Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Saw all the retrospectives coming out awhile ago and decided to dust off the old Blu Ray collection. There are so many great lines in the series ( the sacred and the propane still makes me laugh at least once a week)but one I must have missed was in the pilot. When Scorsese was walking into the night club someone yells out “ Kundun! I liked it!”

That and Paulie’s Car horn being The Godfather theme. I know it gets billed as drama but you could honestly call it a comedy.

God drat what a good show this was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nobel Prizes in what? Packing fudge?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

Shouldn’t Angie Bonpensiero know that Tony and Silvio killed Pussy? She was literally sitting at the kitchen table with them before Pussy left with them and he never comes home.

Can’t believe I just realized that.

She had to have known, she was getting "widows pay" from Tony after he disappeared. What is she going to do? Go to the cops? Testify in open court that the head of the New Jersey mob took her husband for a ride and he never came back ? They never found a body or any evidence that Puss was actually murdered, there wouldn't be enough circumstantial evidence to bring Tony in for questioning, let alone an arrest and trial. Every single one Tony's subordinates would have lied for him.

She grew up in the life and she knows what happened, but she was over the marriage anyway. Might as well get something out of it.

Did they ever explain how Big Pussy and Little Pussy go their nicknames?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Narzack posted:

One of the great things about the show, at least for me, was that at the start, Carmella was kind of sympathetic character. But, bloody hell, by the end, you realize she's as despicable as any of them.

One of the best scenes in the whole series is when Melfi sends Carmela to her old psychology professor and he just lays out in no uncertain terms that if she doesn't take her children and leave Tony immediately that she was complicit in all his crimes and the blood money she has will destroy.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best " Tony didn't die" theory I've seen was that the blackout was the result of him losing consciousness due to a panic attack. Never being able to relax, never knowing if it's a guy sent to kill him or just some rear end in a top hat in a Member's Only jacket, all his friends are dead, one of his Capos is about flip and Melfi not treating him sent him over the edge. We've seen him have panic attacks before but always as an outsider observer, this time see what it's like for him to go through one.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

escape artist posted:

If Marchand didn't die, how were they going to resolve the Livia testifies against Tony storyline? Has Chase ever said?

The airplane tickets she got in the season 2 finale were going to play a huge part of the Season 3 plot since they were pretty clear evidence of racketeering and fraud. Tony was going to have to convince his mother not to testify against him and she was going to hold it over him the entire season but I don't remember what the resolution was going to be.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

If anyone here hasn't seen Killing Them Softly, definitely check it out ASAP. It's a really good movie, so worth seeing in general, but it's also a great underrated Gandolfini performance that sadly was one of his last.

In the movie, he plays an over the hill hitman that is brought into town to do a job for one of the main characters, and.....well it doesn't exactly go as planned.

His performance as Carol in Where The Wild Things are is also completely mind blowing.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

It really does show how Sopranos had no illusions about the type of characters it was portraying, to again compare and contrast to SoA.

The line that stands out for me was the 'for us wiseguys, the hustle never ends' which I feel ties in greatly with the series' final scene.

The greatest example of their hypocrisy I can think of is when they are at the lake house with Bobby and Janice. Bobby is talking about how his Dad couldn't immigrate through Ellis Island because he " got into some trouble in the old country" so he snuck in through the Canadian border. He then proceeded to because a literal hitman for the mob, killing god knows how many people.

"We oughtta build a wall now though" Bobby says, since illegal criminal immigrants are only ok if they are Italian.

As much as they never really got a real handle on the kids the Sopranos totally nailed how loving lovely, greedy, spoiled and hosed up Baby Boomers are.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My grandma would make those except instead of hot dogs they were fried bologna laid on top of cream cheese and rolled up like a swiss roll in white bread. To this day I hate bologna and cream cheese.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Just in general I've never been exactly clear on what the New York/Jersey relationship entails. Obviously everyone understands that NY is more powerful, and so they defer to people like Johnny Sack, but is someone like Sack considered to be a New Jersey capo's direct superior? Or is it more just a traditional thing where NY is respected and feared but there's no "official" hierarchy that says Jersey has to do what they say?

I think that Jersey is and always was seperate and that Jonny Sack was not so much a capo as he was an ambassador from Jersey to NY.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You’re write ups are great, what are you using to get the screen caps?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ginette Reno posted:

I love when Ginny sees Tony come to visit and she just yells loudly for John to get down there because he's got company.

It's the most New Jersey thing.

It's called a " great room", but I don't see what's so great about it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

crispix posted:

That's great that he got the part. I wonder how he is acting wise.

I remember the Scatino kid was played by a fantastically bad actor who went on to be in abortion of a television show Nip/Tuck :laugh:

He's in The Deuce but he doesn't really have much to do in the show except sweep. He seems fine though, I doubt David Chase would be sentimental enough to just cast Gandolfini's son,he's probably got some chops.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Artie always seems to get his moments of dignity, or at least clarity, despite his constant terrible decisions. He's not nearly as pathetic, although I guess to be fair he's more of a three dimensional character due to actually being a main cast member, not just a guest.

I really liked that all of Artie's good decisions were actually Charmain's. He wanted to get into that meat sauce business with Tony( the look on her face when he tells her V reminds people of vagina is priceless). The only reason he fell for that fake italian liquor scam is that Charmain wasn't around to call him an idiot.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

Oh but she does call him out after he makes the deal and it starts falling apart right?

She says something like "What's the matter Artie, your business deal not working out?"

You know I haven't seen season 4 in a long time but I thought at that point they were either getting divorced or at least separated. I'm probably wrong. I really do love Charmain's character. She's really the only person in the show who actually the gangster for and what they really were and was the only who would actually call them out on their poo poo to their faces.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

I don't think she gets mentioned after turning Meadow onto Jackie Jr. having X.

They really, really nailed the " sheltered country kid freaking out the first semester in college" aspect of that character. One of my friends down the hall had a room mate freshman year from the middle of Iowa who started out as a normal, slightly awkward guy who by the middle of the second quarter was making GBS threads into tube socks, wrapping them in tinfoil and dryer sheets and hiding them in a shoe box under his bed.

He also only ate the chicken fingers from the cafeteria( breakfast lunch and dinner) and got kicked out of the anime club. I have no idea how weird how you have to be to get kicked out of an anime club.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Andrew Verse posted:

Yeah, so, the dude is an anime fan.

But what did he do the get kicked out of the club?

This was a while ago and I might be wrong but I think he threatened to shoot someone after they had a 3 hour argument over subs vs. dubs.

https://youtu.be/ArQjiK6htCI?t=4

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

crispix posted:

That was Susan Blackwell playing Beansie's physiotherapist. It seems like having a bit part as a medical professional in The Sopranos was the way to get your career off the ground in the late 1990s and early 2000s. In a later season Buster Bluth plays a doctor :laugh:

I hope I am not pissing people off by posting about so much trivial stuff. This is just the kind of person I am :/

Will Arnett was the FBI mole's husband.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lezadysaw0M

Stephanie Germonatta (aka Lady Gaga) helped AJ deface school property.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoPBFV0LZv0

Lin Manuel Miranda was a bellhop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrRk5YNAh00

Also this dude did an entire rap song dedicated to his one line in an episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCx8xjHMt_M

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

Holy poo poo Will Sasso did an amazing Tony Soprano.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

That's right. And wasn't the ruse that he wanted Pussy's help to look over the boat he wanted to buy?

Which, if so, gets me back to wondering how they cleaned up everything. Probably over thinking it though and they had likely just arranged a boat NQA ahead of time somehow.

They do about 10 things an episode that would realistically get them locked up. They never worry about finger prints, picking up shell casings etc. I remember one episode where Tony pulls out a sawed off shot gun from his glove box. If he got pulled over with that it’s like 5 years minimum.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Never picked up on this when I originally watched it but in hindsight I wonder if Puss ordering mussells was subtle foreshadowing that he was about to end up on the bottom of the sea.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

I think it's assumed Jimmy was a snitch. I can't think of any other reason he'd try that weird fingerprint technology bit in Tony's basement, and they also call him out for wanting meetings over stuff they'd gone over already.

I feel like at one point in the series during an FBI meeting they had Jimmy on a board as a confirmed snitch

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GTAfq3i9Bs

Paulie almost literally annoying Tony to death is one the best examples of how deftly they wove comedy and drama together.

loving wrinkles like an old ladie's oval office.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I’m a few episodes ahead of the rewatch and just got to the Thanksgiving episode where Gigi died and it always bothered me how he went out. It seems like the writers were uncharacteristically lazy by just having him die on the toilet. They needed a way for Gigi to go out and for Ralphie to move up but without causing any drama like whacking him so a seemingly healthy man in his late 40’s just dies taking a dump?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man some of y’all never went to school with girls named Neveah or Mercedes who dated senior football players in 8th grade and it really shows.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone has ever spent time with Russian immigrants you'll know the rug on the wall is such an amazing detail. Every single Russian person I've met has had at a minimum 2 rugs on their living room walls.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, what are anyone's thoughts on The Many Saints of Newark and their hopes for it? Is it an HBO movie or a theatrical release? I've read both

The only thing I've seen Michael Gandolfini in is The Deuce where he seems to do a fine job. He doesn't have a whole lot to do but I doubt David Chase and Alan Taylor would cast him in the Many Saints Of Newark just because his last name is Gandolfini , he has to have some chops if they are putting him front and center.

Just looked up Many Saints of Newark on IMDB and I didn't realize what a stacked cast it has. Vera Farmiga, John Bernthol, Cory Stoll, Ray Liotta and best of all Uncle Joey Diaz? Here's hoping for a Joey Karate cameo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zbkAgdMobw

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack2142 posted:

I think this is an important question based off this episode

What is AJ's SA account.

Dad Capo So What

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, I never noticed until now that Tony and Carmela had a bidet.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Janice is essentially a black widow spider plot wise, everyone she ends up with dies prematurely (though not always of her doing)

Because there’s no significance to her relationship with Aaron the narcoleptic he merely “sleeps” in “purgatory” rather than outright dying/ going to hell like her other lovers

Yeah her arc with the Oija Board and contacting Bobbie’s kids on AIM was one of the darkest plot lines in the entire show and really showed what a truly despicable, manipulative person she was.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/22/744244166/shooters-lawyer-he-wasn-t-trying-to-kill-a-mob-boss-he-was-under-qanon-delusion
New ending theory;

Tony was killed by a guy who thought Hillary Clinton was harvesting Adrenochrome from child sex slaves in the basement of Holsten's.

Fuckin' Internet!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NutritiousSnack posted:

As much as I love this, I'm awaiting your recap of Whoever Did This, which is actually my favorite episode of The Sopranos and I want to here your take about Ralphie and Tony on

Did we ever find out how Ralph’s kid ended up? He was in a coma, right?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I'll get Strong, Silent Type up sometime tomorrow, I've been pretty sick sorry.

Hopefully you’re having a lynchian fever dream with talking fish.

TV IV POSTER WEDS ANGIE DICKENSON

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Chris was a dead man the second he went to rehab and they had this intervention. There'd just be no way any of his crew could ever brush it aside or tuck it away, especially with all the other guys knowing they'd be clipped in a second for a similar offense. I went to rehab and a few people at my job know about it and it's already marked me as a fun haver and capped my ability to seek a raise or a promotion. As it stands, they can keep me around because I'm good at my job but can always hand my disease over me when they need to. I'm not even in the mob.

Something I never thought of until now:

As much as Tony loves animals I just realized how weird it is that the Sopranos don't have a dog. Or even a cat or a pet of any kind. I don't even think he has a fish tank. Wonder why that is? Tony having a cool dog seems like a natural fit for the character. Only thing I can read it as is his overall fear of commitment but he could still have a pet and pay his maid to look after it or get Carm or AJ to at least let it out in the yard while he gives it treats and enjoys the upside of it.

It's mostly because animals on shows are super expensive. A single cat can cost almost 5 thousand dollars an episode.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

What about dogs though? Cats are SO much harder to film than dogs, dogs you can just train them to do something on command and then give them a treat.

About the same, and you still have to have handlers and SPCA observers on location. It’s a lot of time and money that could be better spent , especially if the pet isn’t really central to the character or plot.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

When you look back at the season you can really see the pieces being put in place for this huge earth shattering event between Tony and Carmella. It's really excellent writing because you have these other storylines rising and falling throughout but each episode also lays the groundwork for something that still ends up coming as a surprise in the season finale.

Melfi has a line in the third season where she laughs in Tony's face when he says maybe he wants to leave Carmela and says " Tony, you'll never leave Carmela. She's the one good decision visa a vi women you've ever made.She might leave you, but you'll never leave her". Pretty great foreshadowing.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just a heads up Steve Schirpa is the marshal of this years San Genmaro festival

https://mobile.twitter.com/amandamull/status/1172993657416355841

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rosalie Aprile posted:

Apostle Protection Program

I think Rosalie might low key be the funniest character in the show.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Fuckin' nosy? Eat your manicotti!

https://youtu.be/yauvR70OPB8?t=17

I like Tony B as a character and as a reflection of what Tony S could have been but I do think his introduction was very mishandled and uncharacteristically sloppy. They mentioned Feech a few times in the previous seasons so you have some familiarity with him and his place in the shows history but Tony B just shows up. I suppose it would make sense that no one would mention Tony B around Tony S ( gently caress this is alot of Tony's) because he would probably snap at anyone who did because of all the guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dominic Chianese should have gotten an Emmy for this line alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mADmg6_H1xM