV show.