Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah it's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVIwepliNeo

I think I need another rewatch of this soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm just not entirely sure what the point of a prequel would be. So much of the enjoyment of the series came from the characters and the performances. I'm not sure what could be gained from a story about teen Paulie or Chris' dad. Like, it could be good - but I feel like they could've just made any New Joisey gangster story set in the 60s.

Kinda reminds me of when they made a prequel to Only Fools and Horses and zero people cared.

stev fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 25, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jerusalem posted:

The look on Adriana's face as she realizes that he's going nowhere with this is :kiss:

She's the world's most supportive partner.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzVeLjj6Ao8

"Take only the children - what's left of them- and go!"

Whoever uploaded that used the word 'moralised' in the title. :allears:

I'll never cease to be amazed at the hordes of people who love this show because they idolise the villains.

The amount of people who insisted that Adriana got what was coming to her back in the day was astounding.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I loved The Wire and am incredibly glad that I watched it. Once.

I'll probably watch The Sopranos every few years for quite a long time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

banned from Starbucks posted:

He usually feels them coming on though. He doesn't go from fine to out immediately.

If you told me he was about to pass out I'd believe it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Started a rewatch today and listened to the first Talking Sopranos. Jesus do they work out the dynamic as it goes on? Steve Schirripa won't shut the gently caress up for eight seconds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's kind of it or miss for me. Like someone else said they DO have some great guests on and when the person is interesting it's a good listen.

I don't mind Schirripa running his mouth so much and I enjoy getting some behind the scenes stuff when they get into it. Some episodes are really good but others I just gloss over and tune out. My main issue with it was that for the first like 10 or 15 episodes the loving sound levels were so low I couldn't listen to it unless I was going to bed, even with headphones or ear buds. The bad episodes have a weird tendency to meander too much about...I dunno...pizza joints, some celebrity one of them met once, something they read for, a job they had, music they dig or whatever and, christ, listening to them, EVERY actor on the show was just phenomenal and the greatest character/performance ever and blah blah sometimes. I suppose I get it but it doesn't make for interesting banter usually.

Plus their god damned ads go on forever.

I gave "Made Women" a listen, which is Drea De Matteo and whoever Chris Kushner is

https://made-women.simplecast.com/

I enjoy that one for the most part but it's still half and half for me as well.

Neither are what I'd consider Deep Dives which is what people posting here would probably want.

Michael and Drea would've been a far better combination. I feel like they'd have had an easier time bouncing off of each other and getting into interesting discussions. Schirripa just doesn't seem to have much of note to say - he was a relatively minor (if great) character and honestly doesn't seem all that passionate about the show beyond the fact that it made him quasi-famous.

Really they needed someone with a bit more insight into the writing and production side - but it'd understandably be incredibly difficult to get someone on that level to commit to the whole series.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

codo27 posted:

So if you've been down that road, why would you like him? I really want to understand this here. I really resent drugs because I've seen them consume too many people.

This is a really bizarre thing to say. Why wouldn't you empathise with someone you relate to? And if you hate drugs why would you transfer that hate to the victims rather than the people who perpetuate the problem (ie every other character in the series).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In my mind season 1 was always one of the weakest - cheesier music choices, much more of a sitcommy pastiche feel, wacky 'my family's trying to kill me, but which one?' plot.

Rewatching it though that's really just the pilot and maybe a couple of episodes after that. When it finds its feet it's fantastic straight away. I think that awful promo/poster must have coloured my perceptions over the years - it seriously gives the wrong impression of what the series is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dawgstar posted:

I think the peak (or possibly nadir) was 'A Hit Is A Hit' which really did feel like a sitcom with a TV Guide blurb like 'Ade wants to go into the music biz with the help of a gansta rapper, Chris disapproves; Tony feels used by his new non-mafia friends; Carmela plays the stock market.' It doesn't have anything to do with the two episodes it's in the middle of, with 'Boca' giving us the catalyst of Tony finding out Uncle Junior whistles to the wheat fields and 'Nobody Knows Anything' where they think Pussy might be a rat and he vanishes.

Yeah honestly that's the only season 1 episode that I flat out didn't enjoy rewatching - I probably spent more time looking at Twitter than the screen. I was never a fan of any of Chris' dalliances with the entertainment biz though, even if there's something true to life about an amateur gangster producing a lovely made for DVD horror film.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CHODEGOD420 posted:

Stay out of our way, and don't be so gay

I like how Defiler sounded like lovely latter day Guns n Roses. That song could've been on Chinese Democracy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BiggerBoat posted:

Dominic Chianese is on the latest Talkin Sopranos podcast and it's a pretty good interview. He sounds really good and I swear for some reason I thought he had died. I might have been thinking of Bruno Kirby.

https://talkingsopranos.simplecast.com/

I was surprised to see he's only 89. I pinned him as late 70s when Sopranos started. I guess that's not a compliment but I'm glad he's alive.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's odd that the movie's gone almost entirely unremarked upon publicly. I suppose a lot of the interest won't be there without the old cast and characters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hope the movie involves Pussy somehow - he'd have been around during that era right? I always thought it was a shame that we never really got to see the good times - he's basically a background character for most of season 1 and by the time he becomes more prominent his relationship with Tony is already strained and he'd been flipped for a while. We just have to rely on what we're told about their relationship.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wikipedia says it's going to be set during the 1967 Newark riots. Making Tony around 10?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Coming into season 3 again. That last scene with Livia looks rough in 2021... Especially when you've just watched the episodes that all of the clips and dialogue were taken from. They'd have been so much better off just not having her appear at all. It's not like anything significant happens in the scene beyond Tony getting frustrated with her one last time.

Strong vibes: https://youtu.be/U58IdBjMeS4

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

One thing I'm noticing this time around - what's with all of the micro-scenes? There seems to be two or three scenes per episode that last maybe a shot or two and are usually weirdly placed. Like did Ralph pinging his toenails at Janice for five seconds need it's own slot between Adriana being flipped and Tony's family drama?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BiggerBoat posted:

Makes me wonder how much "experience" he has with those things.

The scene where he cokes up and scares the poo poo out of Jon Favreau is great. He really sells it without it getting wacky.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man it's been like 14 years

:negative:

Our time on this floating rock is so fleeting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JethroMcB posted:

Imagining an episode where Tony takes AJ and/or Meadow to task for broadcasting their wealth on Instagram ("It's one thing to bring your lovely little friends around, let'n 'em eat our food, ridin' on the boat, fuckin'...draggin' their fuckin' shoes across our carpets - but tellin' the whole world? About how we live? People ask questions!") but then also does something hypocritically showy himself.

B-plot: Christopher, struggling with sobriety once again, beats a man to death after he casually says "I'm addicted to my phone."

C-plot: Sil and Paulie put their heads together trying to find a way for the family to make money on slot machine apps; contains the classic scene where Paulie calls Apple support.

D-plot - Artie complains about Deliveroo before sexually harassing a Deliveroo driver.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Hearing Furio's actor speaking in his normal American accent was a very difficult moment.

:aaaaa:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mcmagic posted:

The 2 things that REALLY stick out that wouldn't be shown on TV today is the level of violence against women that is depicted and how racist everyone is.

I don't know if it would be all that different. HBO has consistently put out shows about terrible people doing and saying reprehensible things since the show ended.

Chris' treatment of Adriana is always a gut punch though. I watched the one where she tells him she might have fertility problems yesterday and the speed with which he goes from saying he loves her and wants to marry her to screaming that she's 'damaged goods' is a real kick in the teeth. Then it cuts to him having a reasonable, even tempered conversation with Tony and the gang about the situation. On my rewatch he's definitely come across as the least likeable character - I think in the early 2000s a lot of his behaviour would have been normalised and rationalised away.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RIP
https://youtu.be/gdP7f4_YL8I

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

davecrazy posted:

I didn’t hate it, but It would of been a great seven or eight episode series.

That's where I'm at. I'm wondering why I saw it in a cinema rather than over the course of a miniseries. It didn't have the pacing of a film at all, and it felt like it needed a lot more time to do what it was trying to achieve.

I do want to rewatch it when it's out on streaming services to try and work out who every character is meant to be, especially Tony's friends. Most of them got named but they went way too fast and it was only the caricatures like Sil that were really obvious.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wait what? There's people who think this? There's literally nothing in the movie to even remotely indicate it's in his head.

I assumed it was because of the scene where Dickie has a flashback/fantasy and is then suddenly sitting at an empty table.

But I doubt many prisons let people visit no one and sit on their own for hours.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlestheHammer posted:

A movie is still seen as more prestigious than TV. Especially one with a theatrical release

So was it just the ego trip of having a Sopranos movie in cinemas? I'd have thought HBO would've been begging him for a six episode series.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mike N Eich posted:

My only real big glaring issue I can’t get over is the revelation that Junior hit Dickie is so barely possibly foreshadowed that it feels like a gag. Juniors barely in the film. If you don’t have any knowledge of Junior it must be completely baffling. I actually quite like the idea that Junior killed Dickie, both over spite and possibly to help clear the way for his advancement within the Mob, but that’s really only something someone who is familiar with the show could piece together.

I feel like that goes for most of the movie. The only way to know for sure is to ask someone who's never heard of The Sopranos before watching the film (I'm sure there are plenty who just put on the new HBO gangster flick without looking at what it actually was) but I feel like it would be utterly incomprehensible to a newcomer. So much of it is referential, and other than Dickie and Harold's groups all of the characters rely on the development and familiarity they built up in the show. Junior killing Dickie would surely make sense to anyone who saw season one of the show though.

Looking back I can't believe they went with Chris narrating from beyond the grave. It's such a bizarre choice and so out of kilter with the tone of both the show and movie. That opening shot of the cemetery looked incredibly cheap too. If they really needed a framing device then someone like Paulie or even Sil (assuming he ever came out of his coma) would have made more sense - they could have been reminiscing about the good old days. Or even Junior - still rotting away in some hole with barely a thread of memory left - would make sense given the ending.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Annabel Pee posted:

I think I heard as well as the cut Edie Falco scene, they had a version with Paulie as the opening as well. I disagree with you tbh, since this version of the film ended up being the Dickie story, Christopher narrating was the only one that made sense. Maybe earlier drafts were more of an ensemble. Like Edie Falco would be bizarre to open the film since we only see young Carmela once.

I get that, and I don't think incorporating Christopher was in itself a bad idea - but having him explicitly be a ghost retelling events that he wasn't present for and didn't know about felt really odd. Especially when he's quipping about how Tony killed him and how he's in hell.

They could easily have had him recapping events from a point before he died since he's not on screen anyway. He could even have gotten details wrong about how Dickie was killed and had a whole unreliable narrator thing going on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Years from now maybe it'll go down as this decade's Blade Runner narration and it'll be fixed one day.

ruddiger posted:

It’s funny because I couldn’t hear him at all, the mixing was really bad in that opening boat scene.

That part was OK for me but some scenes had real audio issues. The one that jumps out is the kitchen scene with the big sausage - there's a long shot that sounds like it was filmed in a huge echoey hallway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Imperioli being an extremely arrogant jerk kinda soured me on hearing his voice.

Is that a thing? I gave up on his podcast extremely quickly but mostly because of Steve Shirripa being entirely insufferable.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

It occurs to me that Season 6 of The Sopranos needs that Twin Peaks Season 2 chart that shows which episodes are worth watching and which are skippable. I've only seen S6 once, and the other seasons two or three times. I'd consider S6 again but skip half of it.

S6 is the best season tho

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

stev posted:

S6 is the best season tho

Actually I take it back, the Cleaver stuff is terrible.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Flesnolk posted:

That's how all Italians are

Oh!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't say I blame any of the cast for not wanting to spend a weekend with Sopranos fans.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I did like it. I just would've liked it a lot more if it was well paced and more fleshed out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I didn't say that it didn't make sense, just that it felt forced. My issue was how pathetic they made his character and the fact that a lot of what we were told Tony and Junior did together when they were younger was suddenly with Dickie instead.

I never got the impression from the show that they were all that close. :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dawgstar posted:

Then you honestly missed some things? For starters in season one when they're making the toast of Junior becoming boss Tony explicitly says that the only person who maybe him taught him as much growing up was Johnny Boy.

Yeah but these people are all liars and kiss asses.

Maybe they did play catch, nothing in the movie contradicts that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gaius Marius posted:

Someone said Saul S5 is on British Netflix so you can just hop on a VPN to watch it.

Yeah Netflix is the main distributor here so every episode goes on there day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm actually impressed as to how much the paparazzi has chilled the gently caress out over the last ten years or so. Look at what they used to do to Britney Spears.

Now that every fucker has at least one camera on them at all times there's thankfully less demand for that particular brand of scumbag.

The levels of invasion they're able to get away with is absolutely insane.