Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Tony wants to convince himself he isn't a bad person who is the apotheosis of everything he ostensibly proclaims to hate, so he makes a big deal out of caring for vulnerable creatures like animals and babies because it's so obviously selfless to give to these things. It's when he doesn't have these things around to distract and lie to himself he's left with just the reality of his situation and gives him panic attacks/depressive episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Either interpretation is valid. It’s a testament to the show that it doesn’t have one of the characters explicitly say “drat is messed up for this guy to suggest Tony stole it” or “real rude to suggest that this gift is not in fact the nicest shotgun.”

The fact that it is an insult is clear from his tone, and the actors sell it well, and the edits make it clear what is happening.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

If they vote they'd all vote for Trump. Even Meadow. "The real racism is against Italians," come on.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Meadow would 100% be a Hillbot/Warrenstan. Ivory Tower liberal from a rich family who wants to help minorities but doesn't want them living next door.

I could see Hillary but not Warren. I doubt anyone who spends as much time complaining about reverse racism in the mid-aughts as she did became less racist. Especially rich people.

The Test Dream is good.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

With respect to lack of crew members, it’s regularly implied throughout the series that the family is undermanned. They have a hard time finding new guys to make, and guys who they do aren’t reliable. The only new made guys in the series are chris and Eugene, and neither make it. Tony also makes it clear to Eugene that one of the reasons he won’t let him retire is because he needs him as a soldier.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Tony sees Carmine Sr. in that dream (Test Dream?) and he talks about how lonely he is in the afterlife. Is that just Tony’s fear? That he’ll end up an old broken lonely man? Given how much of his identity he derives from being a big strong masculine figure, I imagine folks who are saying he would be miserable no matter what are right - no amount of therapy, material goods, or family connection has ever satisfied him, and the things he wants are literally impossible to have.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

just finished Second Opinion. i get that carmela is completely clueless about how the real world works but what did she honestly believe was going to happen to Meadow if they didn't donate to the college? she acts like it'll destroy her future, like they'll tank her grades or something. it's really odd

is she so desperate to feel like a part of high society and toss money around that she's convinced herself it's a crisis?

Upper middle class people who didn’t inherit their wealth are very insecure, and there are entire departments at major universities who’s job it is to squeeze as much money out of them as possible. It’s usually called “development” or some bullshit. It’s basically sales, but instead of selling an actual product your selling possible social clout for your possible golden child.

Carmela feeling that pressure to donate was one of the most believable storylines from the show. The fact that they wen to 50k and not like, a modest 1 or 2k was totally plausible since everyone involved there knows that the sopranos have a mountain of fun play money.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Little Carmine also seems to sincerely care about his wife and family in a way that the other made guys clearly do not. He's wealthy, got every material need ever covered, and has a loving family. Tony has most of the same but doesn't feel content.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It’s all cash in, they don’t have reliable income, and the nature of their work means they don’t have real financial support. Im not sure Tony has a credit card in his name, as seen in the Test Dream when he checks into the Plaza. A lack of proper bank accounts, credit cards, and lots of conspicuous spending on luxury goods will make cash disappear fast, especially when you throw in gambling.

In Season 3 when Chris first gets made he fucks up setting the line on his sports book on a big NFL game and he loses money, forcing him to go out and do a bunch robberies to cover what he owes Paulie. They’re petty criminals spending to try and achieve the appearance of middle class success.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I always found Meadow to be the most cringeworthy character on the show, and yea it's because of that phase she has where she's trying so hard to make everything she says sound so mature and adult, but she so clearly knows jack poo poo. It's amazing writing but I have a hard time watching it because of how awkward it is.

Honestly, when described this way, this reminds me of myself as a college student trying really hard to sound smart. Yes it's good writing, and yes it's cringe and hard to watch because it reminds me of my own cringe years.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

All of Melfi's peers were also giving her poo poo for 'treating' Tony. That kind of pressure, combined with the obvious odiousness of the man himself made the decision not that unreasonable or unexpected.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/mazmhussain/status/1434168103659782150?s=21

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Nothing wrong with fan service. Other than Silvio, I feel like the performances were solid which helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Chrissy is a bad person but an interesting character. He is constantly being pushed toward difficult life choices, and you can see him stuggle with them. The scene at the gas station where he chooses the family over Adrianna is incredible because you see the conflict in his heart, and the naked truth that he can't escape.

I wouldn't call him sympathetic, but certainly compelling. I found myself wishing he made better choices but understood why he didn't. It's rare to see tragedy done as well in contemporary fiction that they pulled off with his character.