Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

phasmid posted:

Yeah, I missed this one too. So that's another point in the column of "Tony may actually have a personality disorder"? They allude to it sometimes but I never think they said antisocial, borderline or anything outside of the context with Melfi and her therapist.

Longtime thread lurker first time thread poster

Have I missed something? I thought the general consensus was that despite whatever original court order puts tony soprano in that therapy room, he continues to go because he & his therapist, Dr. Melfi recognise that he has significant personality disorders. Not that they would've gone that in depth into the psychoanalysis in the early 00s but im pretty sure anxiety and panic attacks the way tony had them are highly comorbid with many serotonin-affecting disorders.

Of course take this with a grain (or spoonful) of salt, i'm no expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Tony wasn’t ordered by a court to go to therapy, Melfi was recommended by Cusamano.

Ok, I rewatched recently and was under a different impression but then I may just have been confirmation biasing myself.

Whether he was court ordered there or reccomended is the point, I think it's pretty self-explanatory that someone having anxiety & panic attacks has some kind of disorder triggering them usually.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, OK.

I know jack poo poo about that stuff, but I believe in the show she's trying to treat his depression at that point, not any kind of personality disorder.

Depression is a "personality disorder" in laymans terms, IIRC

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

escape artist posted:

It's a mood disorder. Personality disorders are different.

edit: lovely snipe.

"The key difference between personality and mood disorders are the symptom patterns they cause. The main feature of mood disorders is periods of emotional highs and/or lows. Some personality disorders can cause mood swings, but this isn't the main symptom of personality disorders."

He is diagnosed initially with a mood disorder, and that's what Melfi initially treats, but a personality disorder is revealed (to the viewer and to Melfi) throughout the course of the show.

I was 14 when I started the Sopranos (15 when I started SSRIs) and have developed a lifelong interest in armchair psychology

Fair play, is that the modern ICD-10 or DSM....V? definition, if so then I was completely wrong lol. Seems like there's a fair overlap in the case of depression though.