Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Weren't there 'ACTUALLY THE SOPRANOS ISN'T THAT GREAT IT WAS JUST GROUNDBREAKING FOR ITS TIME' takes circulating around for a bit? I'm re-watching and can say it is still great.

It is also much funnier than I remember. With one huge exception: having gotten older, Tony's mom is horrifying to me whereas my younger self found her much more comical.

Does anyone know what Monsignor Jughead means? The delivery of that line was hilarious but never understood the reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I lol'd at the shot of Anthony Jr absent-mindedly biting a pear after he spilled the beans about Tony's therapy to Livia

it's little moments like that

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC-6Rrjmjes

I forgot what makes it even funnier is that Livia is sobbing and AJ doesn't pay any mind to her

also, psychiatry being a "racket for the Jews".... my god

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

One thing I never understood was how quickly the writers managed to put together a good story for Season 3 after Nancy Marchand's death. If I have the dates right, there was an 8 or 9 month period between her passing away and S3 airing on TV. That seems like a highly unusual crunch time to start rewriting (plus there's filming the scenes) but I never get the sense that it was a disaster-averted for the show.

I don't recall the show's quality dipping much (until Season 6, really).

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Great moment for Meadow at the end of S2 episode 3 (Toodle-loving-Oo) as she scrubs the floor of the house. It shows that she is different from most characters in the show and has a conscience.

This ties somewhat into the inclusion of Barbara, Tony's other sister, who we know next to nothing about in the series - perhaps because she is "normal". This is important because it dismisses a deterministic idea about family genes. At least that's how I see it.

Shout-out to the scene in an earlier episode where Janice ("Vishnu come-lately") imagines Livia's face on the stair danger sign. That was a great touch.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

can't find the exact quote but I lol'd when Svetlana tried to explain why Irina was refusing therapy to Tony, who was getting increasing irritated.

Svetlana: "Russian don't like therapy, Tony. They find it like gulag, for political rehabilitation"
Tony: "....Alright well this is getting too hosed up for me!"

also laughed when AJ *legitimately* did not know what gutters on a house are, that actor's facial expression hits it out of the park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgvAxNRtHW0

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

"Billy Budd's the ship's florist, right?" -Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRPmMi1Mio

Great scene. Tony with his humor manages to keep the dinner from being completely awkward (which says a lot given how he mistakes Meadow's friend as gay). Poor Carmela. Some say her storyline with Furio is bad but I found it very well done, a plausible continuation of her feelings for that other guy in S3. She glowed whenever she spoke to Furio :(

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

"In Camelot" has one of my favorite closings to an episode. Tony telling made-up stories about his dad's mistress while his crew act very impressed, the strip club, the cigar smoke, the dark and depressing lighting. Of course, the music, too. Did not realize until recently it was Sessions by Linkin Park. Everyone looks awful in that scene.

That whole episode has a nightmarish quality (the 'Happy Birthday' scene for example).

I'm noticing that Season 5 is meaner and darker in general.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Barry Foster posted:

It's funny when you go back to season one for a rewatch and the show is almost cartoonishly light in comparison.

Is this your first watch through? Not really a spoiler, but it's only getting meaner from here on

This is my first re-watch after ten years or so. Yes, I do recall S6 being the point where I actively rooted for many of the main characters to finally get whacked

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Jerusalem posted:

What, and I cannnot stress this seriously enough, the gently caress?

I gotta say "Cold Cuts" (S5,ep10) is the first episode that I did not enjoy all that much. It was a 'character study' episode but it explored things that I felt were done better already in other episodes. The dialogue about the shipping containers and terrorism was... weird.

I skimmed some "Worst Sopranos Episodes" lists and never saw this mentioned, which surprised me. Maybe I need to give it another look.

Contrivances are also something I'm maybe seeing spring up a little bit more (not bad given how it's so late in the series). Such as when Tony/Adriana crash because of a raccoon. That made me go 'Hmm'.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

It occurs to me that Season 6 of The Sopranos needs that Twin Peaks Season 2 chart that shows which episodes are worth watching and which are skippable. I've only seen S6 once, and the other seasons two or three times. I'd consider S6 again but skip half of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

you know, I kind of liked the Chevy commercial. the moment at the end with Meadow, teary-eyed, hugging AJ is a nice touch. it suggests they've both been through a lot, i.e. their father getting whacked right in front of them a decade and a half ago, but endured.

this is the correct interpretation of the commercial :colbert: