Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Jerusalem posted:

Paulie taking Tony aside moments after Tony just got invited to the house of the big Boss/Don, in order to tell him,"Hey T, I'm going back to the hotel to take a poo poo!"

the actual dialogue is so much better

"I'm gonna hoof it back to the Excelsior. I gotta take a wicked poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I don't know what this says about me but the funniest all time scene in The Sopranos for me personally is Ralphie watching Sil beat Tracee outside his apartment. The way Ralphie reacts like it's the funniest thing he's ever seen is the clincher that makes him my favorite ridiculous character in the show.

In case anyone was wondering what Tracee is up to these days... https://arielkiley.co/

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I always assumed Carmela did the vast majority of Tony's clothes shopping.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
Thinking this is probably one of those cases where you're trying too hard to make an insightful connection. Unless there's a black market for these guns and Annalisa was already sending them en masse to Tony as part of his regular care package, Tony wouldn't have got it through her. Tony would have no way of knowing that Beretta only sells their finest pieces locally. It's almost certainly just the most expensive model Beretta shotgun Tony could find on short notice. Dr. Fegoli is just being a dick by pointing out that it's actually a second rate piece, which we see on Hugh's face when he says it.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Season 5, Episode 11 - The Test Dream

...watched approvingly by Artie who suggests he rub her muzzle.

Slightly confused, Tony does as he is told, petting the neck of the beautiful horse he has ridden into the family home. Carmela is annoyed, she doesn't want him bringing a horse into the house, that's a non-negotiable condition if he wants to move back home like he just told her he did. He promises he'll clean up after her but she's heard that before, there are to be no more horses (whores) if he wants to be back with Carmela. "I'll have to think about it" he sulks, then backs the horse out after showing off his gun to prove that he's ready to take care of that task after all.

In the empty corridors of a high school, Tony moves past lockers and stops by a trophy cabinet, seemingly taking strength from the reminders of his past athletic accomplishments. Applying the silencer to his gun, he moves deeper inside to the showers, peeking through to where the gym teacher is smoking a cigar in his office. Tony approaches quietly... until the enormously fat gym teacher calls out that he knows Tony is there, and if he's going to do it, he should do it. Taken aback, Tony gathers his courage and enters the office, nervously greeting Coach Molinaro, his high school gym teacher. Molinaro is unimpressed by his gun, laughs at the notion of showing respect to Tony, and then harangues him for never breaking free of the bums who were dragging him down... especially Artie Bucco, the worst of the lot! That fires Tony up, as he defends Artie for making something of himself, owning his own restaurant. Molinaro doesn't believe it, but even if so that is just the exception that proves the rule. He mocks Tony for blaming his mother in his therapy sessions (though he'd assumed he'd blame his father, just like Carmela assumed way back in season 1) and agrees that while Tony always had a talent for wrapping people around his finger, he also had a tendency to take the easy way out. Molinaro saw potential in him to be a coach, and discounts Tony's protests that he is a leader of men now, and his appeals to wealth because of his big expensive house. Tony claims to have a wife but Molinaro (who is just a character in Tony's dream, remember, and thus just part of Tony's own subconscious) asks him if he REALLY has a wife.

The actor who played Coach Molinaro would be much better known to HBO drama fans as Thomas "Horseface" Pakusa, featured prominently in season 2 of The Wire. He's introduced in S2E1, which aired June 1, 2003. The Test Dream aired almost a year later, May 16, 2004.

Is it possible it goes this deep? No, not really. Or is it?

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Vichan posted:

...But I can verify that he was sick during that time!

I've probably mentioned it a hundred times before but the boys never saw the irony in calling Christopher a 'Son of a bitch' seconds after he called his mother a whore. It's my favourite part of the whole exchange.

son of a bitch is a lot like motherfucker, just a general insult that shouldn't be read too literally

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Jack2142 posted:

I thought Chris did try to kill himself, but in the hospital had told Tony that Adrianna was working for the FBI.

I don't think there was any room for misinterpretation there. I think it might even be explicitly stated in season 6.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

BrotherJayne posted:

A body... like maybe that dude of Junior's that they tossed at sea with just TWO loving CINDERBLOCKS AND A CHAIN?

lol

this never struck me as weird but i guess it seems pretty unreliable. based on my extensive internet research it would work fine initially, and might be a decent permanent solution so long as you knife up the body real good to allow for gas escaping. maybe you string the chain down through his mouth and out his butt to make sure he doesn't slip off

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I wanna hire that guy for my birthday party

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Were there any other mob guys who were faithful besides Bobby Jr? I could have sworn there was another. I've been reading the fan wikis for the last few days because I'm bored

e: nvm, it Was Johnny sack.

depends on your definition of faithful and your interpretation of the show

there's a scene with the icelandic air stewardesses where johnny's in his undershirt, smoking a cigarette, watching two of these naked who-ers make out

me, personally, i choose believe he engaged in Sex Acts

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can't tell if Meadow or Carmela is the worse person when the former tells the latter and Rosalie about what Finn witnessed. You have Meadow who has basically been gaslighting Finn for at least a year, rejecting every aspect of his experience with Vito with a bunch of excuses and bullshit, but then admitting to her mother that she 100% believes him and presents it as fact. Then you have Carmela promising Meadow that she won't say a word, and then immediately telling Tony about it, knowing what will probably end up happening to Vito.

Carmela and Meadow know what happens to Tony's professional associates, but they don't know. They're oblivious and/or deluded. Meadow specifically, towards the end of the series. In no situation would they ever mention to Tony that Vito was gay if it ever occurred to them that it might lead to Vito's death.

It's just a fun bit of gossip.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

As one man rediscovers his Italian roots, two more are returning home with fond memories of their time as "tourists". The two Italian hitmen fly first class, happily looking at the "bonuses" they got for a job well done: an expensive watch and some mont blanc pens! Yes the cheap bastards in the DiMeo family "gifted" them items stolen from Lauren Bacall, but these guys don't know that and couldn't be happier. And why not? They came to America, saw the sights, murdered a high ranking member of one of the Five Families, got some nice gifts AND money and now they're flying home in First Class. The only way life could be better is if they were presenters at an award show like ShoWest or some bullshit.

They very explicitly state that they bought these items though?

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

They never say anything about buying them themselves that I can recall, unless I'm completely misreading what the subtitles are intending. Given we don't see them leave till after Christopher got back from LA with a giant bag stuffed with exactly these types of items that he stole from Lauren Bacall, I really got the impression they'd been handed over as bonus "gifts" (especially as the watch is specifically a lady's which is why the one guy is intending to give it to his mother). If I'm wrong about this then so be it, but I personally think that them just having bought souvenirs is a much weaker ending and don't know why the scene would have been tacked on at the end if this was the case - the final shot of Artie cooking in the kitchen is way too strong to my mind for such a straightforward scene to have followed it to wrap up the episode.

I'd happily welcome an interpretation as to why, my intention with these write-ups is never to try and claim some definitive take on an episode but to generate discussion, hear alternate takes and work through some of the themes present in any given episode/season.

I couldn't tell you why the scene is there, but I don't see how it's possible to interpret this as anything other than them taking the opportunity to buy luxury goods that are cheaper in NYC than they are back in Naples.

Also I don't see any reason to think that Benny was ever more than an associate.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
Yeah the 15 year old blowing Hernan is definitely Rhiannon.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Jack2142 posted:

While the whole Vito is gay and the made guys wanting to kill him for it, I think crosses over a bit from pure homophobia to an unstated "If he could hide this and cover up he has been banging dudes for years, maybe he is hiding something else... like he is a rat for the FBI".

Yeah this is pretty much the stated theme. If you aren't a tough guy, a real man's man, you can't be trusted to stand tall if the cops put the squeeze on you. To take it back to season 1, tough guys don't eat pussy. Having any sort of quality that could be construed as feminine is completely unacceptable.

I think maybe Bobby is the only one in the series who this didn't apply to, though I don't think he was involved in anything too high stakes until later seasons.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

escape artist posted:

Wow, Diane from Oz cleans up well.

I thought he was joking Gandolfini was so slim then that he was unrecognizable. I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure that one out.

he means nancy marchand ya goof

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Great write-up as always.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason for the lingering shot of the cleaning lady is that it's Phil's comare. The same one that he was with when the wire room exploded, and the same one that was killed along with her father next season.

dang good catch

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
Rubenesque

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
i think the debate has been pretty conclusively settled by now no matter what you used to believe

he's obviously alive and well

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
everything is always about money, and there's a hustle at every step of the way. what incentive does anyone in organized crime have to ever kick up what they're supposed to?

of all the guys in the show i think the only one we ever see never involved in some sort of hustle or lie to get more than what they have is Silvio

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
We know Green Grove is a gigantic recurring bill, and we know Paulie donates some amount to the church so they have him covered sin-wise. Other than that and paying his normal person bills he has to kick up to Tony.

It's true he's probably not the sharpest of earners, but the whole wise guy scene breaks down to money. As Paulie himself has remarked, you're only as good as your last envelope.

I think in the Sopranos universe it must be considered a fundamental truth that the more committed you are to making money whenever and however possible, the more effective and legitimate you are as a wise guy.

I can't imagine, between the ongoing hustles we see him involved with and the massive scores we see him take down that he's ever actually been in danger of failing to cover his nut. It's not so simple as saying he's greedy. Paulie is just extremely committed.

Suxpool fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 21, 2020

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
Either Phil or all of them, I guess. I don't know that we could fairly withhold the title of 'sociopath' from any of them except maybe Bobby?

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
Ralphie watching Sil beat up his girlfriend through the window is the funniest scene in the show to me just because it's so ridiculous to see a character who would express joy in that situation. Probably none of the mob guys would even be moved to find that sort of display distasteful, but only Ralphie would think it's the most hilarious thing he's ever seen.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
Recently watched The Drop again. I don't think it struck me very strongly the first time I watched it but I thought this was a really great watch. Excellent twist at the end that I never saw coming. Gandolfini kills it as usual in a supporting role.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDq-70caV0

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkBpnOt_fjQ

junior using baby domenica as a human shield

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
i'll build a ramp up to your rear end

drive a lionel up in there

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

ruddiger posted:

I always read it with a way more sinister implication, that Tony always knew who killed Chris’ dad, and that it was ok’d by the family, either by Jackie or Tony’s dad.

or new york but yeah i recall tony saying this outright? it's not like he learned who it was on the night the guy retired from the force

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
dick cheney for president. of the fuckin universe

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQtbbobDGJ6/

looks nothing like the sopranos and yet i'm so excited? gently caress

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Ralph Hurley posted:

I paused this shot of inside the pork store.
Who are these guys? Is that Paulie at the end of the table and Sil standing?

left end of the table is Ray Liotta (presumably playing Ercole DiMeo). you can see him again in the same seat/look at 1:45

standing up at the right end is almost definitely Paulie, though you can't see the panther tattoo that looks so old and faded in the series

thinking this must be Sil, or maybe Jackie

Suxpool fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 30, 2021

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

like a mouse pissing on cotton

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

I never noticed how quick was Tony B. was to insult someone in a "friendly" way to establish dominance in a conversation. He even does it to Angelo Garepe's son by making a Sanford & Son joke.

i believe it's called busting balls

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
phil leotardo? gay? fuckin slander you ask me

he didn't seem like a finook when he was talking his goomah into the wire room to "get something straight between us" right before it blew up

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
seeing as you're a dweeb,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

toggle posted:

What was the best closing credits song? The Valley? Running Wild?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxKjiQIqAeU